2021 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

And not for nothing but can the Jets get this god damn Zach Wilson deal done already?  Joe Douglas with these negotiations is like Lou Lamoriello without the cache or success.  Jamal Adams was one thing, now we have Marcus Maye unhappy and this Wilson stupidity.  There's no reason that he should be the ONLY first-round pick holding out over fvcking offset language.  Newsflash Joe, if you have to worry about offset language after three years it won't be your problem because you'll be out on the fvcking street too.

Unless we're gonna start James Morgan and fvcking tank again there's no reason for this sh!t.

Edited by NJDevs4978

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And not for nothing but can the Jets get this god damn Zach Wilson deal done already?  Joe Douglas with these negotiations is like Lou Lamoriello without the cache or success.  Jamal Adams was one thing, now we have Marcus Maye unhappy and this Wilson stupidity.  There's no reason that he should be the ONLY first-round pick holding out over fvcking offset language.  Newsflash Joe, if you have to worry about offset language after three years it won't be your problem because you'll be out on the fvcking street too.

Unless we're gonna start James Morgan and fvcking tank again there's no reason for this sh!t.

And they finally get it done. The heat was very much being turned up on them and fast. I mean it's unthinkable that they would even go out and have a single practice without this guy under center. The optics of this are horrific, especially since Darnold missed a portion of camp as well in 2018.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The achilles will be torn there is no doubt.

But how is it that every year...every god damn year we lose our best players for long stretches if not the season? Not always a torn ACL but some kind of bad long term injury. And here it happens again.

The team just needs to tiptoe/no contact every practice now apparently

I 100% get feeling cursed (I am a Mets fan after all), but I think this is just how it is now in the NFL.  Guys are bigger, faster, and stronger than ever...and put 'em on a field where they're making hard contact with one another, some of them are going to go down with injuries.  More and more, so it seems.  It's gotta be brutal being a GM and trying to put together a team these days.  

I've always enjoyed watching football (a little less so these days, with so many QBs putting up goofy video-game numbers...to me the game was perfectly balanced in the 80s and 90s), but like the doc said in the movie "Concussion"...I don't think most human bodies are truly up to playing football from the age of 6 or so through their late 20s-early 30s...especially with the size and speed involved.  

While you’re correct, it’s major non-contact injuries like this that are more annoying. Lawson got injured in a controlled scrimmage which was basically flag football. Go back to Vinny in the first half of the first regular season game for another major non contact injury. Then there’s just the stupid ass preseason injuries we get like Sanchez in the Snoopy Bowl or Avery Williamson running with the two’s in the second quarter of the first preseason game.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Loved what I saw from Wilson in Green Bay. So far comparing him to Geno Smith, Sanchez, and Darnold, the kid is far far ahead of where they were at this point. His arm is better than all 3, he knows when to gun it and when to put some touch on it. He actually takes care of the football, he has a high football IQ and just the right instincts. You never saw any of that for any kind of stretch with the other 3. Plus it actually looks like the organization has the right people in the positions of power to help the kid and the team in general succeed. This is the most stable footing the Jets have been on in a while.

Good to hear the Jets poking around regarding replacing Lawson (Chandler Jones?) they cannot just let this go...it's too big a hit to the defense. They need to bring in a guy to fill Lawsons role. Nobody from within will do the job. Jones fell off the radar last year, but had 19 sacks in 2019. Go get him

Edited by '7'

Yeah the only caveat with Wilson so far is he hasn’t faced a first team D yet but I like his attitude at least, when he was asked about a couple of INT’s in practice a while back he made the point that he’s trying stuff now to see what he can get away with in a game and what he can’t. That’s awareness.

Edited by NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah the only caveat with Wilson so far is he hasn’t faced a first team D yet but I like his attitude at least, when he was asked about a couple of INT’s in practice a while back he made the point that he’s trying stuff now to see what he can get away with in a game and what he can’t. That’s awareness.

I've had similar concerns with Becton who hasn't really impressed in practice but has played pretty well in both pre-season games. The constant microscope on these guys sometimes leads to some unnecessary panic (which I'm guilty of buying into too)

The Jets also lost Jarrad Davis for a about two months which is another blow to the defense. I expect them to be very active during cut down days. There will be the first round of cuts coming tomorrow at 4pm 

It’s actually the second round of cuts, last week was 90 to 85, this week is 85 to 80, next Tuesday is the big one, 80 to 53. But yeah I expect them to be active although they have taken a roll the young guys out approach at certain positions like CB or even backup QB.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 8/23/2021 at 12:41 PM, '7' said:

I've had similar concerns with Becton who hasn't really impressed in practice but has played pretty well in both pre-season games. The constant microscope on these guys sometimes leads to some unnecessary panic (which I'm guilty of buying into too)

The Jets also lost Jarrad Davis for a about two months which is another blow to the defense. I expect them to be very active during cut down days. There will be the first round of cuts coming tomorrow at 4pm 

My concern with Becton is more his availability than being dominated by Carl Lawson. Out again last night with a likely concussion, he’s had some other nagging issues so far early in his pro career.

Conflicting reports on why they sat Zach last night, it was assumed to be weather related but Saleh said after the game it was in part because Becton was out already. I’m not sure how much I like this new preseason schedule, teams don’t exactly have a uniform strategy for three games, you get even less from then than what you did when clearly starters played against starters and backups against backups and the starters play even less now cause you need these games for the kids and bubble roster guys.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Breaking just naw, Shaq Lawson to the Jets

Only gave up a 6th. He never lived up to expectations...had a few moments here and there. But they needed to replace Carl somehow and Saleh needs someone like this to effectively run his D. Mitigates what we lost slightly...still this defense I feel just won't be that good with our issues at CB

Edited by '7'

Jets have Dion Jordan in for a workout today. Former 1st round Miami bust. However he was with Saleh last year in San Francisco and played alright when given a chance (didn't start of course) not sure if anything will come out of this but it's good to see the Jets trying any which way to make up for losing the pressure Carl Lawson would've inflicted on opposing O's. I hope they haven't given up on a Chandler Jones trade either 

Yeah all these guys to me are more Vinny Curry replacements than Lawson. Not that I expect them to make any kind of big win now move but damn when’s the last time the Jets could actually get pressure on the QB, when John Abraham was playing and healthy?

Jets waive Yeboah (practice squad?) but trade Herndon to Minnesota for a compensatory draft pick. Not sure I agree with that move. 

Griffin, Kroft, Wesco, Brown are the TE's...though Wesco they have been trying to convert to fullback.

As Cimini tweeted...this is a group that's both thin and injury prone. Hope something else is coming.

Edited by '7'

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL

But you know...I don't miss a single one. Look at the depth we have at WR now, don't miss Robby. Enunwa MAYBE, if he didn't have that career ending injury he'd probably still be here and producing in some capacity

Surprising move as the Jets cut Bless Austin...thinning out an already atrocious group of corners

They also pick up Quincy Williams from Jacksonville. He is the brother of Quinnen Williams. Basically a backup linebacker but a necessary addition after losing Jarrad Davis who will probably be out through Halloween.

• 2 weeks later...