The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I just don't see how Zajac would be a yes only if he won something but winning doesn't matter for others. Meanwhile Brylin won 3 here but still doesn't get any recognition. I'm alone in thinking there is no consistency. There doesn't seem to be a standard criteria being applied across the board. 

Winning a Cup should not be the standard for retiring a guy’s number. Longevity, dedication to the team, and on-ice performance are all relevant criteria. 

Do I think they should retire Zajac’s number? No. Would I protest it if they did? Also no. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well, I'll carry the unpopular opinion then.

Devils advocate:

Does that mean we can retire Zajac's number? The argument I see here all the time is we never won anything while he was here, so no, but he can go in the Ring of Honor.

He's 4th in all time games played with 1024, tied for 3rd all time goals/points with 202/550. I get he isn't as important as Lundqvist was to NYR, since he really carried them, but seems a bit unfair to say no to Zajac because no cup/winning but Lundqvist gets a resounding yes despite never winning anything. You could argue plenty of the years Zajac invested here the team/management failed him too.

This is not a great argument.  It's not apples to apples at all.  

I liked Zajac a lot, but Lundqvist was a top player at his position for many years.  Won a Vezina and was in the Top 3 in voting five times.  Zajac was a solid intangibles guy who could contribute some offense here and there, but outside of two seasons where he clicked with Langs and Parise, he never cracked so much as 20 goals or 50 points in any other season.  

I actually asked this question a while back on here, if Zajac would be a worthy candidate to have his number retired, and the consensus was absolutely not.  And as much as I like Zajac, that consensus is correct.  He's a nice player and a good soldier who was able to stay healthy enough to compile his way into some solid milestone numbers, and he'll always be remembered fondly by most Devils fans who saw his whole career, but looking at the numbers currently up in the rafters, he shouldn't be up there with them.  

Lundqvist's first 11 years were really friggin' good...he'd get into the HHoF on those numbers alone.  He's a great player.  He was a great Ranger...largely because of his play, the Rangers reached two Conference Finals and one SC Final in a four-year stretch.  Not all of the greats wind up winning Cups.  Doesn't mean he wasn't great, or less worthy of a jersey retirement.

27 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I just don't see how Zajac would be a yes only if he won something but winning doesn't matter for others. Meanwhile Brylin won 3 here but still doesn't get any recognition. I'm alone in thinking there is no consistency. There doesn't seem to be a standard criteria being applied across the board. 

It's not like there's some checklist for jersey retirements, and even if there was, it's also not like "Must have won a Cup" must be on it.  Shane Doan's #19 was retired by the Yotes.  Think Marleau's #12 is getting retired by the Sharks?  In Lundqvist's case, he played all of his games for the Rangers, was a big reason that they were in the hunt for a Cup for a while, and we've already been over the rest.  He was a great Ranger.  Zajac was a nice Devil, who was plenty likable and popular, but if his number goes up to the rafters, then the Devils are lowering the bar pretty significantly.  Those first five were all special and none could be disputed, and that's the idea. 

I like Brylin too, but he was really was more of a "In the right place at the right time" kind of player...he had his moments, but I would never overstate his impact on the Devils.  It's great that he was here for all three Cups, that he spent his entire career here, and he should get some recognition, sure...but nothing more than a Ring of Honor mention, if that ever becomes a thing again.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Retiring numbers is a team/franchise decision.  If the Rangers threshold is lower than the Devils, that is there business.  However, I do think Lundqvist is worthy of having his jersey retired.

As for about no more Ring of Honor nights, that 100% was done for $ and nothing else.  Plus IIRC, the game wasn't even sold out so there went that idea.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is not a great argument.  It's not apples to apples at all.  

I liked Zajac a lot, but Lundqvist was a top player at his position for many years.  Won a Vezina and was in the Top 3 in voting five times.  Zajac was a solid intangibles guy who could contribute some offense here and there, but outside of two seasons where he clicked with Langs and Parise, he never cracked so much as 20 goals or 50 points in any other season.  

I actually asked this question a while back on here, if Zajac would be a worthy candidate to have his number retired, and the consensus was absolutely not.  And as much as I like Zajac, that consensus is correct.  He's a nice player and a good soldier who was able to stay healthy enough to compile his way into some solid milestone numbers, and he'll always be remembered fondly by most Devils fans who saw his whole career, but looking at the numbers currently up in the rafters, he shouldn't be up there with them.  

Lundqvist's first 11 years were really friggin' good...he'd get into the HHoF on those numbers alone.  He's a great player.  He was a great Ranger...largely because of his play, the Rangers reached two Conference Finals and one SC Final in a four-year stretch.  Not all of the greats wind up winning Cups.  Doesn't mean he wasn't great, or less worthy of a jersey retirement.

It's not like there's some checklist for jersey retirements, and even if there was, it's also not like "Must have won a Cup" must be on it.  Shane Doan's #19 was retired by the Yotes.  Think Marleau's #12 is getting retired by the Sharks?  In Lundqvist's case, he played all of his games for the Rangers, was a big reason that they were in the hunt for a Cup for a while, and we've already been over the rest.  He was a great Ranger.  Zajac was a nice Devil, who was plenty likable and popular, but if his number goes up to the rafters, then the Devils are lowering the bar pretty significantly.  Those first five were all special and none could be disputed, and that's the idea. 

I like Brylin too, but he was really was more of a "In the right place at the right time" kind of player...he had his moments, but I would never overstate his impact on the Devils.  It's great that he was here for all three Cups, that he spent his entire career here, and he should get some recognition, sure...but nothing more than a Ring of Honor mention, if that ever becomes a thing again.     

I'm not trying to make an argument comparing Zajac to Lundqvist directly. I'm aware they aren't in the same strata of player. I'm asking a question about what the criteria is for jersey retirement and how important winning really is. If people here say Zajac could be retired if he won something, like he is that good that  if he had just won something it would be a no brainer, then why does Hank get a day 1 retirement announcement but Brylin gets squat but he had 3 cups.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Retiring numbers is a team/franchise decision.  If the Rangers threshold is lower than the Devils, that is there business.  However, I do think Lundqvist is worthy of having his jersey retired.

As for about no more Ring of Honor nights, that 100% was done for $ and nothing else.  Plus IIRC, the game wasn't even sold out so there went that idea.

I think DevsMan84's answer is the best in that it is up to the franchise and what "feels" right and there is no equation. 

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Well, I'll carry the unpopular opinion then.

Devils advocate:

Does that mean we can retire Zajac's number? The argument I see here all the time is we never won anything while he was here, so no, but he can go in the Ring of Honor.

He's 4th in all time games played with 1024, tied for 3rd all time goals/points with 202/550. I get he isn't as important as Lundqvist was to NYR, since he really carried them, but seems a bit unfair to say no to Zajac because no cup/winning but Lundqvist gets a resounding yes despite never winning anything. You could argue plenty of the years Zajac invested here the team/management failed him too.

Bro- Lundqvist is a HOF’er. If you are a HOF’er and arguably the best player at a position in the history of (a really fvcking old) franchise, you deserve to have your jersey retired. You can’t compare Lundqvist to Zajac, it’s apples to grapes lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bro- Lundqvist is a HOF’er. If you are a HOF’er and arguably the best player at a position in the history of (a really fvcking old) franchise, you deserve to have your jersey retired. You can’t compare Lundqvist to Zajac, it’s apples to grapes lol.

Bro-- My response in my other post to CR:

50 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not trying to make an argument comparing Zajac to Lundqvist directly. I'm aware they aren't in the same strata of player. I'm asking a question about what the criteria is for jersey retirement and how important winning really is. If people here say Zajac could be retired if he won something, like he is that good that  if he had just won something it would be a no brainer, then why does Hank get a day 1 retirement announcement but Brylin gets squat but he had 3 cups.

EDIT: To which DevsMan basically said it's to each their own.  In my estimation winning is important since that is the entire reason you play, but to each their own.

Edited by NJDevils1214

36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Sounds good to me.  Just don't put me in charge of correctly using there, their and they're as it looks like I screwed the pooch in my post.  Ouch:(

One of the teachers at my wife’s school used to teach her class the difference by letting the students quiz my wife, who can almost never get it right if you put pressure on her lol. 

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Have to agree, and it’s not even especially close. Lundqvist was a 2 time all star and 5 times a top-3 Vezina finalist (he won once). 

Travis was a nice player who stayed relatively healthy and contributed a little. 

Not anywhere near the same. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I think a Brylin, etc etc night for a ring of honor would definitely move more tickets than McMullen. Sold out? Definitely not but most fans, even the most die hard fans would be more interested in a former player than a former owner who wasn't even alive for the ceremony and wasn't loved by everyone since the older fan base seem to have had a love/hate relationship with him because of his threats of moving the team to Nashville. 

Personally I'm glad he failed at getting an arena in Hoboken done. I know people bitch and moan about the traffic at times in Newark even though I rarely ever have issues but Hoboken would have been an absolute disaster for those of us who drive to games.

Edited by Satans Hockey