Jump to content

The 2021 Offseason Thread


jagknife
 Share

Recommended Posts

A power play w Hamilton quarterbacking, and Tarasenko sniping goals has me thinking how truly awful our power play has been for so long.

Remember, our 5v5 play was decent last year. We landed in the standings where we did because of special teams. We improve that significantly and we are playoff-bound.

The Dougie signing also takes work load off of Severson and Subban. Maybe that extra capacity helps them on the penalty kill. Graves for sure will help on the PK with his shot blocking.

Add in the continued development of our young core and this team will compete.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

 

#caphellisonlyamyth

Man, Sakic has gone from king of the GMs to looking really bad this off-season - The mess with Landeskog, losing their starting goalie, trading away a first and Timmins for the very average Kuemper, and now losing Saad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

 

#caphellisonlyamyth

Tbf MB3 asked for an example of a team losing one of their absolute best players. What’s Saad, maybe the 5th best on that Avs team (MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog)? 

Edited by Nicomo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Tbf MB3 asked for an example of a team losing one of their absybest players. What’s Saad, maybe the 5th best on that Avs team (MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen, Landeskog)? 

and i provided that pointing out Vegas losing Fleury who literally just won the vezina for them and there's even a full interview video of Kelly McCrimmon, explaining how the trade went down, the communication he had with Fleury, why the news got out before they could tell him and why he was traded and sure enough, the cap and them having to shed his salary to be able to make other moves was the reason. Bam.

And even then, you don't need to lose a top top player to be in cap hell. There's many scenarios of cap hell.

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

and i provided that pointing out Vegas losing Fleury who literally just won the vezina for them and there's even a full interview video of Kelly McCrimmon, explaining how the trade went down, the communication he had with Fleury, why the news got out before they could tell him and why he was traded and sure enough, the cap and them having to shed his salary to be able to make other moves was the reason. Bam. 

Eh, not the strongest example of a core player really considering he’s 36 years old. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, Zajac hasn’t been a 20 goal scorer in over a decade. Saad otoh has been 5x since 2015. And it would have been 6 if not for the shortened season last year. A guy that can score goals and play on the top line is a much bigger priority to me than 3C. Not that it would really be an either or situation. 

You could make the argument that he was never a prototypical "20 goal scorer", he did it twice playing with Parise on his wing, while Parise had his two career years in terms of scoring. I think Zajac's numbers those years were artificially inflated, which is supported by the fact that he went immediately down to 13 goals the next year playing without Parise (due to his injury) and he didn't score 20 in his first two and last eleven seasons. 

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

Man, Sakic has gone from king of the GMs to looking really bad this off-season - The mess with Landeskog, losing their starting goalie, trading away a first and Timmins for the very average Kuemper, and now losing Saad. 

Over the past few seasons, Kuemper has been pretty good. Definitely above average

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

 

#caphellisonlyamyth

I think you don't see a difference between a salary cap and "salary cap hell". Nobody is in "hell" over losing Brandon Saad. Does the cap prevent a team from having every player they want? Sure. 

Does not being able to sign Saad because you have MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Makar and Maltsev count as "hell"? I think not. 

 

Edit: Yes, I put Maltsev in there for comedy. 

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, not the strongest example of a core player really considering he’s 36 years old. 

Yeah but its also not the strongest logic that you can only prove cap hell exist if you lose a young core player. That's a very flawed way to look at it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you don't see a difference between a salary cap and "salary cap hell". Nobody is in "hell" over losing Brandon Saad. Does the cap prevent a team from having every player they want? Sure. 

Does not being able to sign Saad because you have MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Makar and Maltsev count as "hell"? I think not. 

 

Edit: Yes, I put Maltsev in there for comedy. 

i know the difference. And i can see this conversations turning into nitpicking semantics as if it's actually disproving anything. A cap hell scenario exist and has been used by analyst and in sports community for awhile. To deny it cause it doesn't fit your own narrow view of it doesn't prove anything.

It can be that you have many veterans way past their prime not contributing anymore and you can't move them. So you can't get good depth enough to compensate and can't spend more on other things. There's many scenarios.

its used in all sports, why are we denying it? lol

 1427267731_ScreenShot2021-07-29at12_16_24PM.thumb.png.acf4b8b5206e5f2a1306e9a9cdc161e7.png

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Zajac thing... A few of the trackers say the Devils signed Brian Flynn, former Canadien and Sabre. He was playing in the National League in Switzerland last year. Most likely a Utica guy who may try to push for the 4th line. 

We also signed Chase De Leon who was a point per game player in the AHL for the Gulls but can't seem to make it work in the NHL. 

Both are centers so I wonder if the team is looking to use McLeod on the 3rd line and see if one of these guys fits on the 4th. 

I'd prefer they keep Zacha on the wing. He just does better there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

On the Zajac thing... A few of the trackers say the Devils signed Brian Flynn, former Canadien and Sabre. He was playing in the National League in Switzerland last year. Most likely a Utica guy who may try to push for the 4th line. 

We also signed Chase De Leon who was a point per game player in the AHL for the Gulls but can't seem to make it work in the NHL. 

Both are centers so I wonder if the team is looking to use McLeod on the 3rd line and see if one of these guys fits on the 4th. 

I'd prefer they keep Zacha on the wing. He just does better there. 

id also want to land a 3rd line center so that mcleod stays on the 4th and doesnt do more than he should. unless he really deserve the 3rd line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

On the Zajac thing... A few of the trackers say the Devils signed Brian Flynn, former Canadien and Sabre. He was playing in the National League in Switzerland last year. Most likely a Utica guy who may try to push for the 4th line. 

We also signed Chase De Leon who was a point per game player in the AHL for the Gulls but can't seem to make it work in the NHL. 

Both are centers so I wonder if the team is looking to use McLeod on the 3rd line and see if one of these guys fits on the 4th. 

I'd prefer they keep Zacha on the wing. He just does better there. 

I’d imagine Boqvist will get a shot before either of those guys. It took McLeod until he was the age Boqvist is now to really look like an NHL player so who knows. I’m not giving up on him yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d imagine Boqvist will get a shot before either of those guys. It took McLeod until he was the age Boqvist is now to really look like an NHL player so who knows. I’m not giving up on him yet. 

I was thinking of other centers and totally forgot Boqvist. It would be really great for him to make a jump this year like McLeod did last year 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I was thinking of other centers and totally forgot Boqvist. It would be really great for him to make a jump this year like McLeod did last year 

 

Boqvist and Siegenthaler coming out with huge years would be huge for us. I feel like both are seen like "okay guys filling the gap for now" but if they could become something, we'd be talkin'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i know the difference. And i can see this conversations turning into nitpicking semantics as if it's actually disproving anything. A cap hell scenario exist and has been used by analyst and in sports community for awhile. To deny it cause it doesn't fit your own narrow view of it doesn't prove anything.

It can be that you have many veterans way past their prime not contributing anymore and you can't move them. So you can't get good depth enough to compensate and can't spend more on other things. There's many scenarios.

its used in all sports, why are we denying it? lol

 1427267731_ScreenShot2021-07-29at12_16_24PM.thumb.png.acf4b8b5206e5f2a1306e9a9cdc161e7.png

I don't agree at all, not being able to spend on other things is not cap hell, that's just a salary cap. If you had to lose a core player, like if they had to choose between Makar, MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog, sure, that's cap hell.

Losing any player at all because you are at the cap is not the same thing that anyone (other than you) is talking about. It's been made clear that those of us who say it doesn't exist feel teams don't lose their core pieces due to salary cap and moves are always made to preserve the core, and you keep trying to roll out examples that just don't fit the bill. 

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d imagine Boqvist will get a shot before either of those guys. It took McLeod until he was the age Boqvist is now to really look like an NHL player so who knows. I’m not giving up on him yet. 

This is the only reason I am not on the Boqvist Sucks train already. But let's just say I have bought my ticket and I am waiting on the platform lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

 

#caphellisonlyamyth

lol they are cutting loose their most expendable player who, in your own words, scores "meh" goals.

47 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

TSN reports it's official

 

NJ has signed C Brian Flynn 1yr/750k

 

 

image.jpeg.a9bb47d484bd2b754ec3b48b53ae02f6.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol they are cutting loose their most expendable player who, in your own words, scores "meh" goals.

This is what I’m saying, that’s not “cap hell”, that’s just “cap”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is what I’m saying, that’s not “cap hell”, that’s just “cap”. 

It's working with the cap.  Cap Hell is when you have to part with a core piece to stay under the cap.  For Colorado that would be someone like MacK, Rantanen, Makar, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lets just all agree to call it cap heck. 

It’s like wanting to buy Michael J. Fox’s purple underwear from Back To The Future, but you can’t because you spent all of your money buying his auto-lacing sneakers and a full scale DeLorean. You missed out on the underpants but you still have way cooler stuff in your collection, so maybe you don’t need the place where his balls were resting. 

  • Shocking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I’d imagine Boqvist will get a shot before either of those guys. It took McLeod until he was the age Boqvist is now to really look like an NHL player so who knows. I’m not giving up on him yet. 

Absolutely. Boqvist looked like he was figuring it out second half of last season. He can absolutely be an effective piece this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.