GDT: Devils @ Bright Lights Brah! - Round 2 of 4 - 15 Apr, 730p

jagknife

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

LGD

It’s unbelievable. Nico comes back, and then other guys get hurt. I’m so sick of this season. It really can’t end soon enough.

Saying "I'm so sick of this season.  It really can't end soon enough" with 15-20 games or so left can't end soon enough for me either...I feel like I'm pretty much saying that every year now.  And this final stretch figures to be a real mess.  

My personal trainer is 31 and didn't grow up in this area, so all he knows since moving here (about 8 years ago) are the Devils being mostly irrelevant.  He knows I'm a huge fan (he's a huge hoops guy, so he's casual at best when it comes to hockey), so he asked me the other day if the Devils were always this bad...I told him no, quite the opposite, made the playoffs every year from 1988 - 2012 except for three seasons, won three Cups, etc etc.  Of course these runs don't last forever and are often followed by an extended dry spell, but those glory days are feeling more and more distant...of course there's players on the current squad that I do like, but I see these Devils out there with their chopped shoulder stripeless knockoff-looking Adidas jerseys and their lousy records and being toast well before the deadline and find myself thinking "Who the hell are these guys?"

Yes, it will get better in time.  Yes, there's youth in the system that has a chance to be a part of the long-term solution.  Another high pick is on the way.  I just look forward to those better days getting here.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I must be one of the few people that likes just having hockey. It felt like such a long break last year I am quite happy for it to carry on. 

I love that I have my daughter there watching every single game with me.  We’re in this together, in the best way possible.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Saying "I'm so sick of this season.  It really can't end soon enough" with 15-20 games or so left can't end soon enough for me either...I feel like I'm pretty much saying that every year now.  And this final stretch figures to be a real mess.  

I was going to say this exact same thing.  I feel like we've all been saying that for the last 5-10 years.  It sucks ass.  Every year seems to be just a little bit bigger of a disappointment because we're supposed to be making progress, but when you're in the bottom 10 of the standings, or even worse, bottom 5 sometimes, it's really hard to get excited and see any kind of silver lining or bright spots.  

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I must be one of the few people that likes just having hockey. It felt like such a long break last year I am quite happy for it to carry on. 

I'm in this boat too - hockey is my favorite sport, always has been, and I don't see that changing - once our season ends I'll still be following the playoffs closely and watching a ton of games, but it just stings when our team isn't in it year after year.  Not only are we not in it, but we're pretty far away, at least in terms of the standings.  Frankly, I'm envious of Rangers fans, because even though they're likely to miss the playoffs, at least they managed to turn it up a notch and get competitive here down the stretch.  They look like they're headed in the right direction and even if they do fail to make the post-season, their fans can say they had some excitement tuning in to the final dozen games of the season.  I wish we were in that position.  Instead, these last dozen games are essentially meaningless to us (yes, I know, draft position, but who gives a fvck about a few places in the order).   When all you have to root for in tonight's game is "fvck the Rangers because they're the Rangers", it's a bit depressing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

And Fitzy really needs to be investing some of that cap space in some D in the off season, so the kids don't get demoralized with too much losing.

I know that certainly seems to be the team's biggest weakness at the moment, but I'm not sure how much more Fitz can do.  I mean, just look at what's been done recently (by him, and by Shero) - brought in Subban, brought in Kulikov, brought in Murray.  Subban was a swing and a miss at least for his defensive abilities, and I think we all expect him to be gone after next year.  Kulikov is gone and I don't really understand why...guy seemed to do just fine in his short stint here - getting rid of a guy after les than a year just doesn't make sense to me (I understand maybe he didn't wanna be here and you trade him to get something instead of nothing, but before you acquire the guy in the first place, don't you at least try to get an assessment of his feelings for the team and the area to see if he would want to stay beyond one fvcking season???).   In regards to Murray, he's only 27 and he was highly touted in Columbus (1st round draft pick, 2nd overall!), his only downfall was that he seemed injury prone, which we haven't had a problem with yet so far this season.   And now you factor in the addition of Siegenthaler...that's literally 4 defenseman, 66% of your defensive system, changed/added in a 2-3 year period.  

What else can the guy do but keep shuffling the deck (which to me gets old REALLY fast)?  I can't stand seeing guys shipped out in 1-2 years time.  Seems very counterproductive.

Edited by NJDfan1711

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know that certainly seems to be the team's biggest weakness at the moment, but I'm not sure how much more Fitz can do.  I mean, just look at what's been done recently (by him, and by Shero) - brought in Subban, brought in Kulikov, brought in Murray.  Subban was a swing and a miss at least for his defensive abilities, and I think we all expect him to be gone after next year.  Kulikov is gone and I don't really understand why...guy seemed to do just fine in his short stint here - getting rid of a guy after les than a year just doesn't make sense to me (I understand maybe he didn't wanna be here and you trade him to get something instead of nothing, but before you acquire the guy in the first place, don't you at least try to get an assessment of his feelings for the team and the area to see if he would want to stay beyond one fvcking season???).   In regards to Murray, he's only 27 and he was highly touted in Columbus (1st round draft pick, 2nd overall!), his only downfall was that he seemed injury prone, which we haven't had a problem with yet so far this season.   And now you factor in the addition of Siegenthaler...that's literally 4 defenseman, 66% of your defensive system, changed/added in a 2-3 year period.  

What else can the guy do but keep shuffling the deck (which to me gets old REALLY fast)?  I can't stand seeing guys shipped out in 1-2 years time.  Seems very counterproductive.

I think your beef should be about the one-year contracts, not that the non-contending Devils traded away expiring assets. Should Fitz have signed Kulikov and/or Murray to 2 or 3 year deals? Pretty tough situation with very little revenue coming in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I’m with you on that. I hate us losing all the time, but I hate having no hockey more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know that certainly seems to be the team's biggest weakness at the moment, but I'm not sure how much more Fitz can do.  I mean, just look at what's been done recently (by him, and by Shero) - brought in Subban, brought in Kulikov, brought in Murray.  Subban was a swing and a miss at least for his defensive abilities, and I think we all expect him to be gone after next year.  Kulikov is gone and I don't really understand one...guy seemed to do just fine in his short stint here - getting rid of a guy after les than a year just doesn't make sense to me (I understand maybe he didn't wanna be here and you trade him to get something instead of nothing, but before you acquire the guy in the first place, don't you at least try to get an assessment of his feelings for the team and the area to see if he would want to stay beyond one fvcking season???).   In regards to Murray, he's only 27 and he was highly touted in Columbus (1st round draft pick, 2nd overall!), his only downfall was that he seemed injury prone, which we haven't had a problem with yet so far this season.   And now you factor in the addition of Siegenthaler...that's literally 4 defenseman, 66% of your defensive system, changed/added in a 2-3 year period.  

I really want the Devils to sign a couple of D-men for two, maybe three years. Maybe some UFAs would sign for the team if it was for more than two thirds of a season? Surely the continuity will only help the team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I just enjoy watching the boys play and see the kids have some time to develop. It's frustrating at times but wtv.

Years ago I was watching a very very very bad team built with over the hill slow vet, no core player, no star players, no prospects in the pipeline, absolutely no future or hope at the horizon. Possibly the worst NHL roster in history. Plus if we had young guys, they'd make one mistake and get benched for the rest of the period, watching a bunch of slow ass vets getting away with murder every shift. And i promised that if we'd get a team of young guys willing to build for the future that i'd be patient, ook past rookie mistakes, accept the learning curve and working through the kinks that comes with a young group.

Well here we are. And i always kept that mindset and i never get really upset about us losing. I just understand that this is a long process and that we have to be patient

Edited by SterioDesign

13 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I think your beef should be about the one-year contracts, not that the non-contending Devils traded away expiring assets. Should Fitz have signed Kulikov and/or Murray to 2 or 3 year deals? Pretty tough situation with very little revenue coming in. 

Great point.  I couldn't really put my finger on what the solution might be, but that's essentially it - sign guys for longer deals so at least we can try to break them in a bit.  I guess you can say they did that with Subban, though it's not really the same because he already had a contract, and even though he failed you can chalk that up as just one bad example - it doesn't mean they'll all turn out that way. 

10 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I really want the Devils to sign a couple of D-men for two, maybe three years. Maybe some UFAs would sign for the team if it was for more than two thirds of a season? Surely the continuity will only help the team?

Agreed - basically what JD said above as well.   And yeah, I would imagine longer tenures and continuity would breed better results. You'd think.

• Like 1