GDT: Round 3 - The Quest for a Goal

jagknife

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Peace out Ruff.

Ah yes. A new coach will be able to do miracles with the youngest offense in NHL history missing 2 of their top-6 players. 

Come on man. We're all frustrated and obviously we'd like better results. But the coach isn't the problem. Ruff is working with what he can, which is a group of young and developing players. He's giving them a shot, which is what we all wanted to see for a long time (seeing young guys getting a shot).

Edited by Devs3cups

4 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Ah yes. A new coach will be able to do miracles with the youngest offense in NHL history missing 2 of their top-6 players. 

Come on man.

If you think Lindy Ruff has done anything positive for this team so far this season then I think we've been watching different games and teams.  

As discussed before, the Rangers are almost identical to us in terms of average age.  In fact, according to this article, they're the youngest team in the NHL in terms of average age:  Capitals enters the 2020-21 season with NHL’s oldest roster – NHL Sports – Jioforme

And even if we are young, how long can you use that as an excuse?  How many fvcking NHL coaches would KILL to have a young roster with two first overall picks like us, and a multitude of other first round picks (Smith, Murray, Zacha, etc etc).  I mean Jesus Christ, let's have some fvcking accountability here. 

I'm usually never one who's in favor or axing people after one or two seasons (whether it's a coach, player, or whoever), but in this case a message needs to be sent, and it's clear that Ruff isn't working out here.  Aside from the fact that the team has generally showed effort in most of their games this season (can't be said for the last few), Ruff hasn't improved us on offense, hasn't improved us on defense, and hasn't improved us on the penalty kill or powerplay.  So what's he improved us on? The only thing we've improved on is managing to get more humiliated by our arch rivals on their home turf.

I would give Ruff a season of actually you know, being able to COACH the team before streeting him since we know practices and rest have been very limited, but this is getting as bad as the end of 2010 only without any actual talent or proven leadership on the ice.

This falls more on Shero, Fitz and ownership still being at ground zero after six years and two lotto wins

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I won’t even ask if we could put together a team from this board that could beat the Devils, the real inquiry is whether they could even score against us. 

I feel very confident a number of us could blank them.  Watching the game, they look like very little threat to Shesterkin.  

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If you think Lindy Ruff has done anything positive for this team so far this season then I think we've been watching different games and teams.  

As discussed before, the Rangers are almost identical to us in terms of average age.  In fact, according to this article, they're the youngest team in the NHL in terms of average age:  Capitals enters the 2020-21 season with NHL’s oldest roster – NHL Sports – Jioforme

And even if we are young, how long can you use that as an excuse?  How many fvcking NHL coaches would KILL to have a young roster with two first overall picks like us, and a multitude of other first round picks (Smith, Murray, Zacha, etc etc).  I mean Jesus Christ, let's have some fvcking accountability here. 

I'm usually never one who's in favor or axing people after one or two seasons (whether it's a coach, player, or whoever), but in this case a message needs to be sent, and it's clear that Ruff isn't working out here.  Aside from the fact that the team has generally showed effort in most of their games this season (can't be said for the last few), Ruff hasn't improved us on offense, hasn't improved us on defense, and hasn't improved us on the penalty kill or powerplay.  So what's he improved us on? The only thing we've improved on is managing to get more humiliated by our arch rivals on their home turf.

For one, regardless of age, having 2 top-10 NHL players in Panarin and Zibanejad and a Norris trophy candidate in Fox might have something to do with why they're more successful than us right now don't you think? We clearly don't have that yet. Also, side note, the Ranger's top 6 has an average age of 27.6 years old. Not exactly comparable with our situation right now.

This year, I've seen progress from Zacha, Bratt, Hughes and the emergence of Ty Smith. Blackwood has had some good stretches, even though he's been affected by COVID hard it seems, and even though young goalies tend to be inconsistent. I've been happily surprised by Kuok and Sharangovich, that have shown they can contribute as top-9 forwards for us. I've seen a young team battling through COVID-19 and not giving up on games. I've seen a team not having their captain for most of the season, and having one of their top offensive players in Gusev falling down a fvcking cliff. 

I've seen young guys getting a shot, developing and not being pinned to the bench at every mistake, as we've seen in the past. This season has never been about making the playoffs. But this team has shown fight, progress and has surprised us at many times during the season.

If you want to judge this team based of the last week after losing two of their main veterans and 2 of their top-6 wingers to injuries, be my guest, but I won't. 

We're clearly not going to see eye to eye on this, and that's ok. It is what it is at this point lol.

Edited by Devs3cups

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I heard they are changing the name of our season ticket holders from The Black and Red to the Black and Blue because of how hard this season has been on our fans. 

That, and "The Prison Shower" was already trademarked by Buffalo

7 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

For one, having 2 top-10 NHL players in Panarin and Zibanejad and a Norris trophy candidate in Fox might have something to do with why they're more succesful than us right now. 

This year, I've seen progress from Zacha, Bratt, Hughes and the emergence of Ty Smith. Blackwood has had some good stretches, even though he's been affected by COVID hard it seems, and even though young goalies tend to be inconsistent. I've been happily surprised by Kuok and Sharangovich, that have shown they can contribute as top-9 forwards for us. I've seen a young team battling through COVID-19 and not giving up on games. I've seen young guys getting a shot, developping and not being pinned to the bench at every mistake, as we've seen in the past. This season has never been about making the playoffs. But this team has shown fight, progress and has surprised us at many times during the season.

If you want to judge this team based of the last week after losing two of their main veterans and 2 of their top-6 wingers, be my guest, but I won't. 

We're clearly not going to see eye to eye on this. It is what it is at this point lol.

I'll give you the fact that Ruff doesn't seem to throw guys in the doghouse which is refreshing compared to some coaches in the past - I hate when guys, especially young guys, make a mistake and then they're forever crucified for it.  

In terms of Covid, yeah, we had it worse than some teams earlier in the year, but that was a solid month or two ago, and literally every other team is going through the same thing, some have it even worse than us.  I can't use that as an excuse anymore when it's literally applied to the entire league.  We're not special, we're not the only ones who get bad luck, bad bounces, bad breaks.  

Yeah, Bratt and Zacha are out and it sucks, but c'mon, every other team goes through that as well.   Look at who the freakin Blackhaws are without:

de Haan, Shaw, Towes, Nylander, Seabrook.  I mean, seriously? That's 5 pretty damn solid players, including their captain.   Columbus is without Werenski, Nyquist, and Dubinsky.  Dallas is without Seguin, Radulov, and Bishop.  On and on and on.

2 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Can't score, can't defend... its a bad combo..  keep drafting small and we will continue to play small

I was surprised to see we are basically middle of the pack weight and height wise. It was telling though that the teams at the top of both are the perennial contenders. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I can’t wait to bid on a Self Harm Awareness Night practice jersey, although the bidding is going to be very competitive. 

All jokes aside, I would love for the NHL to have a mental health esq night, beyond Bell Lets Talk.

but back to the jokes:

I make this GDT as a joke, but man the players really took it to heart, minus the whole scoring thing....

• Like 1