The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i personally enjoy it. I mean there's "hockey fans" and there's people who just care about their team and their players. Which is both fine but i personally love to hear more from other teams, that's how you learn more about hockey in general and not just about your own team. Which is a pretty narrow view IMO

If you're getting all your hockey info of opposing teams from a TV broadcast, you're probably a moron

24 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I think they showed they will by giving Nico $7m.  He hasn't exactly blown the league away.  Not hating on him either.

This is a really good point that should not be overlooked. Nico was paid based on his potential. He has not "earned" a $7m AAV contract yet. 

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i personally enjoy it. I mean there's "hockey fans" and there's people who just care about their team and their players. Which is both fine but i personally love to hear more from other teams, that's how you learn more about hockey in general and not just about your own team. Which is a pretty narrow view IMO

I have never learned anything about hockey from interviews during a game. They are basically all the same, either "we had a good period, we have to keep it going next period" or "we had some chances and we didn't connect, we have to play harder next period and hopefully get a couple and go from there".

That's the 10% of teh time that I actually watch those interviews, most of the time I am on a DVR delay and I just skip them because they are so pointless. 

What have you learned about "hockey in general" from an opposing player being interviewed during our broadcast?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have never learned anything about hockey from interviews during a game. They are basically all the same, either "we had a good period, we have to keep it going next period" or "we had some chances and we didn't connect, we have to play harder next period and hopefully get a couple and go from there".

That's the 10% of teh time that I actually watch those interviews, most of the time I am on a DVR delay and I just skip them because they are so pointless. 

What have you learned about "hockey in general" from an opposing player being interviewed during our broadcast?

That they exist

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

"we have to play our game" 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Learned a few things here and there. Fair to point out that i didn't learn much about my own team in them either. I still like when there's an effort to show the bigger picture and not a channel creating yet another echo chamber. There's a reason most habs fans are this clueless about anything else in the league. On their network it's Habs 24/7 and they don't know sh!t about anything else and just buy wtv narrative they are shoved down their throats.

I also like when our broadcasters talk about the other teams before the game and between periods. You obviously want more of your team cause that's why you're watching but i still appreciate a good balance

I'm sure you can make some parallel with MSG mostly pushing Rangers content vs the rest of the league

Edited by SterioDesign

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Largely agree with this take.  Most players aren't exactly wordsmiths full of holy nuggets, especially during a rushed intermission interview...you are 100% correct, most of their quotes are pretty similar.  You really don't get THAT much from in-game interviews.  When you're a kid and the players are still larger than life, those interviews mean more to you for sure, but as I get older (and have the luxury of recording games and then skipping past commericals and intermissions) and have less luxury time, I find myself blowing past that stuff...not all of the time, but more often than not for sure.  I'd say most of the time, as far as postgame shows/interviews/snippets go, I'm tuning in to know if a rumored trade is soon to go down, and most importantly (in my eyes), if a player who appears to suffer injury during a game is going to miss a lot of time.  Sometimes if a guy like Blackwood has an insane game, I'll check out the postgame just to hear what he has to say about it.    

Most of what I've learned about other teams and their players has been through print media, the internet, occasional highlights, and simply by watching...not going to pretend that I spend loads of time watching other teams' games though.  Simply don't have that kind of free time.

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

To each their own.  I don't think wanting to hear from only your own players during your team's home broadcast correlates to having a narrow view on the whole thing.  I'm sure some like hearing from other teams, some don't.  I know, you said "both fine", but then comes the comment about "a pretty narrow view".

Me personally, I'm kinda indifferent to other team's players being interviewed by the Devils, but I can't say hearing from another team's player who just beat up on MY team fills me up with excitement, re:  the potential to "learn something more".  If there's an exception, I guess it's hearing from a player who used to play for the Devils recently, and is now playing for an opponent.  

Not knocking your view or people who share it...just not my thing...I'd just rather hear from my players (and coaches) during the local broadcast.  I'd say I care about the Devils first and foremost (duh, that's true of everyone here of course).  Then the rivals...what are the Rangers up to?  The Flyers?  Other teams in the Metro?  Then it's kinda everyone else...with added interest in players and/or teams having a surprising good or bad year, possible trade targets, etc.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Largely agree with this take.  Most players aren't exactly wordsmiths full of holy nuggets, especially during a rushed intermission interview...you are 100% correct, most of their quotes are pretty similar.  You really don't get THAT much from in-game interviews.  When you're a kid and the players are still larger than life, those interviews mean more to you for sure, but as I get older (and have the luxury of recording games and then skipping past commericals and intermissions) and have less luxury time, I find myself blowing past that stuff...not all of the time, but more often than not for sure.  I'd say most of the time, as far as postgame shows/interviews/snippets go, I'm tuning in to know if a rumored trade is soon to go down, and most importantly (in my eyes), if a player who appears to suffer injury during a game is going to miss a lot of time.  Sometimes if a guy like Blackwood has an insane game, I'll check out the postgame just to hear what he has to say about it.    

Most of what I've learned about other teams and their players has been through print media, the internet, occasional highlights, and simply by watching...not going to pretend that I spend loads of time watching other teams' games though.  Simply don't have that kind of free time.

To each their own.  I don't think wanting to hear from only your own players during your team's home broadcast correlates to having a narrow view on the whole thing.  I'm sure some like hearing from other teams, some don't.  I know, you said "both fine", but then comes the comment about "a pretty narrow view".

Me personally, I'm kinda indifferent to other team's players being interviewed by the Devils, but I can't say hearing from another team's player who just beat up on MY team fills me up with excitement, re:  the potential to "learn something more".  If there's an exception, I guess it's hearing from a player who used to play for the Devils recently, and is now playing for an opponent.  

Not knocking your view or people who share it...just not my thing...I'd just rather hear from my players (and coaches) during the local broadcast.  I'd say I care about the Devils first and foremost (duh, that's true of everyone here of course).  Then the rivals...what are the Rangers up to?  The Flyers?  Other teams in the Metro?  Then it's kinda everyone else...with added interest in players and/or teams having a surprising good or bad year, possible trade targets, etc.    

Mmmmm Not sure what's the problem you have with the term i used. What i described is technically and literally the definition of a narrower view. So not sure why anyone would have a problem with it if its they own choice to do so? I'm basically just watching hockey now. I dont watch and follow baseball, football, tennis, soccer, name it... i literally have a narrow view of the world of sports. And again, not sure how i could spin that in a way to be offended by that lol its just a fact

What is a definition of narrow?
Narrow means less wide or to make less wide. When you narrow down your choices, you decrease the number of choices. A road might be too narrow for a car. When used to describe something physical such as a street or hips, narrow simply means not wide.

Edited by SterioDesign

I don't give a fvck what the other teams are up to unless its losing to the Devils. But even still, those player interviews are not full of information, and in most instances, are repetitive from game to game. Stuff like the direction of the team, moves they may make/trade targets, etc., that NEVER comes from those interviews. Its more "Hey, you had a great period, how are you going to keep that going" or "you sucked, how are you going to turn that around", with the answer to either question generally being the same "we have to work hard, get opportunities" stuff. 

I'm not saying I don't throw the NHL Network on every once in a while to see what's going on around the league, but I check into our broadcasts for Devils content. That is the time I want 100% Devils, especially because you don't really get Devils content anywhere else, since the local media largely ignores that they (and, at times, hockey in general) exist. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Not sure what's the problem you have with the term i used. What i described is technically and literally the definition of a narrower view.

In fairness, he said both were fine and that its a narrow view in his opinion. Like they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has them and yours stinks lol. 

However, in this instance, I happen to agree its a narrow view, and that's exactly what I want out of a Devils broadcast...I want a narrow view about what's going on with the Devils. Its our broadcast, it should be about us. If I want "around teh league" news, there's places to get that. 

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Not sure what's the problem you have with the term i used. What i described is technically and literally the definition of a narrower view.

I know what narrow means...but it does sound like you're slightly knocking those who don't want to hear from other team's players during their home team broadcast as somehow being close-minded or just not open enough.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but why even bring up narrow at all?  When it comes to mentioning people having a "narrow view", you know it's never really done in a positive light.

I saw you edited a post and I agree that I don't mind hearing ABOUT the other team at times...especially if it's a team I'm not all that familiar with.  I just don't necessarily want to hear FROM them.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

However, in this instance, I happen to agree its a narrow view, and that's exactly what I want out of a Devils broadcast...I want a narrow view about what's going on with the Devils. Its our broadcast, it should be about us. If I want "around teh league" news, there's places to get that. 

Yeah this about sums it up...during a Devils game, I really want to hear from and about the Devils.  Not that I'm opposed to "around the league" news in the slightest...like you said, plenty of places to get that info, complete with highlights, stats, and inside info.  And I definitely will check some of that out here and there, when time allows.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know what narrow means...but it does sound like you're slightly knocking those who don't want to hear from other team's players during their home team broadcast as somehow being close-minded or just not open enough.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but why even bring up narrow at all?  When it comes to mentioning people having a "narrow view", you know it's never really done in a positive light.

I saw you edited a post and I agree that I don't mind hearing ABOUT the other team at times...especially if it's a team I'm not all that familiar with.  I just don't necessarily want to hear FROM them.    

well to be fair you often take what i say in a very defensive way when it is not an attack in any way lol. I literally said that "both were fine" in my post. I'm not english so god knows how what i say can come off a times but still, i literally said both were fine and what a personally preferred and appreciated a wider view of everything. I don't see what i said wrong there or suggested someone was close-minded or wtv. 

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, he said both were fine and that its a narrow view in his opinion. Like they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has them and yours stinks lol. 

ah i didnt read this until I replied myself. But you summed it up well. It is a narrower view, some people like it more and some don't. thats it

It's a different experience listening to say... TSN or a national game than listening to a specific network covering a team obviously. I personally can't stand strong biases so network covering only one team can rub me the wrong way personally at times, obviously it's not bothering me as much when it's my own team. But that's the definition of being biased lol I can't see myself saying it's fine but when i listen to another broadcast when ours is not available and whine that the other broadcast team is biased and annoying lol Imagine not being a Devils fan and listening to Dano ? lol 

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah i didnt read this until I replied myself. But you summed it up well. It is a narrower view, some people like it more and some don't. thats it

It's a different experience listening to say... TSN or a national game than listening to a specific network covering a team obviously. I personally can't stand strong biases so network covering only one team can rub me the wrong way personally at times, obviously it's not bothering me as much when it's my own team. But that's the definition of being biased lol I can't see myself saying it's fine but when i listen to another broadcast when ours is not available and whine that the other broadcast team is biased and annoying lol Imagine not being a Devils fan and listening to Dano ? lol 

Outside media focusing on one team I would be annoyed by. Our broadcast team covering only our team is kind of what I expect and its the way our broadcasts have been for years. 

I hate lsitening to the other team's broadcast, occasionally I will accidentally DVR the Rangers or Islanders broadcast of our games and that bothers me. Then its a whole game focused on crap I don't care about lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I still think don’t see the Devils as treating themselves as a “poverty franchise”, but I’ll give you that in the near-future, if homegrown talent that is due raises (that they’ve earned and make sense to give out) and there’s unnecessary penny-pinching despite having lots o’ cap space (that leads to “quantity at the expense of quality trades), you will definitely have a point.

Basically, if Fitz and/or others aren’t bullish on spending big in UFA, fine.  But if you have to spend on your young homegrowns and they deserve it, you better pony up. 

They are though, and the evidence is mounting.

The owners are not cheap in terms of building infrastructure.  They have refurbished parts of the arena, invested in social media, the park outside, etc.   However, it is becoming more apparent that they are viewing the arena as the main asset with the Devils as something to add value to said asset.

Besides Nico and I think Severson, who else is signed beyond the next 1-2 years?  The Devils have to meet a cap floor so they can't spend zero and gaining players like Subban, who is a pseudo-entertainer/IG influencer was perfect for that role.  The Devils moves have all lately been about trading away players for picks (hoping they work out), taking lower to mid-tier UFA on short-term contracts, trading picks and parts for other teams most expendable players, or trading away picks to meet some condition (Siegenthaler so we have enough D-men to protect in the expansion draft).  None of these moves have moved the needle on this team in the past 5-6 years while Colorado, a team who was dead last in the 16-17 season, are now at least contenders, a team that is 4 seasons old is in it's second final four in its short existence, and our cross-hudson rivals are seemingly turning their team around faster than ours.  So to hear the owners speak about "weaponizing" cap space, I apologize if I do not believe them.  If the saying is fool me one, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, then if you fool me four times then I am a fvcking moron.

Also, when I say poverty franchise, I am also talking about the culture.  The team have seemingly gotten way too comfortable with being cellar dwellers.  The team spends their money on things like re-doing the clubs, building statues, and putting on laser light shows as a distraction from the losing culture they have fostered in their 8 years here.  I am personally astonished how many of our fans are blinded by the nonsense the team puts out including articles about one of the worst games in Devils history like they did the other day.  They should absolutely be taken to task about it.  Why is our team doing that?  Why is our main "beat writer" a team employee?  Why has asking tough questions of the players/coaches/management been a forbidden task (Chris Ryan and Abby Mastracco have both indicated before I was blocked on twitter that asking players tough questions the fans want them to ask would lead to their credentials being taken away)?  Why do big news such as Hall's season ending injury in 18-19 or Crawford's retirement get broken by either national hockey writers or random reddit users rather than the team and/or our beat writers?  Why does the team spend more on arena amenities than on the team?  Why does the team insist on keeping assistant coaches that are horrible on the payroll?  Why can't they fix the damn bathrooms?

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The owners are not cheap in terms of building infrastructure.  They have refurbished parts of the arena, invested in social media, the park outside, etc.   However, it is becoming more apparent that they are viewing the arena as the main asset with the Devils as something to add value to said asset.

Besides Nico and I think Severson, who else is signed beyond the next 1-2 years?  The Devils have to meet a cap floor so they can't spend zero and gaining players like Subban, who is a pseudo-entertainer/IG influencer was perfect for that role.  The Devils moves have all lately been about trading away players for picks (hoping they work out), taking lower to mid-tier UFA on short-term contracts, trading picks and parts for other teams most expendable players, or trading away picks to meet some condition (Siegenthaler so we have enough D-men to protect in the expansion draft).  None of these moves have moved the needle on this team in the past 5-6 years while Colorado, a team who was dead last in the 16-17 season, are now at least contenders, a team that is 4 seasons old is in it's second final four in its short existence, and our cross-hudson rivals are seemingly turning their team around faster than ours.  So to hear the owners speak about "weaponizing" cap space, I apologize if I do not believe them.  If the saying is fool me one, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, then if you fool me four times then I am a fvcking moron.

Also, when I say poverty franchise, I am also talking about the culture.  The team have seemingly gotten way too comfortable with being cellar dwellers.  The team spends their money on things like re-doing the clubs, building statues, and putting on laser light shows as a distraction from the losing culture they have fostered in their 8 years here.  I am personally astonished how many of our fans are blinded by the nonsense the team puts out including articles about one of the worst games in Devils history like they did the other day.  They should absolutely be taken to task about it.  Why is our team doing that?  Why is our main "beat writer" a team employee?  Why has asking tough questions of the players/coaches/management been a forbidden task (Chris Ryan and Abby Mastracco have both indicated before I was blocked on twitter that asking players tough questions the fans want them to ask would lead to their credentials being taken away)?  Why do big news such as Hall's season ending injury in 18-19 or Crawford's retirement get broken by either national hockey writers or random reddit users rather than the team and/or our beat writers?  Why does the team spend more on arena amenities than on the team?  Why does the team insist on keeping assistant coaches that are horrible on the payroll?  Why can't they fix the damn bathrooms?

Even the arena upgrades are a little questionable to me. Broken bathrooms and awful food, but they spent all of that money on a park outside an arena with broken bathrooms and awful food. 

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I personally learned a lot from hearing Chris Kreiders dumb opinion between periods in the middle of those 4 straight losses to the Rangers 

It really opened up my view to the league. 

They should have someone ask questions that are low-key mocking the opponents. That I would sign up for. 

Kind of like Borat, but less in your face. 

But that's coming from me, the guy that thinks that when we do a "tribute video" for returning players, it should be a montage of video clips of them falling, making mistakes, or otherwise acting stupidly, with a snarky "thanks for the 'memories'" tagline at the end. I think this would be hysterical and even the guy who left would appreciate that humor. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They should have someone ask questions that are low-key mocking the opponents. That I would sign up for. 

Kind of like Borat, but less in your face. 

But that's coming from me, the guy that thinks that when we do a "tribute video" for returning players, it should be a montage of video clips of them falling, making mistakes, or otherwise acting stupidly, with a snarky "thanks for the 'memories'" tagline at the end. I think this would be hysterical and even the guy who left would appreciate that humor. 

Love this idea,  Would much rather see them laugh than tear up on the bench.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

As far as spending money on the team itself, who did you want them to spend it on?  We know the big-name UFAs (for now, anyway) aren't coming here.  Like I said, the Devils will absolutely have money to spend on their own young players...and if the time comes where they should and choose not to, or make a "trade him because we don't want to pay him" kind of deal that will hurt more than help, then yeah, the focus is clearly to keep the payroll down...I won't be able to defend the owners any longer.  And the Devils did have to build up a talent base...there was so little here when Shero took over...no amount of spending was going to help through the last several years...they would have been overpaying for guys who probably wouldn't have been bullish on coming here to begin with.  To Shero's credit, like we've discussed, he did try to expedite the process with creativity, instead of trying to build almost solely through the draft...he was trying.  The needle didn't move for a variety of reasons:  deals that made sense not working out, the #1 higher-priced goalie falling to pieces, etc.  I'm with you in that I don't want to hear the talk, re:  "Weaponizing cap space"...that saying means nothing to me.  I think it raises expectations and the excitement level, and if you either can't or WON'T find a way to spend that money (preferably in GOOD moves of course, not spending just to spend), all the "weaponizing" chatter does is piss off the fanbase.  If you're going to do it, just do it, without making loose promises.   

Re:  the list of questions...not going to say that I love every last thing the organization is doing.  The media should be able to ask the tough questions.  I don't get nASS being allowed to stick around...that is beyond infuriating.  And yeah, the bathrooms being in the state that they're currently in is inexcusable.  And they've been like that for YEARS now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as spending money on the team itself, who did you want them to spend it on?  We know the big-name UFAs (for now, anyway) aren't coming here.  Like I said, the Devils will absolutely have money to spend on their own young players...and if the time comes where they should and choose not to, or make a "trade him because we don't want to pay him" kind of deal that will hurt more than help, then yeah, the focus is clearly to keep the payroll down...I won't be able to defend the owners any longer.  And the Devils did have to build up a talent base...there was so little here when Shero took over...no amount of spending was going to help through the last several years...they would have been overpaying for guys who probably wouldn't have been bullish on coming here to begin with.  To Shero's credit, like we've discussed, he did try to expedite the process with creativity, instead of trying to build almost solely through the draft...he was trying.  The needle didn't move for a variety of reasons:  deals that made sense not working out, the #1 higher-priced goalie falling to pieces, etc.  I'm with you in that I don't want to hear the talk, re:  "Weaponizing cap space"...that saying means nothing to me.  I think it raises expectations and the excitement level, and if you either can't or WON'T find a way to spend that money (preferably in GOOD moves of course, not spending just to spend), all the "weaponizing" chatter does is piss off the fanbase.  If you're going to do it, just do it, without making loose promises.   

Re:  the list of questions...not going to say that I love every last thing the organization is doing.  The media should be able to ask the tough questions.  I don't get nASS being allowed to stick around...that is beyond infuriating.  And yeah, the bathrooms being in the state that they're currently in is inexcusable.  And they've been like that for YEARS now.

I am not going to beat up the team over not signing UFA because, frankly, the Devils have never been a great destination.  In the case of Laine possibly bolting for that same reason, I can imagine that living in JC is probably a better/more exciting proposition for him than living in the Peg or Columbus.  Plus the UFA we tend to sign are more for compliance mixed with low risk such as signing Simmonds for $5M for 1 season so we can be over the cap floor.  I am fully expecting to land a mid to lower tier UFA just for that purpose again as Zajac and Palms are going to be fully off the books now.

The issue is exactly the "weaponizing cap space" part.  Fitz already started with that shortly after the Devils season ended.  I am not going to be fooled over and over again by this team that talks about weaponizing cap space only to get other team's crap.  To truly make good on those promises, the Devils will have to follow through on trades where they would have to part with players that many in our  gee-willickers fanbase will cry over and I really don't think they have the guts to do it (Nico is the obvious one in my mind).  In short, I just don't believe the Devils anymore when it comes to off-season promises.

At this point I see Harris and Blitzer as more like Max and Leo from the movie/musical the Producers where they find out they can make more money from a flop than a hit.

Edited by DevsMan84

42 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not going to beat up the team over not signing UFA because, frankly, the Devils have never been a great destination.  In the case of Laine possibly bolting for that same reason, I can imagine that living in JC is probably a better/more exciting proposition for him than living in the Peg or Columbus.  Plus the UFA we tend to sign are more for compliance mixed with low risk such as signing Simmonds for $5M for 1 season so we can be over the cap floor.  I am fully expecting to land a mid to lower tier UFA just for that purpose again as Zajac and Palms are going to be fully off the books now.

The issue is exactly the "weaponizing cap space" part.  Fitz already started with that shortly after the Devils season ended.  I am not going to be fooled over and over again by this team that talks about weaponizing cap space only to get other team's crap.  To truly make good on those promises, the Devils will have to follow through on trades where they would have to part with players that many in our  gee-willickers fanbase will cry over and I really don't think they have the guts to do it (Nico is the obvious one in my mind).  In short, I just don't believe the Devils anymore when it comes to off-season promises.

At this point I see Harris and Blitzer as more like Max and Leo from the movie/musical the Producers where they find out they can make more money from a flop than a hit.

I cannot wait for Springtime For Hitler night at the Rock. 

• Haha 1