NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

"..that has something to gain." 

WTF does that qualifier even mean?

Also add to that she included “injury recon” as another qualifier. That statement can literally mean a hundred different things and all of them are bullish!t. 

48 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Overall i'll be happy if we get him assuming the scouts thought he was the best fit and happy for Jack.

But i've been reading a lot of scouts talking about his defensive game and it's not always too pretty and basically doing all the things we've been cursing our Dmen about for years now.

But at the same time and IMO you draft top players in the draft for their offensive ceiling and you can always get very strong defensive guy further down in the draft.

If we stay in the 5 overall range and he's there, he'll probably be the best fit on the board so the decision might be made for us. The real issue for us is if we end up 1st or 2nd and have to decide if he's better than Powers or Clarke. 

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If we stay in the 5 overall range and he's there, he'll probably be the best fit on the board so the decision might be made for us. The real issue for us is if we end up 1st or 2nd and have to decide if he's better than Powers or Clarke. 

I'm not a scout or anything but i personally prefer Clarke. And i'm trying to make that decision not looking at the players name, just scouting reports and what i've seen personally.

I'd be happy with Power, Clarke or Hughes honestly. Looking at our defense we shouldnt be too picky lol But as long as we can land one of the 3 i'm fine with it. Unless we pick Hughes while Clarke or Power are still on the board i think i'd be even happier.

Beniers, Guenter and Ecklund creeping in the top 5 is good news for as cause teams in front of us may decide to go with a forward so that's giving us even more chances to land one of those 3. The worst scenario would be if we pick 4-5-6 and that all 3 are gone by then but there's also this Edvinsson dude that is drawing "some" comparison to Hedman so it could be worst. 

• Like 2

I don't want to let my Devils bias get in the way (even though Luke Hughes isn't even a part of the organization yet), but I have to admit, the whole thing sounds pretty silly. "The Devils will be forced into taking him." Based on what source, an interview where Jack said he would like it if the Devils drafted his brother? The Hughes brothers tend to support each other. What else would Jack have said in an interview when asked if he hopes the Devils take Luke? "Nah, not really. He's alright, but I'm still hoping for Owen Power actually."

Has anyone else heard anything about Luke having any major character issues? I would be more willing to believe if I had heard about character issues significant enough to avoid drafting him. I'm not sure who it was she talked to that didn't have anything good to say about him, but it clearly wasn't the scouts that Bob McKenzie talked to that resulted in a consensus top 5 pick in his draft rankings.

Maybe I'm simply not doing enough "recon" this year.

But jokes aside, I will keep this in mind as a data point as it gets closer to the draft and more info comes out about these players. Maybe by then, we will get a better idea of any "character issues" these prospects may have.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone went through the trouble of figuring out the ideal scenario for the Islanders pick. but here it is.

Basically in an ideal world, Islanders would lose. The Preds, Jets, Blues and Habs would win. But the Blues are already down 3-0 so that's not happening.

Islanders (tied 2-2) > Preds (Down 2-1) > Jets (Up 2-0) > Blues (Down 3-0) > Montreal (tied 1-1)

So at this point if the Islanders lose and that MTL, Nashville and Winnipeg can win. We'd get the the 16th pick (17th technically but with Arizona forfeiting theirs, booya)

And well as long as the Islanders lose. Even if the Preds, jets, blues and habs all lose their series, we're still getting pick 19 (20th)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nessus said:

I don't want to let my Devils bias get in the way (even though Luke Hughes isn't even a part of the organization yet), but I have to admit, the whole thing sounds pretty silly. "The Devils will be forced into taking him." Based on what source, an interview where Jack said he would like it if the Devils drafted his brother? The Hughes brothers tend to support each other. What else would Jack have said in an interview when asked if he hopes the Devils take Luke? "Nah, not really. He's alright, but I'm still hoping for Owen Power actually."

Has anyone else heard anything about Luke having any major character issues? I would be more willing to believe if I had heard about character issues significant enough to avoid drafting him. I'm not sure who it was she talked to that didn't have anything good to say about him, but it clearly wasn't the scouts that Bob McKenzie talked to that resulted in a consensus top 5 pick in his draft rankings.

Maybe I'm simply not doing enough "recon" this year.

But jokes aside, I will keep this in mind as a data point as it gets closer to the draft and more info comes out about these players. Maybe by then, we will get a better idea of any "character issues" these prospects may have.

I already wrote a long reply on the reddit that I won't repeat here, but to sum up what I said...

Her and her "recon" have about as much credibility as a ham sandwich and she provided no evidence for anything she claimed.   

spongebob squarepants bullshit GIF

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not sure if anyone went through the trouble of figuring out the ideal scenario for the Islanders pick. but here it is.

Basically in an ideal world, Islanders would lose. The Preds, Jets, Blues and Habs would win. But the Blues are already down 3-0 so that's not happening.

Islanders (tied 2-2) > Preds (Down 2-1) > Jets (Up 2-0) > Blues (Down 3-0) > Montreal (tied 1-1)

So at this point if the Islanders lose and that MTL, Nashville and Winnipeg can win. We'd get the the 16th pick (17th technically but with Arizona forfeiting theirs, booya)

And well as long as the Islanders lose. Even if the Preds, jets, blues and habs all lose their series, we're still getting pick 19 (20th)

Also worth noting that the pick the Devils got from the Oilers for Kulikov becomes a 3rd if the Oilers win their series. Hoping for the other scenario to work out though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I definitely didn’t go through the trouble, thank you for doing it. 

i honestly don't think we'll actually keep that pick though. 

I mean if i look at what's available late in that round. We somehow have the equivalent already in our system with guys like Mercer or the russian D kid. Not saying we couldnt get something good but i feel using this first pick as part of a package, mixed with our cap space and team having to shed salary or not wanting to lose a player to vegas... it could be a way better option to trade it. But maybe the right trade won't be there so who knows

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i honestly don't think we'll actually keep that pick though. 

I mean if i look at what's available late in that round. We somehow have the equivalent already in our system with guys like Mercer or the russian D kid. Not saying we couldnt get something good but i feel using this first pick as part of a package, mixed with our cap space and team having to shed salary or not wanting to lose a player to vegas... it could be a way better option to trade it. But maybe the right trade won't be there so who knows

If we are going to try to trade for a solid veteran player, O or D, I have to imagine that pick is part of the deal. If I were our trade partner, that’s the argument I make, you already have a higher 1st round pick so the Isles’ pick is expendable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If we are going to try to trade for a solid veteran player, O or D, I have to imagine that pick is part of the deal. If I were our trade partner, that’s the argument I make, you already have a higher 1st round pick so the Isles’ pick is expendable. 

Yeah totally. I could see us pitching our first + 2nd or 3rd + one of our kid that we actually and promising and get a really really good mid 20s established player to join our core.

I think the ideal scenario would be a team that's kind of stuck with too many players to protect and that they know they will lose one for sure to the expansion. So a guy that is past his ELC but few years away from UFA. So that'd be the ideal age we should be targeting anyway. So the team gets something good in return that is all protected and they don't lose a top player they dont want to lose to the expansion, plus we're in a situation to take on salary if we have to. 

So we're basically in a really really really good situation to make a big big move.

Especially looking at our forwards, projecting a bit with Holtz in the lineup to kind of see in the long term where we'd ideally have players falling... I think Hughes, Sharangovich, Zacha, Nico, Bratt, Wood, McLeod and Bastian will bring us what we think they will. Kuokkanen, Foote, Holtz, Boqvist should be decent players at least. So i feel i'd rather even sacrifice one of those guys to land an establish forward that you KNOW will have an impact, than drafting another forward that may pan out in a few years. Based on what i read on prospects anyway i dont see many having a higher ceiling worth pushing one of our guys so. And not that i feel that we have an insane group of forwards, but there's potential for sure and i just don't see a big upgrade through draft this year around the 20th pick

Holtz - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha  - Nico - Bratt

Foote - Mercer - Kuokkanen

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Johnsson - Boqvist - Maltsev

As for the D... well then i feel we need all the help we possibly can and we still need to throw sh!t at the wall and see what sticks. Ideally i'd target an established young'ish D

Edited by SterioDesign

But I came on to say that I was thinking about the expansion draft and wanted to know which 2 out of Kuokkanen, McLeod, and Bastian should be protected if it came down to those 3.  Was going to post in the Seattle thread but figured I would throw it here since Sterio kind of brought it up.

34 minutes ago, Crisis said:

But I came on to say that I was thinking about the expansion draft and wanted to know which 2 out of Kuokkanen, McLeod, and Bastian should be protected if it came down to those 3.  Was going to post in the Seattle thread but figured I would throw it here since Sterio kind of brought it up.

Out of those 3, I think I would protect Kuokkanen and McLeod, not a reflection on Bastian but I think Kuokkanen goes without saying, and I have to make a tough choice between the other two. 

18 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Especially looking at our forwards, projecting a bit with Holtz in the lineup to kind of see in the long term where we'd ideally have players falling... I think Hughes, Sharangovich, Zacha, Nico, Bratt, Wood, McLeod and Bastian will bring us what we think they will. Kuokkanen, Foote, Holtz, Boqvist should be decent players at least. So i feel i'd rather even sacrifice one of those guys to land an establish forward that you KNOW will have an impact, than drafting another forward that may pan out in a few years. Based on what i read on prospects anyway i dont see many having a higher ceiling worth pushing one of our guys so. And not that i feel that we have an insane group of forwards, but there's potential for sure and i just don't see a big upgrade through draft this year around the 20th pick

Holtz - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha  - Nico - Bratt

Foote - Mercer - Kuokkanen

Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Johnsson - Boqvist - Maltsev

As for the D... well then i feel we need all the help we possibly can and we still need to throw sh!t at the wall and see what sticks. Ideally i'd target an established young'ish D

Sadly, we don't know how much "seasoning" Holtz will need,(and he will)  along w/ Foote & Boqvist. I think we need a couple FW's that can play in top 9 straight away.  Like JT Miller  (wishful thinking) B. Saad, (and on D) Ian Cole or Larsson.  All the other kids coming up are based on hype alone.  Highly unlikely any draft pick will to NHL in next 2 years. Maybe G. Clarke will challenge for a spot next year?

8 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Sadly, we don't know how much "seasoning" Holtz will need,(and he will)  along w/ Foote & Boqvist. I think we need a couple FW's that can play in top 9 straight away.  Like JT Miller  (wishful thinking) B. Saad, (and on D) Ian Cole or Larsson.  All the other kids coming up are based on hype alone.  Highly unlikely any draft pick will to NHL in next 2 years. Maybe G. Clarke will challenge for a spot next year?

Well there's some no brainers. I think we should throw the bank at Hamilton. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 6:23 PM, SterioDesign said:

Not what i said at all you salty tears muffin. 

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. You have a particular opinion about something and that's fine. But you don't seem to realize or accept that other people can have a different opinion. You either denied that other people had that other opinion and when i brought up that i knew people with that opinion, you blindly discarded their "collector status" like as if someone could be a collector like you and disagree. That's just a toxic and sh!tty behaviour, not sure how you're not seeing it. Truly pathetic, the world doesnt revolve around you princess and collectors doesn't have like a hive mind all sharing the same exact vision and opinion. I personally collect some stuff and i have a very very different mindset when it comes to those items than other people collecting the same thing, that's just common sense.

So yeah, you are self-absorbed. 

Oh dear lord lmfao.

I know people can have a different opinion.  I just find the opinion of this particular item to be a bit puzzling as it is a take I have not heard them at all in the years I have been collecting jerseys (whether is be replicas, authentics or gamers).

That is why, combined with the fact that you didn't mention you asked other collectors until after I called you out with your claim that it may be annoying to some collectors, makes me believe that you are full of it that you even asked other "collectors" about it.  In other words, I believe the initial premise of this discussion is complete bullsh!t that you made up to get out of a hot take you made followed by personal attacks on me.

42 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oh dear lord lmfao.

I know people can have a different opinion.  I just find the opinion of this particular item to be a bit puzzling as it is a take I have not heard them at all in the years I have been collecting jerseys (whether is be replicas, authentics or gamers).

That is why, combined with the fact that you didn't mention you asked other collectors until after I called you out with your claim that it may be annoying to some collectors, makes me believe that you are full of it that you even asked other "collectors" about it.  In other words, I believe the initial premise of this discussion is complete bullsh!t that you made up to get out of a hot take you made followed by personal attacks on me.

lol. YOU made a blanket statement based on your own opinion.

I said i even agree with YOUR opinion but i can see how others might not.

I asked a few collectors i know. some mind, some didn't.

Then YOU proceeded to blindly question their credentials saying they were not true collectors, cause their opinions doesn't fit yours.

I said at some point that when I made that comment that it made me wonder and asked. And now YOU'RE suggesting that i made this up? Cause you just can't wrap your head that some people doesn't have the same opinion that you do?

YOU have a serious problem lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1