GDT: Devils @ Bright Lights Brah! - Round 2 of 4 - 15 Apr, 730p

jagknife

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If a 4-0 loss to the team’s biggest rival doesn't piss you off, you aren’t a fan. 

I didn't like the results but I didn't expect to win. That doesn't make me not a fan. These are kids, the defense is weak, the offense is weak. Then they were missing two of their best offensive guys. No I wasn't pissed. 

As I sit here waiting for the coffee to kick in and I get my day rolling, I’m looking at the silver lining of getting embarrassed by our rivals two nights in a row....

at least we should finish behind Vancouver and people can relax a bit about Luke Hughes... 

Oh and my GDT record this year I think is 0-2... damn...

Yes! Another loss! Guys we should be happy, I’ve been told losing is a good thing! This next draft pick is going to be the one to change everything! 

Yes! Another loss! Guys we should be happy, I’ve been told losing is a good thing! This next draft pick is going to be the one to change everything! 

The players learned a lot and had fun! That’s what really matters for development!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

The players learned a lot and had fun! That’s what really matters for development!

image.jpeg.8bb0c54dd418d98fc11ad1c53fbf49c2.jpeg

I'm starting to feel very uneasy about Fitz keeping his job.  After trading our most experienced players. The kids are in charge and they clearly not up to it. It'll be hard for any GM to attract players to come here. Fans keep blaming Nas & Recchi, not the case.  Ownership will look and see if there's at least an upward trajectory, and it's getting worse. Now, a few of us are hoping we suck enough to get a specific draft pick? And take solace in that? wtf.  It's groundhog day again like last few years. I like Fitz, but won't be shocked if he's replaced.  

27 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm starting to feel very uneasy about Fitz keeping his job.  After trading our most experienced players. The kids are in charge and they clearly not up to it. It'll be hard for any GM to attract players to come here. Fans keep blaming Nas & Recchi, not the case.  Ownership will look and see if there's at least an upward trajectory, and it's getting worse. Now, a few of us are hoping we suck enough to get a specific draft pick? And take solace in that? wtf.  It's groundhog day again like last few years. I like Fitz, but won't be shocked if he's replaced.  

I don't think anyone in the organization saw this going any other way after trading the vets the last two season.  I mean, just look at this team comparison.  The Devils have almost 2500 less games played of experience than the next lowest team.  That's incredible.  The average age is also a full year younger than the next team.

image.thumb.png.7ce078bec703badf48e4107870116f8c.png

• Like 3

While not impossible, I don’t know if that will happen. Nobody expected Fitz to come on, turn the franchise around, and be competitive this quickly. He also didn’t trade away guys like Zajac and Palmieri without ownership being on board. 

Sorry to say it but the sole thing we have to attract free agents is money. We are going to have to overpay some guys to get them here, and I am ok with that happening. 

• Like 1

Re:  Fitz...we'll find out about him in the next couple of years.  He's done a solid job trading away vets for future assets, but he's pretty much now fresh out of vets to trade.  Now we'll see about "weaponizing" the insane amount of cap space.  He can't sell me on a second-rounder and Boqvist for some 27-year-old who once scored 22 goals a couple of years when every last thing broke his way...I've had enough of those kinds of moves.  You've got the money to spend, find someone worthwhile to spend it on.

I get having flexibility, but enough with that.  At some point, it has to start being about the present...not that I expect Fitz to make a flurry of off-season moves that will make them instant Cup contenders, but at least something that leads me to believe that 2021-22 isn't already being punted away.  

• Like 1

I don't think Fitz is in any trouble at the moment. Shero got things started and sputtered out and how Fitz is getting a chance to build off of it.

His moves have made sense, and there's no big move to make that would change anything at the moment. Keeping the vets is nice, but Palms wasn't re-signing and Zajac asked to be moved (probably because he knew Lou wanted him). Goose and Vats fell off a cliff and no one was buying. I would have preferred to keep Kulikov but it is what it is. 

However... This will not stop me from being frustrated when we get clowned by the Rangers again this weekend. 

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He can't sell me on a second-rounder and Boqvist for some 27-year-old who once scored 22 goals a couple of years when every last thing broke his way...I've had enough of those kinds of moves. 

I somewhat agree, though I’m not sure we have another 22 goal scorer so we have to go get that guy lol.

Silver lining to last night is that I didn't have the advanced stats crowd tell me how dominate the Devils really were this game.  Even they agreed they stunk.

Blackwood had a rough game.  That no-goal for Kravtsov was a bit lucky for him as well as that was an awful goal to give up (as was the 4th goal).

I think I have seen enough of Merkley and Maltsev to say they are marginal NHL players at best going forward.

It has been only 2 games for Siegenthaler, but so far I think he has been meh.

Right now our top 4 wingers are Sharangovich, Kuokkanen, Bratt and Zacha.  Out of those 4, I would say only Bratt should figure into the top 4 wingers.  Zacha has had a nice run this season, but he got a lot of those points in a 10-game span earlier this season.  Sharangovich really needs to work on his shot in order to stick in there and Kuokkanen shouldn't sniff anything above the 3rd line.  That means we have 2-3 spots next season that is up for grabs.  That's a bit more than I figured to fill, but if help is not coming in free agency then we really need to pray at least 2 of Holtz, Mercer and Foote work out.

I am getting very apathetic about the whole "weaponizing cap space" line that Fitz and the rest of management is preaching.  This is now either the 3rd or 4th offseason we are getting fed this line.  So far that has lead us to players that either don't make any difference or players who just blow up in our faces.  If they are serious about using it, then they really need to show they are willing to give up more than just picks and some C-level prospects to get someone bigger in return in a trade.  No one is trading us impact players for just picks and marginal prospects/players just for cap relief purposes.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Right now our top 4 wingers are Sharangovich, Kuokkanen, Bratt and Zacha.  Out of those 4, I would say only Bratt should figure into the top 4 wingers.  Zacha has had a nice run this season, but he got a lot of those points in a 10-game span earlier this season.  Sharangovich really needs to work on his shot in order to stick in there and Kuokkanen shouldn't sniff anything above the 3rd line.  That means we have 2-3 spots next season that is up for grabs.  That's a bit more than I figured to fill, but if help is not coming in free agency then we really need to pray at least 2 of Holtz, Mercer and Foote work out.

I'm hoping we see Foote soon and it would be great to bring Holtz and Mercer in for a few games at the end of the season just to see what they look like against NHLers and give them a feel of that level. I know Fitz has said they are working on stuff with Holtz since his season is done in Sweden. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm hoping we see Foote soon and it would be great to bring Holtz and Mercer in for a few games at the end of the season just to see what they look like against NHLers and give them a feel of that level. I know Fitz has said they are working on stuff with Holtz since his season is done in Sweden. 

Unfortunately, with how the world still is, I wouldn't hold my breath that Holtz will make it over here in time.  Who knows.

I also read somewhere that the thought is when Holtz comes over they are planning to give him time with the Bing Devils.  I hope that is not the case.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Unfortunately, with how the world still is, I wouldn't hold my breath that Holtz will make it over here in time.  Who knows.

I also read somewhere that the thought is when Holtz comes over they are planning to give him time with the Bing Devils.  I hope that is not the case.

Do you really expect Holtz and Mercer to come into the league this year or even next and become true top 6 wingers?

Just now, Crisis said:

Do you really expect Holtz and Mercer to come into the league this year or even next and become true top 6 wingers?

With their talent it is possible next year, but I wouldn't count on it.  Would be the year after at the very least.  Not saying they are both going to score 30+ in 22-23, but at least on their way.

I still actually higher on Mercer than I am with Holtz.  Holtz is still a bit of a question mark given he slowed down a bit after his fast start this season albeit he was missing his center and played on a weak team in the SHL.

2 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Yea, I am not holding my breath for Holtz either after what happened with Bratt. The game last night was disappointing to me when I saw Nico showing very little emotion over the poor effort on the bench with his head down after shift changes.

In totally and completely unrelated stat, the Devils are 1-6 with Nico as captain.

The expansion draft could work really well in our favour. Now we finally have a lot of picks, we also have players/assets we can trade. So we could potentially maybe trade for a good young guy closer to our core group by pairing picks and one of your player. Not that long ago if we'd make a trade we'd basically just fill a hole and make another one like the Henrique - Vats trade. Now we're starting to have a lot of youngs guys with some value.

As for the market, i'm going through who's available and im not sure if i'd want to throw money at many of them, most are really old closer to 35. I'd actually inquiry Hall. I don't think he'll come back but the best season of his career was definitely in NJ. If he's smart he'd take a smaller deal to an actual contender this time.

Edited by SterioDesign