Jump to content

GDT Devils @ Flyers 05/01 @ 7pm on msg+


lazer
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Zacha without the facial hair looks like that annoying French dude that got his shoes stolen on HBO’s “Oz”.

 

A5629543-0604-49B1-8939-F726E4097EF9.jpeg

I’m at a brewery checking in here and you just about made me spit my beer out...LOL

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I’m at a brewery checking in here and you just about made me spit my beer out...LOL

I have to admit, I want sure that reference would land, so I added the picture. I am glad I did because it confirmed I was fvcking right as rain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a side note...the Flyers are really a fvcking mess right now.  Yikes.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note...the Flyers are really a fvcking mess right now.  Yikes.

Well they lost a few to us, so yeah...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy the Devils are winning but looking at the standings feeling like “here we go again”... 3 times in the past 6 years we’ve had a little mini winning streak that’s cost us draft position at the end of the year.

Regardless, it’s really nice to see the kids playing so well. Sharangovich and Kuokkonen seem like keepers.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

Happy the Devils are winning but looking at the standings feeling like “here we go again”... 3 times in the past 6 years we’ve had a little mini winning streak that’s cost us draft position at the end of the year.

Regardless, it’s really nice to see the kids playing so well. Sharangovich and Kuokkonen seem like keepers.

Of all the years to do it, it's seems like this year isn't a bad time to actually win some games. You can actually see some chemistry developing. 

And given the complete lack of consensus on the draft order it hopefully shouldn't matter. 

(Having said that if we don't get one of Brandt Clarke or Luke Hughes I will be pissed) 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MB3 said:

Happy the Devils are winning but looking at the standings feeling like “here we go again”... 3 times in the past 6 years we’ve had a little mini winning streak that’s cost us draft position at the end of the year.

Regardless, it’s really nice to see the kids playing so well. Sharangovich and Kuokkonen seem like keepers.

Even though it was all against a Flyers team that was a mess, it sure does make me feel better about the young core watching them show some heart and pull out of a long losing streak with Sharangovich, Hughes, Bratt and Zacha all piling up points along the way.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note...the Flyers are really a fvcking mess right now.  Yikes.

Yes, something stinks in Philly. Their goaltending really sucks. And Blackwood was great yesterday. Amazing how the rest of the team plays in front of you when you have confidence between the pipes.  I think Dev's players like this winning sh>t. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Yes, something stinks in Philly. Their goaltending really sucks. And Blackwood was great yesterday. Amazing how the rest of the team plays in front of you when you have confidence between the pipes.  I think Dev's players like this winning sh>t. 

And it’s the fact that the Flyers are such a mess that forces me to temper my enthusiasm...the Devils just did lose 10 straight games after all.  But I do like seeing these youngins putting up some numbers regardless.  Many of these pieces aren’t sure things, but at least they represent a chance of being able to develop from within...it wasn’t so long ago that that had become a serious problem for the Devils.

Given the amount of cap space that this team has, I’m fully on board with the Devils stepping up and overpaying for Hamilton and/or Larsson.  Neither is old and they can definitely help move things along.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t realize how bad the Flyers have been for quite a while...just four regulation wins in their last 31 GP.  Goddamn...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For years, I’ve been pretty consistently on board for losing all unimportant games down the stretch in order to get in a better draft position. And I agree that when it comes to draft day, it is frustrating to think back to the seemingly useless wins that bumped us back a few spots. But I have to say, it feels different this time around. As much as I think this team sorely needs one of those top defensemen in the draft this year, it’s great to see some of these young players carrying the team. I’ll take any win we can get if it helps get our young core to the next level - and even better if it’s any indication of a better next season. Feels good to be rooting for the team even when playoffs are out of the question.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nessus said:

For years, I’ve been pretty consistently on board for losing all unimportant games down the stretch in order to get in a better draft position. And I agree that when it comes to draft day, it is frustrating to think back to the seemingly useless wins that bumped us back a few spots. But I have to say, it feels different this time around. As much as I think this team sorely needs one of those top defensemen in the draft this year, it’s great to see some of these young players carrying the team. I’ll take any win we can get if it helps get our young core to the next level - and even better if it’s any indication of a better next season. Feels good to be rooting for the team even when playoffs are out of the question.

Like that it’s kids coming on.  Nothing against either Zajac or Palms (I liked both players a hell of a lot), but I’m glad that this little surge (Devils have scored 33 goals in their last 9 games...they’ve also given up 39, which is a problem, but they’re at least scoring) isn’t being led by older players who clearly aren’t the future.

I really do want to see Fitz put himself out there and make a real play for some good veteran help on D...yes, he will probably have to be the highest bidder.  But it really feels like this team could truly benefit from a signing like that.  And at some point, gotta stop talking up weaponizing cap space, and actually DO that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did what we needed to do to tank. We traded away our vets and most of the expiring contracts. Short of not playing healthy guys who should be played just to help their development, what should we have done? 

Tanking is done by management. You don’t ask the players on the ice, especially not guys this young, to not win. You want to talk about “being ok with losing” or having a losing culture, that would be the ultimate expression of it. 

If you won’t despite that, so be it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We did what we needed to do to tank. We traded away our vets and most of the expiring contracts. Short of not playing healthy guys who should be played just to help their development, what should we have done? 

Tanking is done by management. You don’t ask the players on the ice, especially not guys this young, to not win. You want to talk about “being ok with losing” or having a losing culture, that would be the ultimate expression of it. 

If you won’t despite that, so be it. 

I wouldn’t even call that tanking, as much as smart asset management...team has no shot at the playoffs, get what you can for players likely to leave or who simply don’t fit into the future plans, and call it a day.

Full-on tanking is so hard to pull off, because players have a way of surprising under such circumstances.  It reaches a point that the only way you can really do it is to sit players who clearly deserve to play for significantly less-talented personnel.  The Dolphins tried to set up a tank a couple of years ago and the initial results went as expected, but then they started to come together, and to that franchise’s credit, they didn’t get in the way and try to sabotage them.

If the kids are beginning to believe in themselves and that’s translating into wins on the ice, good for them.  Curious to see what happens against non-Flyer opponents, as this season winds down.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And it’s the fact that the Flyers are such a mess that forces me to temper my enthusiasm...the Devils just did lose 10 straight games after all.  But I do like seeing these youngins putting up some numbers regardless.  Many of these pieces aren’t sure things, but at least they represent a chance of being able to develop from within...it wasn’t so long ago that that had become a serious problem for the Devils.

Given the amount of cap space that this team has, I’m fully on board with the Devils stepping up and overpaying for Hamilton and/or Larsson.  Neither is old and they can definitely help move things along.  

Getting a Hamilton and/or Larsson wouldn't that be terrific, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not with this owner/management. I hope I am wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Getting a Hamilton and/or Larsson wouldn't that be terrific, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not with this owner/management. I hope I am wrong. 

I think ownership would love a more "marquee" name. They loved Hall & welcomed Subban. I would think they want to see returns on investment. Philly has #28 & #93 making well over 8 mil & growing long in the tooth. Couts is up for a big raise, Hayes make 7 mil. JVR at 7 mil Provarov hasn't looked all that good. They spend the $$. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I think ownership would love a more "marquee" name. They loved Hall & welcomed Subban. I would think they want to see returns on investment. Philly has #28 & #93 making well over 8 mil & growing long in the tooth. Couts is up for a big raise, Hayes make 7 mil. JVR at 7 mil Provarov hasn't looked all that good. They spend the $$. 

Philly, Edm, Toronto prove that you need back end defense first.. Next to a nfl QB an all star nhl defenseman is the most difficult position to fill in sports. Major league pitchers are such whores lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brewskies said:

Getting a Hamilton and/or Larsson wouldn't that be terrific, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not with this owner/management. I hope I am wrong. 

I can live with Fitz truly pulling out all of the stops and doing every last thing that he can, but still missing out on a guy like Hamilton (80 points in his last 98 games)...that happens.  But if he doesn't even throw his hat in the ring (assuming that Hamilton reaches UFA of course), with this much fvcking money to work with...then I'm going to start to wonder what the hell it is that the Devils are doing...sure, at some point you want to have some money to pay your own guys down the line, but the Devils can't sell me on the importance of financial flexibility forever.  They currently have more of it than most teams can only dream of.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is everyone so down on Ownership? I guess I’m forgetting who we realistically could have spent money on recently beyond the fact that they authorized us snatching up Subban for cheap because of his bloated contract.  
 

With the actual emergence of a young core, I would argue that this summer and probably more likely next summer would be the first realistic chance to grab a high profile free agent.   
 

I do hope they go hard after Hamilton this summer though.   Add him and a top end D in the draft and we’re going to look really good going forward.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Why is everyone so down on Ownership? I guess I’m forgetting who we realistically could have spent money on recently beyond the fact that they authorized us snatching up Subban for cheap because of his bloated contract.  
 

With the actual emergence of a young core, I would argue that this summer and probably more likely next summer would be the first realistic chance to grab a high profile free agent.   
 

I do hope they go hard after Hamilton this summer though.   Add him and a top end D in the draft and we’re going to look really good going forward.  

Actually, I never got the impression that ownership has an issue with spending.  I think Shero was trying to set himself up to be able to spend when the time was right (unfortunately that time never came for him), and I think Fitz is of a similar mindset.  So I think it’s more of a GM thing...but, there’s money to spend, and targets that make sense that can help.  I’m just ready to see a real push.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As others have said, I am not going to get too crazy over these wins.  Flyers have had borderline historically bad goaltending this season and Elliott and Lyon are just not good.

These are hallow victories if this cost us a good draft position.  I really hope this is the last year I will have to even think about this, but I have a feeling I have about 1 or 2 more seasons left of thinking this way at the end of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.