The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Let's say the Devils offer sheet him for $7-8M a season.  If Laine absolutely doesn't want to play in Columbus, do you think they would get any better offer than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him via trade?  I doubt it.

That isn't the point.  There is no way that CBJ doesn't match that.  Their GM (also a Finn FWIW) just traded the guy they picked after Laine for him.  Jarmo was on 31 Thoughts saying that they were targeting Laine but couldn't get him so they went with Dubois.  So that tells me that you're going to have to offer sheet him at the $11m tier. 

But to play along with your scenario, I would not be unhappy with giving that up for him.  But do you really want to give that up to force a player onto your team that refused to play in two other whatever markets?  How do you know that he doesn't pull the same sh!t here? 

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Also, yet again, why does our team highlight our rival…?

If you read the article, they aren’t doing that at all. It talks about the aftermath of beating the Rags in game 5, and the lead-up to game 6. It’s actually a good read. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

That isn't the point.  There is no way that CBJ doesn't match that.  Their GM (also a Finn FWIW) just traded the guy they picked after Laine for him.  Jarmo was on 31 Thoughts saying that they were targeting Laine but couldn't get him so they went with Dubois.  So that tells me that you're going to have to offer sheet him at the $11m tier. 

But to play along with your scenario, I would not be unhappy with giving that up for him.  But do you really want to give that up to force a player onto your team that refused to play in two other whatever markets?  How do you know that he doesn't pull the same sh!t here? 

Give him a luxury condo on the Hudson. And ferry him to his favorite restaurant in Manhattan ..... obviously he has to want to be here with the kids..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Give him a luxury condo on the Hudson. And ferry him to his favorite restaurant in Manhattan ..... obviously he has to want to be here with the kids..

Luxury condo, favorite restaurant in Manhattan, Those sound like reasons he’d want to be a Ranger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Hurricanes have signed one Eric Gelinas. 

https://www.canescountry.com/2021/6/13/22532367/carolina-hurricanes-eric-gelinas-defenseman

He’s been assigned to the pretzel stand on the main concourse at the arena. 

If they made the goals about 3 feet bigger on each side he'd have 50 every year. 

I'm not doing anything that'd take away our first round picks over the next 2 seasons for a guy like Laine.

With Shane Wright coming next season and Bedard and Mitchkov the season after. I'd personally never trade our first round pick for the next 2 years unless we get someone like... McDavid or wtv that would singlehandedly get us an extra like 15 wins. We just can't be in a position to be in the lottery for Shane Wright, Bedard or mitchkov and not have our first round pick.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not doing anything that'd take away our first round picks over the next 2 seasons for a guy like Laine.

With Shane Wright coming next season and Bedard and Mitchkov the season after. I'd personally never trade our first round pick for the next 2 years unless we get someone like... McDavid or wtv that would singlehandedly get us an extra like 15 wins. We just can't be in a position to be in the lottery for Shane Wright, Bedard or mitchkov and not have our first round pick.

Pretty providently. They can fire coach or gm or both because results sucks, but if they are, we can keep awesome player.

16 hours ago, Crisis said:

Why would the Blue Jackets match an offer for a player who doesn't want to be there, has little to no intention to be there, and pass on that sort of compensation when he will likely get less in any trade CBJ make for him?

NJ is not a sexy destination, but I am pretty sure out of the 30 other NHL franchises that Columbus and Winnipeg are 2 of maybe 4-5 locations that are less sexy than NJ.  If he pulls the same sh!t here, he would be at least under contract and we could trade him rather than the position he is in now where he is a RFA and can hold out or get offer-sheeted.

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Why would the Blue Jackets match an offer for a player who doesn't want to be there, has little to no intention to be there, and pass on that sort of compensation when he will likely get less in any trade CBJ make for him?

NJ is not a sexy destination, but I am pretty sure out of the 30 other NHL franchises that Columbus and Winnipeg are 2 of maybe 4-5 locations that are less sexy than NJ.  If he pulls the same sh!t here, he would be at least under contract and we could trade him rather than the position he is in now where he is a RFA and can hold out or get offer-sheeted.

Because maybe Columbus feels the same exact way you do where they don't want draft picks, they want roster players.  So they match and trade him for not lottery tickets. 

5 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Because maybe Columbus feels the same exact way you do where they don't want draft picks, they want roster players.  So they match and trade him for not lottery tickets. 

A team that has a player who has/is being public about his desire to not be there is already behind the 8-ball.  They have to manage their expectations regarding what the return could be, especially one that is a RFA and can sit-out for an indefinite amount of time.

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A team that has a player who has/is being public about his desire to not be there is already behind the 8-ball.  They have to manage their expectations regarding what the return could be, especially one that is a RFA and can sit-out for an indefinite amount of time.

It literally just happened to Winnipeg and they got a top line center in Dubois,

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Another move of a team that has rich owners but treat themselves as a poverty franchise.

I really don't get it. Another thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was interviewing opposing players during the 1st intermission.  I don't really give a fvck what TJ Oshie has to say as the Caps stomp us. 

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I really don't get it. Another thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was interviewing opposing players during the 1st intermission.  I don't really give a fvck what TJ Oshie has to say as the Caps stomp us. 

100%. I would rather see another disinterested Huges interview or Sharangovich understanding 1/4 of what is being said. Leave interviewing both teams to the national broadcasts. 

Edited by mfitz804

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Another move of a team that has rich owners but treat themselves as a poverty franchise.

I still think don’t see the Devils as treating themselves as a “poverty franchise”, but I’ll give you that in the near-future, if homegrown talent that is due raises (that they’ve earned and make sense to give out) and there’s unnecessary penny-pinching despite having lots o’ cap space (that leads to “quantity at the expense of quality trades), you will definitely have a point.

Basically, if Fitz and/or others aren’t bullish on spending big in UFA, fine.  But if you have to spend on your young homegrowns and they deserve it, you better pony up. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still think don’t see the Devils as treating themselves as a “poverty franchise”, but I’ll give you that in the near-future, if homegrown talent that is due raises (that they’ve earned and make sense to give out) and there’s unnecessary penny-pinching despite having lots o’ cap space (that leads to “quantity at the expense of quality trades), you will definitely have a point.

Basically, if Fitz and/or others aren’t bullish on spending big in UFA, fine.  But if you have to spend on your young homegrowns and they deserve it, you better pony up. 

I think they showed they will by giving Nico $7m.  He hasn't exactly blown the league away.  Not hating on him either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It's been done in the past too but was more rare but I believe that was done more this year because of the home team being the only ones to be broadcasting from the arena. Its why we heard other team's announcers even interviewing some of our guys in between periods during road games. 

28 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I think they showed they will by giving Nico $7m.  He hasn't exactly blown the league away.  Not hating on him either.

No I'm with you, like I said, I don't think the Devils have been cheap by design...I think Shero was gearing up towards having payroll flexibility when he would really need it, but his day never came.  Then Fitz inherited a team where trying to spend big in UFA wouldn't make much sense initially.

That being said, they had so much money to spend under the cap at the time that re-signing Nico was a no-brainer, though they were willing to commit to a lot of years.  What will be interesting to see is how far do they go for Hughes (if his numbers take a quantum leap forward).  And Smith in a couple of years.  What they've really done now is set themselves up to "weaponize cap space" on their own guys.  I do believe that they will spend on the homegrowns as needed, but I'm more saying that if fans like DM84 who think ownership is cheap aren't spending then, then they'll have a very fair point.  We're still a couple of seasons away from knowing that though.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

i personally enjoy it. I mean there's "hockey fans" and there's people who just care about their team and their players. Which is both fine but i personally love to hear more from other teams, that's how you learn more about hockey in general and not just about your own team. Which is a pretty narrow view IMO