The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, you can pretend my “unusual obsession” with defending Jack is the reason, but you had a problem with me long before that. I expect part of it was because I was very critical of your boy Cory (and probably Greene too since you spent so much money on all those jerseys of his…). But when you insulted me over rooting for Ovi during his Cup run was when I figured out you were just a grumpy a$$hole. You really should bring back that Dennis Quaid avi from Major League you had because it was ridiculously fitting. 

Anyway, I don’t really give a sh!t what you, or the people in your secret correspondence think about me defending the kid. My takes on Jack are not the ones that are going to look ridiculous in a couple years…

I don't remember anything about Cory and even I was saying Greene was old and slow the last 2 years he was here.  So I will mentally note that as you making things up again.

There you go again with trying to connect to something to my jersey hobby to try to insult me.  Funny how typically the ones who insult my collecting are the ones asking me for advice privately or larping as a jersey expert on another forum (which btw stopped right after I mentioned that a few months ago on here).

lol I remember the thing with Ovi but frankly I don't care.  You have your buddy throwing insults to other members for years here but nary a peep from you.  It's impossible to talk to you about anything critical about the team without you getting pissy.  You are probably the best customer HBSE could find as they could ice a sh!t team for eternity and you would still have a smile on your face.

As for Jack, there is defending him, and then there is reaching a level where you would literally take a bullet for him.  That's just.....different.

Edited by DevsMan84

Just now, Nicomo said:

I give @MB3the edge for his creativity. Seriously, some of the sh!t he says is so off the walls I don’t even know what to think lol. You’re more of a stick with the classics kind of comedian. :D

That’s fair. I have had a fair amount of “dad jokes” in my repertoire since way before I was a dad. 

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I give @MB3the edge for his creativity. Seriously, some of the sh!t he says is so off the walls I don’t even know what to think lol. You’re more of a stick with the classics kind of comedian. :D

mfitz just has this natural and quick kind of wit, that is somehow very "agreeable", for lack of better words.  He's the dude who knows just what joke to crack in an awkward situation to make it suddenly...less awkward for everyone.  

MB3 is more of a multiple personalities guy, one of which can be really friggin' funny (and beyond creative in how he expresses himself)...he's provided me with plenty of belly laughs through the years.  Then there's the guy who loses his sh!t in over-the-top fashion in GDTs...I'll admit it, I've had my share of meltdowns over the years, but I think reaching my 50s and watching a lot of rough Devils hockey over the last several years has kind of mellowed me out to the point where I'm not as prone to losing it as I once was (and I've had some SERIOUS yelling-at-the-TV screamfests that have made some around me, well, uneasy...my daughter makes it a point to remind me that "They can't hear you" when I'm berating the Devils yet again).  Then there's the MB3 who seems to be fine with me one day and then seems to hate everything that I post other days, in a way that'll have me saying "Huh what?"  I have no issues with MB3, just never quite sure which version of him is going to post.  

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Now I want pizza. 

Every day that ends in "y" is a day that I want pizza.  And as we've been over, thank god we live in part of the country that good pizza is easily accessible.  My personal trainer grew up in Kentucky and Illinois (he's been here for about 10 years now), and he said he didn't realize how good pizza really was until he moved to this area.  Still can't figure out how chains like Domino's, Little Caesar's, Papa John's etc actually survive here...there's SO many good mom and pop options to choose from.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Having a 14 year old, I can tell you a lot of what a 13 year old says also does not belong here lol. 

OH I agree, I have a cousin with two 13 and 16 year old daughters and what they say and their friends wear would have gotten our generation the belt out back.

Some people don't have a filter though and I'd prefer not to chase anyone away with obnoxious sexual innuendo or crass remarks.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

mfitz just has this natural and quick kind of wit, that is somehow very "agreeable", for lack of better words.  He's the dude who knows just what joke to crack in an awkward situation to make it suddenly...less awkward for everyone.  

I find timing to be a huge part of comedy and I appreciate your comment on mine. I passed this along to my daughter, who is WAY took quick witted for her age, I created a monster lol. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Every day that ends in "y" is a day that I want pizza.  And as we've been over, thank god we live in part of the country that good pizza is easily accessible.  My personal trainer grew up in Kentucky and Illinois (he's been here for about 10 years now), and he said he didn't realize how good pizza really was until he moved to this area.  Still can't figure out how chains like Domino's, Little Caesar's, Papa John's etc actually survive here...there's SO many good mom and pop options to choose from.  

Here as well, maybe even more so. We have a mom & pop pizza place within walking distance no matter where you are on Staten Island. There’s about 4 within a 5 minute walk from my house.

Yet, a Domino’s opened nearby, again. They never succeed but people keep trying. 

1 minute ago, DevilMinder said:

OH I agree, I have two 13 and 16 year old cousin daughters and what they say and their friends wear would have gotten our generation the belt out back.

Some people don't have a filter though and I'd prefer not to chase anyone away with obnoxious sexual innuendo or crass remarks.

You could enforce some type of penalty when folks get out line. Like taking away the rocket ship from their avi. I know I would be absolutely heartbroken. :P

2 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

That’s like a lot of my material but I will try. Just for you. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

You could enforce some type of penalty when folks get out line. Like taking away the rocket ship from their avi. I know I would be absolutely heartbroken. :P

Definitely I would offer a….

Never mind. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I find timing to be a huge part of comedy and I appreciate your comment on mine. I passed this along to my daughter, who is WAY took quick witted for her age, I created a monster lol. 

Here as well, maybe even more so. We have a mom & pop pizza place within walking distance no matter where you are on Staten Island. There’s about 4 within a 5 minute walk from my house.

Yet, a Domino’s opened nearby, again. They never succeed but people keep trying. 

That is about to happen in my neighborhood, literally across the street from one of the best pizza places in the area. Like who the hell wants Dominos in Jersey? Its like getting dunkin donut bagels, what's your malfunction?

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Having a 14 year old, I can tell you a lot of what a 13 year old says also does not belong here lol. 

My daughter (almost 13) won't drop F-bombs in front of me, but I've gotten her to admit to me that she curses among her peers...I've basically told her, "Look, watch yourself around adults and your friends' parents, but if you're just hanging out with your pals and your cursing, well...I'm not stupid, I know you do it, I've heard your friends at times, and when I was your age we cursed plenty (and I can't say that I've ever stopped)"

Basically I've told her if she slips with some bad language in front of me, I'm not going to get angry...they're just words, and a lot of people say them on a daily basis (and they're on TV constantly).  But I double-down on the "Watch it in front of others" stance.  I'm a bit desensitized, but a kid cursing left and right can sound really cringey to some people.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I blame that-there internet. Corrupting our children!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Nah, kids are still learning their profanity the old fashioned way: half from their parents, half from school. Even virtual school. There was a kid in my daughter’s class who was suspended for logging into virtual class with the name “Harry Balls”. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Nah, kids are still learning their profanity the old fashioned way: half from their parents, half from school. Even virtual school. There was a kid in my daughter’s class who was suspended for logging into virtual class with the name “Harry Balls”. 

I laughed way too hard at that.

Just now, DevilMinder said:

That is about to happen in my neighborhood, literally across the street from one of the best pizza places in the area. Like who the hell wants Dominoes in Jersey? Its like getting dunkin donut bagels, what's your malfunction?

One time the bagel shop that I usually buy bagels from was simply unexpectedly closed...and a second bagel shop (that's solid but not my fave) was beyond packed, so I went to a nearby DD's to buy my daughter a bagel (she was maybe 7 at the time...she likes 'em plain, nothing on them at all).  She ate it, but gave a WTF is THIS?! look that made it clear that I should not buy her another DD bagel ever again.  Lesson learned.

• Haha 1

My daughter (almost 13) won't drop F-bombs in front of me, but I've gotten her to admit to me that she curses among her peers...I've basically told her, "Look, watch yourself around adults and your friends' parents, but if you're just hanging out with your pals and your cursing, well...I'm not stupid, I know you do it, I've heard your friends at times, and when I was your age we cursed plenty (and I can't say that I've ever stopped)"

Basically I've told her if she slips with some bad language in front of me, I'm not going to get angry...they're just words, and a lot of people say them on a daily basis (and they're on TV constantly).  But I double-down on the "Watch it in front of others" stance.  I'm a bit desensitized, but a kid cursing left and right can sound really cringey to some people.

It’s not just the cursing, it’s the raunchy stuff. Every kid has a friend that does the whole “have you ever heard of a…?” thing. Even the girls. Which reminds me, one of the draftees this year had a name that could fill in that blank, I have to go back and look. 

4 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

That is about to happen in my neighborhood, literally across the street from one of the best pizza places in the area. Like who the hell wants Dominos in Jersey? Its like getting dunkin donut bagels, what's your malfunction?

Man this makes me miss the more "real" Bagels 4 U bagels. The only bagels down here are the DD kind. Blah.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I laughed way too hard at that.

Yeah me too. The kid shows promise. 

Imagine getting that call that your kid has been suspended…and that’s what he did. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It’s not just the cursing, it’s the raunchy stuff. Every kid has a friend that does the whole “have you ever heard of a…?” thing. Even the girls. Which reminds me, one of the draftees this year had a name that could fill in that blank, I have to go back and look. 

Yeah the raunchy stuff is a lot harder to take...when she made it clear she knew what "WAP" stands for (rapper term, I won't elaborate), that was a bit jarring.  Kids in my area tend to be on the more "innocent" side...in some ways my daughter is very mature, but in others her and her friends seem younger than they are mentally.  Her bestie looks like she's 15 but acts like she's 9 or 10.  

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, but @MB3offered to do it himself, which is nothing two consenting adults can’t just agree to. Assuming Hall would consent, which of course, how could he not?

Yeah but in this case since i'd be that girl's parent / legal gardian and that she'd be underage. Then it would require my consent. Right? 

8 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

My parents have a house upstate where they go for the Spring and Summer, and there are no bagel places there, so they get them from Panera. Ok, I get that. 

But then they come here, where there are bagel stores churning out hot fresh bagels all day, and they STILL go to Panera because they feel like they have to be consistent. 

We make fun of them all the time for this. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but in this case since i'd be that girl's parent / legal gardian and that she'd be underage. Then it would require my consent. Right? 

Maybe in Canada it works that way. 

One time the bagel shop that I usually buy bagels from was simply unexpectedly closed...and a second bagel shop (that's solid but not my fave) was beyond packed, so I went to a nearby DD's to buy my daughter a bagel (she was maybe 7 at the time...she likes 'em plain, nothing on them at all).  She ate it, but gave a WTF is THIS?! look that made it clear that I should not buy her another DD bagel ever again.  Lesson learned.

DD has some of the best coffee around, imo, but the donuts and bagels are pretty mediocre. I think I might have actually been more impressed with the bagels you guys have up there during my first trip to NYC than I was with the pizza (although that was really good, too). I remember just even getting bagels from food trucks in the city that were amazing. I guess it has something to do with the water up there. Or so I’m told.