The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

My god you’re still rambling about negotiation. I could care less about it as it had nothing to do with my point.

Of course you’re not going to have leverage when deciding to overbid - by overbidding you’re already telling the player they have the ball in negotiating. That’s an obvious downside with overbidding. The idea is you’re biting the bullet and conceding in areas to get the player.

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

I love Coleman and was super pissed off we traded him 

But...

I don't see signing a bunch of guys like that for a huge load of money is a good idea. We need to follow the Tampa plan, build through the draft and trade for last pieces when close to a cup run.

I agree, but it depends on the deal. Is $4.5-5m too much? Maybe not when you are paying half the roster under a million...

3 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

But...

I don't see signing a bunch of guys like that for a huge load of money is a good idea. We need to follow the Tampa plan, build through the draft and trade for last pieces when close to a cup run.

Not only that, but we actually have a lot of young forwards knocking on the roster door. Coleman is a nice player but I don’t know if I’d want him blocking the path of a Foote or a Mercer. Mercer btw seems like a better version of Coleman

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

But...

Coleman is a good option for an overpayment as long as the term is reasonable.  If he is willing to take say a 3-year deal where he gets a million more per from us than other teams, I think he would likely be interested and it would work out pretty well for our timeline.  The one caveat is that Coleman now has a wife and kid with another kid on the way.  I am not so sure if he is looking for a deal that short.

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Coleman is a good option for an overpayment as long as the term is reasonable.  If he is willing to take say a 3-year deal where he gets a million more per from us than other teams, I think he would likely be interested and it would work out pretty well for our timeline.  The one caveat is that Coleman now has a wife and kid with another kid on the way.  I am not so sure if he is looking for a deal that short.

Not should he be, really. He should be seeking a 5 year deal. If the AAV isn’t crazy, I’d bite. 

He was making $1.8m per. This is his big contract opportunity. He at put up middling 2nd-good 3rd line numbers at 14g-17a-31p. 

Would be 4th on goals and tied for 3nd in points on our team. 

Assume it has to be 5 years, what is your AAV you are comfortable with?

The reasons some wanted Zajac to stick around for what he could bring to the kids off the ice and in the locker room is exactly what Coleman could bring to our kids. Plus he has a cup now. He's 100% the kind of player playing the right way and leading by example that i'd want on the team

Edit: Plus! if we can get him back. Then it means we basically got Foote & Mukhamadulin for nothing!

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Coleman is the definition of the type of player where you can’t just go off goals and assists. He brings a ton more than that.

If he could get the PK back on track it would be worth it for that alone. Plus all the other stuff like Sterio just mentioned. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The reasons some wanted Zajac to stick around for what he could bring to the kids off the ice and in the locker room is exactly what Coleman could bring to our kids. Plus he has a cup now. He's 100% the kind of player playing the right way and leading by example that i'd want on the team

Edit: Plus! if we can get him back. Then it means we basically got Foote & Mukhamadulin for nothing!

Or another way to look at it:  Tampa probably needed him more than the Devils did the last two seasons (I like Coleman a hell of a lot, own three of his GWs, but had he been here, not like the Devils were winning a Cup this past season or the one before).  So we generously “lent” him to the Lightning for a nice fee.  Now it’s time to get him back.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not should he be, really. He should be seeking a 5 year deal. If the AAV isn’t crazy, I’d bite. 

He was making $1.8m per. This is his big contract opportunity. He at put up middling 2nd-good 3rd line numbers at 14g-17a-31p. 

Would be 4th on goals and tied for 3nd in points on our team. 

Assume it has to be 5 years, what is your AAV you are comfortable with?

I would be hesitant to do 5 years.  I could maybe do 4 at the most, but 5 has the probably of it being ugly the last 2-3 years a la Cammalleri (thankfully Coleman seems to be far more durable than Cammy).

But for hypothetical sake, I would say $4M-ish per would be ideal for me.  Shorter deal for say 3 years I am alright at $5M-ish per.

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Coleman is the definition of the type of player where you can’t just go off goals and assists. He brings a ton more than that.

Agree, BUT he also brings some points as well. I mean, he had 31 points in 55 games, and has a couple of 20+ goal seasons. 

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I would be hesitant to do 5 years.  I could maybe do 4 at the most, but 5 has the probably of it being ugly the last 2-3 years a la Cammalleri (thankfully Coleman seems to be far more durable than Cammy).

But for hypothetical sake, I would say $4M-ish per would be ideal for me.  Shorter deal for say 3 years I am alright at $5M-ish per.

I would be also, but he’s coming up on 30, he is going to want as much term as possible wherever he goes. If someone is offering him 5, he will not sign here for 3. 

5 years at $4m per seems like a pretty good deal, and a significant raise for him as well. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I would be also, but he’s coming up on 30, he is going to want as much term as possible wherever he goes. If someone is offering him 5, he will not sign here for 3. 

5 years at $4m per seems like a pretty good deal, and a significant raise for him as well. 

I think it's fair.  I mean he is a 35-ish point a season guy, so $4-5M a year seems to be a nice salary for that kind of production.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I think it's fair.  I mean he is a 35-ish point a season guy, so $4-5M a year seems to be a nice salary for that kind of production.

Two of those 30+ point seasons, he only played 55 and 57 games, too. So potentially that isn’t even his ceiling. 

5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol that's pretty funny.  I've always wondered how the team would have been if he re-signed.  He wasn't quite the same player as he was in Toronto.

He goes in to say how he wasn’t happy, especially since his contract woulda been through the next two Cups, and how Chicago lied and how Buffalo screwed Chicago when they traded him and JP Dumont for someone who played one more season. (I was in the middle of a run when I heard the story, details could be wrong). Felt like he had some regrets turning the deal down even though it was for less than he made.

21 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i say we go for it. your thought? id do 5x9(i am not a gm)

Yeah you’re gonna have to overpay big-time for a guy like Hamilton, but I’d be down with it. We need to actually make an impact move, and getting Dougie Hamilton would be an impact move. 

• Like 1