Mitico12

Send to Chicago:

Zacha

Bratt

Severson

2021 1st

For:

Patrick Kane

Kane would pair up well with Hughes or Hischier, not to mention that he brings cup experience, and is on the younger side of 30.  Would inject life back into a franchise that is kind of down on it's luck, and still allow for us to build around Hischier and Hughes without parting ways with too much.

Thoughts?

For me it's a no. 

You are addressing one need , but by doing that you are making situations in other areas so much worse. 

I still have issues with consistency with both Bratt and Zacha, but they are leading this team on points. It's taken a long while to get any sort of organisational depth, and this would deplete that. 

Severson is still a useful player. If you ship him out you need to add three top 4 D men rather than 2 , and that's a hard enough task as it is. He needs his minutes reduced and to get support. As his role has increased this year with departures and injuries his performance has dropped. 

I am guessing that's the Islanders 1st? If it's not it's even more of a no from me. 

This is a move you maybe make if you are on the brink of challenging. I think all it would actually do is set the rebuild back another few years. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

For me it's a no. 

You are addressing one need , but by doing that you are making situations in other areas so much worse. 

I still have issues with consistency with both Bratt and Zach's, but they are leading this team on points. It's taken a long while to get any sort of organisational depth, and this would deplete that. 

Severson is still a useful player. If you ship him out you need to add three top 4 D men rather than 2 , and that's a hard enough task as it is. He needs his minutes reduced and to get support. As his role has increased this year with departures and injuries his performance has dropped. 

I am guessing that's the Islanders 1st? If it's not it's even more of a no from me. 

This is a move you maybe make if you are on the brink of challenging. I think all it would actually do is set the rebuild back another few years. 

Agreed. That’s a win now type move, which obviously doesn’t apply to the Devils. Seems like a lot to give up for two seasons of Kane (assuming he wouldn’t re-sign). 

As far as his age (32) goes, that dude has played a lot of hockey with all those deep playoff runs. And to quote Dr. Jones...

image.jpeg.155b8b3f4457a922bd9534a11daae725.jpeg

Yeah I would pass on that. 

First, his age. 32 with a LOT of miles as noted above. If what usually happens happens, he’ll be in decline in 2 years. 

Second, he’s only got 2 years left on his contract. That is way too much to give up for two years of Kane. Even if you throw in the usual “assuming he re-signs”, you can’t assume that because most people don’t re-sign in NJ after a trade. And even if he did, you’d probably be looking at paying him a sh!t ton of money for his declining years. 

I have no problem with trading some guys, but I don’t think that’s the deal for us. 

Like CD#9 said, if Kane represented the final piece and the Devils looked like they were truly ready to go for it, I'd do it.  But the Devils are clearly not there, and I don't think he has enough good years left.   

I can see a scenario where Bratt + Zacha (and maybe one of the more middling prospects) get moved for a younger "right now" kind of guy...someone who's 28 or so.  Not saying it will happen, just that I wouldn't be stunned if it did.  But the package listed in the OP is a lot...I'm not a big Severson guy, but like others have noted, the depth just isn't there yet for the Devils to be giving up that much for one over-30 player (even if it's a damned good one like Kane).   

I would use the 1st the Islanders gave us, for sure. 

I would hope next year, Fitzgerald and Co., have us competing for a playoff spot.  There would need to be some technical and character upgrades to the team for this to be done (including an assistant coach refresh), but it is not outside the realm of possibilities.  A solid backliner, and a good, bonafide sniper can change a team's fortunes.   

I think Kane is exactly that.  He is a player that certainly would meld well with Hughes or Hischier.  He isn't the "final piece" of a cup winning team, but can be a crucial part of getting us back to the playoffs. 

Losing Bratt and Zacha isn't the end of the world.  Severson is a major disappointment and maybe a change of scenery will help him too.  The 1st is a late round pick, so it is hit/miss if it pans out.

For 2 years of Patrick Kane - definitely doable. And if he re-signs, definitely a bonus on top of that.

4 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

I would use the 1st the Islanders gave us, for sure. 

I would hope next year, Fitzgerald and Co., have us competing for a playoff spot.  There would need to be some technical and character upgrades to the team for this to be done (including an assistant coach refresh), but it is not outside the realm of possibilities.  A solid backliner, and a good, bonafide sniper can change a team's fortunes.   

I think Kane is exactly that.  He is a player that certainly would meld well with Hughes or Hischier.  He isn't the "final piece" of a cup winning team, but can be a crucial part of getting us back to the playoffs. 

Losing Bratt and Zacha isn't the end of the world.  Severson is a major disappointment and maybe a change of scenery will help him too.  The 1st is a late round pick, so it is hit/miss if it pans out.

For 2 years of Patrick Kane - definitely doable. And if he re-signs, definitely a bonus on top of that.

We can all hope for that, but based on what exactly?  The Devils do have loads of cap space, but that's been the case for how long now?  Is anyone going to be surprised when not a whole lot is done in the offseason to try to expedite becoming competitive?  The franchise seems content (for now) to try to build through the draft and hope that Palms-type deals pay off (unfortunately out of those types of deals lately, Palms has just about been the ONLY one to work out).  Maybe eventually they'll make some splashy moves, but the guess here is that they will later use their money to pay/keep their homegrown talent (like I've said previously, seems like the Devils are putting all of their eggs in "these kids are going to pan out" basket).  A guy like 2021 Kane might make sense for the 2023-24 Devils, but who knows what Kane will be by then.  If anything, if he's still good and reaches UFA, the Devils would probably be in a great position to overpay him on a 2-3 year deal.  But let's see if Kane is still Kane by that point.  

You bring in Kane on this team right now, what he might give you is a reason to check out the points leaderboard.  But the Devils won't be that much better with him...just too many holes, and too much inexperience.  

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Dude is a beast though. PPG or better for 10 out of 14 years. Two were his first two years where he “only” had 72 and 70, and one was 76 in 82 games. His “worst” was 66 in 82 games in 2011-12. 

No doubt, he absolutely is.  I wish the Devils were better so it would actually make sense to bring him here...or that he was a few years younger.   

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If anything, if he's still good and reaches UFA, the Devils would probably be in a great position to overpay him on a 2-3 year deal.  But let's see if Kane is still Kane by that point.  

You bring in Kane on this team right now, what he might give you is a reason to check out the points leaderboard.  But the Devils won't be that much better with him...just too many holes, and too much inexperience.  

Couple of HUGE assumptions in there that I think make that a no-go. One, he would have to want to be in NJ and frequently that isn’t the case. Second, he would have to want to accept a 2-3 year deal at age 34, and if he is still a PPG player in 2 years as he is now, he will probably not be looking for 2-3 years as it would probably be his last lucrative deal. He’ll want 5, and if he is still producing, someone will give him 5. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Couple of HUGE assumptions in there that I think make that a no-go. One, he would have to want to be in NJ and frequently that isn’t the case. Second, he would have to want to accept a 2-3 year deal at age 34, and if he is still a PPG player in 2 years as he is now, he will probably not be looking for 2-3 years as it would probably be his last lucrative deal. He’ll want 5, and if he is still producing, someone will give him 5. 

Oh I'm not saying that the Devils being in great position means that if they wanted Kane that they'd get him.  This is obviously not a top destination...they could still be "smart" and try to get him at absolute top dollar for 2-3 years (assuming he's still productive), but he would probably take less from someplace more "desirable"...like you said, the Devils would probably have to blow everyone else out of the water and be ready to suck it up for at least 2 years of well-past-his-prime Kane to have ANY chance of reeling him in. 

Having lots of money is great...getting someone to take it (and not feel like they're actually making, er, a deal with the Devil) is another story.  That's why I think this money will ultimately go to Hughes, Smith, and any other homegrown kids who prove their worth just as they're about to go RFA...or to bring in a young player on an existing high-priced deal (and giving up good pieces to do it).  The former isn't really a bad way to go and if you draft and develop the right guys you can really enjoy a nice window of legit relevance...but right now in the present, with no absolute sure thing in that bunch (I do like Jack and Nico plenty), and the team having sucked for most of the past several seasons, being in the thick of such a window seems so out of reach.  

Just now, xxchaznjxx said:

If the Devils are making this trade I would rather it was for a promising young defenseman. I know we need forward help but we are really hurting on D, even though I hope we see Bahl, Reilly, and Vukojevic get a chance next season.

Was thinking the same thing...I think it probably needs to start with a D-stud.  But they are hard to come by.

I hope the D-kids in system pan out, but it wasn't so long where it looked like happy days were soon to be here again with Severson, Gelinas, Merrill...and Santini waiting in the wings.  I really hope this current crop fares better.   

Just now, Guadana said:

Why the hell Devils shoud do that? Devils have a lot of problems on RD, Zacha and Bratt are the only two wingers who look and play like top-6 wingers. Both are young and on controlled contrracts.

Frankly, if Kane was a Devil, the Devils should be trying to move him for a similar package in return. So why would they? They wouldn’t. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I'd like to see a deal with Columbus for Patrik Laine, but I know there will be disagreements on that idea. I see him as a good fit with what we have here already. 

For me, a Laine deal hinges on an extension. I'm very intrigued to see what he could do with Hughes but I'm also a little wary of his reputation. Who knows how much of that is media bull and how much is true? 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

For me, a Laine deal hinges on an extension. I'm very intrigued to see what he could do with Hughes but I'm also a little wary of his reputation. Who knows how much of that is media bull and how much is true? 

I honestly don't know about the truth of his reputation, but he could be an immense help to our power play and Jack Hughes' production. Laine seems to be doing better in Columbus after a long slump.

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Same. I’m not sure about his attitude, maybe it’s not good, maybe his situations haven’t been. But for what they would likely want in return, I would have to know he was locked in for a while. 

Also, nobody gets to call him Patty. We already have a Patty and it ain’t him. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Same. I’m not sure about his attitude, maybe it’s not good, maybe his situations haven’t been. But for what they would likely want in return, I would have to know he was locked in for a while. 

Also, nobody gets to call him Patty. We already have a Patty and it ain’t him. 

No Patty nickname, LOL! Yes, Laine would be expensive and who knows if Columbus wants to unload him after just getting him. But if Tortorella remains the coach, there might be an opportunity to pry Laine away. There's risk, but I keep coming to the conclusion that we need to take a risk to get a sniper. I'm not crazy about putting all hopes on Alexander Holtz  and Dawson Mercer. But maybe those kids can be the answer. I don't know. We really do need to score more goals, though, we've been bad at that for years. Even when Taylor Hall rocked, no one else did. 

Edited by Jerrydevil

2 hours ago, xxchaznjxx said:

If the Devils are making this trade I would rather it was for a promising young defenseman. I know we need forward help but we are really hurting on D, even though I hope we see Bahl, Reilly, and Vukojevic get a chance next season.

You left out the most likely guy in Okhotyuk. From everything I’ve heard he looks the closest to being ready. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

You left out the most likely guy in Okhotyuk. From everything I’ve heard he looks the closest to being ready. 

I cant say he is nhl ready, because he didnt play in nhl. He deserved a try. Vukojevic too. I cant say about Bahl the same for now.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was thinking the same thing...I think it probably needs to start with a D-stud.  But they are hard to come by.

I hope the D-kids in system pan out, but it wasn't so long where it looked like happy days were soon to be here again with Severson, Gelinas, Merrill...and Santini waiting in the wings.  I really hope this current crop fares better.   

Hockeys version of Generation K , add larsson