GDT: Round 3 - The Quest for a Goal

jagknife

Just now, jagknife said:

All jokes aside, I would love for the NHL to have a mental health esq night, beyond Bell Lets Talk.

but back to the jokes:

I make this GDT as a joke, but man the players really took it to heart, minus the whole scoring thing....

Fair enough, that would be a good promotion. 

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'll give you the fact that Ruff doesn't seem to throw guys in the doghouse which is refreshing compared to some coaches in the past - I hate when guys, especially young guys, make a mistake and then they're forever crucified for it.  

In terms of Covid, yeah, we had it worse than some teams earlier in the year, but that was a solid month or two ago, and literally every other team is going through the same thing, some have it even worse than us.  I can't use that as an excuse anymore when it's literally applied to the entire league.  We're not special, we're not the only ones who get bad luck, bad bounces, bad breaks.  

Yeah, Bratt and Zacha are out and it sucks, but c'mon, every other team goes through that as well.   Look at who the freakin Blackhaws are without:

de Haan, Shaw, Towes, Nylander, Seabrook.  I mean, seriously? That's 5 pretty damn solid players, including their captain.   Columbus is without Werenski, Nyquist, and Dubinsky.  Dallas is without Seguin, Radulov, and Bishop.  On and on and on.

Side note, the Ranger's top 6 has an average age of 27.6 years old. Not exactly comparable with our situation right now.

I agree we are not alone in this situation. Doesn't mean that it should make it any easier for us. No other team has an offense as young as us. Most of our players are literally rookies. I don't get how that isn't significant. 

Blackhawks also have a top 5 player in the league in Kane who is basically carrying them, and Debrincat who is shooting 17.6% and is at an over PPG pace. We don't have those kinds of players yet. Dallas have Klinberg, Heiskanen, Benn and Pavelski who are all producing and good players (Notice some established vets in there). Also, they aren't exactly running the league either after going to the SCF last season. So maybe they aren't doing too well with their injuries either? Same with Columbus, they're 5 points over us, with 3 more games played, not exactly ground breaking, even though they have Jones, Atkinson, Laine (Dubois at the start of the season), etc. We don't have players of that caliber yet/our players aren't there yet. Yet, they aren't really in a better spot than us.  

You seem to not want to take context into this, when it's really important to do so.

Edited by Devs3cups

We are living up to our Anticipated 5v5 Goat Blowing Percentage. 

Just now, slasher72 said:

It's going to be great watching the Devils get dominated by the Rags for the next 4-5 years. F'ing awesome. 

Feels like pro-Brodeur era domination, for those of us who remember. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Side note, the Ranger's top 6 has an average age of 27.6 years old. Not exactly comparable with our situation right now.

I agree we are not alone in this situation. Doesn't mean that it should make it any easier for us. No other team has an offense as young as us. Most of our players are literally rookies. I don't get how that isn't significant. 

Blackhawks also have a top 5 players in the league in Kane who is basically carrying them, and Debrincat who is shooting 17.6% and is at an over PPG pace. We don't have those kinds of players yet. Dallas have Klinberg, Heiskanen, Benn and Pavelski who are all producing and good players (Notice some establish vets in there). Also, they aren't exactly running the league either after going to the SCF last season. So maybe they aren't doing too well with their injuries either? Same with Columbus, they're 5 points over us, with 3 more games played, not exactly ground breaking, even though they have Werenski, Jones, , Atkinson, Laine (Dubois at the start of the season), etc. We don't have players of that caliber yet/our players aren't there yet. Yet, they aren't really in a better spot than us.  

You seem to not want to take context into this, when it's really important to do so.

Yep, shame on the org for building a roster with zero talented vet presence.  Putting themselves in a position to have to sell off the only two worth even a little at the trade deadline is pathetic. Hooray we have the youngest average age out there, somebody tell me when a lineup resembling anything close to that has won anything? I'll go first,  never have, never will. You need to have a balance of vet talent and kids.  When guys like Wood and Zacha are your top scorers that's a problem.  Someday Nico maybe more than a  good player year in and year out and Jack will get better.  For the most part the rest of the forwards aren't moving the needle on a good team, Bratt comes and goes.

The defense, well no sense in even going there, there's Smith who sticks out kind of, probably moreso because the rest are dreadful.

So yes we can continue to be the youngest blah blah blah, that won't win sh!t. Until they figure out how to bring in other guys who can make an immediate and meaningful impact not much will change, we will be a bottom third team. Maybe not a bottom 3 so I guess that's progress.

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Yep, shame on the org for building a roster with zero talented vet presence.  Putting themselves in a position to have to sell off the only two worth even a little at the trade deadline is pathetic. Hooray we have the youngest average age out there, somebody tell me when a lineup resembling anything close to that has won anything? I'll go first,  never have, never will. You need to have a balance of vet talent and kids.  When guys like Wood and Zacha are your top scorers that's a problem.  Someday Nico maybe more than a  good player year in and year out and Jack will get better.  For the most part the rest of the forwards aren't moving the needle on a good team, Bratt comes and goes.

The defense, well no sense in even going there, there's Smith who sticks out kind of, probably moreso because the rest are dreadful.

So yes we can continue to be the youngest blah blah blah, that won't win sh!t. Until they figure out how to bring in other guys who can make an immediate and meaningful impact not much will change, we will be a bottom third team. Maybe not a bottom 3 so I guess that's progress.

Zajac and Palms were goners. They tried to re-sign Palms to no avail and Zajac waived to leave. By the way, Zajac isn't moving the needle either at this point in his career. Keeping them and losing them for nothing would've been a mistake

Also, I know we're all frustrated, but saying that Smith "kind of sticks out", is such a bad take. He's the most promising d-man we've had in years, plays like a future 1st pairing defenseman, and has had an outstanding season as a rookie. 

Young teams don't necessarily win. But young teams growing together and developping together end up doing so, or at least become competitive. This group of young players is promising, and there's more to come.

Edited by Devs3cups

Yeah Cangi, we broke the ice. If Sh!tstork and Panarin fall in and disappear, maybe we’ll come back. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Nice job McLeod.  He at least looks like he gives a sh!t.

Oh and by the way, if we win this game, I'll donate $100 to this site.

Matched. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I know it’s bad to root for guys to get hurt, but how about at least a mild groin sprain for the Sh!tstork, still not ok?

Unfortunately Miles Wood is a renaissance man and doesn't crash goalies any more, otherwise an injury to him would definitely be on the cards.