The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I've heard a lot about it, but I haven't seen it. Good role players build money. It is cheaper to grow them yourself. And not to give it away for free. In exchange for temporary players, and not for future parts of the regular squad. Time after time all your really potential good role players for temporary players.

Easily replaceable parts are a false narrative that they tell you on Twitter, only for some reason some big teams lack these very good role players.

A. What I'm trying to do.

Well i'm just not sure what you were expecting? We exposed Subban, johnsson and other guys. If we didn't expose Bastian it would have been McLeod, is that better?

Then we traded maltsev for Graves which is something we really needed to do.

IMO we covered our biggest need and kept our core players while trying to fix holes in our lineup with expandable parts. You gotta give to get. Not fun to see them go but again, i'm not really sure how to do it differently. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i'm just not sure what you were expecting? We exposed Subban, johnsson and other guys. If we didn't expose Bastian it would have been McLeod, is that better?

Then we traded maltsev for Graves which is something we really needed to do.

IMO we covered our biggest need and kept our core players while trying to fix holes in our lineup with expandable parts. You gotta give to get. Not fun to see them go but again, i'm not really sure how to do it differently. 

You don`t understand a message. You're trying to take parts out of context. Reread it and understand the general meaning.

4 minutes ago, Guadana said:

You don`t understand a message. You're trying to take parts out of context. Reread it and understand the general meaning.

I'm not sure what you think i don't understand. 

I understand you're upset losing a few RW, cause we're lacking players at that position. You're upset we lost some grit. You say it's cheaper to grow these type of role players from within through the draft.

This is all true. But understanding why we lost them is kind of important

You project that we lost those guys for temporary players. Graves an Johnsson are young guys. They both came here to fix a big problem we had, defense and scoring was a bigger need than grit at the moment. I don't think they came here just to patch a hole, both have potential and could be here for awhile. 

And again, it's harder to find a scorer than a player playing with grit. So we traded Anderson for Johnsson, that made sense technically. We can easily replace Anderson. Then we traded Maltsev for Graves, we're not even sure Maltsev was going to crack the lineup anytime soon. Graves WILL be in the lineup opening night and should be there for awhile if everything works.

Also what i for sure didn't understand is what you meant by "one on one hound" 

I will not repeat myself, Sterio. If you don`t understand, you just dont understand. 
I just hope that we will be lucky, and many of the players will be able to reach the NHL level. In this situation, we must rely on luck.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guadana- I get it bud. I didn’t want to lose Bastian either. But what was the alternative? Lose McLeod? There were no good options lol

Yeah that's my point. Not sure why he's so stiff about this. If we expose McLeod it's not any better, we had to expose one of the 2.

Then we traded Anderson for Johnsson. Anderson may never really make an impact in the NHL while Johnsson was already doing pretty good, plus we needed scoring more than energy guys. So that one may not work out in the end, but we can easily understand the move.

Maltsev had good hands and all and played the right side but again, we don't know if he was going to be an NHL or just one of those fringe player we had so many of already through the years. And we got Graves for him. It's a no brainer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guadana- I get it bud. I didn’t want to lose Bastian either. But what was the alternative? Lose McLeod? There were no good options lol

That wasn`t about lose Mcleod or Janne. I`m not excited about losing Bastian but i`m ok with it, because this is what is goin on on expenasion draft. It`s about trade Anderson for temporary, than trade Maltsev for temporary. than losing Bastian for nothing. All together. Fitz knows that he will lose Bastian for nothing. He must try to make a deal with Faaken-Kraken or trade Boqvist instead of Maltsev. If Fitz can`t find a deal with Faaken-Kraken - don`t trade Maltsev. If Avs wants only Maltsev - spend money on Murray or on the market. 
For me it is the same as losing UFA every year like Lou did. A negative trend that will negatively affect the development of the franchise. 

I don't see a critical difference between losing all the potential good roleplayers at once who are able to play in the NHL, all the potential homestand defensemen at once who are able to play in the NHL, or all the snipers at once who are able to play in the NHL. A good role player is also a rarity. And there are not many of them on the market, and they also have to pay more.

Once again, I understand that we had no other option under the circumstances and lose Bastian, but the trend\sequence of steps is negative.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Throwback to when people were saying Blake Coleman was just a role guy, was easily replicable, and we should trade him to the Flames for TJ Brodie.

Yap. I dont think Bastian will play exactly like Coleman, but I think Devils  should have been more careful about good young role-players.

34 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Yap. I dont think Bastian will play exactly like Coleman, but I think Devils  should have been more careful about good young role-players.

Cmon.  I don't like Johnsson based on what I've seen of him to date, but he was an NHLer who was available for a guy who played all of one game last season...and there was just enough there with Johnsson that I can understand why the Devils took a shot there.  And we have no idea WHAT kind of player Anderson is going to be.

Maltsev was dealt for a need.  Devils need defensemen...we all know it.

Re:  Bastian, I would've liked to have seen him stay, but it is what it is.  Who were you willing to expose in his place?

We also don't know if Anderson, Maltsev, and Bastian are "good young role-players" yet.  Coleman was far more accomplished than any of them when he was dealt...a reason why the Lightning were essentially willing to deal two first-round picks for him.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cmon.  I don't like Johnsson based on what I've seen of him to date, but he was an NHLer who was available for a guy who played all of one game last season...and there was just enough there with Johnsson that I can understand why the Devils took a shot there.  And we have no idea WHAT kind of player Anderson is going to be.

Maltsev was dealt for a need.  Devils need defensemen...we all know it.

Re:  Bastian, I would've liked to have seen him stay, but it is what it is.  Who were you willing to expose in his place?

We also don't know if Anderson, Maltsev, and Bastian are "good young role-players" yet.  Coleman was far more accomplished than any of them when he was dealt...a reason why the Lightning were essentially willing to deal two first-round picks for him.  

Seriously? Is this a language problem or something? Separately - normal trades\moves. Together - a mistake of management and planning.

13 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Seriously? Is this a language problem or something? Separately - normal trades\moves. Together - a mistake of management and planning.

Where is the mistake?  I just explained how two of the moves were not mistakes that made sense (even if neither one works out, which sadly that looks like the direction the Johnsson deal is headed, though it's not like Anderson has done much).  Re:  Bastian...again, who did you want to see exposed instead?  

It feels like you're really reaching to find some negative trend.  I'm just not seeing dealing Anderson and Maltsev and losing Bastian as an expansion draftee as some indictment on the front office.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Where is the mistake?  I just explained how two of the moves were not mistakes that made sense (even if neither one works out, which sadly that looks like the direction the Johnsson deal is headed, though it's not like Anderson has done much).  Re:  Bastian...again, who did you want to see exposed instead?  

It feels like you're really reaching to find some negative trend.  I'm just not seeing dealing Anderson and Maltsev and losing Bastian as an expansion draftee as some indictment on the front office.    

I explained the same thing which seems pretty fair and basic.

He's then just claiming we don't understand and he won't explain again.

I really don't know exactly what he expected there. Thing is he's projecting that Graves and Johnsson we're "temporary" players. Which i'm sure wasn't the goal at all getting them.

The rumour about us trading Boqvist for Tarasenko. Now that's trading a prospect for a temporary player. But Graves and Johnsson? i really don't think so

Edited by SterioDesign

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I explained the same thing which seems pretty fair and basic.

He's then just claiming we don't understand and he won't explain again.

I really don't know exactly what he expected there. Thing is he's projecting that Graves and Johnsson we're "temporary" players. Which i'm sure wasn't the goal at all getting them.

The rumour about us trading Boqvist for Tarasenko. Now that's trading a prospect for a temporary player. But Graves and Johnsson? i really don't think so

Agree in that the goal with Graves and Johnsson was to get two players who could hopefully become part of the core.  Not looking good with Johnsson for far, but with that 33 points in 38 GP stretch he enjoyed with the Leafs, I get why Fitz took a shot there (especially given the price...and it's not like the Devils can hang onto EVERY young forward in the system.  The fact is that Anderson and Maltsev were never going to rank that high on the depth chart here, especially as the "next wave" of youth (Holtz, Mercer, etc) make their way onto the big club.  We'll see with Graves, but another deal that made complete sense. 

But yeah, there was nothing "temporary" about either guy...unfortunately, as we saw with Shero and have now seen with Fitz, these kind of deals just seem to have a way of not working out for the Devils...I'm not talking about the player or assets that go the other way turning into anything, but the end results from the players who come here.  I have my fingers crossed incredibly hard that Graves is the beginning of the end of that trend.  

So since the other thread is being dominated (rightfully so) by today's offseason action, I figured I'd come here to post this (and fvcking brag):

With the embarrassment that Chicago is, and the other conversations we've had on this board about people feeling empowered to come forward to report things, I could not be any more proud of a group of individuals who essentially work under me. Something happened, they reported it to me, within an hour  it was being handled by my bosses.

I told them I was beyond proud they had the confidence in both myself and those above me to take care of the problem while also protecting them and that it showed their trust.

God felt freaking good.

• Like 6

I mean, not that i still think that we're a shoe in for Hamilton. Yesterday helped us a lot in that regard. Philly, Chicago, Vancouver took themselves out of the race. Ive read GMs saying they hear a lot of players not wanting to go to canada because of the taxes, social media and covid restrictions. So that's helping too.With the moves Carolina made yesterday, not sure he'd want to go back there either. Seattle... they drafted so poorly i feel, they barely have an NHL roster at the moment, not that attractive for a top free agent

There's only so many teams who could actually sign him or need him so id say there's a slim chance

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

I mean, Hamilton is sort of known as a more reserved person, right?  One that perhaps wouldn't appreciate an obnoxious media market.

We have money, we have an up-and-coming team, we have a smaller media following... worst sort of grilling he'll ever get are softball questions from Amanda.

Makes a lot of sense to me.  Trying to not get my hopes up.

Edited by Devilsfan118