GDT: What fresh hell is this? (NJD Vs PHI) 11pm BST..

Chimaira_Devil_#9

2 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Losing culture = not doing anything after Laughton boards the hell out of Johnsson possibly tearing his acl. He should be picking his teeth up off the ice. 

No one cares. 

I thought that guy got off very light too.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm sorry, I'm just pissed.  This team suck sh!t.  I'm about to throw my laptop against the wall. .  See you guys in a week when I can get a new one.

I hope you handle real life problems better....This really has little bearing on your life other then the cost of a new laptop if you decide to let it rip.

15 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Gm Fitz, Better have a game plan going into the off season. Because we cannot trot this Defense back out next year, and I highly doubt Holtz or Mercer will be ready. So many whole to fill. 

The GM won't be able to address every need via trade or free agency, so players already in the organization will have to step up and compete for playing time.

What do we do with Damon Severson? His game had improved overall but since the deadline fire sale, he has slid. You would hope someone who has been here six years would be a leader, but he doesn't appear to be one. I could be wrong, though. 

Anyway, Severson may need a change of scenery. He wouldn't be the first player to need that. 

I hope no laptops were thrown against the wall and everyone is OK. Seriously, this season is trash and we are running out of offensive words trying to properly describe what we see. There are so many pieces missing in this team and behind the bench that I don't even want to waste your time reading more than 3 lines. I just HOPE they'll find the way to beat them in regulation in the next 2 home games. Not even looking any further. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

The GM won't be able to address every need via trade or free agency, so players already in the organization will have to step up and compete for playing time.

What do we do with Damon Severson? His game had improved overall but since the deadline fire sale, he has slid. You would hope someone who has been here six years would be a leader, but he doesn't appear to be one. I could be wrong, though. 

Anyway, Severson may need a change of scenery. He wouldn't be the first player to need that. 

Maybe he just needs to sit for a couple of games. Can't get much worse without him.

You have to applaud this team, they continually find new and innovative ways to lose hockey games in the most crushing of fashions. 

Although to be honest I can't get that mad a this stage, it's just become a farce. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You have to applaud this team, they continually find new and innovative ways to lose hockey games in the most crushing of fashions. 

Although to be honest I can't get that mad a this stage, it's just become a farce. 

That is a baseless and ridiculous statement. 

I’m SURE this was not the first time we’ve lost in this way, and there are no longer any innovative ways to lose we haven’t tried. But other than that, 100% correct. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That is a baseless and ridiculous statement. 

I’m SURE this was not the first time we’ve lost in this way, and there are no longer any innovative ways to lose we haven’t tried. But other than that, 100% correct. 

I don't know, two 6v5 goals in 30 seconds. That's got to be a new clusterfvck combination in this season of agony bingo. 

10 hours ago, hit the post said:

I hope you handle real life problems better....This really has little bearing on your life other then the cost of a new laptop if you decide to let it rip.

Yeah, I mean, I was kidding - but that's how angry (and shocked) I was at the loss last night, and still am.  I mean, it's truly unbelievable that they choked away a two goal lead with like 2-3 minutes left, and then went on to lose in a shootout. It'd be one thing to lose that way if we were in the middle of the season, or in the playoff hunt....but at the end of the season, having lost 9 games in a row like we have, you'd think this team would be fvcking clawing it's way to any victory they could possibly find.  Instead, they come from ahead in miserable fashion and just give it away.  

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I mean, I was kidding - but that's how angry (and shocked) I was at the loss last night, and still am.  I mean, it's truly unbelievable that they choked away a two goal lead with like 2-3 minutes left, and then went on to lose in a shootout. It'd be one thing to lose that way if we were in the middle of the season, or in the playoff hunt....but at the end of the season, having lost 9 games in a row like we have, you'd think this team would be fvcking clawing it's way to any victory they could possibly find.  Instead, they come from ahead in miserable fashion and just give it away.  

Point of order, it’s not a choke unless it happens in the playoffs lol. 

42 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I don't know, two 6v5 goals in 30 seconds. That's got to be a new clusterfvck combination in this season of agony bingo. 

Agony Bingo sounds like a guy who would be besties with Cinco Domingo.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hear what you're saying, but at this point, you're probably grading them using the wrong scale.  I don't think it's because the players didn't want it or wouldn't have loved to come out of there with a win.  This is a very young team basically being left to fend for itself, with some longtime vet experience stripped away.  I hate the way the season is ending up, don't get me wrong...but I really didn't expect this team to have very many good moments to wrap up the season, post-deadline.

And as much as I know it's not all on nASS...I've just seen enough.  It just feels like with guys like him around, there's that much less hope.  

• Like 1

After the third Rangers game I decided for my mental health and the mental health of those around me, I'd be taking the rest of this season off. I checked the score and came hear to read what was predictably said.

I don't think you give any suit that's even remotely associated with the Devils a second chance. Go get yourself a different GM, let him bring on his own guys. New front office, new coaching staff. 

"At least we're not the sabres", says the team 2 points behind the sabres. Best case scenario is the Devils lose out, end up with the 2nd overall pick, take Luke Hughes, and go into next season with a fresh start that doesn't include Fitzgerald, Ruff, Nasreddine, Recchi, or any of these fvcking losers. 

I watched the first and third/OT periods last night.  I can't really bring myself to watch a full game with this team.

I still think the Devils are semi-tanking with also an eye on the expansion draft (eligibility).  Mystery injuries that come and go (Kuokkanen, Smith, Bratt, Zacha) and questionable roster decisions.  The defense we iced last night was probably the worst defense we have iced since the 80's.  This is also taking into account some awful d-corps we have had in the past 8-9 years.

Guys like Mercer, Foote and Holtz have better work out and guys like Hischier, Hughes, Blackwood, and Bratt need to take that next step in a hurry if we are going to not go through more pain in the coming years.

A big splash in the UFA market would help, but I really doubt a guy like Hamilton wants to waste his best years on our team.  So either we sign another Cammalleri/Simmonds/Ryder/Stafford type player who won't make much, if any, of an impact, or we go the trade route.  However, as I have said over the past week or so, we cannot be doing this spare parts/picks for other teams most expendable guys.  We really need to be bold and just do it, even if it means trading guys like Hischier/Bratt/Zacha, etc.

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hear what you're saying, but at this point, you're probably grading them using the wrong scale.  I don't think it's because the players didn't want it or wouldn't have loved to come out of there with a win.  This is a very young team basically being left to fend for itself, with some longtime vet experience stripped away.  I hate the way the season is ending up, don't get me wrong...but I really didn't expect this team to have very many good moments to wrap up the season, post-deadline.

And as much as I know it's not all on nASS...I've just seen enough.  It just feels like with guys like him around, there's that much less hope.  

I don't know if Palmieri or Zajac type leadership would have made much of a difference last night or not.  We aren't winning now and we weren't winning much with them either.  

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't know if Palmieri or Zajac type leadership would have made much of a difference last night or not.  We aren't winning now and we weren't winning much with them either.  

I'm not saying the team would've been tons better (for the reason you just pointed out), but not having them right at this moment isn't helping.  With them and Kulikov still here, the Devils probably aren't on a 10-game losing streak.  Maybe they win a couple.  

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I watched the first and third/OT periods last night.  I can't really bring myself to watch a full game with this team.

I still think the Devils are semi-tanking with also an eye on the expansion draft (eligibility).  Mystery injuries that come and go (Kuokkanen, Smith, Bratt, Zacha) and questionable roster decisions.  The defense we iced last night was probably the worst defense we have iced since the 80's.  This is also taking into account some awful d-corps we have had in the past 8-9 years.

Guys like Mercer, Foote and Holtz have better work out and guys like Hischier, Hughes, Blackwood, and Bratt need to take that next step in a hurry if we are going to not go through more pain in the coming years.

A big splash in the UFA market would help, but I really doubt a guy like Hamilton wants to waste his best years on our team.  So either we sign another Cammalleri/Simmonds/Ryder/Stafford type player who won't make much, if any, of an impact, or we go the trade route.  However, as I have said over the past week or so, we cannot be doing this spare parts/picks for other teams most expendable guys.  We really need to be bold and just do it, even if it means trading guys like Hischier/Bratt/Zacha, etc.

As far UFA signing go, obviously those four were all much different types.  Cammalleri was a classic "Band-Aid try to hang on" signing that was questionable from the get-to (Cam's age and injury history)...Ryder (and Jagr) was an attempt to recover from losing Kovy to "retirement".  I don't get the feeling Fitz will sign those kinds of players, and that's a good thing.

BUT, sadly a Simmons or Stafford type, to a one-year stopgap deal...yeah, that I can see happening this offseason.  I really hope not.  

And yeah, for now the Devils have really put all their eggs in the youth basket...not that I have any issues with bailing on this season or dealing away soon-to-be-UFAs for whatever they could get...but this team needs more than more bargain bin dipping and "Well it's only for a year/only cost the Devils a mid-round pick" moves.  And unfortunately we probably won't know for at least a few more years if this group is going to come together, take steps, etc.  A ton of uncertainty.   

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agony Bingo sounds like a guy who would be besties with Cinco Domingo.  

Band name: Cinco Domingo and the Agony Bingo. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not saying the team would've been tons better (for the reason you just pointed out), but not having them right at this moment isn't helping.  With them and Kulikov still here, the Devils probably aren't on a 10-game losing streak.  Maybe they win a couple.  

As far UFA signing go, obviously those four were all much different types.  Cammalleri was a classic "Band-Aid try to hang on" signing that was questionable from the get-to (Cam's age and injury history)...Ryder (and Jagr) was an attempt to recover from losing Kovy to "retirement".  I don't get the feeling Fitz will sign those kinds of players, and that's a good thing.

BUT, sadly a Simmons or Stafford type, to a one-year stopgap deal...yeah, that I can see happening this offseason.  I really hope not.  

And yeah, for now the Devils have really put all their eggs in the youth basket...not that I have any issues with bailing on this season or dealing away soon-to-be-UFAs for whatever they could get...but this team needs more than more bargain bin dipping and "Well it's only for a year/only cost the Devils a mid-round pick" moves.  And unfortunately we probably won't know for at least a few more years if this group is going to come together, take steps, etc.  A ton of uncertainty.   

My fear is that this management and ownership group will sign a Simmonds or Stafford like player because none of the big names would want to come here.  Ownership and management will be too tempted to do this to say to the fans "look at what we did now get off our backs" while also wanting to be gutless and take as little risk as they can.  I still think a guy like Dougie Hamilton would take less money to play elsewhere and cap-strapped teams like the Rangers or Tampa always seem to find a way to have other teams give them a lifeline.

As I said earlier, really don't want bargain-hunting trades anymore.  We are entering into yet another offseason where we will hear the phrase "weaponizing cap space" over and over again from the team and hopefully we don't end up walking away with little to show for it. No more Johnsson, Johansson, Palmieri and Subban type trades where we trade picks and marginal players for their most expendable players.  Even the Subban trade was less about Nashville being in a cap crunch and more about they simply wanted Duschene more than Subban (which should have been a giant hint to us).   With the flat cap and expansion draft, Fitz has to make it much harder for the other teams than they have in the past.  Want cap relief?  Well you gotta give us something that will actually hurt you to lose to be compliant.

Edited by DevsMan84

I think for the reasons stated above, this is not the year we land a big free agent, unless we just overwhelm someone with cash and that motivates them. 

A free agent signing here needs to see that they are going to be part of something going forward. Right now the team is stripped down and is not displaying that vision to anyone.

It will take three things. Good drafting/prospects, which we have done a good job of and we have a lot of potential young talent. 

Now, we have to make some trades. Might be short-term guys who are going to be here for only a few years like Hall did. They are not necessarily part of the future, but could be. They are here to help the team get competitive now. 

A potential free agent, looking at prospects and some well placed trades, will start to see the direction of the team. If, in fact, it’s the right direction, some of the trade guys will re-sign, and free agents will start to think that they are the “missing piece” and that The Devils are there opportunity to make their mark. 

True, some guys will instead just say “the Capitals (or whoever) are competitive and ready to win, so I’ll just go there and get my Stanley Cup”, those guys, like the guys who want to play for their hometown team, you aren’t going to persuade. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think for the reasons stated above, this is not the year we land a big free agent, unless we just overwhelm someone with cash and that motivates them. 

A free agent signing here needs to see that they are going to be part of something going forward. Right now the team is stripped down and is not displaying that vision to anyone.

It will take three things. Good drafting/prospects, which we have done a good job of and we have a lot of potential young talent. 

Now, we have to make some trades. Might be short-term guys who are going to be here for only a few years like Hall did. They are not necessarily part of the future, but could be. They are here to help the team get competitive now. 

A potential free agent, looking at prospects and some well placed trades, will start to see the direction of the team. If, in fact, it’s the right direction, some of the trade guys will re-sign, and free agents will start to think that they are the “missing piece” and that The Devils are there opportunity to make their mark. 

True, some guys will instead just say “the Capitals (or whoever) are competitive and ready to win, so I’ll just go there and get my Stanley Cup”, those guys, like the guys who want to play for their hometown team, you aren’t going to persuade. 

I'm bringing baseball into this, but the Devils really need that "first piece" vet guy who still has some good years ahead of him, and makes an impact on and off the ice...an NHL version of Keith Hernandez.  

And just like Hernandez, that's a player who will likely have to be dealt for, because as you allude to, the UFA who fits that bill but has the final say in where he's going isn't likely to give the Devils a look...and like Hernandez, upon being dealt here, that player initially will probably be very skeptical of the team turning things around in the near future, but then (hopefully) is sold on the youth currently in the system, and the fact that the GM will be willing to deal some of that youth and/or picks for players who will move things along.

Who is that, say 28-or-so-year-old guy who can be that "first piece" (preferably a defenseman)...and hopefully be a robust 30-31 when the Devils are really to begin a robust window of contention?  I'd have to do some serious searching around to see who could actually be had.  But like DM84 said, this can't be a PK "Well he doesn't cost that much in assets for a reason" type of deal...it would have to be a player that yeah, Devils will have give something up of real substance, and the team that moves him knows this may hurt initially.  If some think the Devils are still one more season away from being able to make a deal like that, that they haven't accumulated quite enough young assets to start selling them off, I can understand.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1