The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Apparently Larsson and EDM are working on an extension but Barrie is likely to go to market. I don't see NJ making a pass at him because he'll prob want both dollar and term, and someone will overpay him, but I am not sure he is really worth the risk.

Even Barrie at 29/30 I’ll take for 4 years, he’ll demand more but I’d still be all for it.

Just now, Rob_Ottawa said:

No thanks to Barrie. Guy couldn't even make the maple leafs defense. Think how bad he must be. . .

I feel like he’s a guy that everyone says will be available every year for at least the last 3. If that’s the case, there has to be a reason he’s always available. 

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I said a backup AND defense are more important. Laugh all you want. I should laugh at your incredibly sh!tty reading comprehension. 

I am not sure you watched any of the games, to be honest. It really doesn’t seem like you did.

And there’s a huge difference between saying we need to upgrade our backup goalie and defense and saying that would be the only thing you focus on. That’s just more stupid misquoting for your own purposes. Not quite sure why you only ever try that sh!t with me, but it’s really easy to point out why you’re wrong. 

Don't flatter yourself thinking I have some axe to grind with you - you're one of the more regular posters on this site, half of the non-regulars have disappeared because the season's over, and you're saying some pretty stupid sh!t tonight, so those are the only reasons why I'm quoting you.  

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Even Barrie at 29/30 I’ll take for 4 years, he’ll demand more but I’d still be all for it.

Guy led the league in pts for a defensemen this season, they could certainly do worse that's for sure. He also had some pretty solid years in COL, and his one year in Toronto was a helluva lot better than some of the trash we've been rolling out over the last couple of years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Don't flatter yourself thinking I have some axe to grind with you - you're one of the more regular posters on this site, half of the non-regulars have disappeared because the season's over, and you're saying some pretty stupid sh!t tonight, so those are the only reasons why I'm quoting you.  

No, you definitely do because you try to pull this sh!t all the time, but only with me. You even made a point out of accusing me of doing it to you. I’ve said nothing stupid, you just have the reading ability of a small toddler. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, you definitely do because you try to pull this sh!t all the time, but only with me. You even made a point out of accusing me of doing it to you. I’ve said nothing stupid, you just have the reading ability of a small toddler. 

I'll put my reading comprehension up against yours any day of the week. Loser donates $50 to this site ;) 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I'll put my reading comprehension up against yours any day of the week. Loser donates $50 to this site ;) 

I won’t bet with you because 1) you already lost and 2) I don’t believe you ever fully paid off your bet from last year and I wouldn’t bet with someone who does that. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I won’t bet with you because 1) you already lost and 2) I don’t believe you ever fully paid off your bet from last year and I wouldn’t bet with someone who does that. 

1) I was being facetious, because I'm not sure how we would actually be able to do that, and 2), Not that I need to prove myself to you, but I did, and then some.

Funny, you couldn’t remember if you had when it last came up. 

On 3/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Yup it was definitely me.  I'm a man of my word and I know I paid whatever I was able to at the time, and I believe I made a couple more payments afterwards, but I have to be honest, I did forget about it after a while.  I am not sure how much in total I paid, but I just sent another $100 to DM just now for good measure. 

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Right, and I looked back on what I had paid and I made good on it.  

Even if that’s correct, making a bet like a big shot, losing, then saying you can’t afford it and you have to make payments, and then a year later not knowing if you had is shady enough that I wouldn’t bet with you regardless. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Even if that’s correct, making a bet like a big shot, losing, then saying you can’t afford it and you have to make payments, and then a year later not knowing if you had is shady enough that I wouldn’t bet with you regardless. 

Nevermind.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

13 hours ago, Brewskies said:

. My goal would be to buy 4-6 defensemen 

There are no 3-4 better D on the market than Sevs and Subbs. 4-6? For what? It’s a gamble with extra low % of win. 6? Smith isn’t NHL defenseman? If he is than you want to sign anyone for 7D position and don’t use our young defensemen Bahl/Okhotyuk/Vukoevic/even Walsh as injury replacement material? Who is this man who will agree for 7D role and he is better quality than Carrik/Tennyson?

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Arguably, center is where we need the least amount of help. We have two guys who may turn out great and enough other guys to cover 3rd and 4th line duties, even if you make Zacha a permanent wing. 

I think we should focus more on filing in the wings and more importantly, a backup goalie and defense. To use a music analogy, the goalie and defense are like your rhythm section. No matter how flashy and talented your guitar player and singer are, your band will suck if your rhythm section can’t hold it down. 

Well spoken here. Can I hire you as my speech writer?

10 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No thanks to Barrie. Guy couldn't even make the maple leafs defense. Think how bad he must be. . .

I don’t understand what you’re saying here, sorry. He played 70 games and 5 in the playoffs for the leafs. Left as a UFA to Edmonton cause Toronto couldn’t afford him.

hell even at his current price tag, I’d rather see a one legged Barrie take the ice over Matt “Blackmail” Tennyson.

(I say blackmail cause there is no reason on earth he’s an NHL player nor capable of international play, yet he’s done both now… ducking Fitz….)

EDTI: Put Colorado originally instead of Edmonton, my bad.

Edited by jagknife

21 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah Severson has moments but he also makes an absolute ton of boneheaded plays. 

PK will either be gone or re-signed at less money. His 9 million dollar days are long gone. 

But I think we as a fan base realize that whoever we sign will have some imperfections to their game and will be overpayed. We aren't going to just replace Subban and Severson 

Severson has come a long way, but he may be at his ceiling. That's not so bad. He'd look a lot better on a team with a deep blue line. Wish that were us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Severson has come a long way, but he may be at his ceiling. That's not so bad. He'd look a lot better on a team with a deep blue line. Wish that were us. 

I agree. He’s the guy that’s passable on a good roster, not a #1 defenseman like we have him. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Guadana said:

There are no 3-4 better D on the market than Sevs and Subbs. 4-6? For what? It’s a gamble with extra low % of win. 6? Smith isn’t NHL defenseman? If he is than you want to sign anyone for 7D position and don’t use our young defensemen Bahl/Okhotyuk/Vukoevic/even Walsh as injury replacement material? Who is this man who will agree for 7D role and he is better quality than Carrik/Tennyson?

It is a goal. All goals are not possible, some are. If Severson and Subban are the best defensemen then the sport is dumped.