The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

Geez am I on trial here too?

I swear I never wasted millions on gambling. But if I was to gamble, I would lose a tonne. For instance, I would have bet the house for Montreal to lose every round this last playoffs. And that's why I don't.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No I read ex wife in the tweets somewhere. Kane called her that and mentioned divorce proceedings.

Evander referred to her as “estranged” and “soon to be ex-wife” and “ex-wife” in his response. 

Edited by mfitz804

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would say, he did just score 49 points in 56 games this season. If he is trying to throw games, it’s not reflected in his stat line. Doesn’t mean it’s not true, of course. 

Not just you, but a lot of people are insinuating him betting on his team implied throwing games. Dude coulda just bet on himself during a point streak, still illegal/sketch nonetheless

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Not just you, but a lot of people are insinuating him betting on his team implied throwing games. Dude coulda just bet on himself during a point streak, still illegal/sketch nonetheless

I’m not implying anything, I’m just saying that it doesn’t appear that he was. I’m not the one making that accusation. If he bet on himself to succeed, it’s less deplorable IMHO but still against the rules. 

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would say, he did just score 49 points in 56 games this season. If he is trying to throw games, it’s not reflected in his stat line. Doesn’t mean it’s not true, of course. 

Kane had 22 goals and 27 assists this past season for the Sharks, leading the team in both categories. The 29-year-old’s worst stretch of the season coincided with San Jose’s eight-game losing streak in April, when any outside shot at a playoff berth was long gone. During that period, Kane’s only two goals were a shorthanded goal in the third period of a 3-2 loss at Minnesota, and a tally at home against the Wild that cut a third-period deficit to 5-2. If that April swoon by the Sharks isn’t where the NHL’s investigation begins, the league doesn’t know what it’s doing.  https://deadspin.com/it-took-a-game-tanking-accusation-for-the-nhl-to-finall-1847403539?utm_campaign=Deadspin&utm_content=1627827851&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR09KbrGXyvKVs3aFnYa33GYgCIVeu5PKpQP1MzX27NeO73aaj2XXE6MuGo

So what are you guys and girls actually willing to give up in a trade for Tarasenko?  

If the Blues GM is doing his job correctly, I assume a future high pick is going their way if VT plays a certain amount of games the next two years but what’s the base of the trade?  I would love to add Tarasenko but there’s really not much I’m willing to give up off the current roster for a older guy with a bum shoulder, especially if we’re taking on the whole cap hit.  I hope Fitz just set a really low limit order price and set it to expire at the end of the summer and then left the office until September.  He deserves a month off!   

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

So what are you guys and girls actually willing to give up in a trade for Tarasenko?  

If the Blues GM is doing his job correctly, I assume a future high pick is going their way if VT plays a certain amount of games the next two years but what’s the base of the trade?  I would love to add Tarasenko but there’s really not much I’m willing to give up off the current roster for a older guy with a bum shoulder, especially if we’re taking on the whole cap hit.  I hope Fitz just set a really low limit order price and set it to expire at the end of the summer and then left the office until September.  He deserves a month off!   

Maybe a 2nd and a B level prospect (Boqvist, Walsh, etc)? We shouldn’t have to offer as much as other teams since we’re probably the only one’s who can take on that entire contract. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kane had 22 goals and 27 assists this past season for the Sharks, leading the team in both categories. The 29-year-old’s worst stretch of the season coincided with San Jose’s eight-game losing streak in April, when any outside shot at a playoff berth was long gone. During that period, Kane’s only two goals were a shorthanded goal in the third period of a 3-2 loss at Minnesota, and a tally at home against the Wild that cut a third-period deficit to 5-2. If that April swoon by the Sharks isn’t where the NHL’s investigation begins, the league doesn’t know what it’s doing.  https://deadspin.com/it-took-a-game-tanking-accusation-for-the-nhl-to-finall-1847403539?utm_campaign=Deadspin&utm_content=1627827851&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR09KbrGXyvKVs3aFnYa33GYgCIVeu5PKpQP1MzX27NeO73aaj2XXE6MuGo

Hmm that makes it a bit more interesting of a story, doesn’t it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

Maybe a 2nd and a B level prospect (Boqvist, Walsh, etc)? We shouldn’t have to offer as much as other teams since we’re probably the only one’s who can take on that entire contract. 

I don’t know what their needs are to be honest, but I’m assuming you are correct, especially since we would eat the money. 

I have a feeling if there will be a trade, Boqvist will be included. But again, I don’t know where their needs are. It’s more of a gut feeling. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know what their needs are to be honest, but I’m assuming you are correct, especially since we would eat the money. 

I have a feeling if there will be a trade, Boqvist will be included. But again, I don’t know where their needs are. It’s more of a gut feeling. 

If we end up with the winning bid on Tarasenko, I’ll say it’s a 2nd round pick, Boqvist, and Aarne Talvitie. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

If we end up with the winning bid on Tarasenko, I’ll say it’s a 2nd round pick, Boqvist, and Aarne Talvitie. 

You gotta give to get, I get it, but I kind of want to hold on to Boqvist now that he kind of showed a bit of potential last season and has that versatility to play any position up front. Also, I doubt Mercer or Holtz make the team out of camp but we'll see.

• Like 2

Holtz definitely doesn’t seem ready. Mercer is much more likely to at least get a look, but some time in the AHL would probably do him good. I really don’t want to rush any of these young guys. They were patient with Ty Smith and it looks to be paying off. 

Boqvist already has 63 GP in the NHL, so I expect to continue to see him get a chance with the big club. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Even though Boqvist isn’t as talented as Holtz/Mercer, he’s certainly more NHL-ready.

Sure, a 22 year old is more ready than a pair of 19 year olds, that makes sense. I don’t know if Boqvist is talented enough. 

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I wasn’t trying to be snarky and I’m not sure why I’m getting snark as a response. 

It makes little sense to me for the Devils to trade a young center for an old winger. Boqvist is likely holding down the 3C role next year unless the Devils bring in someone else. 

If the Devils are giving a roster player, I think it’s likely Kuokkonen. Good young player, promising upside, but sorta in that “man without a position” spot if the Devils fill his role with Tarasenko. I do hope the Devils hold on to Kuok.

My guess will be: 

Mukhmadulin, 2023 3rd round pick, 2024 3rd round pick*

2024 pick becomes a 2nd round pick if Tarasenko plays 75% of NJs games. 

That wasn’t snark. It’s a fact. 

Boqvist is kind of the opposite of Zacha. He’s looked much better at center. Problem is they kept trying him at wing (I’d be interested in the % if anyone knows where to find that). Hopefully they leave him in the middle going forward. 

• Like 3

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31936843/nhl-rejects-seattle-kraken-deal-goaltender-philipp-grubauer-noting-violation-front-loaded-contract-rules-source-says

I can only assume the league will come down with a furious vengeance. Punishment will be swift and sever. Oh they can just restructure it and resubmit it? Cool cool. 

• Like 4