The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the bolded is SO important, mostly because once you do have enough guys you feel like you HAVE to pay (even if they will indeed make your team top-heavy), it's the mid-tier, younger vets that you start shuffling out (often for picks), for guys from within on entry-level deals that can hopefully approximate what you're shipping out.

But yeah once you start getting close to being capped out, it's often those mid-tier guys (or soon-to-be mid-tier guys that you simply can't pay) who get moved first, out of necessity...then, if it comes down to additional crunches, it's trying to move a early-30ish pricey core piece with 2-3 years left on his deal, who still has enough in the tank that a team is willing to give you picks and cheap young talent for him...it sucks initially, because clearly the best player (at the time) involved in the deal is the one you're dealing away.  Yeah never easy choices to make for sure, but like you said, part of what comes with a cap.

Right now is the fun part for us, in that with so many teams having cap concerns, the Devils don't.  They can take on Tarasenko's two years and all of his salary if they want to, without even flinching.  They were able to offer Hamilton plenty.  Obviously if all goes well it won't be like this forever, but like we're all saying, man will it be a great problem to have if the Devils actually have SO many great players that figuring out who to pay and who to keep becomes the new dilemna.

Yeah that was really what i was getting at. It's one thing to have top guys but if you can surround them with cheap guys at good value, you also can't win. You're just the Maple Leafs. Cause as we feel our roster that could be our roster for the next 5-6 years is getting close to be finalize (at least the big parts) and that it's making our drafting and prospects a bit less important, well that's really an illusion. I mean yeah its giving you some flexibility and making some expandable but you still really need to make sure you have guys coming up. And that's something we failed at in the last 2 decades.

5 minutes ago, Guadana said:

You live in the glass house, man. Put your stones down.

I was 100% right. When you explain something and specify "I dont mean this" and someone goes "i can't believe you said this". It's not on you

Edited by SterioDesign

24 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I was 100% right. When you explain something and specify "I dont mean this" and someone goes "i can't believe you said this". It's not on you

I’m not sure what else you could have said to avoid this situation, and yet it still happened. 

6 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I mean it's STRICTLY anecdotal, but every time the Devil's are floated as a potential trade partner on Twitter, I see a lot of non-devils fans asking for Severson

Severson continues to be extremely underrated on this board. Especially by CR76 with the whole “minus man” stuff. Damon is a top 4 D on most teams around the league. But as it’s been pointed out a million times he’s always been asked to do too much in NJ. He was our leader in ATOI last season ffs. Now that Hamilton and Graves are on the team he’ll be able to properly slot in as a 3/4. That pairing with Ty Smith looked legit for a good long stretch last year so I hope they’ll be kept together. Personally, I’d be more interested in extending Severson when the time comes than I would including him in any possible trade scenarios. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure what else you could have said to avoid this situation, and yet it still happened. 

yeah i admitted countless times that im horrible in general at getting my points across cause my english is not top notch. So i specify what i DON'T mean at the very least so there's no major misunderstanding. But alas...

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Severson continues to be extremely underrated on this board. Especially by CR76 with the whole “minus man” stuff. Damon is a top 4 D on most teams around the league. But as it’s been pointed out a million times he’s always been asked to do too much in NJ. He was our leader in ATOI last season ffs. Now that Hamilton and Graves are on the team he’ll be able to properly slot in as a 3/4. That pairing with Ty Smith looked legit for a good long stretch last year so I hope they’ll be kept together. Personally, I’d be more interested in extending Severson when the time comes than I would including him in any possible trade scenarios. 

I said that part of the problem was Severson being asked to do too much.  I’m curious to see what he’ll do with a lesser role.

That being said, never did see much evolution from him…but maybe that’s more due to not being put in the best position to succeed.

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not the only one who didn't understand your mysterious point.

Well for once it's not on me. As mfitz804 also said, im not sure what else i could have said to avoid it.

Anyway, let's talk hockey

Edited by SterioDesign

If the Devils miss out on Tarasenko, I'm hoping they go for Tatar on a short term deal. If he has a good season and the Devils are out of playoff contention early on, that's a free pick at the deadline. If the playoffs are in reach, he could be helpful for a playoff push. Not a lot of downside if the term is right, unless more than one of Foote, Holtz, and Mercer are ready to be full-time NHLers and are blocked in the lineup by Tatar.

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Tatar is awful and couldn't even make it onto the ice on a team that was desperate for scoring. Please no more Lou-type washed up replacements. Thanks a bunch.

Agreed, I have no interest in Tatar. I have a fleeting curiosity about Tarasenko. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Tatar is awful and couldn't even make it onto the ice on a team that was desperate for scoring. Please no more Lou-type washed up replacements. Thanks a bunch.

yeah he was doing decent but he's inconsistent but his scoring fell HARD at the end of last season and he's been notorious for not showing up during playoff games.

I mean i wouldnt be mad if we sign him on a short term deal very short but i wouldnt be excited about it either

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah he was doing decent but he's inconsistent but his scoring fell HARD at the end of last season and he's been notorious for not showing up during playoff games.

I mean i wouldnt be mad if we sign him on a short term deal very short but i wouldnt be excited about it either

His playoff numbers are quite terrible indeed (looked them up).

What I like about how Fitz has handled this so far is that he hasn't "panic-pivoted" to another option, after losing out on Saad...many GMs do that.  It would be so easy for Fitz to just go harder after Tarasenko (even if Fitz doesn't really want to), or sign Tatar to a contract that will likely be lousy from the second it's signed, especially since he has so much money to work with...but he's made it clear that having the money doesn't mean he's going to just throw it around on players that he doesn't think are the right fit.  I remember many years ago, the Mets half-heartedly threw their names into a bunch of higher-profile FA baskets, and predictably came up empty...finally they signed a rather meh pitcher (Kevin Appier) to a desperation "Gotta pay someone" absurd deal...Appier's camp basically admitted that they signed on the dotted line right away because they never thought he would get that kind of an offer.  Just glad we're not reading about the Devils signing Tatar to a 4-year, $26 million deal or something like that, simply because the money that would've been Saad's "needs" to be spent on SOMEONE.  

It's funny, more and more I think that he had a VERY specific shopping list:  Hamilton, Saad, and Bernier.  The first two I suspect he was targeting well before the offseason arrived; he probably had a short list of "Who can give us what Crawford should have?" goalies, and settled on Bernier (in a good way...of the candidates available to the Devils, he made the most sense).  He snagged two out of three...all things considered, pretty damned good.  

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone's seen this, but JS Dea (played 20 games with the Devils back in 2018-19) had some interesting things to say about Eichel:

Former Penguin J.S. Dea says Eichel not the same captain Crosby is (msn.com)

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure if anyone's seen this, but JS Dea (played 20 games with the Devils back in 2018-19) had some interesting things to say about Eichel:

Former Penguin J.S. Dea says Eichel not the same captain Crosby is (msn.com)

It must be so f'ing annoying for star players when dudes you probably don't even remember give their opinions like this.