The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

We'll see...but if Fitz actually manages to dump PK's cap hit (which really wouldn't affect much beyond this season anyway, as PK's contract would've been up), yeah, Fitz is going to have an (even more) insane amount of money to work with.

I'm guessing he'll try to get Jack extended to something long-term before the 2021-22 season starts, or least start talks.  Then plenty left for Smith (possibly as soon as next offseason) and other homegrowns.

But if there's a team that can afford a couple of significant UFA overpayments, it's this one.   

27 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have to say it is encouraging to see Fitz may actually be big game hunting rather than going after scraps.

Fitz said the other day in his media availability after the Graves trade that he wants to ‘start playing meaningful games’ this season. I was very encouraged by that quote.

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We've done this with Savard's salary but it's very very possible that Fitz is looking to take on a player's cap in exchange of a pick or something

Given that the Devils don't have a second-rounder in this draft (went in the deal for Graves), guess I could see Fitz trying to snag that plus something else.  Hope something a lot more exciting than that is coming though.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Given that the Devils don't have a second-rounder in this draft (went in the deal for Graves), guess I could see Fitz trying to snag that plus something else.  Hope something a lot more exciting than that is coming though.

what i'm thinking and i sure hope Fitz is a good seller but that he could "sell" his vision to multiple free agents.

Like if you're hamilton and look at our current D... it's not that exciting to join that.. cause you're always looking at who your potential partner will be right. But say we can throw the bank at Larsson and hamilton, and we just got graves... well our top 4 is a lot more enticing/inviting than... Subban, Smith, Severson and Sieghentaler

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

what i'm thinking and i sure hope Fitz is a good seller but that he could "sell" his vision to multiple free agents.

Like if you're hamilton and look at our current D... it's not that exciting to join that.. cause you're always looking at who your potential partner will be right. But say we can throw the bank at Larsson and hamilton, and we just got graves... well our top 4 is a lot more enticing/inviting than... Subban, Smith, Severson and Sieghentaler

My ideal UFA signings would be Hamilton, Larsson, and Coleman.  Yeah, all three of them.  None are old and all should help.  Suddenly the D is a bit less scary too...and I liked what I saw from Bahl last year.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My ideal UFA signings would be Hamilton, Larsson, and Coleman.  Yeah, all three of them.  None are old and all should help.  Suddenly the D is a bit less scary too...and I liked what I saw from Bahl last year.

yeah i have the same list. If we can pull that off. And it's encouraging to know that we're at least in a position to make that happen. 

But i'm pretty confident that Coleman will go to Dallas

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

How about Seattle takes Price, and we send Subban back to Montreal, and we receive literally anything?

I'd rather see Seattle pick Subban AND Price. So they are both away from the canadian / Quebec medias so i can finally enjoy hockey news a bit more

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i have the same list. If we can pull that off. And it's encouraging to know that we're at least in a position to make that happen. 

They're cap's a bit tight (and they're a little top-heavy), but as we know, it seems like these teams always find a way around everything:

Dallas Stars Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yeah, the guess here is if they want Coleman, they'll fit him in.

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They're cap's a bit tight (and they're a little top-heavy), but as we know, it seems like these teams always find a way around everything:

Dallas Stars Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yeah, the guess here is if they want Coleman, they'll fit him in.

I don't often suggest that guys sign somewhere just for the money, but I think that is exactly what Blake should do. He's coming off two consecutive Stanley Cups and arguably his value has never been higher. He should not be worried about going to Dallas, he should be doing it the old fashioned way, whoever is giving the most dollars and the most term. 

It's easy to forget, but Blake is almost 30. He should max out this deal, because I am not sure what a 36 year old Blake Coleman is going to play like or whether there will be another big deal. The time is now for him, I think. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't often suggest that guys sign somewhere just for the money, but I think that is exactly what Blake should do. He's coming off two consecutive Stanley Cups and arguably his value has never been higher. He should not be worried about going to Dallas, he should be doing it the old fashioned way, whoever is giving the most dollars and the most term. 

It's easy to forget, but Blake is almost 30. He should max out this deal, because I am not sure what a 36 year old Blake Coleman is going to play like or whether there will be another big deal. The time is now for him, I think. 

For us let's hope that's where his head is at. And that his wife agrees with that too

54 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Coleman should go where he can get every last dime. He’s got two Cups- now it’s time to cash in. This is his payday. There isn’t another one coming after this. We can make that happen a lot easier than Dallas. If Coleman leaves money on the table to ‘go home’, than it’ll tell me he doesn’t really care much about money (which would be refreshing, but not so much, because I want him to take our money lol).

54 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'd rather see Seattle pick Subban AND Price. So they are both away from the canadian / Quebec medias so i can finally enjoy hockey news a bit more

Until the next lightning rod…. Which they’ll find and designate immediately lol.

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Basically what I said lol.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Coleman should go where he can get every last dime. He’s got two Cups- now it’s time to cash in. This is his payday. There isn’t another one coming after this. We can make that happen a lot easier than Dallas. If Coleman leaves money on the table to ‘go home’, than it’ll tell me he doesn’t really care much about money (which would be refreshing, but not so much, because I want him to take our money lol).

Yeah, agree with both of you

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I honestly think Coleman should sign with the highest bidder. I don’t often say “oh, team doesn’t matter, take the cash” but that is exactly what Blake should do. He just won two stanley cups. Highest bidder gets his services. 

Don’t forget that while he’s “young” in terms of NHL experience, he’s almost thirty. Cash in on your last contract. I think the time for him is now. 

That's quite an interesting and unique take. I can't say that i disagree.

Curious to see what other people in here might think about it

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I honestly think Coleman should sign with the highest bidder. I don’t often say “oh, team doesn’t matter, take the cash” but that is exactly what Blake should do. He just won two stanley cups. Highest bidder gets his services. 

Don’t forget that while he’s “young” in terms of NHL experience, he’s almost thirty. Cash in on your last contract. I think the time for him is now. 

I don’t disagree, I just think that he should take the most amount of money he can now, because he already has two cups and he is almost thirty. It is probably his last big contract, so he should go for the money now. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

That's quite an interesting and unique take. I can't say that i disagree.

Curious to see what other people in here might think about it

I'll offer my 2 cents, which I think is going to be refreshing and I may be alone in my thoughts here, but personally I think Coleman should squeeze out every penny he can from his next deal.  Guy has accomplished what he needs to, and being that he's approaching age 30, now is probably the best (and perhaps last) time for him to cash in on a sizeable and long-term deal.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t disagree, I just think that he should take the most amount of money he can now, because he already has two cups and he is almost thirty. It is probably his last big contract, so he should go for the money now. 

The question is.. say you were Coleman, already have 2 cups and that you'd be almost 30. Would you pick the highest bidder or you'd sign somewhere based on location or chance to win? Also considering it might be your last big contract

Edited by SterioDesign

This is an absolute no-brainer for Coleman. Take the highest offer. His kids are super young, and he has the rest of his life to live back in Texas once he retires. With 2 Cups already make that money while you can. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This is an absolute no-brainer for Coleman. Take the highest offer. His kids are super young, and he has the rest of his life to live back in Texas once he retires. With 2 Cups already make that money while you can. 

What a stupid take. 

• Haha 1