The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta think Fitz’s last order of business will be to re-sign Kuokkanen.  If that’s it for this offseason, no complaints.  

He did what he needed to do. Elite defenseman, a couple vets who produce, and a backup goalie. Spent some money. Re-signed the people he needed to. If he would’ve brought in Coleman, I would have been really excited. But that would’ve been a lot to ask for given all he did do. 

If he brings anyone else of consequence in, it’s icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta think Fitz’s last order of business will be to re-sign Kuokkanen.  If that’s it for this offseason, no complaints.  

yea can't complain. he basically did what shero did a few years ago, but hopefully with a different outcome. dougie alone is a homerun. still can't believe he chose nj. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He did what he needed to do. Elite defenseman, a couple vets who produce, and a backup goalie. Spent some money. Re-signed the people he needed to. If he would’ve brought in Coleman, I would have been really excited. But that would’ve been a lot to ask for given all he did do. 

If he brings anyone else of consequence in, it’s icing on the cake. 

The backup goalie is also capable of starting 35+ games if need be.

Fitz clearly wanted Saad but brought in Tatar as a solid consolation prize.  Yeah all in all I’d say he had a terrific offseason.  If he brings in anyone else, I agree…icing on the cake.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The backup goalie is also capable of starting 35+ games if need be.

That is fair, he is closer to a 1B than a backup. With Blackwood’s propensity for (thus far relatively minor) injuries, we may see more of him than we are anticipating. 

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

yea can't complain. he basically did what shero did a few years ago, but hopefully with a different outcome. dougie alone is a homerun. still can't believe he chose nj. 

Shero (I suspect due to ownership influence) brought in an expensive D with questionable instincts and on a possible decline, that was available for nothing too crazy due to his former team looking to dump his salary.  PK felt like much more of an “if” than Hamilton does.  And yeah very happy he picked NJ.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

this team better be sniffin the playoffs. no more last place trash. time for the kids to put on their big boy pants

I mean I'm with you, but... It's a big jump from garbage bottom feeders to bubble team.

That said, Dougie + Tatar + Graves might be enough to easily get us there.

36 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean I'm with you, but... It's a big jump from garbage bottom feeders to bubble team.

Don’t discount Bernier. Our non-Mac goaltending has been trash the last couple years. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Alrighty there little miss attitude.

The truth is he’s not on the open market, so who gives a sh!t. He got more money than Heiskanen and Makar despite being older than both and worse than both. It’s a bad contract because it’s a significant overpayment on a player who’s rights they owned in a flat cap. 

Period.

God. Guys. It`s hard when you don`t read each other. 
This is his price now. Bad or good, this is the price. If you not pay, he will gone and take that money. Market approved. They don't have anything close in the system that would look like a real true #1 defenseman, only Nurse.
Btw He did score more than Makar and Miro, take more points than Miro. He did double hits than both, tripple blocked shots  Makar and double Miro. I know, names are cool, but Nurse was solid past years. But this is how market works. This is not a great deal, but this is market deal.
This is reality and when we will be in the same situation, no one wil ask some forum guys, does our players sound greatly like "MMA-KAAAAR" to give them 9 mil per year. Pelech did take 5.75 for 14 points. Nurse scores 16 goals.  It`s time to live with that, MB3. You can scream as loud as you can "Period" word, but this can cause blood to bleed. From the nose. Pressure. You shouldn't do that. Flat cap isn`t an argument no more. Because of market and last deals.

Btw it will hurt oilers and it`s great. Hope devils will find ways to sign resonable deals and trade some piecies we actually can replace.

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i guess we may be linked in Reilly smith according to the fourth period.

Weird

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was from like almost two weeks ago though lol 

And before Tuch ended up needing surgery. I wouldn’t mind Smith at all, he fell off a little last year but still can score and set up plays. Was critical on the misfit line with him, Karlsson and Marchessault

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jagknife said:

And before Tuch ended up needing surgery. I wouldn’t mind Smith at all, he fell off a little last year but still can score and set up plays. Was critical on the misfit line with him, Karlsson and Marchessault

Yeah i just think he's an odd guy to target for a trade out of anyone in the league.

I mean personally i still like to see who your GM is targeting even if its not leading anywhere. You can at least see what they are going for.

So we targeted Tarasenko, Saad, Smith, Tatar... so obviously we're targeting wingers but they are still different type of players. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I think you can kind of add Hischier to that equation as well.   He basically missed the entire year.  

I’m really optimistic about the improvement in the team we’re going to see this year.with a healthy Hischier and Bratt from the start, dougie pushing the rest of the right D down a slot and Zacha being moved full time to LW, Etc.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I think it’s a good time to take a run at dahlin. Buffalo doesn’t know what they’re doing. 

Problem is, they were able to make Philly look absolutely stupid with the Risto trade, so Kevyn Adams got one thing right during his tenure. He's been behind the 8-ball since birth when his parents decided to be unique and spell his name wrong, poor bastard, its been an uphill battle since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Problem is, they were able to make Philly look absolutely stupid with the Risto trade, so Kevyn Adams got one thing right during his tenure. He's been behind the 8-ball since birth when his parents decided to be unique and spell his name wrong, poor bastard, its been an uphill battle since.

He way underachieved on the Reinhart trade though... And to a division rival too. 

New Jersey Devils – 66.00

I do not hide my affinity for the Devils’ young core and they were one of the biggest movers up the board going from 81.00 to 66.00. They added Dougie Hamilton, the prize of this year’s free agent class, a dependable 1B in Jonathan Bernier and acquired a dependable defenseman in Ryan Graves. I think the Metro is pretty wide open, and they’ll have a healthy Nico Hischier forming a fantastic 1-2 punch down the middle with Jack Hughes. If you’re looking at a team that is very much a long shot but could go on a historic Cinderella run, the Devils would be fun to follow. 

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/updated-stanley-cup-odds-for-2021-22?fbclid=IwAR1PPgvegD9bAovflTxeRNav5sei5kqgAY2InPTbs4bcF-vyxU7yIAdk2r4

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I heard that Kessel wants out of PHX. I’d rather the Devils look into that rather than Tarasenko if Fitz is planning another move. I know it would cost more to acquire him but he’d look nice on the first line.

Opposite end of the scale from Tarasenko on the fitness front. Hardly ever misses a game and can certainly score. Would he be part of the team for more than a season or two? Probably not, so not worth giving up assets for.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I heard that Kessel wants out of PHX. I’d rather the Devils look into that rather than Tarasenko if Fitz is planning another move. I know it would cost more to acquire him but he’d look nice on the first line.

Check out 2019-20…his offensive numbers were pretty bad.  He shot over 17% last season, which makes his 2020-21 look better than it was.  Don’t really need to see him continue to decline here.