The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

29 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

I think they would entertain it, like for 30 seconds. I would entertain it and consider it carefully but the Devils won't. Fitzgerald would lose respect, just my opinion on the respect point.

Again, depends on the offer. If the Oilers call and offer you McDavid for Nico straight up, you make that deal. 

Obviously that’s an extreme example that will never happen, but there are at least 20-25 guys in the league that if they were offered, I think you would have to jump on it, or at least carefully consider it. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, depends on the offer. If the Oilers call and offer you McDavid for Nico straight up, you make that deal. 

Obviously, that’s an extreme example that will never happen, but there are at least 20-25 guys in the league that if they were offered, I think you would have to jump on it, or at least carefully consider it. 

I understand you. You would do that. I would do that.  We all would do it for any of these 20 guys, but the Devils won't IMO. 

It doesn't matter, cause it isn't happening, not this offseason. 

Buy, overpay, outstanding defensemen. Forget about the offense for now in this offseason.

Cut loose Severson and Subban at all costs and buy a defense. 

1 minute ago, Brewskies said:

I understand you. You would do that. I would do that.  We all would do it for any of these 20 guys, but the Devils won't IMO. 

Buy, overpay, outstanding defensemen. Forget about the offense for now in this offseason.

I think that’s our most glaring need and that is what should be addressed first, as I mentioned above. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that’s our most glaring need and that is what should be addressed first, as I mentioned above. 

Nice conversing with you.

It is taking this and the previous Devils management so long to understand what the fans understand. It is beyond comprehension. You can't win without defense. Goalies are a part of the defense. 

10 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Cutting loose the 2 defensemen who play the most minutes when we desperately need defense doesn't make much sense unless you plan on buying 4-6 defensemen in the offseason. The Devils will be lucky to sign one top d-man this off season  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Cutting loose the 2 defensemen who play the most minutes when we desperately need defense doesn't make much sense unless you plan on buying 4-6 defensemen in the offseason. The Devils will be lucky to sign one top d-man this off season  

Have to agree with that. I would add that cap room notwithstanding, paying those two guys over $13m and just cutting them loose doesn’t seem like a great idea. PK is done after next season anyway, and makes good filler for when we fail to add major D pieces this off-season. 

I’m not a fan of Damon, I would probably be using him to try to trade for a better piece. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Have to agree with that. I would add that cap room notwithstanding, paying those two guys over $13m and just cutting them loose doesn’t seem like a great idea. PK is done after next season anyway, and makes good filler for when we fail to add major D pieces this off-season. 

I’m not a fan of Damon, I would probably be using him to try to trade for a better piece. 

Yeah Severson has moments but he also makes an absolute ton of boneheaded plays. 

PK will either be gone or re-signed at less money. His 9 million dollar days are long gone. 

But I think we as a fan base realize that whoever we sign will have some imperfections to their game and will be overpayed. We aren't going to just replace Subban and Severson 

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah Severson has moments but he also makes an absolute ton of boneheaded plays. 

PK will either be gone or re-signed at less money. His 9 million dollar days are long gone. 

But I think we as a fan base realize that whoever we sign will have some imperfections to their game and will be overpayed. We aren't going to just replace Subban and Severson 

No, I think the better idea would be to move them down and get better guys for your top pairs. Maybe not having to have Carrick, Tennyson and the like on your roster. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, I think the better idea would be to move them down and get better guys for your top pairs. Maybe not having to have Carrick, Tennyson and the like on your roster. 

Yeah the defensive depth is pretty terrible. It would really be great to see one or two of Bahl, Reilly, Okhotnuik (close enough), etc to work out next year. 

45 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Understood. My goal would be to buy 4-6 defensemen and know that it is a goal and I would probably fall short but I would try and, if short, I would adjust. I can always get defensemen that will play a lot of minutes and for sure less than $9M a year. You take risks to get better quickly. I don't agree that they can only sign one top defensemen. They have lots of money, overpay can get more than one. 

50 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Understood. My goal would be to buy 4-6 defensemen and know that it is a goal and I would probably fall short but I would try and, if short, I would adjust. I can always get defensemen that will play a lot of minutes and for sure less than $9M a year. You take risks to get better quickly. I don't agree that they can only sign one top defensemen. They have lots of money, overpay can get more than one. 

The player also has to want to come here. Even with overpaying, there's only 2 or 3 top defensemen on the market this off season before it falls off, which means we won't be the only ones willing to overpay. 

I'd rather fill the spots before unloading our top minute eaters is what I'm saying. 

48 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'd rather fill the spots before unloading our top minute eaters is what I'm saying. 

Correct, because as much as I don’t think Severson is the answer, and as much as I don’t think minute-eating is a good thing when you pair it with eating a side of goat d!ck, I’d rather be watching Severson and PK than Tennyson and Carrick. 

Upgrade first. 

Vatanen and Subban were supposed to be the big d-man signings. Putting alot of hopes on free agent signing hasn't exactly been the road to success, but I guess you have to keep trying.

Of course Ty Smith has literally come out of nowhere. I have no idea how the farm guys size up. 

And that being said, Scott Stevens wasn't really considered a HOF defensive dman till he came to NJD.

Random thoughts. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think we should focus more on filing in the wings and more importantly, a backup goalie and defense. To use a music analogy, the goalie and defense are like your rhythm section. No matter how flashy and talented your guitar player and singer are, your band will suck if your rhythm section can’t hold it down. 

A backup goalie is more important than our wings?  That's............insane.  

I am 1000% against putting any significant time, resources, or money into filling a backup goalie role on this team.  It's literally the last thing we need to focus on.  For starters, we, above basically any other team in the league, have seen that it's possible for a single goalie, to literally carry the team on his back and hoist them to 15-20 years of solid seasons and playoff contention.  Yes, those guys are hard to find, and yes, times have changed (a little), but it can still be done.  Secondly, a TON of teams have demonstrated in recent years that it's possible for one or two goalies, even "scrubs", to all of a sudden get hot, and backstop their teams to a strong playoff run; even a Cup win.  So many teams just get lucky by chance and fall ass backwards into either a good starting goalie, or even a good or decent backup goalie, that there's really no reason whatsoever to actually take away time and effort into loooking for someone to fill that role, when we could be looking to fill roles that are MUCH harder to find, and much more impactful to the team.

I mean, seriously. You're one of the smarter posters here.  You actually just used the phrase "more importantly, a backup goalie"?  What's next, it's important to fill the water boy's position too?  The stick taper?  Backup goalie is LAST on our list of to-do's.

7 hours ago, Brewskies said:

I just can't believe that the Devils who just named Nico as Captain and then he gets injured.... trading him this coming season. 

Does anyone think this is a real possibility?  Honestly? Everything is possible but 

No.  There's not a chance in hell it happens.  It would defy all logic, and be incredibly stupid, if they did.   Some people have mentioned trading Eichel for Nico and frankly, I don't even know if I'd do that straight up.  Eichel is just under a ppg player, and Nico is quite a bit less, but he's 2 years younger, with arguably less talent, and is also a better defensive forward and penalty killer.  If the Devils were offered that, I wouldn't blame them if they took the deal, or passed on it.  There are pros and cons to it, but they would need something of that nature to even consider dealing Nico somewhere.  Anything less would be franchise malpractice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

A backup goalie is more important than our wings?  That's............insane.  

I am 1000% against putting any significant time, resources, or money into filling a backup goalie role on this team.  It's literally the last thing we need to focus on.  For starters, we, above basically any other team in the league, have seen that it's possible for a single goalie, to literally carry the team on his back and hoist them to 15-20 years of solid seasons and playoff contention.  Yes, those guys are hard to find, and yes, times have changed (a little), but it can still be done.  Secondly, a TON of teams have demonstrated in recent years that it's possible for one or two goalies, even "scrubs", to all of a sudden get hot, and backstop their teams to a strong playoff run; even a Cup win.  So many teams just get lucky by chance and fall ass backwards into either a good starting goalie, or even a good or decent backup goalie, that there's really no reason whatsoever to actually take away time and effort into loooking for someone to fill that role, when we could be looking to fill roles that are MUCH harder to find, and much more impactful to the team.

I mean, seriously. You're one of the smarter posters here.  You actually just used the phrase "more importantly, a backup goalie"?  What's next, it's important to fill the water boy's position too?  The stick taper?  Backup goalie is LAST on our list of to-do's.

You really don’t know what you are talking about.

First of all, you bolded half a sentence.  I said a backup goalie AND defense, not just a backup goalie. So I didn’t use the phrase you tried to attribute to me, you cherry picked half a sentence. 

Yes, we have multiple options on wing that would have worked if we had better goaltending and defense. Bratt, Sharangovich, Kuokkanen, Zacha when he played there, Wood, etc. 

You got AHL level goaltending nearly every time Blackwood wasn’t in. That was just giving away those games. 

When you have NHL caliber forwards and an AHL backup, it should be pretty clear as to where your biggest needs are. 

If your offseason plan is to get a scrub goalie and hope for luck that he turns out better than expected, I’m glad you aren’t the GM. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You really don’t know what you are talking about.

First of all, you bolded half a sentence.  I said a backup goalie AND defense, not just a backup goalie. So I didn’t use the phrase you tried to attribute to me, you cherry picked half a sentence. 

Yes, we have multiple options on wing that would have worked if we had better goaltending and defense. Bratt, Sharangovich, Kuokkanen, Zacha when he played there, Wood, etc. 

You got AHL level goaltending nearly every time Blackwood wasn’t in. That was just giving away those games. 

When you have NHL caliber forwards and an AHL backup, it should be pretty clear as to where your biggest needs are. 

If your offseason plan is to get a scrub goalie and hope for luck that he turns out better than expected, I’m glad you aren’t the GM. 

Ok, yeah, pretend I'm taking things out of context.  Even with the "AND defense" part at the end of the sentence, you still said a backup goalie is more important than wings. lol

For the second bolded.... NHL caliber forwards?  Hmm, ok.  We watched two different teams this year then, I guess.  What I saw was, maybe, if we're lucky, some potential budding stars.  But I saw very few, if any, 'NHL caliber" stars.

If your offseason plan is to turn over every rock in hopes of finding a guy that can sure up the position of backup goalie, I'm equally glad you're not the GM.  

For the record, I kind of wish you and I could be Co-GM's of a team - I think we would have a Stanley Cup winning franchise, because with how apparently opposite our views are in constructing a team, I think the two halves together would make for a winning team :D :lol: 

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The player also has to want to come here. Even with overpaying, there's only 2 or 3 top defensemen on the market this off season before it falls off, which means we won't be the only ones willing to overpay. 

It's a goal, direction, plan......

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Ok, yeah, pretend I'm taking things out of context.  Even with the "AND defense" part at the end of the sentence, you still said a backup goalie is more important than wings. lol

For the second bolded.... NHL caliber forwards?  Hmm, ok.  We watched two different teams this year then, I guess.  What I saw was, maybe, if we're lucky, some potential budding stars.  But I saw very few, if any, 'NHL caliber" stars.

If your offseason plan is to turn over every rock in hopes of finding a guy that can sure up the position of backup goalie, I'm equally glad you're not the GM.  

I said a backup AND defense are more important. Laugh all you want. I should laugh at your incredibly sh!tty reading comprehension. 

I am not sure you watched any of the games, to be honest. It really doesn’t seem like you did.

And there’s a huge difference between saying we need to upgrade our backup goalie and defense and saying that would be the only thing you focus on. That’s just more stupid misquoting for your own purposes. Not quite sure why you only ever try that sh!t with me, but it’s really easy to point out why you’re wrong. 

• Like 1