The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

54 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

When can we sign Landeskog and Hamilton?

Starting to get that oh-so-familiar sinking feeling again.  The one that comes around every July 1st when we don't really.. do anything.

I look forward to arguing with some of you about how "signing a veteran doesn't match the timeline", as per the annual tradition.

49 minutes ago, devlman said:

Take it with a pinch of salt because there’s bias involved but there was a recent article with Tarasenko’s latest surgeon who said his shoulder is better than ever now. If healthy, Tarasenko is going to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

He should keep that chip on the good shoulder just in case. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Starting to get that oh-so-familiar sinking feeling again.  The one that comes around every July 1st when we don't really.. do anything.

I look forward to arguing with some of you about how "signing a veteran doesn't match the timeline", as per the annual tradition.

There's a huge different with "not doing anything" and "not able to do anything worth doing" on free agency.

I also look forward having to argue with some of you about how "players actually have to want to come here for us to do anything" offering a contract is literally all we can do

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I think Fitz will try...I do think he'll make Hamilton a big offer (nothing to base this on, just a hunch).  I think he'll pull off a mid-tier signing or two.  

But I think the biggest signing will be Hughes to a long-term deal (think 6+ years)...I think the Devils are in a position to make him a better offer than he's earned to date, but for enough money to make it hard for him to turn down.  New deals for Sharangovich (3 years) and Kuokkanen (2 years).  Maybe 2-3 years for Murray, and a deal for a backup goalie that doesn't decide to retire.  So basically a couple of genuine efforts to sign a higher-tier UFA that don't lead to anything, then a couple of mid-tier moves plus the signings I listed.  I think that's the offseason for the Devils.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Fitz will try...I do think he'll make Hamilton a big offer (nothing to base this on, just a hunch).  I think he'll pull off a mid-tier signing or two.  

But I think the biggest signing will be Hughes to a long-term deal (think 6+ years)...I think the Devils are in a position to make him a better offer than he's earned to date, but for enough money to make it hard for him to turn down.  New deals for Sharangovich (3 years) and Kuokkanen (2 years).  Maybe 2-3 years for Murray, and a deal for a backup goalie that doesn't decide to retire.  So basically a couple of genuine efforts to sign a higher-tier UFA that don't lead to anything, then a couple of mid-tier moves plus the signings I listed.  I think that's the offseason for the Devils.  

I have to pull up capfriendly - but does that get us to the floor?

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I have to pull up capfriendly - but does that get us to the floor?

Not sure...right now they have about $49 million allocated towards next season (includes Bastian's money coming off).  Any extension Jack signs won't kick in until next season.  I'm guessing that Sharangovich and Kuokkanen combine for about $5-5.5 million?  If they're looking to sign a solid backup (nothing against Wedge, but to me he's a #3) and keep Murray and go shopping in the mid-tier aisle, looks like they should get there.  

If devils will pick sugar puppy Luke Hughes after that... I don`t know what to say. It`s a gusgusting management. I`m to emotional, but devils lose every good young role player in one year. 
This is not how you build winning team.

Soft teams don't win. They are losing.

24 minutes ago, Guadana said:

If devils will pick sugar puppy Luke Hughes after that... I don`t know what to say. It`s a gusgusting management. I`m to emotional, but devils lose every good young role player in one year. 

Well I’m glad we already have a nickname for him if we do draft him…

Is this over Bastian? I mean I get that he wasn't the best guy we could have lost to SEA but it isn't like he isn't like he would be hard to replace either.

Well one thing is for sure…. If we draft Luke, he has a nickname in place already 🤣

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Is this over Bastian? I mean I get that he wasn't the best guy we could have lost to SEA but it isn't like he isn't like he would be hard to replace either.

I`m talk about losing three best... hm. three strongest prospects for bottom-6. I`m understand every trade in vacuum, i`m understand Bastian losing in draft - if Seattle wants him, may be Fitz cant do anything with it. But when your team soft, when you have problems on the right side and you trade Anderson - gritty player with good potential for bottom-six role, than you trade Maltsev - one on one hound, who is great in puck battles, and than losing Bastian - part of good bottom-six chemistry, player who is great forecheker. I dont like it. Its ruin our bottom building. Johnsson was a temporary player, Graves may be a temporary player(no matter how I like Maltsev, I think the trade was reasonable), and Bastian was lost. All this can be understood separately, but the whole picture is unpleasant for the team under construction. You can't waste assets on temporary players when your team is being built. Shero made reasonable steps, understandable trades, but in total it was the wrong tactic for a franchise being built from scratch.

I'm not saying that Fitz should be fired immediately. But if we are going to weigh decisions at some point, I am absolutely not happy with the negative trend of careless handling of assets. Last offseason, the Devils could have signed a forward from the market to a contract similar to Jonsson. And now we would have lost Bastian, but we would have had Anderson on the right wing.

12 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I`m talk about losing three best... hm. three strongest prospects for bottom-6. I`m understand every trade in vacuum, i`m understand Bastian losing in draft - if Seattle wants him, may be Fitz cant do anything with it. But when your team soft, when you have problems on the right side and you trade Anderson - gritty player with good potential for bottom-six role, than you trade Maltsev - one on one hound, who is great in puck battles, and than losing Bastian - part of good bottom-six chemistry, player who is great forecheker. I dont like it. Its ruin our bottom building. Johnsson was a temporary player, Graves may be a temporary player(no matter how I like Maltsev, I think the trade was reasonable), and Bastian was lost. All this can be understood separately, but the whole picture is unpleasant for the team under construction. You can't waste assets on temporary players when your team is being built. Shero made reasonable steps, understandable trades, but in total it was the wrong tactic for a franchise being built from scratch.

I'm not saying that Fitz should be fired immediately. But if we are going to weigh decisions at some point, I am absolutely not happy with the negative trend of careless handling of assets. Last offseason, the Devils could have signed a forward from the market to a contract similar to Jonsson. And now we would have lost Bastian, but we would have had Anderson on the right wing.

Except most of those moves you didn't like are quite easily fixed cause replacacing these players through trades or free agency wouldn't cost much. There's a lot of those guys out there

When you're building a team from scratch basically you gotta build your core and main position first. Then you fill the rest of your roster with those players. Having too many of those but no core players is not much better, thats basically what we had not long ago

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Except most of those moves you didn't like are quite easily fixed cause replacacing these players through trades or free agency wouldn't cost much. There's a lot of those guys out there

When you're building a team from scratch basically you gotta build your core and main position first. Then you fill the rest of your roster with those players. Having too many of those but no core players is not much better, thats basically what we had not long ago

Yeah bottom six guys are a dime a dozen. There are tons of Nate Bastian’s out there. I like the kid, and I’m disappointed he’s the one Seattle chose because I would’ve ideally liked to have kept him, but I’m not gonna pretend like we can’t find another Nate Bastian.

Edited by MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah bottom six guys are a dime a dozen. There are tons of Nate Bastian’s out there. I like the kid, and I’m disappointed he’s the one Seattle chose because I would’ve ideally liked to have kept him, but I’m not gonna pretend like we can’t find another Nate Bastian.

Especially if we can sign Coleman. With Coleman it was making either Bastian or Johnson expandable on the right side to some extent already so. 

I'm just bummed cause McLeod and him were special together and were super buddies, to play together in the NHL was something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Especially if we can sign Coleman. With Coleman it was making either Bastian or Johnson expandable on the right side to some extent already so. 

I'm just bummed cause McLeod and him were special together and were super buddies, to play together in the NHL was something.

That’s the only reason to be upset, which is more for them personally than for us. Guys like that are a dime a dozen and I’m not going to pretend we can’t find another guy like Bastian. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

There's plenty of Kurtis Gabriel's and Bobby Farnham's available, those guys we have no issues finding and signing. We'll be just fine there. True plugs.

Better days ahead I'm sure.

Yeah our real difficulty is finding the Gabriel Landeskogs and Dougie Hamiltons. However, we are the kings of finding the guys on the downhill

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I've heard a lot about it, but I haven't seen it. Good role players build money. It is cheaper to grow them yourself. And not to give it away for free. In exchange for temporary players, and not for future parts of the regular squad. Time after time all your really potential good role players for temporary players.

Easily replaceable parts are a false narrative that they tell you on Twitter, only for some reason some big teams lack these very good role players. Year after year. And those who have some are on the top. Good roleplayers are just as infrequent as good producers.

A. What I'm trying to do.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1