GDT: Devils @ Pens 7:00 4/20

Jerzey

Worst game I ever saw in person was against the Pens. Back then, I had very little money (college, I think), and actually getting to a game was a once or maybe twice a season treat. Had my tickets and waited for the big day. 

Devils went down 4-0 in the first 5 minutes of the game. I was crushed, my big outing was totally ruined almost immediately. I believe we wound up losing 6-0. 

Tonight’s game felt like that and it definitely had me thinking about that sh!tty game. I was happy they mounted something of a comeback and showed at least a little balls. 

• Like 2

I like Lindy Ruff, but the devils showing up for only 1 of 3 periods every game is on the coaches (regardless of the quality of the roster).

The lack of execution (missed shots, special teams being completely inept) is on the coaches

I think the players and GM deserve blame too, but the coaching staff must take a lot responsibility here.

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I think a change in assistants is appropriate, yes.

I agree, but clearly changing all of them save for one didn’t improve the team. The issue is definitely part coaching, but there are many, many issues. 

Having a lot of young prospects is great, but it’s no guarantee that any of them work out long term. It could be a lean couple of years if we don’t bring in some other talent. 

1 minute ago, elias2600 said:

They should clean house. the downside is low. There is very little to lose by getting new/different leadership in.

We're at the bottom, there's no risk.

While I am not advocating this, I would have zero issues if they did it. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Ah yes, as everyone has always said: the best way to break out of a decade-long stretch of pitiful play is to fire the assistant coaches. 

So many of our issues are not coaching related. The concept that the coaching system involves not covering guys, bad passes, missing the net, bad penalties, etc. just doesn’t make any sense. 

I think Nas should’ve been let go because if you are going to clean house, clean the fvcking house. But I think a lot of folks blame him for a lot of things that simply are not coaching issues.

To me, the biggest issue we face going forward is adding some pieces to improve the team. That’s up to Fitz. 

Just now, Devs3cups said:

Side note, I’ve been happy with Foote so far.

An assist and then a goal is not a bad way to...

...GET YOUR FOOTE IN THE DOOR!!!

The defense is horrible and Blackwood has sucked. They similar type forwards. They need some bangers in their to protect the smaller players. I don't know how many times we've seen guys get crushed and no fight back. You have to be hard to play against and they are soft.  I would love to see 5 hard-nosed stay at home D. I'd get rid of all of them except Smith. 1 mover is plenty with these forwards. They need toughness. 

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Ah yes, as everyone has always said: the best way to break out of a decade-long stretch of pitiful play is to fire the assistant coaches. 

I mean, it does happen in all sports. NFL offensive and defensive coordinators lose their jobs before the head coach does. Pitching and hitting coaches get axed in baseball. 

I don't think it makes sense to look at a losing Devils decade when deciding what to do with Lindy Ruff. That's not a reason to make a decision. Are you advocating a short leash for every coach that gets hired until the losing ends? There's your risk, right there -- a coaching carousel with a young team. 

Edited by Jerrydevil

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Give me more than three words, MD. C’mon man. Tell me why.

You know why. You’ve posted why yourself here, several times man. You’re posting out of frustration and anger- and I get it, because I’ve been doing that a lot lately. But as sh!tty as this whole covid ravaged season has been, these kids are showing something. There is some pretty obvious talent here with Jack, Nico, Smith, Blackwood, Sharangovich, Foote, Kuokkanen..... there is a foundation to build on. There IS hope. So there ya go, I ended up telling you why anyway lol. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

When you said that, part of me wanted to post "No way in fvck it's gonna be one of those games tonight".  I can't believe it actually was.

Neither can I...still lol. They can't maintain consistency for 60 min but they don't quit and such comebacks, even without points, are beneficial for their mentality. I mean, who expected them to make it close being down 6:0? They'll learn how to win...eventually.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, elias2600 said:

I like Lindy Ruff, but the devils showing up for only 1 of 3 periods every game is on the coaches (regardless of the quality of the roster).

The lack of execution (missed shots, special teams being completely inept) is on the coaches

I think the players and GM deserve blame too, but the coaching staff must take a lot responsibility here.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I see where you're coming from on one hand, but like Fitz said there is no way that not covering guys, fvcking up passes, not hitting the net, letting in ground balls, etc is in the game plan. They seem to make those mistakes, get burned, and then find a way to dig deep and battle back a lot of nights. I feel like the latter is more on the coach than the former.

The other night Kuokkanen missed like 7+ shots though 2 periods against the Rangers. If they were setting up for endless shots from the point that were just getting blocked every time then that is on the coaches for not adjusting the game plan, but I don't see how someone can blame the coaches for a player just not hitting the net over and over. Where do you draw the line between coach's responsibility and players? Is it also the coach's fault Johnsson didn't score for like 30 games or that Goose had to be terminated he was so bad? 

Recchi and Nas need to go, but I don't think there is a better option than Ruff at this point and his track record with young guys seems to be legit-- not that there aren't mistakes, but most of our young talent is playing well for him. I can't think of many Devils teams that would have battled back after being down 6 in the 3rd.

Speaking of which, you guys remember this game against Toronto? I think if they had pulled it off tonight the comeback would have rivaled this one:

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Special teams have absolutely killed this season. There was a long stretch where they were actually a pretty good 5v5 team. But we have a historically bad PK, and a PP where the leading scorers have 8 points...

seems to me the assistants are a good place to start. 

• Like 2

By next season, with a couple key adds by Fitz and the next step taken by some of our promising young players, we will be competing for a playoff spot.

There are just too many bright young pieces for the odds to not hit on some of them really taking that next step in development. And there are a lot of them. Some of them may take a bit longer than next season but the foundation and core of this club has the potential to be deep.

Plus, it’s about that time to start using the cap space and surplus picks to add some key pieces to the club. The fact that this team of kids has fight is very encouraging. We will be handsomely rewarded for all the pain. It’s around the corner.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I see where you're coming from on one hand, but like Fitz said there is no way that not covering guys, fvcking up passes, not hitting the net, letting in ground balls, etc is in the game plan

Yeah to be clear, there is blame everywhere for these results. That said, it's clear that this coaching staff isn't providing an effective structure that makes our team hard to play against. Someone else might be able to do this, and so it's a responsibility to explore these options heading into next season. If there is a higher chance to be better than what you know currently capable of, you have to take it.

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

By next season, with a couple key adds by Fitz and the next step taken by some of our promising young players, we will be competing for a playoff spot.

We need more than a couple adds. Fitz has his work cut out for him in the FA market.

Shockingly, we need goaltending most of all.

Reliable goaltending (something we have not received from Blackwood this year barring his first few games) has to be the backbone a team that will still be young and inexperienced even if we bring in a few veteran skaters through FA.

5 minutes ago, elias2600 said:

We need more than a couple adds. Fitz has his work cut out for him in the FA market.

Shockingly, we need goaltending most of all.

Reliable goaltending (something we have not received from Blackwood this year barring his first few games) has to be the backbone a team that will still be young and inexperienced even if we bring in a few veteran skaters through FA.

Def need another Crawford-type addition to give Blackwood more recovery time in between games.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This was the first game this season where I felt the backups truly let the team down with really awful goaltending. What's your opinion? 

I agree. They were both awful tonight. Wedge has at least put a few good games to his name this season where he can get a pass but that bouncing puck was played so embarrassingly bad that he loses the pass.

Dell hasn’t done a damn thing all year. While I wouldn’t say his play has cost us in prior games, he’s just done nothing to win us anything either. He’s been most surprising because I thought he would be somewhat serviceable but he’s just a big nothing with adding value.

12 minutes ago, devlman said:

Dell hasn’t done a damn thing all year. While I wouldn’t say his play has cost us in prior games, he’s just done nothing to win us anything either. He’s been most surprising because I thought he would be somewhat serviceable but he’s just a big nothing with adding value.

You’re not kidding. I just looked out of curiosity, and his highest save % on the season was .902 (6 GP/4 starts). He’s been awful. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You’re not kidding. I just looked out of curiosity, and his highest save % on the season was .902 (6 GP/4 starts). He’s been awful. 

Awful, but in context of the D in front of him he'd probably make a pretty good backup on a competent team.