The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

7 minutes ago, Guadana said:

BTW  about trade 4th for young defenseman.
tampa has draft problems. And they are in win now mode. They dont need in 4th pick. But. If Fitz trade Smith(he is protect for the draft) and nyi pick for Sergachyov? Are you like it or not?)

I don’t like that nearly as much. I can’t get on board with trading Smith.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

tampa has draft problems. And they are in win now mode. They dont need in 4th pick. But. If Fitz trade Smith(he is protect for the draft) and nyi pick for Sergachyov? Are you like it or not?)

Yes, they are win now mode but really only Stamkos and McD are close to having their game fall off a cliff.  Point, Hedman, Vas,  kucherov, Palat all have many years left.  Tyler Johnson is a negative so if they can clear his salary while adding a potentially good defensemen at #4 on an entry level contract, I think it would be perfect for them going forward.   

I don’t really want to do something around #4 and I’m definitely not sending Smith.   We’re not 1 defenseman away so given the cap space we have, I hope we’re adding a D at #4 in the draft plus adding a high priced free agent.   

Also, serious question, how great would sergachev look if he’s not slotted behind Hedman and McDonough in the lineup?   A barely ever notice him when I watch the Lightning but maybe that’s a good thing.  

Edited by Lateralous

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

I don't like from the point of view that... we need to ADD to our d-corp, Smith seem to be at the very least a top 4 guy for our future... Sergachev is obviously better than Smith now... but that's kind of a lateral move to slightly upgrade tone player but then we still have the same hole. Plus one less draft pick. I'd trade for Sergachev for a forward though

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't like from the point of view that... we need to ADD to our d-corp, Smith seem to be at the very least a top 4 guy for our future... Sergachev is obviously better than Smith now... but that's kind of a lateral move to slightly upgrade tone player but then we still have the same hole. Plus one less draft pick. I'd trade for Sergachev for a forward though

Yeah it would make no sense, Smith is basically the only guy we have in whom I have any degree of confidence. 

• Like 1

We also have to remember that a player that has good stats on a very good team,  will drop significantly coming to ours. He won't have the supporting cast. Sergachev would be a 1-2 here. He's #4 in Tampa. He's not an offensive powerhouse, & never will be. But, we need a good shut down guy.  Friedman says a good young D, you honestly think Dallas would consider trading  Heiskenen? Colorado-Byrum? Yotes- Chychrun? Van-Hughes? what are you smoking?  Is Jake Bean worth a #4 pick? (didn't think so)  Nothing to get hung about.  

26 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

We also have to remember that a player that has good stats on a very good team,  will drop significantly coming to ours. He won't have the supporting cast. Sergachev would be a 1-2 here. He's #4 in Tampa. He's not an offensive powerhouse, & never will be. But, we need a good shut down guy.  Friedman says a good young D, you honestly think Dallas would consider trading  Heiskenen? Colorado-Byrum? Yotes- Chychrun? Van-Hughes? what are you smoking?  Is Jake Bean worth a #4 pick? (didn't think so)  Nothing to get hung about.  

Agreed, none of those guys are getting traded. I’m not entirely sure Sergachev, who we talk about every offseason and is never actually moved, is even available. 

I would trade Smith for Sergachyov right in the moment they will ask us because they try to go through draft without big lost and they will not need to protect Smith. And he is a real player. Sergachyov is bigger, better skater and better personal protector. He is experienced guy who doesn’t need better defensive defenseman as partner. I think Smith is better playmaker potentially, but we can draft playmaker on this draft. Too bad this trade never happen (bolts will never trade player like Sergachyov for Smith or 4th round pick) and I hope Smith will fix his weaknesses somehow.

Edited by Guadana

52 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I would trade Smith for Sergachyov right in the moment they will ask us because they try to go through draft without big lost and they will not need to protect Smith. And he is a real player. Sergachyov is bigger, better skater and better personal protector. He is experienced guy who doesn’t need better defensive defenseman as partner. I think Smith is better playmaker potentially, but we can draft playmaker on this draft. Too bad this trade never happen (bolts will never trade player like Sergachyov for Smith or 4th round pick) and I hope Smith will fix his weaknesses somehow.

Most players aren’t a finished product at 21 years old…

especially defensemen. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Most players aren’t a finished product at 21 years old…

especially defensemen. 

yeah I know. But after the age of 21 defensemen  rarely grow up and rarely start to skate better. And rarely start to skate faster. Especially first steps. I'm happy with Smith as a playmaker, I do really think he can produce 50-60 points. I know this give us playoff, i just dont know is it give us real shot on stanly cup. Isn't it too early to dream about the cup? I dont know what will make us closer to playoff too. Future potential playmaker or good young expirienced all around defenseman. 

Anyway I`m big critic of Smith playing and style of this kind of player. I`m little biased. I just draw conclusions based on the game of really successful teams. But this is another conversation.

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, none of those guys are getting traded. I’m not entirely sure Sergachev, who we talk about every offseason and is never actually moved, is even available. 

McDonagh, Hedman, Ruuta, Sevärd all in 30's . Sergachev/Cernak are the future,  & not going anywhere.

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

$5.125 AVV for RNH.

not like he woulda hit free agency anyway but damn that isn’t bad for a solid #2 center

Wow, he took a pay cut?  He was 6 million a year previously.  I guess if you like where you're at and you're getting the 8th year and NMC, it's worth it.  Good for him if that's the reason.        

26 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

McDonagh, Hedman, Ruuta, Sevärd all in 30's . Sergachev/Cernak are the future,  & not going anywhere.

Hedman is in his 30s already?  Jeez, I'm getting old.    

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

As was mentioned, that move wouldn’t help us long term. The difference between the two players won’t be large at the end of the day. Plus Jack would lose his bestie. Gotta keep him happy.

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

As was mentioned, that move wouldn’t help us long term. The difference between the two players won’t be large at the end of the day. Plus Jack would lose his bestie. Gotta keep him happy.

We’re already drafting his brother and trading for his other brother, what more could he want?? 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, devlman said:

It would. Sergachyov is a better defenseman and he is RFA after current deal. We will take his prime years if we will.  Thats it. Smith looks like he COULD BE better playmaker, but we can draft playmaker on this draft. Can we draft good defenseman? Better than Sergachyov? I dont know. Its only a gamble. If you are watching playoff and watched our games this season you will understand what kind of situation Serg will cover and Smith will not. Smith can grow as better puck battler, but he will never be higher. He cant be critically stronger. And I dont know how he can fix his skating problem. He absolutely better than Butcher, thanks God, but he will never be real top pair contender level defenseman. Difference between Smith and Serg is large, age difference is not. Serg was better defenseman in his first season, he started as nhler year younger than smith. He has better tools to be better defenseman. This is just reallity that never change. Anyway this is why Tampa will not trade him for Smith. It`s only my dream. Wake up, Guadana.

If Jack wants to be happy, we will give him his brother for joy and happiness. We literally dont need in Smith and L Hughes on the team at the same time. Unfortunately, so far everything is going to this. 

Edited by Guadana

57 minutes ago, MB3 said:

so this is like, your new schtick? 

No it's not.

"Is ThIs YoUr NeW sChTiCk, BrUh?"

Can't wait for your petulant, teenage meltdown schtick in every GDT during a loss this upcoming season mixed with a tough-guy histrionics to sprinkle in nicely.  Might as well not stop after over a decade, am I right?

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Is she the one who told Fitz Mukhamadullin was worth picking him approx 60 spots earlier?

Admittedly, I just buy the Hockey News preview and base everything off that but for the record they had him 37th and the ISS actually had him 21st so we weren’t the only ones with a high opinion of him 

F80DCD1F-CB70-4EAD-B45E-1DC63698E1C0.thumb.png.96495a9be787ce27debac49e24f99e4f.png