The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bro- Lundqvist is a HOF’er. If you are a HOF’er and arguably the best player at a position in the history of (a really fvcking old) franchise, you deserve to have your jersey retired. You can’t compare Lundqvist to Zajac, it’s apples to grapes lol.

Bro-- My response in my other post to CR:

50 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not trying to make an argument comparing Zajac to Lundqvist directly. I'm aware they aren't in the same strata of player. I'm asking a question about what the criteria is for jersey retirement and how important winning really is. If people here say Zajac could be retired if he won something, like he is that good that  if he had just won something it would be a no brainer, then why does Hank get a day 1 retirement announcement but Brylin gets squat but he had 3 cups.

EDIT: To which DevsMan basically said it's to each their own.  In my estimation winning is important since that is the entire reason you play, but to each their own.

Edited by NJDevils1214

36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Sounds good to me.  Just don't put me in charge of correctly using there, their and they're as it looks like I screwed the pooch in my post.  Ouch:(

One of the teachers at my wife’s school used to teach her class the difference by letting the students quiz my wife, who can almost never get it right if you put pressure on her lol. 

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bro- Lundqvist is a HOF’er. If you are a HOF’er and arguably the best player at a position in the history of (a really fvcking old) franchise, you deserve to have your jersey retired. You can’t compare Lundqvist to Zajac, it’s apples to grapes lol.

Have to agree, and it’s not even especially close. Lundqvist was a 2 time all star and 5 times a top-3 Vezina finalist (he won once). 

Travis was a nice player who stayed relatively healthy and contributed a little. 

Not anywhere near the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lol not that he needs any more piling on; but there was a 6-7 year stretch where you could legitimately make the argument that Lundqvist was the best in the game at his position. I’m certain there isn’t a 6-7 year stretch you can make the argument zajac was the best on his own team at his position lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Bro-- My response in my other post to CR:

EDIT: To which DevsMan basically said it's to each their own.  In my estimation winning is important since that is the entire reason you play, but to each their own.

Saw your reply here. What are your thoughts on Dan Marino? Patrick Ewing? Ken Griffey Jr? Charles Barkley? 

Hell, Ty Cobb and Tony Gwynn are two of the unmistakable all time greats and they have no hardware. It’s a team sport, that’s a needless way to gate keep. 

On 8/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Retiring numbers is a team/franchise decision.  If the Rangers threshold is lower than the Devils, that is there business.  However, I do think Lundqvist is worthy of having his jersey retired.

As for about no more Ring of Honor nights, that 100% was done for $ and nothing else.  Plus IIRC, the game wasn't even sold out so there went that idea.

I think a Brylin, etc etc night for a ring of honor would definitely move more tickets than McMullen. Sold out? Definitely not but most fans, even the most die hard fans would be more interested in a former player than a former owner who wasn't even alive for the ceremony and wasn't loved by everyone since the older fan base seem to have had a love/hate relationship with him because of his threats of moving the team to Nashville. 

Personally I'm glad he failed at getting an arena in Hoboken done. I know people bitch and moan about the traffic at times in Newark even though I rarely ever have issues but Hoboken would have been an absolute disaster for those of us who drive to games.

Edited by Satans Hockey

13 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

Do the Devils only have Hughes jereseys? 

Even more lame than the draft night lameness. Come on Devils. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I know but I think a meme was born out of it 🤣

It’s the only explanation I can accept at this point!

• Haha 1

Speaking of Stillman, remind me how this works. Luke is returning to Michigan. Do we sign him but it doesn’t kick in until he is playing pro hockey? 

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Speaking of Stillman, remind me how this works. Luke is returning to Michigan. Do we sign him but it doesn’t kick in until he is playing pro hockey? 

that is exactly how it works. this avoids the tricky “unsigned for 2 years so now he can pick where he wants to play” thing

• Like 3

The Devils can sign Stillman and it will toll for two years, ie the ELC doesnt start unless he is in the NHL for more than 9 games, or is out of junior eligibility.

They can't sign Hughes until he is ready to leave Michigan, it will terminate his NCAA eligibility the moment pen hits paper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sarge18 said:

The Devils can sign Stillman and it will toll for two years, ie the ELC doesnt start unless he is in the NHL for more than 9 games, or is out of junior eligibility.

They can't sign Hughes until he is ready to leave Michigan, it will terminate his NCAA eligibility the moment pen hits paper.

So what I read regarding college players that were drafted was as follows:

In general, the club retains his contract rights until Aug. 15 following the graduation of his college class as long as he remains in school.

If a college-drafted player leaves school early, the club holds his rights until June 1 four years after he was drafted.

For college players who were drafted at age 20, they are eligible to become a free agent after two years.

So I guess we don’t sign him until he’s done with college. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

So what I read regarding college players that were drafted was as follows:

In general, the club retains his contract rights until Aug. 15 following the graduation of his college class as long as he remains in school.

If a college-drafted player leaves school early, the club holds his rights until June 1 four years after he was drafted.

For college players who were drafted at age 20, they are eligible to become a free agent after two years.

So I guess we don’t sign him until he’s done with college. 

That’s correct in regard to Devils retaining his NHL rights, which is a separate topic from the NCAA rules.

Realistically it is in the Devils best interest to let him play 2 years of NCAA before bringing him pro.