NHL Entry Draft Thread - 2021

nessus

37 minutes ago, Guadana said:

At the very least, it will be too expensive to have Smith, Severson and Hamilton at the same time. Of course, I'm talking about the time when Smith and Severson will have to be re-signed.

How much money do you think non-superstar players make on their first RFA contract?

Spoiler alert: it’s not enough to even remotely worry about Ty Smith’s cap hit as it relates to a single contract we dish out this summer, unless we go buck wild and offer Dougie 9 years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

How much money do you think non-superstar players make on their first RFA contract?

Spoiler alert: it’s not enough to even remotely worry about Ty Smith’s cap hit as it relates to a single contract we dish out this summer, unless we go buck wild and offer Dougie 9 years.

He may score 30-40 points next season and 40+ points a year later. 90-100 points for 23yo defenseman in the NHL is a lot. We will see how much money will Dahlin get.

Edited by Guadana

15 minutes ago, Guadana said:

He may score 30-40 points next season and 40+ points a year later. 90-100 points for 23yo defenseman in the NHL is a lot. We will see how much money will Dahlin get.

look up restricted free agent contracts and get back to me. he’s still 2 full contracts away from UFA. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

look up restricted free agent contracts and get back to me. he’s still 2 full contracts away from UFA. 

Werenski got 5 mil for 0.54 ppg, Hanifin got 4.95 for 0.36, Hamilton got 5.75 for 0.47. 

Our PP was a trash this season, and I think Ruff will fix it. It will help Smith to gain points. And Hughes`s grow too. Smith is 0.48 ppg for today.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Werenski got 5 mil for 0.54 ppg, Hanifin got 4.95 for 0.36, Hamilton got 5.75 for 0.47. 

Our PP was a trash this season, and I think Ruff will fix it. It will help Smith to gain points. And Hughes`s grow too. Smith is 0.48 ppg for today.

In your estimation, 5 million dollars per season will do... anything.... remotely substantial to our cap? 6m? 7m? 

we have 11m in cap space this season. PK, Murray, Butcher and company will all be off the books soon. We’re paying Kovy, Cory Schneider, Mike Cammalleri, Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmieri more than $8m this year to *not* play for the Devils.

I’m sorry, but saying the salary cap is a reason the Devils shouldn’t rush to overpay anyone and everyone willing to join this dumpster fire — especially bonafide top-4 NHL defenseman — is a misguided, silly statement.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

In your estimation, 5 million dollars per season will do... anything.... remotely substantial to our cap? 6m? 7m? 

we have 11m in cap space this season. PK, Murray, Butcher and company will all be off the books soon. We’re paying Kovy, Cory Schneider, Mike Cammalleri, Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmieri more than $8m this year to *not* play for the Devils.

I’m sorry, but saying the salary cap is a reason the Devils shouldn’t rush to overpay anyone and everyone willing to join this dumpster fire — especially bonafide top-4 NHL defenseman — is a misguided, silly statement.

Bratt, Zacha, Jack, may be Wood, may be Murray will got new deals. May be Subban. We have to re-sign Smith, Blackwood and Severson. Sharkannens can get 2 year bridge deals. There are no needs and place for both Sevs and Hamilton.

Edited by Guadana

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

well vancouver just took a 3-1 lead. so thats good

Yeah, pretty sure Vancouver will pass us. Knock on wood. We're likely drafting 5th. Pretty sure one of Clarke/Hughes will be available by then.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Devs3cups said:

Yeah, pretty sure Vancouver will pass us. Knock on wood. We're likely drafting 5th. Pretty sure one of Clarke/Hughes will be available by then.

i dont know i've been seeing a lot of hype around Clarke. Plus he played really well at the juniors tournament. I think Clarke is gone in the top 3

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Bratt, Zacha, Jack, may be Wood, may be Murray will got new deals. May be Subban. We have to re-sign Smith, Blackwood and Severson. Sharkannens can get 2 year bridge deals. There are no needs and place for both Sevs and Hamilton.

Sounds like in this scenario we're generally signing up for more of the same. If the plan is to almost strictly rely onfeeder growth from within I would bet we continue to be a bottom feeder. If they don't go out and find some significant upgrades to add to this group not enough will change imo. Sure there will be done feel good stories along the way but no big steps forward as playoff threats. Not to just sniff maybe making them, the goal shouldn't stop there. 

11 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Sounds like in this scenario we're generally signing up for more of the same. If the plan is to almost strictly rely onfeeder growth from within I would bet we continue to be a bottom feeder. If they don't go out and find some significant upgrades to add to this group not enough will change imo. Sure there will be done feel good stories along the way but no big steps forward as playoff threats. Not to just sniff maybe making them, the goal shouldn't stop there. 

My opinion is they need at least 3 established players, preferably two defensemen and a winger. And a quality backup/1B. They cannot rely on this group of kids in the next couple of years. Some “vets” (re: guys who have played at least 5 seasons) are definitely needed to bridge the gap between now and when all of these kids will be hitting their prime. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, titans04 said:Sounds like in this scenario we're generally signing up for more of the same. If the plan is to almost strictly rely onfeeder growth from within I would bet we continue to be a bottom feeder. If they don't go out and find some significant upgrades to add to this group not enough will change imo. Sure there will be done feel good stories along the way but no big steps forward as playoff threats. Not to just sniff maybe making them, the goal shouldn't stop there. 

Fitz and co could be Ok with our offensive lines. Hope they are not, but I don’t think they will add more than one forward. Hope they will. I will assume that the top 6 will not change. I really want they add... Coleman/Granlund for 3rd line LW/C role, give a chance for Maltsev to play 3rd line LW/C, trade/expire Johnsson, and find RW for middle six role on the short deal. Maltsev is a league champion in takeaways. He play pretty solid and should work on his offensive game. I don’t think Merkley is a regular NHLer. He is pretty invincible when the puck isn’t in the offensive zone, when the puck is, he isn’t consistent. There are a lot of young candidates to play RW role. Boqvist was much better, but he can’t play on the line full of youngsters. Devils can rotate him and Maltsev to grow them with a couple of experienced NHLers.
I don’t know how management plan defense. Will they re-sign Murray? Will they give an opportunity to Bahl/Vukojevic/Okhotyuk rotating and playin third pair role? What they think about Carrik’s final performance? Will they protect Subban? What they think about Siegenthaler and his role? I hope they will re-sign Murray and sign Larsson/Montour. Kulikov return on 1-2 years will not hurt. 

I don’t think Fitz will make a lot. And I think this would be a short deals. I'm expecting a visit of one forward and one defenseman. And I reaaaaalyyy hope they will sign solid backup. Devils are not playoff team next year. Only if Hughes, Yegor and Jane will make another steps forward, everybody will stay health and Zacha with Bratt will not make step backwards. And don’t forget about goaltending, pp and pk. Too much to fix for one season.

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Fitz and co could be Ok with our offensive lines. Hope they are not, but I don’t think they will add more than one forward. Hope they will. I will assume that the top 6 will not change. I really want they add... Coleman/Granlund for 3rd line LW/C role, give a chance for Maltsev to play 3rd line LW/C, trade/expire Johnsson, and find RW for middle six role on the short deal. Maltsev is a league champion in takeaways. He play pretty solid and should work on his offensive game. I don’t think Merkley is a regular NHLer. He is pretty invincible when the puck isn’t in the offensive zone, when the puck is, he isn’t consistent. There are a lot of young candidates to play RW role. Boqvist was much better, but he can’t play on the line full of youngsters. Devils can rotate him and Maltsev to grow them with a couple of experienced NHLers.
I don’t know how management plan defense. Will they re-sign Murray? Will they give an opportunity to Bahl/Vukojevic/Okhotyuk rotating and playin third pair role? What they think about Carrik’s final performance? Will they protect Subban? What they think about Siegenthaler and his role? I hope they will re-sign Murray and sign Larsson/Montour. Kulikov return on 1-2 years will not hurt. 

I don’t think Fitz will make a lot. And I think this would be a short deals. I'm expecting a visit of one forward and one defenseman. And I reaaaaalyyy hope they will sign solid backup. Devils are not playoff team next year. Only if Hughes, Yegor and Jane will make another steps forward, everybody will stay health and Zacha with Bratt will not make step backwards. And don’t forget about goaltending, pp and pk. Too much to fix for one season.

I usually agree with you but I disagree so much with this entire post. 

I think the Devils need 2 vets on defense and 1-2 forward veterans as well. UFA or trade or offer sheet, I don’t care. 

The Devils absolutely can be a playoff team next year. Playing a real NHL schedule will do a lot. Young teams can take leaps in the offseason; this isn’t an older veteran team where you know what you’ve got. Nico barely played this season, which will help take pressure off Hughes. Shara/Kuok/Jack line looks unreal, imagine with another year of development? This isn’t baseball where elite teams make the playoffs; you just have to be slightly better than the most mediocre team in the sport to make it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, MB3 said:

you just have to be slightly better than the most mediocre team in the sport to make it. 

Now that’s a rallying cry.

Not that it’s not 100% true. 

Edited by mfitz804

Vancouver needs 1 point in their final 6 games and we’ll have better lotto odds than they do. If they go 2-4, it’s a statistical unlikelihood that they’d draft in front of us. That’s all I’m hoping for. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I usually agree with you but I disagree so much with this entire post. 

I think the Devils need 2 vets on defense and 1-2 forward veterans as well. UFA or trade or offer sheet, I don’t care. 

The Devils absolutely can be a playoff team next year. Playing a real NHL schedule will do a lot. Young teams can take leaps in the offseason; this isn’t an older veteran team where you know what you’ve got. Nico barely played this season, which will help take pressure off Hughes. Shara/Kuok/Jack line looks unreal, imagine with another year of development? This isn’t baseball where elite teams make the playoffs; you just have to be slightly better than the most mediocre team in the sport to make it. 

You disagree not with my opinion/wish, you disagree with my expectations. It’s a different things. I absolutely agree with two forwards vets and two defenseman vets. I just don’t thinks Fits will do it. I can be wrong here, I’m not baba Vanga. 

I don’t think we are playoff team next year, because our special teams svcks, we don’t have good backup and our defense needs to upgrade. There are a lot tasks. I don’t think devils will be bottom 5 team next year.

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i dont know i've been seeing a lot of hype around Clarke. Plus he played really well at the juniors tournament. I think Clarke is gone in the top 3

I get the same feeling.  I think we are going to have either Hughes or Guenther fall to us at 5 if that is the slot we pick in.  I would be fine with either, although I would prefer a D man with our first pick in this draft.

Posted (edited)

So we'll know for sure tonight that we're a lock where we are if vancouver win. I mean.... its highly unlikely that they dont get at least one point in their next 5-6 games but still

Edited by SterioDesign

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we'll know for sure tonight that we're a lock where we are if vancouver win. I mean.... its highly unlikely that they dont get at least one point in their next 5-6 games but still

I think only our team might have accomplished that. 

I honestly didn't think we would have been battling it out with Vancouver this year for third worst team. I thiugh they would be in playoff contention, but they have regressed massively (No Peterson hasn't helped). 

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out between whoever they draft this year and Mukhamadullin.

6 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I think Vancouver already passed us in the standings with the win last night. They have more wins than us and same amount of points.

we have more ROW i think so technically theyd need another point to for the tie breaker

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I Will be interesting to see how it shakes out between whoever they draft this year and Mukhamadullin.

Anyone else notice his name fits perfectly into “Ride of the Valkyries”?

You will now. 

6 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I think Vancouver already passed us in the standings with the win last night. They have more wins than us and same amount of points.

We have more ROW than they do. They need to finish a point ahead of us. 

15 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I honestly didn't think we would have been battling it out with Vancouver this year for third worst team. I thiugh they would be in playoff contention, but they have regressed massively (No Peterson hasn't helped). 

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out between whoever they draft this year and Mukhamadullin.

They had a brutal bout with COVID, worse than we did and an absolutely absurd schedule as a result; basically every other day for 4 weeks. 

• Like 1