GDT: Devils @ Bright Lights Brah! - Round 2 of 4 - 15 Apr, 730p

jagknife

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You mean like the veterans Palms and Zajac we had and just shipped out?  Not trying to be an ass, but just pointing out that, even if you're right and we do sign a few vets in the off-season, what's to say they do any good to help improve the team or are any different than guys who were here ?

Zajac is a 35 year old player that clearly wants to win given he waived his NTC to go play in the playoffs. What makes you even think he would've re-signed here? Should we have lost him for nothing?  Plus, I have no doubt that if he wants to come back to play on the 3rd/4th line, Fitz will bring him back. 

There have been multiple reports that an extension with Palms has been discussed and worked on for a while. Nothing came out of it as Palms clearly never accepted the offers given to him. So, once again, should we have kept him and lost him for nothing?

All I'm saying is there is a 100% chance Fitz tries to bring a few "veteran" players via FA or trades. Doesn't mean they have to be over 30. Who knows, maybe we'll get a big fish who sees the promise in our young core as some do? One can dream. Nobody can be sure of the impact players will have with a new team. That's sports. 

Edited by Devs3cups

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

2 of those guys were expiring and got NJ another 1st round pick. Not every vet signing is going to be able to get you 1st round picks.

Now, trading one of your better Dmen for a conditional 4th....that's another story.

I know, I'm not trying to suggest it wasn't the right thing to get rid of those guys, just stating that I don't think two more/new vets is necessarily what we're missing or that it's gonna magically change this team.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh and also... don't the Rangers have like a 23 or 24yr old average? Barely above ours?  Yeah....hard to buy the argument that we're just a "young team" when we're getting our dicks caved in by a team who is almost identical.

The difference is they have Panarin, Zibinajed, and Trouba. We don’t have anyone anywhere near as good as any of them. 

• Like 1

I can’t talk about this team rationally...or without throwing up in my mouth a little.  I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh and also... don't the Rangers have like a 23 or 24yr old average? Barely above ours?  Yeah....hard to buy the argument that we're just a "young team" when we're getting our dicks caved in by a team who is almost identical.

Yea, but where's our Panarin, Kreider, Zibanijad, Trouba? Those guys have 5 points for them tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

The difference is they have Panarin, Zibinajed, and Trouba. We don’t have anyone anywhere near as good as any of them. 

Yep, agreed.  And although we might bring in a veteran or two in this off-season, I don't know if there's anyone of that caliber that is available, much less any who would want to come here.  That's all I'm saying in regards to bringing in a couple vets.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know, I'm not trying to suggest it wasn't the right thing to get rid of those guys, just stating that I don't think two more/new vets is necessarily what we're missing or that it's gonna magically change this team.

It isn't going to "magically" change anything, but having veteran players on your team makes a difference. It can be the difference between coming out in the second period of a 3-0 game and scoring a goal rather than letting the other team score a 4th. 

• Like 1

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

How are we even close to being  “identical?” NY’s leading scorer is Panarin (29), they also have guys like Zibanejad (27), Kreider (29), and Strome (27). All their best players (except Fox) are vets. Our best players are literally children. 

Yep, agreed.  And although we might bring in a veteran or two in this off-season, I don't know if there's anyone of that caliber that is available, much less any who would want to come here.  That's all I'm saying in regards to bringing in a couple vets.

I'd like J.T Miller honestly, I think he could stir up some things in our top-6, and bring a little grit. Sure he isn't a world class player but he can bring something this team needs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

How are we even close to being  “identical?” NY’s leading scorer is Panarin (29), they also have guys like Zibanejad (27), Kreider (29), and Strome (27). All their best players (except Fox) are vets. Our best players are literally children. 

Ok, so you picked their 3 oldest players. I realize they have a couple of (very good) vets on their team that we don't.   I could be wrong, but is their average age not nearly identical to ours?   I think 95% of their roster is in their early 20s, like ours.  

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

I'd like J.T Miller honestly, I think he could stir up some things in our top-6, and bring a little grit. Sure he isn't a world class player but he can bring something this team needs. 

I'd definitely take him - I think he only got ousted from Tampa because they had such a deep team.

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That would make two of us.

I’ve reached the point where I’m going to start “screening” the games.  I’ve been recording them, and then me and my daughter usually start watching about 30 - 45 mins after puck drop...now I’ll just check the score after the first period on my phone, and if it’s close, we’ll watch from the start.  I can’t sit through this level of awfulness...either of us.

• Like 1

I'd definitely take him - I think he only got ousted from Tampa because they had such a deep team.

He's been great in Vancouver with some of their young guys, maybe he could be a scoring winger for Jack? I also see Larsson coming back here. He'd definitely help our d-core and our PK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aznjsn said:

Can we just not let Sh!t-sterkin shut us out for 6 periods straight?.....

Probably too much to ask of these dipsh!ts. They’ll probably hit at least one more post tonight for good measure too. Gotta fill the quota of about 8 per game.

Edited by MadDog2020

Ok, so you picked their 3 oldest players. I realize they have a couple of (very good) vets on their team that we don't.   I could be wrong, but is their average age not nearly identical to ours?   I think 95% of their roster is in their early 20s, like ours.  

I didn’t just cherry-pick those guys. They’re all top 5 in scoring for NY (except Kreider who’s their top goal scorer). I’ll say it again, their best players are vets. We’re not even close to being built similarly to them. 

• Like 2