The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

So we're getting to a point where in 2 years... we should look like this. So we're reaching the point where we have an actual full NHL roster and it's up to players to lose their spots. Only a few spots that i feel we should target

This year i'd really target Hamilton (obviously), Danault for our 3rd line center position and Coleman for the RW.

Holtz - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha - Hischier - ???

Wood - ??? - Bratt

Foote - McLeod - Johnsson

Smith - ???

Graves - Severson

Hughes - Siegenthaler

Blackwood

???

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we're getting to a point where in 2 years... we should look like this. So we're reaching the point where we have an actual full NHL roster and it's up to players to lose their spots. Only a few spots that i feel we should target

This year i'd really target Hamilton (obviously), Danault for our 3rd line center position and Coleman for the RW.

Holtz - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha - Hischier - ???

Wood - ??? - Bratt

Foote - McLeod - Johnsson

Smith - ???

Graves - Severson

Hughes - Siegenthaler

Blackwood

???

I understand the idea behind not signing players top players until you're ready to challenge, but we also have to encourage a winning culture, and we need experienced, quality players to help with the growth of the young 'uns. IMO Fitz not only has to sign someone like Hamilton but has to sign one or two decent forwards as well. It'll be another wasted season if he doesn't.

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

I understand the idea behind not signing players top players until you're ready to challenge, but we also have to encourage a winning culture, and we need experienced, quality players to help with the growth of the young 'uns. IMO Fitz not only has to sign someone like Hamilton but has to sign one or two decent forwards as well. It'll be another wasted season if he doesn't.

The whole winning culture thing is mostly something fans are projecting more than anything cause THEY want the team to win.

Every interviews i heard from coaches, Fitz or the players. They are all on the same page knowing it's a process and that they are growing together. They are fighting until the last second and not giving up. Also showed good progress. There's no "losing culture" or anything like that. Those kids want to win but understand it's a process.

And obviously Fitz is going to offer a contract to Hamilton. But to set expectation that he HAS to sign him or its a wasted season is kind of a toxic mentality and a terrible way to see it. The team IS progressing, it's certainly not wasted, you HAVE to go through that. Plus It's totally outside of Fitz control if Hamilton want to sign here or not. So to fault him for players not wanting to be here is a bit silly.

We're a lot closer than it appears. Remember we lost SO many of our games by 1 goal. Mostly all tight games and basically our whole group should take a step forward and be a little better next year, just that natural progression will help a lot. Having Graves will also help our D a lot. 

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The whole winning culture thing is mostly something fans are projecting more than anything cause THEY want the team to win.

Every interviews i heard from coaches, Fitz or the players. They are all on the same page knowing it's a process and that they are growing together. They are fighting until the last second and not giving up. Also showed good progress. There's no "losing culture" or anything like that. Those kids want to win but understand it's a process.

And obviously Fitz is going to offer a contract to Hamilton. But to set expectation that he HAS to sign him or its a wasted season is kind of a toxic mentality and a terrible way to see it. The team IS progressing, it's certainly not wasted, you HAVE to go through that. Plus It's totally outside of Fitz control if Hamilton want to sign here or not. So to fault him for players not wanting to be here is a bit silly.

We're a lot closer than it appears. Remember we lost SO many of our games by 1 goal. Mostly all tight games and basically our whole group should take a step forward and be a little better next year, just that natural progression will help a lot. Having Graves will also help our D a lot. 

Maybe "winning culture" was a bit of a clumsy phrase. What I mean by that is that the team needs to start winning more games. No, I'm not saying there is a losing culture because I don't think there is, but players (both the ones we have and the ones we want to attract to the club) need to see progress, that the team is moving in the right direction. That is ultimately measured by how successful the team is on the ice. Likewise, I never blamed Fitz for players choosing to sign in NJ or not. But do I think we'll be largely treading water if we don't make a couple of significant additions?  Yes. That is in no way a toxic mentality, and neither is it an unreasonable expectation. I'm under no illusions about winning the cup anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Maybe "winning culture" was a bit of a clumsy phrase. What I mean by that is that the team needs to start winning more games. No, I'm not saying there is a losing culture because I don't think there is, but players (both the ones we have and the ones we want to attract to the club) need to see progress, that the team is moving in the right direction. That is ultimately measured by how successful the team is on the ice. Likewise, I never blamed Fitz for players choosing to sign in NJ or not. But do I think we'll be largely treading water if we don't make a couple of significant additions?  Yes. That is in no way a toxic mentality, and neither is it an unreasonable expectation. I'm under no illusions about winning the cup anytime soon.

Well i didnt really target you directly either but there's been a lot of talks on here about losing culture and as if the team was okay with losing etc.

I mean it's really hard to look at this year and not realize that we're better than where we ended up. We were missing our captain for basically the whole season, which means other players have bigger roles they are not ready to fill. We got covid and missed a lot of time. We're a super young team not even used to the NHL and we barely had practices between games. Etc etc plus we were always competitive and close in games. We had 3 rookies, 3. in the top rookies. All those guys will obviously get better. Johnsson may even get his sh!t together and contribute. I think just as is if we went into the season with this exact roster that we'd obviously do better, assuming there's no big injuries or wtv of course.

Edited by SterioDesign

We’re told that there might be mutual interest between the Devils and Hamilton

https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/devils-pursuing-dougie-hamilton-with-unique-free-agency-pitch/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

thsrtjhjtsj.thumb.jpg.ca40ac2e70ad1e4b837c45ad9216f3ac.jpg

Just now, Crisis said:

I didn't say it didn't exist. I said it was not a problem in NJ right now

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This is Fitz SELLING NJ, which is exactly what I said he needed to do! Well done Fitz! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is Fitz SELLING NJ, which is exactly what I said he needed to do! Well done Fitz! 

Easy there friend, let’s wait and make sure we actually get SOMEONE.

not to be the wet blanket but man am I cautious(Ly optimistic)

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Easy there friend, let’s wait and make sure we actually get SOMEONE.

not to be the wet blanket but man am I cautious(Ly optimistic)

It doesn’t matter. Fitz is doing what he needs to do, and what he should do. If these dipsh!ts still don’t wanna come here, then fvck them. I want people who want to be here.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It doesn’t matter. Fitz is doing what he needs to do, and what he should do. If these dipsh!ts still don’t wanna come here, then fvck them. I want people who want to be here.

Agree.  He’s trying.  Starts there.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I liked Murray, I wouldn’t be against him coming back at the right price.

I'd like to bring back murray for the bottom pairing on the left side as a safe bet with Siegenthaler pushing for a spot rather than him being given one. Then there's Bahl that could challenge too but i still think he needs another season down there. 

Walsh might be able to challenge for the right side if we need a callup too

• Like 1