The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

27 minutes ago, jagknife said:

We are required to expose a goalie under contract, that’s all I’m saying. I’m not sure Cormier counts. You need to expose x amount of players of forward, defenders, and a goalie that meet certain criteria. I’m unfamiliar with the actual language of the rule but Wedge checks that box, according to CapFriendly and it’s simulator.

Didn't Wedgewood check the box regardless? He would still be technically under contract at the time of the expansion draft. I thought upcoming UFA's are still eligible since they are still on the roster

25 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Didn't Wedgewood check the box regardless? He would still be technically under contract at the time of the expansion draft. I thought upcoming UFA's are still eligible since they are still on the roster

Thats correct, I forgot that. It allows Seattle to make a pick from a team to satisfy the rules, even if they don’t actually want anyone from that team and then they just don’t sign him. 

Vegas did that with three players. 

Larsson wants to taste the market! Hope Blitzer and Harris are ready to pay checks. This is a good time. He isnt a point producer, but he is expirienced and competitive player. And he can help develope our young LD prospects. And if we will draft Clarke, there will be easier to trade Severson for something good after next season or in the second deadline. Hope  the stars will converge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Thats correct, I forgot that. It allows Seattle to make a pick from a team to satisfy the rules, even if they don’t actually want anyone from that team and then they just don’t sign him. 

Vegas did that with three players. 

This is what I’m basing my assumptions off of. Cormier would meet the criteria.

465AE996-284E-4BD1-A7A2-3EAB68A1F2FF.jpeg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Dream, pie-in-the-fvcking-sky offseason involves signing Larsson, Hamilton, Coleman and then using the Islanders late pick plus what-the-fvck-ever to trade for a legitimate top-6 winger from a team that's up against it cap-wise. I'll try to make a deal now: Nolan Foote, Graeme Clarke and the Islanders 1st round pick for Johnny Gaudreau, with a conditional unprotected 2022 NJD 1st round pick if Gaudreau re-signs.

That isn’t pie-in-the-fvcking-sky my dude….. that’s pie-in-outer-fvcking-space. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Dream, pie-in-the-fvcking-sky offseason involves signing Larsson, Hamilton, Coleman and then using the Islanders late pick plus what-the-fvck-ever to trade for a legitimate top-6 winger from a team that's up against it cap-wise. I'll try to make a deal now: Nolan Foote, Graeme Clarke and the Islanders 1st round pick for Johnny Gaudreau, with a conditional unprotected 2022 NJD 1st round pick if Gaudreau re-signs.

The Flames are backed into a corner here; they have to trade him before his July 28th NTC kicks in and it's no secret things have soured between Johnny Hockey and Calgary. It's a risk for an impending UFA, but the Devils can afford to outbid everyone, they can make it a priority to offer him a ridiculous deal, and they do all of this with the intent of showing the team "we're done fvcking re-building".

Holtz likely won't be ready yet, but if you want to believe my buddy who likens himself to an NHL scout (he isn't one), Mercer might be the surprise "I'm fvcking ready" guy next year in camp.

Zacha-Hughes-Gaudreau
Bratt-Hischier-Sharangovich
Kuokkonen-Mercer-Coleman
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Smith-Hamilton
Severson-Larsson
Subban-Siegenthaler/Bahl

Blackwood
Driedger

I mean, that's a playoff team. It's also about as likely as MFitz not responding to a thread on this forum, Brewskies posting something coherent, and DM84 and I celebrating Christmas together this year.

Would be awkward to trade Clarke if we draft his brother weeks before lol

But other than that yeah let's just do this

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Larsson wants to taste the market! Hope Blitzer and Harris are ready to pay checks. This is a good time. He isnt a point producer, but he is expirienced and competitive player. And he can help develope our young LD prospects. And if we will draft Clarke, there will be easier to trade Severson for something good after next season or in the second deadline. Hope  the stars will converge.

Could you imagine re-signing Coleman AND Larsson lol it's really like they would have been long-term rentals

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I'll try to make a deal now: Nolan Foote, Graeme Clarke and the Islanders 1st round pick for Johnny Gaudreau, with a conditional unprotected 2022 NJD 1st round pick if Gaudreau re-signs.

Whats going on with you, man? Such a bad trade. Wow how this trade is bad for us. Cmon. You are better than this. I love you, man. Are you like Gaudreau so much as local man? Huge overpayment.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

@Guadana% chance Holtz makes the team out of camp next year?

Hope he will start in AHL and play solid minutes  with good center. He did play well with JJ, he should play better but Sweden didnt have good center on WJC, he did play not so good on the third line after WJC without good center, he did play pretty well in AHL but he did play without good center and it was obvious how hard he needs in good center.

He is to raw on my taste. He has a lot to work on.

Edited by Guadana

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Could you imagine re-signing Coleman AND Larsson lol it's really like they would have been long-term rentals

I think Coleman already choosing a house in Dallas) 
If we sign both Coleman and Larsson, it will be very funny. The history of trades takes on a new plane in these conditions.

5 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Whats going on with you, man? Such a bad trade. Wow how this trade is bad for us. Cmon. You are better than this. I love you, man. Are you like Gaudreau so much as local man? Huge overpayment.

His goal scoring is pretty dried up and he is from Flyers country. We'd pay the heavy price tag to wrestle him away from CGY just to have him run to filthy the second he is a UFA. He prob has his own pictures in their PJs as a kid. No thanks. I am not saying he is on the decline but he def doesn't seem like the player he was 3-5 years ago.

• Like 2

Pass on declining, undersized wingers. I also think Nolan Foote is going to be a fvcking beast of an NHL player. Potential, size and a shot next to our small forwards make him near untouchable for me.

Edited by devlman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Pavel Zacha has all of those things at age 21, plus 2 years of NHL experience, and you wanted to trade him for a hot dog. 

I know you think youve been the only person supporting Zacha but you’re not. Half the fanbase including myself never suggested trading Zacha. 

Whether you agree Gaudreau is declining right now or not, one thing is true - by time our window is open, he will be declining, is a known zero come playoff time, and will have a contract that will be providing negative value and hindering us during said window.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

We have wildly different understandings of what “half” means. If you were a Zacha stan the whole time I rescind my comment and retroactively apply it to anyone else on this forum reading your post who also somehow has a 21-year old 22nd overall pick 4 years ago as an “untouchable prospect.” 

I get it - Nolan Foote isn’t a sexy high draft pick, but I don’t judge fit and talent just based on draft position. I think the guy can be a 70 point per season player in this league playing next to Nico or Jack. You also need one of your wingers to not be under 5’.

Edited by devlman

Dude, you can cherry pick anything from posts. I can dig thru your GDT threads and conclude you want to trade Jack, Nico and the gang for a bag of chips.  Me saying something critical of Zacha one time does not mean I ever wanted him traded.

And yes, forwards tend to decline by age 30, so Gaudreau would fall in that category by time Jack starts hitting his prime.

Edited by devlman

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

I mean, that's a playoff team. It's also about as likely as MFitz not responding to a thread on this forum, Brewskies posting something coherent, and DM84 and I celebrating Christmas together this year.

Or @MB3not offering to fellate players for their on ice performance. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

i mean if this is the hill you’re gonna die on, can you cite more specific examples of elite, top-10 right wings in the NHL being washed up by the time they hit 30? 

image.jpeg.5ea1e73fd3f4e6ddb2372fc82475cb1f.jpeg

“A study released by the University of British Columbia business school this summer found an NHL forward hits his scoring peak at 28, a defenseman at 29.“

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/nhl-players-hit-their-peak-by-29-how-wise-is-the-eight-year-contract

As I’ve mentioned, there are multiple reasons to not take Gaudreau (not just one hill as you’re putting it). There’s also plenty of studies on player peaks that a quick google search can fill you in on. Also, the word I used was declining, not ‘washed up’. Iginla, Heatley, Kovy, Kessel, Perry come to mind. Who hasn’t started declining at age 30? Maybe Jagr? 

Declining players still have value but if they’re carrying a contract reflective of their prior status then you’re not getting full value and can become prone to cap issues that could potentially limit you from adding that extra cup piece when we are ready to contend.

And I still wouldn’t take him even if he gave us a term friendly deal. He’s undersized, soft and invisible in big games. Plus the ask from Calgary would also be too steep. As I said, pass all day.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

Declining? Holy sh!t I mean I know it’s human nature to overvalue the pieces you have versus the pieces you’re trading for, but my god guys.

Johnny Hockey is 27 years old. His “bad” season this year was to the tune of 49 points in 54 games. He’s a whole *two fvcking years* removed from a 99 point campaign. Has a Devils player had that kind of production in the past twenty years? 

Nolan Foote is an okay soon to be 21-year-old prospect who’s barely had a cup of coffee in the NHL. Graeme Clarke isn’t even a top-10 prospect on our team, and the Islanders pick is 29th. 

Everyone here wants to add an elite top-6 scoring winger for Hughes but nobody wants to pay anything for him. The fact is, that package doesn’t get a top-6 winger who’s signed for more than a year. You guys say “meeeeehhh noooooooo Holtz is off the tableeeee” and expect to get fvcking Kucherov in return, but this isn’t Madden and you’ve gotta give to get. 

Maybe he does bolt to Philly in a year, but take a quick look at their capfriendly: by the time Gaudreau is even near UFA (assuming he doesn’t accept a way-over-market contract offer from NJ first), Philly will need to have re-signed: Couturier, Giroux, and Carter Hart (among others). That’s 3 of their 4 best players. 

“Weaponize cap space” means dogsh!t until you actually do it. Trading for Johnny Hockey and giving him a zillion dollars is weaponizing cap space.

This is not how good gm makin rebuild. Johnny will 28yo month ago. He is small soft player. Clark is 3rd\may be 2nd best rw prospect, Foote is our best lw prospect. And 1 round. This is to much for one season. In rebuilding team who lack of defense and where third line doesnt exist.WHen our core will be ready for even trying to compete, Johnny will be 31-32. And yo want to pay 1st round for that. This is a way to much for him. We are not even close for anything serious. He isnt defensive defender with good skating who can help in closest five years or more, he isnt 22-24 yo. This is how you break the foundation of your rebuild. If devils likes him so hard, fitz can sign him on the market. Not give calgary everything that can help now and after couple of years. We are not trying to go for the Stanley Cup next season. In the day when Johnny will go on the market after "1st rounder+1st round +1st\2nd rounder level" trade, Fitz will lose his job. But he will not. Because he will never do this trade.

And you were not only one in Zacha camp.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

i mean if this is the hill you’re gonna die on, can you cite more specific examples of elite, top-10 right wings in the NHL being washed up by the time they hit 30? 

Kyle Palmieri is dangerously close to this