The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Seth Jones is nowhere near as good as he'll be paid to be; but my God do I want the Devils to be the ones overpaying him.

Right, in the scheme of guys we could be overpaying, he’s the kind we need. 

• Like 4

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-whats-next-seth-jones-blue-jackets/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true 2. Let’s get into some other news of the week. The Draft Lottery is Wednesday and I’d expect conversation picks up once we know where everyone’s slotted. Columbus will be one to watch now that Seth Jones has informed the Blue Jackets he will not sign an extension at this time and plans to test free agency, as is his right. Two years ago, they held onto Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin in the same circumstances. That was the correct call because the Blue Jackets were at their best, and owed their fans a run to reward them for all the support. I would have done the same thing. 

This is different. The team is coming off a hard season, and their identity is changing. It’s time to build something new, and the return for Jones will be a big part of that. It’s a complex transaction, because unless someone is willing to give up a major package for Jones as a rental, this is essentially a trade and free agency at the same time. But he’s a hell of a player, greatly respected, and there will be a ton of interest. 

I had no idea the lottery was Wednesday. Shows the lack of hype this year.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-whats-next-seth-jones-blue-jackets/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true 2. Let’s get into some other news of the week. The Draft Lottery is Wednesday and I’d expect conversation picks up once we know where everyone’s slotted. Columbus will be one to watch now that Seth Jones has informed the Blue Jackets he will not sign an extension at this time and plans to test free agency, as is his right. Two years ago, they held onto Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin in the same circumstances. That was the correct call because the Blue Jackets were at their best, and owed their fans a run to reward them for all the support. I would have done the same thing. 

This is different. The team is coming off a hard season, and their identity is changing. It’s time to build something new, and the return for Jones will be a big part of that. It’s a complex transaction, because unless someone is willing to give up a major package for Jones as a rental, this is essentially a trade and free agency at the same time. But he’s a hell of a player, greatly respected, and there will be a ton of interest. 

I had no idea the lottery was Wednesday. Shows the lack of hype this year.

No idea it was this Wednesday either. Pretty big day to fly under the radar

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jagknife said:

I am so freaking happy the Leafs choked, again. God it’s a thing of beauty.

I honestly don't know what they have to do now. I know they were missing their captain and leader but they still had a better roster than MTL even without Tavares. Their key guys just didn't get sh!t done. Nylander was amazing and all over the place. But if you're a GM you have to wonder what the fvck do you need to do to get this team to get to the next level, i thought foligno was a good move for that but.

I guess this year a big problem was that they cruise through the season in a very sh!tty division and didn't really face much adversity. And team who had to grind and get points at the end of the season just to get in were already in playoffs mode for awhile. We've seen this happen many many times

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I honestly don't know what they have to do now. I know they were missing their captain and leader but they still had a better roster than MTL even without Tavares. Their key guys just didn't get sh!t done. Nylander was amazing and all over the place. But if you're a GM you have to wonder what the fvck do you need to do to get this team to get to the next level, i thought foligno was a good move for that but.

I guess this year a big problem was that they cruise through the season in a very sh!tty division and didn't really face much adversity. And team who had to grind and get points at the end of the season just to get in were already in playoffs mode for awhile. We've seen this happen many many times

In fairness, the Leafs were up 3-1 and had outscored the Canadiens 12-4 in those games.  Seemed like they were at least ready to go initially.  They also did fight back to send Games 5 and 6 (they trailed in both, by multiple goals) into OT.

But I can't go too crazy in trying to defend them...the fact is, at some point, they gotta find some way, any way, to get over the hump.  Taking opening series to the max number of games (they've done this five straight years now) just to lose only buys so much currency.  I posted about this in another thread, but they can really change the identity of the team if they want to...12 players go UFA, and you wonder if they would even consider moving one of the big guys, to shake things up.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, the Leafs were up 3-1 and had outscored the Canadiens 12-4 in those games.  Seemed like they were at least ready to go initially.  They also did fight back to send Games 5 and 6 (they trailed in both, by multiple goals) into OT.

But I can't go too crazy in trying to defend them...the fact is, at some point, they gotta find some way, any way, to get over the hump.  Taking opening series to the max number of games (they've done this five straight years now) just to lose only buys so much currency.  I posted about this in another thread, but they can really change the identity of the team if they want to...12 players go UFA, and you wonder if they would even consider moving one of the big guys, to shake things up.

If I’m Toronto, I’m seeing what teams would offer me for Marner. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d be willing to find out. 

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If I'm Columbus, I would probably let them talk to Seth Jones and see if they can hammer out an extension.   Under normal circumstances, I would never want to trade Jones for Marner + but at least the Jackets would have MM locked up for 4 more years.  They can't keep hemorrhaging top end UFAs.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well it goes beyond that. The last 8 times the Leafs were in a position win a game and win a playoffs series... they blew it. And didn't win a playoffs round since 2004.

This year was the year where they really had to have an impact and show progress based on the roster they had.

And i mean it's also fair to point out that missing Tavares is not only a big hit not having him in the lineup. But it also means that your team has a 11m hole in your roster. You can get a lot of depth for 11m

15 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

If I'm Columbus, I would probably let them talk to Seth Jones and see if they can hammer out an extension.   Under normal circumstances, I would never want to trade Jones for Marner + but at least the Jackets would have MM locked up for 4 more years.  They can't keep hemorrhaging top end UFAs.    

Mitch Marner is a wildly more valuable asset than Seth Jones. 

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I agree, I think it would be Seth Jones plus, not the other way around.

I think it’s all academic anyway, because I don’t see any way they would want to trade him.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I disagree with that statement.   I would take one of the 10 best 1D in the league with an extension in place, over Marner in a second.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

Marner probably is worth more because he’s a few years younger, but you just can’t trade for a top pair dman very often. I don’t think it’s as far apart as is being suggested.

I remember Jones in last years playoffs. Monster,  played sh>ton minutes against best players. For my $$, I'd love Jones more than most any other D.  Runs PP, PK!  However, he wouldn't sign in NJ long term. (Although for me I'd think give us immediate upgrade.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I disagree with that statement.   I would take one of the 10 best 1D in the league with an extension in place, over Marner in a second.   

Seth Jones is not a top-10 defenseman in the league holy shikies.

• Shocking 1

Just now, Lateralous said:

My bad.  I thought 7th qualified as top 10 if we’re going by how the players voted.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/still-no-1-connor-mcdavid-tops-top-50-nhl-players-list-for-fourth-straight-year-1.1576126%3ftsn-amp

Imma wait for a chart to tell me who’s best. 

(That’s doing it in context, @SterioDesign!!!)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I remember Jones in last years playoffs. Monster,  played sh>ton minutes against best players. For my $$, I'd love Jones more than most any other D.  Runs PP, PK!  However, he wouldn't sign in NJ long term. (Although for me I'd think give us immediate upgrade.)

Me too but apparently I’m “wildly”overrating him.  It’s not like I watch a ton of Jackets games but when I do he’s almost always a monster.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

All I’m going to say about Seth Jones is he isn’t worth the cost UNLESS there is an extension involved. I don’t even want to talk to them about it if he isn’t willing to lock in long term as part of the deal. 

• Like 1