The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Alrighty there little miss attitude.

The truth is he’s not on the open market, so who gives a sh!t. He got more money than Heiskanen and Makar despite being older than both and worse than both. It’s a bad contract because it’s a significant overpayment on a player who’s rights they owned in a flat cap. 

Period.

God. Guys. It`s hard when you don`t read each other. 
This is his price now. Bad or good, this is the price. If you not pay, he will gone and take that money. Market approved. They don't have anything close in the system that would look like a real true #1 defenseman, only Nurse.
Btw He did score more than Makar and Miro, take more points than Miro. He did double hits than both, tripple blocked shots  Makar and double Miro. I know, names are cool, but Nurse was solid past years. But this is how market works. This is not a great deal, but this is market deal.
This is reality and when we will be in the same situation, no one wil ask some forum guys, does our players sound greatly like "MMA-KAAAAR" to give them 9 mil per year. Pelech did take 5.75 for 14 points. Nurse scores 16 goals.  It`s time to live with that, MB3. You can scream as loud as you can "Period" word, but this can cause blood to bleed. From the nose. Pressure. You shouldn't do that. Flat cap isn`t an argument no more. Because of market and last deals.

Btw it will hurt oilers and it`s great. Hope devils will find ways to sign resonable deals and trade some piecies we actually can replace.

12 minutes ago, Guadana said:

God. Guys. It`s hard when you don`t read each other. 
This is his price now. Bad or good, this is the price. If you not pay, he will gone and take that money. Market approved. They don't have anything close in the system that would look like a real true #1 defenseman, only Nurse.
Btw He did score more than Makar and Miro, take more points than Miro. He did double hits than both, tripple blocked shots  Makar and double Miro. I know, names are cool, but Nurse was solid past years. But this is how market works. This is not a great deal, but this is market deal.
This is reality and when we will be in the same situation, no one wil ask some forum guys, does our players sound greatly like "MMA-KAAAAR" to give them 9 mil per year. Pelech did take 5.75 for 14 points. Nurse scores 16 goals.  It`s time to live with that, MB3. You can scream as loud as you can "Period" word, but this can cause blood to bleed. From the nose. Pressure. You shouldn't do that. Flat cap isn`t an argument no more. Because of market and last deals.

Btw it will hurt oilers and it`s great. Hope devils will find ways to sign resonable deals and trade some piecies we actually can replace.

I’m sorry man I gave this like three thorough reads and I don’t know what on earth your point is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i guess we may be linked in Reilly smith according to the fourth period.

Weird

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was from like almost two weeks ago though lol 

And before Tuch ended up needing surgery. I wouldn’t mind Smith at all, he fell off a little last year but still can score and set up plays. Was critical on the misfit line with him, Karlsson and Marchessault

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jagknife said:

And before Tuch ended up needing surgery. I wouldn’t mind Smith at all, he fell off a little last year but still can score and set up plays. Was critical on the misfit line with him, Karlsson and Marchessault

Yeah i just think he's an odd guy to target for a trade out of anyone in the league.

I mean personally i still like to see who your GM is targeting even if its not leading anywhere. You can at least see what they are going for.

So we targeted Tarasenko, Saad, Smith, Tatar... so obviously we're targeting wingers but they are still different type of players. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean I'm with you, but... It's a big jump from garbage bottom feeders to bubble team.

That said, Dougie + Tatar + Graves might be enough to easily get us there.

I think you can kind of add Hischier to that equation as well.   He basically missed the entire year.  

I’m really optimistic about the improvement in the team we’re going to see this year.with a healthy Hischier and Bratt from the start, dougie pushing the rest of the right D down a slot and Zacha being moved full time to LW, Etc.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I think it’s a good time to take a run at dahlin. Buffalo doesn’t know what they’re doing. 

Problem is, they were able to make Philly look absolutely stupid with the Risto trade, so Kevyn Adams got one thing right during his tenure. He's been behind the 8-ball since birth when his parents decided to be unique and spell his name wrong, poor bastard, its been an uphill battle since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Problem is, they were able to make Philly look absolutely stupid with the Risto trade, so Kevyn Adams got one thing right during his tenure. He's been behind the 8-ball since birth when his parents decided to be unique and spell his name wrong, poor bastard, its been an uphill battle since.

He way underachieved on the Reinhart trade though... And to a division rival too. 

New Jersey Devils – 66.00

I do not hide my affinity for the Devils’ young core and they were one of the biggest movers up the board going from 81.00 to 66.00. They added Dougie Hamilton, the prize of this year’s free agent class, a dependable 1B in Jonathan Bernier and acquired a dependable defenseman in Ryan Graves. I think the Metro is pretty wide open, and they’ll have a healthy Nico Hischier forming a fantastic 1-2 punch down the middle with Jack Hughes. If you’re looking at a team that is very much a long shot but could go on a historic Cinderella run, the Devils would be fun to follow. 

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/updated-stanley-cup-odds-for-2021-22?fbclid=IwAR1PPgvegD9bAovflTxeRNav5sei5kqgAY2InPTbs4bcF-vyxU7yIAdk2r4

• Like 7

I heard that Kessel wants out of PHX. I’d rather the Devils look into that rather than Tarasenko if Fitz is planning another move. I know it would cost more to acquire him but he’d look nice on the first line.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I heard that Kessel wants out of PHX. I’d rather the Devils look into that rather than Tarasenko if Fitz is planning another move. I know it would cost more to acquire him but he’d look nice on the first line.

Opposite end of the scale from Tarasenko on the fitness front. Hardly ever misses a game and can certainly score. Would he be part of the team for more than a season or two? Probably not, so not worth giving up assets for.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

Check out 2019-20…his offensive numbers were pretty bad.  He shot over 17% last season, which makes his 2020-21 look better than it was.  Don’t really need to see him continue to decline here.

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Check out 2019-20…his offensive numbers were pretty bad.  He shot over 17% last season, which makes his 2020-21 look better than it was.  Don’t really need to see him continue to decline here.

His 2019-20 numbers would’ve been third on our team that year, and last years numbers were improved over that. 0.76 points per game last season, and that’s just below his career average of 0.80. 

I don’t know if I take shooting 17% as a negative. I get what you are saying, but I wouldn’t mind a guy with a 17% shooting percentage on Jack or Nico’s wing. 

The guy has done nothing but produce his entire career and he gets clowned because he’s chubby. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Opposite end of the scale from Tarasenko on the fitness front. Hardly ever misses a game and can certainly score. Would he be part of the team for more than a season or two? Probably not, so not worth giving up assets for.

It's because of all the donuts he eats

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

His 2019-20 numbers would’ve been third on our team that year, and last years numbers were improved over that. 0.76 points per game last season, and that’s just below his career average of 0.80. 

I don’t know if I take shooting 17% as a negative. I get what you are saying, but I wouldn’t mind a guy with a 17% shooting percentage on Jack or Nico’s wing. 

The guy has done nothing but produce his entire career and he gets clowned because he’s chubby. 

He’s about an 11% shooter for his career.  Last year was an aberration.

He’s had a fine career for sure, and I wasn’t trying to imply that he hasn’t been productive in the past, and I didn’t say a word about his appearance.  I’m just not so sure that the balance of the past two seasons suggests that he’ll be all that productive in the future.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s about an 11% shooter for his career.  Last year was an aberration.

He’s had a fine career for sure, and I wasn’t trying to imply that he hasn’t been productive in the past, and I didn’t say a word about his appearance.  I’m just not so sure that the balance of the past two seasons suggests that he’ll be all that productive in the future.  

No, you didn’t say anything about his appearance, didn’t mean to imply that. 

I’m not sure this past season should be included in your criticism though. The high shooting percentage could be an aberration. So too could the one bad season he’s had in his entire career. 

81 points over 126 GP the past two seasons.  Just not so sure he’ll be close to what he was.  Seems like a guy on the decline to me.  Guess with the offseason Fitz has had, I rather not end it with an “If” kind of acquisition.  

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

81 points over 126 GP the past two seasons.  Just not so sure he’ll be close to what he was.  Seems like a guy on the decline to me.  Guess with the offseason Fitz has had, I rather not end it with an “If” kind of acquisition.  

My counter position would be that it’s a “worth a shot” acquisition. Worse comes to worse, he’s gone at the trade deadline. 

The question becomes, then, what would be the cost to acquire him? As hesitant as I was to give anything of value for Tarasenko because of the risk involved, Phil would have to be available cheap to make the deal worth doing. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My counter position would be that it’s a “worth a shot” acquisition. Worse comes to worse, he’s gone at the trade deadline. 

The question becomes, then, what would be the cost to acquire him? As hesitant as I was to give anything of value for Tarasenko because of the risk involved, Phil would have to be available cheap to make the deal worth doing. 

If Holtz, Mercer, Foote, etc develop as we hope though, how long would Kessell be needed for? Not for more than a couple of seasons at most, so he'd have to be very cheap to make it worthwhile, imo.

13 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

If Holtz, Mercer, Foote, etc develop as we hope though, how long would Kessell be needed for? Not for more than a couple of seasons at most, so he'd have to be very cheap to make it worthwhile, imo.

I would think you'd go the other way and make it more expensive but on a much shorter term deal. That way when those guys are actually ready you can dump Kessel at the deadline or, if you can't, just don't re-sign him. Either way he's off the books. Same with Terasenko. 

22 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I would think you'd go the other way and make it more expensive but on a much shorter term deal. That way when those guys are actually ready you can dump Kessel at the deadline or, if you can't, just don't re-sign him. Either way he's off the books. Same with Terasenko. 

Kessel isn’t a free agent, he’s still got a year left on his contract. The cost would be what you trade, and he would only be here a year, barring any extension. He’s be a veteran with a proven track record filling a hole until the other guys (hopefully) are ready. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If Tarasenko will stay healthy and productive, someone will pay pretty good enough for him(with salary retain ofcourse). For now Tarasenko price goin lower. Risky, but an opportunity to make surcharge on resale. And we will have two opportunities\seasons  to sell him. Kessel can leave for the same price, in the best case. And his price is higher for us.
Dont forget, I`m russian, but jew.

Edited by Guadana

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

If Tarasenko will stay healthy and productive, someone will pay pretty good enough for him(with salary retain ofcourse). For now Tarasenko price goin lower. Risky, but an opportunity to make surcharge on resale. And we will have two opportunities\seasons  to sell him. Kessel can leave for the same price, maximum. And his price is higher for us.
Dont forget, I`m russian, but jew.

As we say in the States, that’s a big “if”.