Binghamton No More

titans04

6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Another ugly situation. 

Until we spend on the team there this is going to keep happening. 

I’m not even sure it matters, at least not to anyone who isn’t local. I don’t really care at all what random upstate NY city they play in, it’s irrelevant. 

Again, not so to those who are local and are losing “their team”. 

It only matters because Binghamton has had hockey I believe for 50 years or so but outside, yeah. To me it's their continued horsesh!t way of doing business, apparently their contract ran through next season so Binghamton was blindsided,

It looks like they're headed back to Utica, maybe.  They just applied for a Utica Devils Patent.

The current agreement between the New Jersey Devils and the Binghamton ownership group is for five years, with the agreement ending following the 2021-22 season.

Arena manager Chris Marion said they were notified of the dispute earlier this week.

A trademark was filed by current Utica Comets President Robert Esche on April 5, 2021 for the Utica Devils.

The file, found on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website requested a number of items carrying the Utica Devils trademark ranging from clothing and toy merchandise to entertainment services.

https://wbng.com/2021/04/16/potential-move-of-ahl-teams-puts-future-of-hockey-in-binghamton-in-question/

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not even sure it matters, at least not to anyone who isn’t local. I don’t really care at all what random upstate NY city they play in, it’s irrelevant. 

Again, not so to those who are local and are losing “their team”. 

Yeah more the depressing situation of continually destroying a local hockey team and then just walking away. It's not a good look. 

Also I feel you should develop a winning culture at every level. Doesn't do young guys harm working out how to win.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah more the depressing situation of continually destroying a local hockey team and then just walking away. It's not a good look. 

Also I feel you should develop a winning culture at every level. Doesn't do young guys harm working out how to win.

Yeah, we have a terrible record of absolutely decimating minor league franchises for like 2 decades now.  

From personal experience, Trenton titans games used to be a lot of fun and then the Devils got involved...and I say that as a Devils fan.  

• Like 2

That's a sh>tty way to treat a city. They helped promote & made sure team was involved in community.  Also, a sh>tty way to do business.  they were happy to host the Devils.  If i were the AHL, I'd make the Devils honor their last year & play in Binghamton.

• Like 3

"Mitchell would not get into the details of the demands made by the Devils."

Anyone see what these demands actually are? I'm curious if they were actually reasonable or not. 

That being said it's more a shame to me they are going back to Utica when we have a perfectly great arena in Trenton sitting empty so many nights of the year. I'd rather see them give back to the state with new jobs and revenue for Trenton than Utica but it definitely won't happen. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Anyone see what these demands actually are? I'm curious if they were actually reasonable or not. 

That being said it's more a shame to me they are going back to Utica when we have a perfectly great arena in Trenton sitting empty so many nights of the year. I'd rather see them give back to the state with new jobs and revenue for Trenton than Utica but it definitely won't happen. 

I am very curious to see if those demands ever come out.  That will be a huge factor as to which side is being the unreasonable one.  I wonder if it had to with upgrading the arena as it is both old and on the smaller side even by AHL standards.

However, the track record for the Devils and how their affiliates is possibly the worst in minor league hockey.  Trenton, Lowell, Albany 2.0, now Binghamton.  That's three, now possibly four, cities that they have left in a lurch and burn bridges.  I am surprised anyone would take a chance on the Devils at this point (I guess Utica was desperate since the Comets are moving out to BC).  What the Devils did to Trenton was borderline criminal.

• Like 1

Sure was- signing a new 10 year lease  with Mercer county and bailing immediately after that and burning so many local vendors, Dr's, players housing you name it with months and months of unpaid bills/invoices.  They really dicked over anybody else from being successful there going forward. Even though another group did try they were smoked before they even got started.  I mean ffs Lou even had guys come in in the middle of the night and take some gym equipment and 20 something inch tv's off the walls in the locker rooms that were there when the Devil came in.  They took some old FLyers players sticks that had been there since  Trenton started play.  When I say gym equipment we're talking about stuff some guys here would have in their homes. SMH. Never understood it, never will. 

The saddest part of the story for me is I would of thought things would of changed once Lou left and the new ownership group came in, this move would indicate nothing has changed.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Sure was- signing a new 10 year lease  with Mercer county and bailing immediately after that and burning so many local vendors, Dr's, players housing you name it with months and months of unpaid bills/invoices.  They really dicked over anybody else from being successful there going forward. Even though another group did try they were smoked before they even got started.  I mean ffs Lou even had guys come in in the middle of the night and take some gym equipment and 20 something inch tv's off the walls in the locker rooms that were there when the Devil came in.  They took some old FLyers players sticks that had been there since  Trenton started play.  When I say gym equipment we're talking about stuff some guys here would have in their homes. SMH. Never understood it, never will. 

The saddest part of the story for me is I would of thought things would of changed once Lou left and the new ownership group came in, this move would indicate nothing has changed.

I still hear stories about fans who had trouble getting refunds and I think some people to this day are owed refunds from either the Devils or the Titans 2.0 ownership group.  Just a ton of broken promises (I distinctly remember the one where JVB guaranteed the fans at a random NJ Devils player would be down once a month to do autographs that never happened) and a really asinine approach to marketing and screwing over local vendors and fans doomed them.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:05 AM, Satans Hockey said:

I think the problem with Trenton is that there is no local ownership group willing to take the financial risk of running an AHL team and operating an arena in Trenton like there is in Bingo and Utica.  From what I remember, the Devils were being paid $1-2 million per year to have their AHL franchise in Bingo.  The owners of the Devils did not manage or control the arena.  Seemed like a really good deal for the NJD.  I would be interested to see what their demands on Bingo where.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I think the problem with Trenton is that there is no local ownership group willing to take the financial risk of running an AHL team and operating an arena in Trenton like there is in Bingo and Utica.  From what I remember, the Devils were being paid $1-2 million per year to have their AHL franchise in Bingo.  The owners of the Devils did not manage or control the arena.  Seemed like a really good deal for the NJD.  I would be interested to see what their demands on Bingo where.

Since my post yesterday, I have heard from a decent source that the demands were indeed centered around the arena.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Since my post yesterday, I have heard from a decent source that the demands were indeed centered around the arena.

They asked them to break every other stall in the bathroom so it matched up with the Prudential Center and they refused. 

• Haha 1