The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I didn’t realize he was 30. Doesn’t really fit the timeline. 

Yeah. He is already at the end of his prime. And the contract is too long.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

He could definitely fill a gap on defense if we can’t get anyone better, and we have several gaps to fill. Provides some veteran presence as well.

If the cost isn’t high, I would consider it rather than running an AHL caliber defenseman out there night after night. But it’s not “the move” we need. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He could definitely fill a gap on defense if we can’t get anyone better, and we have several gaps to fill. Provides some veteran presence as well.

If the cost isn’t high, I would consider it rather than running an AHL caliber defenseman out there night after night. But it’s not “the move” we need. 

That’s what I was thinking- could still be a decent pickup, but more of a bridge guy to one of the younger guys in the organization, or to the guy we draft this year. 

He has 4 more years and he is on decline. Just no. He will be untradable. And he's pretty close to it for now. He is better option than Butcher or Siegenthaller. But there are a lot of higher, stronger better and cheaper option on the market. Last season, the Devils finally added two big, capable defensive players from the market. It was perfectly clear how much we missed them. And you again suggest adding a small left defenseman packmover? No, thanks. We are literally right now trying to get rid of one in the draft of Seattle, and his contract is not so terrible. 

Shmidt is top-5 defensive "leader" of the entire league in giveaways. Remember when Subban lost the puck here and there season ago? Shmidt made it more often.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean what's our actual timeline and, timeline to what sucking slightly less?  I can't say he doesn't necessarily fit that criteria.

Edited by titans04

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

I mean what's our actual timeline and, timeline to what sucking slightly less?  I can't say he doesn't necessarily fit that criteria.

People are always talking about this “timeline” like it’s a real thing. I guess it is, until something happens, then you reset the timeline. Trade for a couple of superstars, it’s shorter. Fail to change anything and draft a couple guys who don’t pan out, it’s longer. 

I sincerely hope the “timeline” is only a fan concept. The team should be looking to better itself as much as possible as soon as possible. Not “well we won’t be ready to compete for another 5 years”. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If its as the 3rd string goalie, this is fine. If its the backup, they better keep Blackwood in a Nerf suite whenever he's not on the ice. 

Well, if we do get a decent backup, Wedge can be exposed in the expansion draft, so there’s that. He’d be pretty safe, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct. I mean, at times it wasn't even him this past season...

Wedge is an emergency goalie. That’s it. He’ll be the guy who gets called up if Blackwood or whoever his backup ends up being gets hurt. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wedge is an emergency goalie. That’s it. He’ll be the guy who gets called up if Blackwood or whoever his backup ends up being gets hurt. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Because his name also ends in "WOOD" and maybe the casual fans won't even notice...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It's a one-year, two-way deal worth $825,000.

This says nothing about who the Devils backup goalie will be this year. 

I didn't say it did. He's fine for Utica or emergency 3rd string duty. There's a decent amount of backups in the FA pool this year. 

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

Don't you put that kinda evil into Fitz' mind....

Wedge is our expansion goalie exposure.

With absolutely no chance he'll (Wedgewood) be selected. Zero! Nada. Nein!

7 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

With absolutely no chance he'll (Wedgewood) be selected. Zero! Nada. Nein!

Would you rather expose him or Mac? We need to pick one of the two (presuming Cormier isn’t eligible cause he is a pending RFA)

EDIT: my post came off like a Dick, apologies. I’m not expecting him to be the select, just saying we needed someone so we could protect mac, I think it’s a requirement to have at least 1 eligible

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Would you rather expose him or Mac? We need to pick one of the two (presuming Cormier isn’t eligible cause he is a pending RFA)

We all know Devils are not exposing Blackwood.  All I'm saying is Kraken won't be salivating over Scott Wedgewood.  It has no bearing on expansion draft. (don't look at his signing (SW) as a "strategic" move.) Don't know who they will expose. (Johnsson/Butcher/Wood/Bastian)? 

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

We all know Devils are not exposing Blackwood.  All I'm saying is Kraken won't be salivating over Scott Wedgewood.  It has no bearing on expansion draft. (don't look at his signing (SW) as a "strategic" move.) Don't know who they will expose. (Johnsson/Butcher/Wood/Bastian)? 

We are required to expose a goalie under contract, that’s all I’m saying. I’m not sure Cormier counts. You need to expose x amount of players of forward, defenders, and a goalie that meet certain criteria. I’m unfamiliar with the actual language of the rule but Wedge checks that box, according to CapFriendly and it’s simulator.

• Like 1