The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

Just now, EdgeControl said:

I know of two people who blew their brains out with a shotgun over gambling debts.. terrible addiction.. internet gambling is a scary thing..

Agree totally. Made it a million times easier for the addicted to get themselves into trouble. 

10 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I know of two people who blew their brains out with a shotgun over gambling debts.. terrible addiction.. internet gambling is a scary thing..

And sadly I can’t help but wonder if Kane will wind up feeling like he may have no other way out.  He is mired in an insane amount of debt (if you believe what’s being reported) and it sounds like he will soon have nothing left…no job, no family, nothing.  It sounds like he brought plenty of this on himself, but this really feels like a tragedy in the making.  I just wonder how a guy like this ever recovers from this…regardless of the fact that he’s the one who appears to have taken the wrecking ball to his life.  

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And sadly I can’t help but wonder if Kane will wind up feeling like he may have no other way out.  He is mired in an insane amount of debt (if you believe what’s being reported) and it sounds like he will soon have nothing left…no job, no family, nothing.  It sounds like he brought plenty of this on himself, but this really feels like a tragedy in the making.  I just wonder how a guy like this ever recovers from this…regardless of the fact that he’s the one who appears to have taken the wrecking ball to his life.  

I feel like we were all just talking about Kane’s gambling problem when he declared bankruptcy. This dude needs to be forced into a program, enough pussyfooting around about it or he will become a statistic.

I feel like when people shrugged off the money phone image as “oh he’s just a kid” they were ignoring glaring warning signs. Then again when he was doing push-ups with stacks in his back, again in Vegas.

25 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I mean it's not past the realm of possibility. Look at what happened with Carton.

Now instead of a sportscaster with that vice, imagine a sports star. Could be magnitudes worse

Not to mention Carton was able to serve his time, and then regain his livelihood.  His wife stuck by him, in spite of everything.  

If Kane’s wife’s allegations are proven true, what the hell does he do?  How does he make a living?  Begin to pare down his debts?

The latest story I read on Eichel is saying that including Kaapo Kakko is the key. I don’t know how accurate that is but I will derive some joy if he is included and they move on from him so quickly. 

I figure they will wind up with Eichel no matter what, so having to include Kakko makes it a little better. 

https://nypost.com/2021/07/31/kaapo-kakko-may-be-rangers-key-to-jack-eichel-sweepstakes/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The latest story I read on Eichel is saying that including Kaapo Kakko is the key. I don’t know how accurate that is but I will derive some joy if he is included and they move on from him so quickly. 

I figure they will wind up with Eichel no matter what, so having to include Kakko makes it a little better. 

https://nypost.com/2021/07/31/kaapo-kakko-may-be-rangers-key-to-jack-eichel-sweepstakes/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

• Haha 1

Kane has released his own statements regarding his ex wife’s comments.

I have a very hard time believing a guy who can’t stay out of his own way is so pious and moral and his ex is the only problem. Sorry, Evander, but you haven’t proven you can’t step on your own d-ck less than once a year. Benefit of the doubt is gone.

EDIT: proven, not progeny, what the hell iPhone...

Edited by jagknife

Guess we’ll find out who’s being more truthful after a thorough investigation.  More than anyone else, I feel for those kids. What a fvcking mess to be growing up in.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It’s more than a little bit upsetting to me that still in today’s age stuff like this comes out and there are people ready to say “oh i bet the woman made it up”.

he’s been a grade-A douchebag his entire NHL career and, should the NHL find any examples of this being true, should be removed from the sport.

Yeah people saying that are sh!theads cause they have no idea.

I also don't think it has anything to do with gender or anything. Society is fvcked. 

Anytime ANY accusations of any kind are coming out. The reaction should be "well interesting, now let's wait til there's more details out before i pass judgement on this". 

But we don't live in a society that does that. Now people know what they want to believe and they'll blindly pick a side depending on who's involved and based on their own narrative. They'll either join the mob/witchhunt or they'll stick their head in the sand. So many double standards out there its infuriating. Like when Alissa Milano went on a mission for weeks and pushed the "WE GOTTA BELIEVE ALL VICTIMS NO MATTER WHAT" during the Kavanaugh thing. But then when her friend joe Biden was also accused of freaky sh!t then she pushed the "Well i think Joe deserves due process here, he's my friend". Welllll what about that victim Alissa?!? I'm glad she got called hard out for that too.

We obviously want to live in a society where people doing sh!tty things have consequences and we want to live in a world where victims are taken cared of. But you need proofs for anything and unfortunately in many cases it's impossible to provide... and we simply cannot adopt a system where a claim is taken as a proof, that'd open an enormous can of worms.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah people saying that are sh!theads cause they have no idea.

I also don't think it has anything to do with gender or anything. Society is fvcked. 

Anytime ANY accusations of any kind are coming out. The reaction should be "well interesting, now let's wait til there's more details out before i pass judgement on this". 

But we don't live in a society that does that. Now people know what they want to believe and they'll blindly pick a side depending on who's involved and based on their own narrative. They'll either join the mob/witchhunt or they'll stick their head in the sand. So many double standards out there its infuriating. Like when Alissa Milano went on a mission for weeks and pushed the "WE GOTTA BELIEVE ALL VICTIMS NO MATTER WHAT" during the Kavanaugh thing. But then when her friend joe Biden was also accused of freaky sh!t then she pushed the "Well i think Joe deserves due process here, he's my friend". Welllll what about that victim Alissa?!? I'm glad she got called hard out for that too.

We obviously want to live in a society where people doing sh!tty things have consequences and we want to live in a world where victims are taken cared of. But you need proofs for anything and unfortunately in many cases it's impossible to provide... and we simply cannot adopt a system where a claim is taken as a proof, that'd open an enormous can of worms.

There is also the small loud circles screaming about how the NHL is stepping in over gambling but didn't do anything about the Blackhawks, and then of course the racial ties are being thrown onto it as well.

As if being a piece of sh!t is exclusive the color of one's skin. For that crowd, I'd like to point out the IMMEDIATE backlash of the Habs' pick at the draft.

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

There is also the small loud circles screaming about how the NHL is stepping in over gambling but didn't do anything about the Blackhawks, and then of course the racial ties are being thrown onto it as well.

As if being a piece of sh!t is exclusive the color of one's skin. For that crowd, I'd like to point out the IMMEDIATE backlash of the Habs' pick at the draft.

Well again from my understanding that's a very different situation on how it came about.

The gamble thing came out on social media, so EVERYONE heard about it at the same time so they had to address it right away. While I believe the Chicago thing the victim filled a lawsuit or wtv. So it began internally and eventually leaked into the media.

I'm pretty confident if it was the opposite that... E Kane's wife would have contacted the NHL directly about this. They wouldnt have made a public statement like "So we were just informed that Evander Kane did this, so we're going to look into it and launch an investigation and let you know". That's simply not how you do things lol And then im sure if that chicago victim would have come out on social media with a long rant like she did. Yeah the NHL would have publicly address it right away.

As far as the racial thing. ANYONE who will give more or less attention to someone's actions based on their skin colour just to get a rise and push their own narrative are part of the problem. We see it constantly used by the media on both sides. Like i said in my previous post. A black guy does something bad. Fox will put it front and center "BLACK MAN DID THIS" while CNN won't even report it, bury it or put "Chicago man did this". Then same thing if a white person does something bad. CNN will specify the skin colour in the headline then Fox won't. It's maddening 

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well again from my understanding that's a very different situation on how it came about.

The gamble thing came out on social media, so EVERYONE heard about it at the same time so they had to address it right away. While I believe the Chicago thing the victim filled a lawsuit or wtv. So it began internally and eventually leaked into the media.

I'm pretty confident if it was the opposite that... E Kane's wife would have contacted the NHL directly about this. They wouldnt have made a public statement like "So we were just informed that Evander Kane did this, so we're going to look into it and launch an investigation and let you know". That's simply not how you do things lol And then im sure if that chicago victim would have come out on social media with a long rant like she did. Yeah the NHL would have publicly address it right away.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Katie Strang's article that blew the lid off the Chicago scandal? And the NHL refused to comment?

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Katie Strang's article that blew the lid off the Chicago scandal? And the NHL refused to comment?

Oh that's possible, again i specified that it was "from my understanding", so i could be wrong. But also i know that when things are under investigation that people involved are told not to comment on things. Hell even Evander Kane was told by his legal team NOT to make a statement and he did. I think it's common practice. Also the statement made by the NHL was strictly that they would investigate... while the chicago thing was already under investigation, so not sure if there's anything more to report?

also since there was so many people involved with the chicago thing i understand wanting to keep the lid on that. It's like when the cops are about to take down a network of drug or weapon dealers. They don't put out a big statement in the news so that people have the chance to get prepared for that. The gambling thing is single incident with one person. 

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i wonder who else we add. i can see us go for a bottom six. 

I think Fitz is taking his time in trying to land a Top 6.  Just wants the price to be right.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Fitz is taking his time in trying to land a Top 6.  Just wants the price to be right.  

Yeah he said he was ‘trying’ the other day, and you even said the next move may take some time. I’m sure Fitz is working the phones daily. 

1 minute ago, pumpkin cutter said:

think itll be a ufa or via a trade? i'm not good at scouting, but i would have no problem dangling boqvist. 

I think Fitz is open to whatever improves the team…I think Saad was his initial target, but obviously Saad chose the Blues.  I’m thinking Tarasenko might be next on his list…so far no one has stepped to nab him. What I like about Fitz’s MO is that he doesn’t seem prone to making a panic move…he may eventually make a deal for Tarasenko, but at his price.  

Boqvist wouldn’t be much than a throw-in at this point…just don’t think he’s shown enough in his brief time as an NHLer.  

• Like 1