The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

25 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I think it’s best he stays there too. What’s the reason for him wanting out?

the team's doctor botched his 2 first surgeries before he went with a private doctor for the 3rd. He's kind of pissed about that and not trusting them anymore

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ranger or not, guy had a hell of a career...and was a 7th-round pick no less.  It will always be fun to take lil' digs at him for never winning a Cup, but that was more due the Rangers struggling to score in the playoffs, as well as failing to wrap up series in a timely manner.  His playoff numbers from 2011-12 through 2014-15 were superb (he started a whopping 76 playoff games, putting up save%s of .931, .934, .927 and .928 for those runs).  He was FAR less of the problem, when it came to his Rangers never getting over the hump.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bettman was on with Evan and Carton yesterday afternoon, and he seems to think this all just negotiating tactics.  The organization says it's committed to keeping the team in Phoenix as well, for whatever that's worth.  KC seems like they'd be a much better fit at this point...already have a fine building for an NHL team.  Guess we'll see.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bettman was on with Evan and Carton yesterday afternoon, and he seems to think this all just negotiating tactics.  The organization says it's committed to keeping the team in Phoenix as well, for whatever that's worth.  KC seems like they'd be a much better fit at this point...already have a fine building for an NHL team.  Guess we'll see.

I’m so sick of this sh!t. Move that fvcking franchise already. It isn’t working, it’s never worked- move them to Houston and be done with it. I’ve never seen a league bend over backwards to save an absolutely worthless franchise like the NHL does with Arizona.

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Kind of an interesting Lundqvist anecdote I may have shared on this forum before, but I'll share it again. I'm an architect, and when I was working in Manhattan we were hired to re-do the Lundqvist's kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. We're a few weeks into the project and I'm at the Lundqvist's house working with Therese (his wife) on some cabinetry layouts and going over backsplash samples. I had still never met Henrik, but I was excited to -- even though I hate the Rangers, it's always cool to meet a pro hockey player, especially one like Henrik. 

So we're working away and she says that she doesn't want to make an autonomous decision, and asks if I could hang out for 15 minutes because he was on his way back in from a workout. Sure, no problem. 15 minutes later he walks in drenched in sweat and gives me a kind of "hey, one second" point. No problem, he's the client. He walks over to the sink and is just GUZZLING down water, making these hideously awful gulping noises. Water was literally getting everywhere. At one point, he starts using his hands to scoop the water into his mouth. He's drenched at this point and Therese is totally un-phased. 

Finally he stops, looks at my (obviously confused?) face and says "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just thirsty, and I don't have any cups." 

GFY i wasted 40 seconds of my lunch break reading this you beautiful bastard

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Kind of an interesting Lundqvist anecdote I may have shared on this forum before, but I'll share it again. I'm an architect, and when I was working in Manhattan we were hired to re-do the Lundqvist's kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. We're a few weeks into the project and I'm at the Lundqvist's house working with Therese (his wife) on some cabinetry layouts and going over backsplash samples. I had still never met Henrik, but I was excited to -- even though I hate the Rangers, it's always cool to meet a pro hockey player, especially one like Henrik. 

So we're working away and she says that she doesn't want to make an autonomous decision, and asks if I could hang out for 15 minutes because he was on his way back in from a workout. Sure, no problem. 15 minutes later he walks in drenched in sweat and gives me a kind of "hey, one second" point. No problem, he's the client. He walks over to the sink and is just GUZZLING down water, making these hideously awful gulping noises. Water was literally getting everywhere. At one point, he starts using his hands to scoop the water into his mouth. He's drenched at this point and Therese is totally un-phased. 

Finally he stops, looks at my (obviously confused?) face and says "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just thirsty, and I don't have any cups." 

I only needed to read the first sentence to remember this one 🤣

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, MB3 said:

POTY. 

This is so good 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m so sick of this sh!t. Move that fvcking franchise already. It isn’t working, it’s never worked- move them to Houston and be done with it. I’ve never seen a league bend over backwards to save an absolutely worthless franchise like the NHL does with Arizona.

No I'm with you, I just don't think hockey was meant to be, as far as Arizona goes.  Hard to believe that they've been there for 25 years.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Imagine if we retired every great player that didn't contribute to winning anything.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/20/rangers-honor-henrik-lundqvists-brilliant-career-by-immediately-retiring-number/

On another note, still think it is a shame NJ hasn't done more to recognize Sergei Brylin. 

I mean, let’s be fair here- Lundqvist is probably the best goalie they’ve ever had, and he’s going to the HOF. I have no issue with them retiring his number. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Imagine if we retired every great player that didn't contribute to winning anything.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/20/rangers-honor-henrik-lundqvists-brilliant-career-by-immediately-retiring-number/

On another note, still think it is a shame NJ hasn't done more to recognize Sergei Brylin. 

I get it, he's a Ranger so of course we all hate him by default, and we all love that he never won a Cup, but the guy absolutely deserves to have his number retired and he's definitely going into the HHoF...I'd say he has a good shot to get in on his first try (6th all-time in wins, 8th all-time in regular season GP, .918 career save%, etc).  We'll see if the lack of a Cup means he has to wait a little longer, but it really shouldn't.  The team failed him at times more than he ever failed them.

Kinda weird that the whole Ring Of Honor/whatever seems to have died with the McMullen Night.  Yeah there's plenty of guys who deserve some kind of recognition.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No I'm with you, I just don't think hockey was meant to be, as far as Arizona goes.  Hard to believe that they've been there for 25 years.  

If the NHL is smart (🤣), they’ll move that team to Houston. It’s a huge market with millions of people and tons of corporate sponsorship. Plus the natural rivalry with Dallas. It’s as no-brainer as no-brainer gets. If the 32 owners wanna stop taking a damn bath on that stupid franchise, Houston is where they should go. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If the NHL is smart (🤣), they’ll move that team to Houston. It’s a huge market with millions of people and tons of corporate sponsorship. Plus the natural rivalry with Dallas. It’s as no-brainer as no-brainer gets. If the 32 owners wanna stop taking a damn bath on that stupid franchise, Houston is where they should go. 

Whatever they do, they need to stop doing the equivalent of trying to make fetch happen, when it comes to bending over backwards to keep the Yotes in Arizona.  And yeah, sure seems like Houston makes plenty of sense.      

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean, let’s be fair here- Lundqvist is probably the best goalie they’ve ever had, and he’s going to the HOF. I have no issue with them retiring his number. 

Yeah this one actually makes total sense.  Can't even pretend to make fun of the reasoning behind it or even hinting it's not deserved.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Yeah this one actually makes total sense.  Can't even pretend to make fun of the reasoning behind it or even hinting it's not deserved.

Well, I'll carry the unpopular opinion then.

Devils advocate:

Does that mean we can retire Zajac's number? The argument I see here all the time is we never won anything while he was here, so no, but he can go in the Ring of Honor.

He's 4th in all time games played with 1024, tied for 3rd all time goals/points with 202/550. I get he isn't as important as Lundqvist was to NYR, since he really carried them, but seems a bit unfair to say no to Zajac because no cup/winning but Lundqvist gets a resounding yes despite never winning anything. You could argue plenty of the years Zajac invested here the team/management failed him too.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well, I'll carry the unpopular opinion then.

Devils advocate:

Does that mean we can retire Zajac's number? The argument I see here all the time is we never won anything while he was here, so no, but he can go in the Ring of Honor.

He's 4th in all time games played with 1024, tied for 3rd all time goals/points with 202/550. I get he isn't as important as Lundqvist was to NYR, since he really carried them, but seems a bit unfair to say no to Zajac because no cup/winning but Lundqvist gets a resounding yes despite never winning anything. You could argue plenty of the years Zajac invested here the team/management failed him too.

Lundqvist was one of the best goalies in the league every year for most of his career. Zajac was the guy that we all thought we would need to bury on our third line before the Devils would become competitive. I get that most of us aren’t a fan of Henrik, but he was quite a player. 

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

Lundqvist was one of the best goalies in the league every year for most of his career. Zajac was the guy that we all thought we would need to bury on our third line before the Devils would become competitive. I get that most of us aren’t a fan of Henrik, but he was quite a player. 

I just don't see how Zajac would be a yes only if he won something but winning doesn't matter for others. Meanwhile Brylin won 3 here but still doesn't get any recognition. I'm alone in thinking there is no consistency. There doesn't seem to be a standard criteria being applied across the board.