GDT - Round 4 - JUST WIN - NYR at Devils 4/18 - 3pm MSG+

Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not that there isn’t plenty of other issues, but yeah the refs fvck over the Devils so consistently I pretty much just expect it now.

I think that’s why you saw the reaction from Jack. That’s from a buildup of this sh!t all year.

• Like 3

I'm thinking every team's fans think their team get's fvcked more than every other team in the league almost nightly.  What sucks is when your team has almost no chance of overcoming it because they're icing a JV team. But it'll get better.

Good for Jack showing emotion he must be completely frustrated being surrounded by so many not so talented guys.

I bet you we easily and I mean easily won this one on paper, may have even been a near blowout.

Edited by titans04

Another game, another example of where our underlying numbers were good but the result is a loss.  Getting really, really, REALLY tired of this.

Good on Jack showing some emotion there.  That was a BS call and that seemed to fire the team up.  The NHL is really turning into a gong show with how bad some of the officiating has been the past few years.

Foote looked decent in his limited time.  Big body and has a nice shot.

The team is completely devoid of shooters.  Sharangovich and probably Bratt are the closest things we have now and even then they are 2nd/3rd liners on most teams.  Wood had his nice run earlier this season but that's about it; maybe we will see it again in 22-23.  Zacha I still see more as a playmaker.  Hopefully Foote fills in some of that void but this was his first game.

I still think guys like Maltsev, Merkley and Studenic are marginal NHL players.  They really shouldn't be regulars next season.

Siegenthaler is horrible.  He looks even worse than Mirco Mueller.  He gave up a 3rd for this guy but Fitz couldn't find anyone to take Vatanen, who is marginally better.  Fitz got gamed and admitted as much when he said that multiple teams put in claims for Vats.

Severson had a rough game too.  I will look forward to yet another article from one of those Devils blogs showing me charts and graphs that say he is actually Norris trophy-level talented.

Nas and Recchi should be pounded into the moon a la Nuclear Man did to Superman in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.  Everything about our special teams is just historically bad.  Why Nas is still here is beyond me with his track record with this team.

I was hoping we get 2 points out of 8 in this series against the Rangers.  We ended up with 0 out of 8.  I guess the team is in full tank mode.  So much for Fitz saying they will be competitive post-trade deadline.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Another game, another example of where our underlying numbers were good but the result is a loss.  Getting really, really, REALLY tired of this.

Good on Jack showing some emotion there.  That was a BS call and that seemed to fire the team up.  The NHL is really turning into a gong show with how bad some of the officiating has been the past few years.

Foote looked decent in his limited time.  Big body and has a nice shot.

The team is completely devoid of shooters.  Sharangovich and probably Bratt are the closest things we have now and even then they are 2nd/3rd liners on most teams.  Wood had his nice run earlier this season but that's about it; maybe we will see it again in 22-23.  Zacha I still see more as a playmaker.  Hopefully Foote fills in some of that void but this was his first game.

I still think guys like Maltsev, Merkley and Studenic are marginal NHL players.  They really shouldn't be regulars next season.

Siegenthaler is horrible.  He looks even worse than Mirco Mueller.  He gave up a 3rd for this guy but Fitz couldn't find anyone to take Vatanen, who is marginally better.  Fitz got gamed and admitted as much when he said that multiple teams put in claims for Vats.

Severson had a rough game too.  I will look forward to yet another article from one of those Devils blogs showing me charts and graphs that say he is actually Norris trophy-level talented.

Nas and Recchi should be pounded into the moon a la Nuclear Man did to Superman in Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.  Everything about our special teams is just historically bad.  Why Nas is still here is beyond me with his track record with this team.

I was hoping we get 2 points out of 8 in this series against the Rangers.  We ended up with 0 out of 8.  I guess the team is in full tank mode.  So much for Fitz saying they will be competitive post-trade deadline.

If Nass and Recchi are back here next year.... I won't even know what to say. 

• Like 2

Just now, slasher72 said:

If Nass and Recchi are back here next year.... I won't even know what to say. 

The worst part is that I do think there is a greater chance than not they will be back next season.  Management will likely see this season as either an aberration or a season of "growing pains" and pass that line off to the fans.

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Based on what I've seen, Maltsev is better than marginal. He's not top 6 but he can be an effective player. We don't have enough top-end talent, but we have a couple players that could fit in well here as role players/third and fourth liners. 

Regarding Severson, he's probably a third pair defenseman on a good team. He's kind of the poster boy for the lack of talent on the Devils the past 5 years. He's better than he was 2 years ago. If we wanted to trade him, there would be interest.

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Based on what I've seen, Maltsev is better than marginal. He's not top 6 but he can be an effective player. We don't have enough top-end talent, but we have a couple players that could fit in well here as role players/third and fourth liners. 

Regarding Severson, he's probably a third pair defenseman on a good team. He's kind of the poster boy for the lack of talent on the Devils the past 5 years. He's better than he was 2 years ago. If we wanted to trade him, there would be interest.

Maltsev is only in because Zacha is out.  If Zacha was healthy the next game he is the guy who is the odd man out.  For next season, if you consider Bratt and Zacha coming back, Foote and either one of Mercer or Holtz becoming regulars, and possibly some FA signings, then Maltsev is already playing on the second line in Binghamton Utica.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Maltsev is only in because Zacha is out.  If Zacha was healthy the next game he is the guy who is the odd man out.  For next season, if you consider Bratt and Zacha coming back, Foote and either one of Mercer or Holtz becoming regulars, and possibly some FA signings, then Maltsev is already playing on the second line in Binghamton Utica.

That's a lot of "ifs." There's still an opportunity for Maltsev to be a third or fourth line player here. I see a player with pretty good grinder potential. I like what I see so far. Maybe Foote could do that role better. We'll see. 

I wouldn't assume both Bratt and Zacha will be here next season -- if we're gonna "weaponize the cap" and trade for a top line winger, I could see one of them getting dealt. 

Amazingly, we are 2 goals away from the worst goal differential in the league, and we have a game in hand.  We may very well finish last in that category.  That, is quite jarring.  

I know there are some things this season that make you want to chalk this up as an anomaly, but fact of the matter is, it's a 56-game season - that's not a small amount of games.  This season may have been different, but as I've said before, it's been different for everyone, and the games are still being played just like they would under a "normal" 82-game season.  Granted they're a little more clumped together than they typically would be, but again, everyone's in the same situation, yet we're the ones who look considerably worse than almost anyone else in the league right now.  Despite the circumstances of this unusual year, I'm having a hard time justifying anyone on the coaching staff keeping their jobs.  The sad part is that Ruff won't get let go because it's his first year, and who knows if there would even be anyone else decent in the offseason to replace him, so I get it.  It's just really hard to argue that this team has improved in any way whatsoever.  I don't like the argument that goes something like "well, some of the young guys like Hughes and Kuok seem to be taking a  step forward".  You know why?  They're young.  It's their second or third seasons.  They're bound to take a step forward after their rookie seasons, even if a monkey was coaching them. 

The PP and PK are atrocious.  The guys are consistently out of position, particularly on defense, and it isn't even CLOSE.  They're not even in the same fvcking zip code half the time.  

I'm really curious what the owners have to say right about now.

• Like 1

Maltsev has quite the release. That one shot that hit the crossbar early in the game was on and off his stick in an instant, and was a total rocket. 

That play that Foote made on Nico's goal was very impressive. It's his first NHL game, and he's got 4 Rangers closing in on him on the boards. Not only did he stay with it so that the Devils came out with the puck, he had the awareness to find the open man across the ice (Merkley), who also made a nice pass to finish off the play. Tough to have a strong game when you're thrown into this sort of situation, but I liked some things I saw from Foote. I hope he'll get more time on Nico's wing next game.

It seems Severson has had a rough several games. Willing to give him a pass for otherwise being pretty good for most of the season. But Siegenthaler...some very questionable plays today. I won't judge until he has had a few more games, but that was not looking good at all.

Hughes, once again, flying around the ice and creating a ton of chances. Too bad he didn't get rewarded. Loved the emotion he showed after he got called for tripping. All of NJDevs.com was right there with you, Jack. 

35 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Amazingly, we are 2 goals away from the worst goal differential in the league, and we have a game in hand.  We may very well finish last in that category.  That, is quite jarring.  

I know there are some things this season that make you want to chalk this up as an anomaly, but fact of the matter is, it's a 56-game season - that's not a small amount of games.  This season may have been different, but as I've said before, it's been different for everyone, and the games are still being played just like they would under a "normal" 82-game season.  Granted they're a little more clumped together than they typically would be, but again, everyone's in the same situation, yet we're the ones who look considerably worse than almost anyone else in the league right now.  Despite the circumstances of this unusual year, I'm having a hard time justifying anyone on the coaching staff keeping their jobs.  The sad part is that Ruff won't get let go because it's his first year, and who knows if there would even be anyone else decent in the offseason to replace him, so I get it.  It's just really hard to argue that this team has improved in any way whatsoever.  I don't like the argument that goes something like "well, some of the young guys like Hughes and Kuok seem to be taking a  step forward".  You know why?  They're young.  It's their second or third seasons.  They're bound to take a step forward after their rookie seasons, even if a monkey was coaching them. 

The PP and PK are atrocious.  The guys are consistently out of position, particularly on defense, and it isn't even CLOSE.  They're not even in the same fvcking zip code half the time.  

I'm really curious what the owners have to say right about now.

The guys are consistently out of position, particularly on defense, and it isn't even CLOSE. I've been saying this for a while now. Also nothing like having, five players collapsing down low in defensive zone Facing the goalie. Leaving the points uncovered. Horrible positioning. 

9 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

The guys are consistently out of position, particularly on defense, and it isn't even CLOSE. I've been saying this for a while now. Also nothing like having, five players collapsing down low in defensive zone Facing the goalie. Leaving the points uncovered. Horrible positioning. 

Yeah, that's the most alarming thing to me - every game between all different teams around the league goals are scored because guys are out of position - it happens.  Even some of the best players and defenders get lost or burned or what have you.   But for us it's SOOOO frequent, and it's not just bad positioning, it's some of the worst I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into it more but this season might go down as the worst home record in the team's history at 4-17-3, good lord. 

Also we can be officially eliminated from the playoffs tomorrow if Boston wins their game to make it 8 of the past 9 seasons with no playoffs. Also next season will be a full decade since their 2012 run and our last playoff series win. We can yap about being spoiled in the 90s and 00s and blah blah blah but a full decade is a very long time. The good old days are long in the past at this point. fvck is it depressing. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The good old days are long in the past at this point. fvck is it depressing. 

This. We’re at the point where none of our fans under the age of 18 were alive/old enough to know when we last won a Stanley Cup. That’s long enough. 

And to be honest, I still see 2012 as kind of a fluke that we even made it that far. I don’t really think back and say “this team was great in 2012”. That’s why that year was sandwiched by missing the playoffs twice, and getting bounced in the first round three years prior to that. 

Not that we wouldn’t settle for making the playoffs at all at this point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll have to look into it more but this season might go down as the worst home record in the team's history at 4-17-3, good lord. 

Also we can be officially eliminated from the playoffs tomorrow if Boston wins their game to make it 8 of the past 9 seasons with no playoffs. Also next season will be a full decade since their 2012 run and our last playoff series win. We can yap about being spoiled in the 90s and 00s and blah blah blah but a full decade is a very long time. The good old days are long in the past at this point. fvck is it depressing. 

A decade of being bad is long.  That's why I roll my eyes at those saying that this hasn't been all that long and blah blah blah.  Maybe the official rebuild is "only" 6 years old, but a decade of being bad and squeaking into the playoffs once in those 10 seasons is pretty miserable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And to be honest, I still see 2012 as kind of a fluke that we even made it that far. I don’t really think back and say “this team was great in 2012”. That’s why that year was sandwiched by missing the playoffs twice, and getting bounced in the first round three years prior to that. 

I don't think it was a fluke, it was more like a last hurrah. That was a good hockey team, and one that admittedly got a tremendous boost from a stirring victory against Florida in round 1. I know it had a decent power play and great penalty killing, two things that seem so out of reach right now!

Edited by Jerrydevil

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I don't think it was a fluke, it was more like a last hurrah. That was a very good hockey team. I know it had a decent power play and great penalty killing, two things that seem so out of reach right now!

I think it was a fluke in a sense that if not for that 4th line really stepping up and playing way above their pay grade the team wouldn't have made it as far as they did. Kovy had the team on his back and when the injury finally caught him it was a bunch of nobodies that carried the team.

Not related, but despite losing the way they did to LA... Its hard not to imagine what might have happened if even just one of those OT losses in NJ went the other way.