2021 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

Might as well start this thread with the draft tonight, hopefully Wilson (on the 99.9% chance we pick him) is as good as some of the experts think he can be. I’m still a bit iffy but none of these guys past Lawrence are really sure things. This almost feels like a year we’re trying to invent franchise QB’s and I seriously doubt all of them pan out, especially with a lot of the recent flameouts of top picks like Goff, Winston, Mariota not to mention the Darnold thing.

Having the #23 pick will at least keep me interested in the first round after the fait accompli.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I know this is a Jets thread but I'm obviously curious to see if the Pats trade up for one of these QBs coming out.  I still think that when the dust settles, the Pats don't take a QB in the first round, and Jimmy G winds up becoming their starter in 2021.  Obviously risky, given his injury history.

I think what the Pats do in part depends on what the Niners do with Garroppolo.  If they do keep him as a bridge to a Lance type then I could see the Pats trying to trade up for Fields or Mac Jones.  Heck they could even trade up for Lance and redshirt him behind Cam.  If they deal him I don't see any way he doesn't wind up in NE.  Of course Bill being Bill he'll probably just pick some third-rounder and think he can coach him up long-term. 

I'm sure he's also made the Aaron Rodgers inquiry by this point lol, not that the Pats really have enough to make that trade.  If the Jets had the 2008-09 team Rodgers would be perfect for us but too many holes for that kind of trade.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I actually don't hate the tradeup...hard to argue with fortifying the o-line with pick quantity in a question mark of a draft.

Of course it left Mac Jones sitting for the Pats and they made the predictable move, another Saban guy going to Bill.

• Like 1

I watch next to no NFL but as someone who watches all of the big college football games, I think the Jets, Steelers or Bills would all be smart to take ETN.   Despite winning two ACC POYs, that dude is so underrated.   He's the Patrick Elias of college football players.   

• Like 1

I wouldn't hate it considering the Jets have had spotty production at RB since Curtis Martin other than Rex's ground and pound years but we have needs all over the place so I almost don't care what they pick, I do like they're shoring up the line though - build from within.

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I actually don't hate the tradeup...hard to argue with fortifying the o-line with pick quantity in a question mark of a draft.

Of course it left Mac Jones sitting for the Pats and they made the predictable move, another Saban guy going to Bill.

Yeah Pats played this well...got their guy without having to give up additional assets.  Didn’t think it would play out that way.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Mac Jones lmfao. Let’s just say I’m not scared of him. At all. 

The guys who are “scariest” don’t always get the job done.  At the very least, I like that Jones didn’t cost anything more than where he was selected...but obviously going to be quite a while before we know how he pans out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The guys who are “scariest” don’t always get the job done.  At the very least, I like that Jones didn’t cost anything more than where he was selected...but obviously going to be quite a while before we know how he pans out.

Well overdrafted. Dude is a 3rd round talent. His pro day was absolute trash. I’m actually underwhelmed with our draft so far, but when I saw you guys took Mac Jones, it buoyed my spirits. He should thank his Alabama teammates for helping to make him a lot of $$$$ lol

Edited by MadDog2020

If anyone got Jones drafted by NE it was Saban, no way Bill makes that pick if his buddy doesn't give him a ringing endorsement.  A couple of writers are claiming Vera-Tucker was actually a target of the Pats at 15, which I'd buy if Jones wasn't there.  I doubt they'd have picked a guard over a Saban-approved QB.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well overdrafted. Dude is a 3rd round talent. His pro day was absolute trash. I’m actually underwhelmed with our draft so far, but when I saw you guys took Mac Jones, it buoyed my spirits. He should thank his Alabama teammates for helping to make him a lot of $$$$ lol

He wasn't falling to the third round though...and pro days aren't the be-all end-all (ask Brady).  QB is never about 100% physical skill (though obviously it's great to have a cannon for an arm, scrambling ability, etc)...gotta have some brains, leadership, etc.  It does feel like the Pats could potentially be a solid fit for what Jones brings, but like I said, we won't know until Year 3 or 4 of his time as a Patriot if it's going to work out.  Even "sure things" often don't.  

I get the feeling that unless he wows in camp and preseason (assuming there's preseason games), he's going to sit for most (possibly all) of next season.  Doesn't thrill me mostly because I'm not a fan of Cam, but at the same, I can't make the argument on April 30 that Jones will somehow give the Pats more of a chance to win than Cam.  I just wish the Pats had tried a different "not our future but a solid vet" QB...I could've seen Fitzpatrick coming to NE for a year.

On a side note, in not exactly breaking news, that's gotta be it for "What the hell, why not, only cost a 4th-rounder" Jarrett Stidham.  Pats clearly didn't like what they saw of him in practices, because no matter how awful Cam was, BB clearly wasn't comfortable ever giving him any real look.  Guess he bounces around as a backup/3rd string.  

• Like 1

AFC East has really become the “young QB” division.  Imagine if ALL of these kids pan out (Allen already has of course).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I've learned to accept Wilson...it was inevitable. Weeks and months in the making. They fell in love with him. I'm still on the fence. His arm is good, but not great. He makes plays, but not the holy sh!t elite plays you'd see from supposed generational talent QBs. He's athletic...I think he makes smart decisions. The dumb INTs (and fumbles, just turnovers in general) that you saw with Darnold I you don't see with Wilson. He has a higher football IQ and the right football instincts. That I'm happy with...still I can't find great within this guy. He'll be a pretty good/good QB, but greatness is not in his future. And maybe that's ok after what we've dealt with seemingly forever

Basically if Wilson turns into a long term Kirk Cousins for us, can we surround him with the right talent to win. To go to the playoffs, to win playoff games? I think that answer is yes. To win a Super Bowl? Not sure

The Vera-Tucker pick I was on the fence with off the bat. Two 3rds this year for a team that still needs so much pure talent and depth worries me. Our situation at CB is not good and we could use a good value RB. Could've nabbed both in the 3rd

Still I see what JD is trying to do here and make sure our kid quarterback is supremely protected. This is not the Mac piece it together with cheap table scraps and draft head scratching projects approach to building an offensive line. He got a major talent in Becton last year and he bolsters it with another major talent in Vera-Tucker. He was also a captain last year for USC, and a communications major. You can see the Jets think they are getting an intelligent hard working leader on the line. We were spoiled for so long with Mangold and D-Brick anchoring that line (+ Brandon Moore and Fanceca for a few years) that line was the engine that drove that offense.

16 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he is going to succeed there is no better franchise, or better fit for him than New England.

I like him as a player, there's nothing sexy or jaw dropping or exciting about him. But who cares, that's not the name of the game. He's smart, he wins, he's not an arrogant ME guy.

• Like 1

I do like the Elijah Moore pic too. And yes it we have Berrios and Crowder still but...for the love of God the Jets finally FINALLY have both depth and talent at the wide receiver position. I don't ever want to go back to dthe days of Greg Salas and David Nelson and Jeremy Kerley as our #1.

He was 2nd only to Devonta Smith in receptions (and the Eagles btw totally stole Smith from under the Giants noses) 86 catches in only 8 games at Ole Miss...and I realize that that doesn't always translate to NFL star. The difference is watching him play you can see his talent is pretty special. Sometimes you have guys at the top of college football stat lists and you can pretty much see they won't be much in the NFL...Trey Quinn types.

We'll see what it mean for Crowder. Writing is sort of on the wall. 

Also have to say I was surprised Miami didn't get Devonta Smith. Very worried that they would. Still Waddle looks like a guy who's going to be a headache defending for years to come. 

Edited by '7'

On 4/30/2021 at 10:42 PM, '7' said:

Also have to say I was surprised Miami didn't get Devonta Smith. Very worried that they would. Still Waddle looks like a guy who's going to be a headache defending for years to come. 

I preferred Smith to Waddle if Pitts and Chase were both off the board. But the Dolphins loved Waddle. He was the top WR on their board. I think we even had him graded ahead of Chase. Grier better be right, because if Smith tears it up in Philly and Waddle doesn’t live up to what’s expected of him, the second guessing will be loud. 

Edited by MadDog2020

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 7:51 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL

Full NFL schedule comes out tonight. Figured we’d either get stuck with this game or Jacksonville Week 1

Well good. Of course. Honestly we have no reason to fear him. (We DO have reason if Robby gets behind the D or McCaffrey finds space to fear them) but Darnold you just know will do enough dumb sh!t to give us a good chance to win

• 2 months later...

There’s really nothing to say about this, awful and before he ever really got to work with the team. This is why I never really wanted to ride bicycles or motorcycles, you don’t have a car or an airbag as a buffer in case of the worst.