Jump to content

NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021


nessus
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

We know damn well we'll be out of reach for these guys. So we'll always be the team who got to pick first overall twice (maybe even 3 times with this year) and be in that gap between true generational talent like McDavid, Matthews and those 2 new guys. 

 

“Generational” is tossed around much too casually in sports these days, imo. To me, there’s Crosby and Ovi, and now McDavid. You can’t keep labeling guys generational every couple years. It’s supposed to mean a talent like that only comes along once or twice in a generation (Gretzky & Mario). 

Nico is probably way closer to a RNH level #1 (and that’s fine he’s a really good player), but I still think Jack’s ceiling is super high. If he turns into a Barzal or Tavares type player (80+ PPG at his best) I’ll be more than happy with that. We all know full well hockey isn’t a sport one or two superstars can carry a team to a championship anyway. Just look at Edmonton and Toronto. What Fitz puts around our best players is going to be more important than if Jack turns out to be a 80 point player vs a 100 point player. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

We know damn well we'll be out of reach for these guys. So we'll always be the team who got to pick first overall twice (maybe even 3 times with this year) and be in that gap between true generational talent like McDavid, Matthews and those 2 new guys. 

This is not something I will ever worry about. Even being sh!tty enough doesn’t guarantee those guys, there’s also a lottery involved. I am glad we got to pick first overall twice. I will be glad when it happens again. You can’t exchange one year for the other, so being jealous that we picked first in 2017 and 2019 when this 15 year old kid will not be available until 2023 doesn’t make any sense to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

We got a great shot, at a Top D man this year. And a latter pick in the 1st round, maybe a package deal with a trade, to get a vet.

I feel like we’re well situated for this year. It’s going to be a good test of what Fitz can do, he’s got the picks to make or trade, plenty of money to try to get free agents, and so on. 

I’m anxious to see what he can accomplish with all of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I feel like we’re well situated for this year. It’s going to be a good test of what Fitz can do, he’s got the picks to make or trade, plenty of money to try to get free agents, and so on. 

I’m anxious to see what he can accomplish with all of that. 

Def, Guessing some of the fringe players are being evaluated, and going to be exposed for the draft. Fitz, got his work cut out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, time to take your fingers off of your nose and start embracing the stink.

It's unlikely the Devils will finish worse than Buffalo -- they have an even rougher schedule the rest of the way.

Seattle is guaranteed the 3rd best lottery odds, because the NHL is determined to continuously add superpower expansion teams for some fvcking reason. 

The big teams for us to watch are Anaheim and Ottawa. Anaheim is tied with us right now, but they finish with a slightly easier schedule: 2 against the Wild (very good team), 2 against St. Louis (meh team), 4 against the Kings (bad team). We finish with 2 against the Islanders (very good team), 2 against Boston (very good team), and 4 against the Flyers (meh team). 

Ottawa has a 3-point spot on us right now, and finishes with a handful of teams trying to make the playoffs. They're the other team to watch. It's unlikely Columbus touches us, they've got one of the easiest schedules in the league and a 5-point spot. 

Edited by MB3
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there's a good chance we finish 1-7 / 2-6.  Could see us stealing one against the Flyers and against Boston since we've had their number this year.  Depending on where you look, that'd give us about a 60% chance of finishing dead last and "beating out" the Sabres.

If you believe the SOS here, the Devils have the 9th toughest remaining schedule.  Buffalo at 2, Ottawa at 14, Anaheim at 22. 

Despite all this losing, the Devils are still most likely to end up with the 5th overall pick, barring a lottery win of course. 

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Well, time to take your fingers off of your nose and start embracing the stink.

It's unlikely the Devils will finish worse than Buffalo -- they have an even rougher schedule the rest of the way.

Seattle is guaranteed the 3rd best lottery odds, because the NHL is determined to continuously add superpower expansion teams for some fvcking reason. 

The big teams for us to watch are Anaheim and Ottawa. Anaheim is tied with us right now, but they finish with a slightly easier schedule: 2 against the Wild (very good team), 2 against St. Louis (meh team), 4 against the Kings (bad team). We finish with 2 against the Islanders (very good team), 2 against Boston (very good team), and 4 against the Flyers (meh team). 

Ottawa has a 3-point spot on us right now, and finishes with a handful of teams trying to make the playoffs. They're the other team to watch. It's unlikely Columbus touches us, they've got one of the easiest schedules in the league and a 5-point spot. 

Great summary! I think the sweet spot for us is 4-5th overall. We're getting a solid player there, that's for sure. Hopefully, at least one of the big 3 defensemen will still be available when we pick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MB3 said:

 

Seattle is guaranteed the 3rd best lottery odds, because the NHL is determined to continuously add superpower expansion teams for some fvcking reason

Annoying as fvck. There’s this prevailing thought that the expansion fee entitles these new teams to perpetual winning and no down years. I couldn’t disagree with that more, and I hate the league even more for giving Vegas a team that has literally never sucked, and for making it so Seattle will likely be exactly the same. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Annoying as fvck. There’s this prevailing thought that the expansion fee entitles these new teams to perpetual winning and no down years. I couldn’t disagree with that more, and I hate the league even more for giving Vegas a team that has literally never sucked, and for making it so Seattle will likely be exactly the same. 

Agreed. They should have to play with our roster. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

The NHL made it much easier for that to happen with the expansion rules. 

Yeah that's true, but man, those were some boneheaded trades.  And it wasn't like it was just one either.  I don't think you see that this summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well let's not subject them to that right off the bat. That's just cruel

Can you imagine a brand new franchise subjecting their fans to this trash?

Team would be relocated within 5 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can you imagine a brand new franchise subjecting their fans to this trash?

Team would be relocated within 5 years.

That was part of being an expansion team though...knowing there was going to be some rough years (see the 1974-95 Capitals)...a paying of the dues.  The fans often knew it too, and the excitement of having a team of your own gave those teams some leeway and time.  

Can't say that I love Vegas reaching a Cup final in their first year...but oh well.  Will be interesting to see how their fans react if the team ever goes through a stretch like the Devils are right now...if they're willing to show up...I'd expect some dip in attendance, but we'll see how severe.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can you imagine a brand new franchise subjecting their fans to this trash?

Team would be relocated within 5 years.

That’s how it used to work with expansion. You’d take your lumps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They never should have let Vegas come in alone.  When there are at least two expansion teams it makes sure 1 team doesn't get to pick all the "good " players from the expansion list. I hated their cup run. so glad they lost to Washington. We will see if history repeats with Seattle this year with them being the only expansion team picking.

Edited by Rock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s how it used to work with expansion. You’d take your lumps. 

Exactly, the Sharks, Ducks, Panthers, etc. all still exist and they started with a warm pile of sh!t. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly, the Sharks, Ducks, Panthers, etc. all still exist and they started with a warm pile of sh!t. 

Take a look at the Panthers' first five seasons...they were actually quite respectable.  They were almost .500 in each of their first two seasons (within their first season they had a 16-6-7 stretch, which was kind of unheard of for an expansion team, and were over .500 with seven games to go), and got to the SCF in their third year...made the playoffs again in their fourth season.  Been pretty slim pickins for them ever since though, but compared to most expansion teams, the Panthers were pretty damned good out of the gate.  

I remember the fourth-year Panthers getting off to a hot start, but couldn't remember the particulars until I looked them up...they started off 8-0-4 and were 17-4-6 at one point, before cooling off (they finished 35-28-17).  That's when ties were still in play...I had forgotten that a hell of a lot of games ended in ties back then.  

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly, the Sharks, Ducks, Panthers, etc. all still exist and they started with a warm pile of sh!t. 

Yep. I certainly remember the Blue Jackets sucking for a long time. They didn’t make playoffs until their 9th season of existence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yep. I certainly remember the Blue Jackets sucking for a long time. They didn’t make playoffs until their 9th season of existence. 

And they didn’t even win a series until two years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.