The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

This has probably been beat to death already but if we get to 4th overall and Luke is off the board - do you call Columbus and see whether that gets you one of Jones or Laine?

Obviously wouldn't have much of a chance to negotiate a potential extension.. 

It isn't like this draft should be Luke or bust for NJ. There's reason to believe the other options are promising as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

A million dollars a year would make or break that deal for you? That’s nuts. 

The answer is obviously “not without an extension” and I can’t see it all coming together fast enough for that to be feasible. 

I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere. 7/8/9, my number is somewhere in there. Closer to 7 than 9 for sure for a one dimensional player, albeit a really good one.

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It isn't like this draft should be Luke or bust for NJ. There's reason to believe the other options are promising as well. 

True, but any player we pick this year is probably at least two or three years out still from sniffing the big leagues right?

We keep talking about our window to compete here, and by the time this pick makes the team you've got Jack, Nico, Smith off their ELCs and other talent on their bridge deals. 

Just saying, a trade for a proven NHLer might make sense.

21 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

True, but any player we pick this year is probably at least two or three years out still from sniffing the big leagues right?

We keep talking about our window to compete here, and by the time this pick makes the team you've got Jack, Nico, Smith off their ELCs and other talent on their bridge deals. 

Given that the Hall, Subban, Palmieri senior core didn’t work out, I don’t think it matters for our window that Jack, Nico etc will be getting paid.  If we get to where we want to be, they’ll become the senior core.   It will be important to win while we have the second wave of Holtz, Mercer and our 4th overall making minimum wage.   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

They're in their early 20s, not pushing 30. Whoever he is, if he takes a couple years, Nico will be 24, Jack will be 22, and the pick will be around 20. The timeline still aligns with the window to compete...we don't have Patrick Kane or some other veteran we need to push the timeline up for.  

12 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

IMO Hughes/Nice are going no where. Fitz is seen in the locker room (talking to Amanda Stein) with  #13 & #86 jerseys right behind him?  

The idea that the Devils would trade foundation players in their early 20s for anyone just mystifies me. When has any team done something like that? The Bruins! And every deal pretty much sucked for them.

We're going to build a team by trading Nico Hischier for Jack Eichel? That doesn't make any sense to me. Hischier was named captain last year. That should tell you what management thinks about him. 

I'm possibly on board for trading for Patrik Laine, but the Devils don't have to trade Nico Hischier to get him, nor should they. Nico may ultimately fail, but it is way too early to pull the plug.

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Agreed. If Hughes is gone Clarke is probably still there. In fact, I kind of think it’s likely to be 1) Power, 2) Beniers, 3) Hughes. Laine would be nice, but this is the draft to come away with a top blue chip prospect for the blue line. 

• Like 1

If Laine wants to play hockey, cool, I’d take him. Problem is he doesn’t give a rats ass about playing consistently or playing for a particular team. Dude barely cares about his own name.

I’m over the real reclamation projects. Hell that’s what a lot of us were fed up with Lou for in his final days. Why is it suddenly okay cause the guy has potential to be great but really couldn’t care less about trying?

11 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I'm possibly on board for trading for Patrik Laine, but the Devils don't have to trade Nico Hischier to get him, nor should they. Nico may ultimately fail, but it is way too early to pull the plug.

Laine is a RFA on Columbus. Blow them out of the water with an offer. Screw giving up our centers

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

If Laine wants to play hockey, cool, I’d take him. Problem is he doesn’t give a rats ass about playing consistently or playing for a particular team. Dude barely cares about his own name.

I’m over the real reclamation projects. Hell that’s what a lot of us were fed up with Lou for in his final days. Why is it suddenly okay cause the guy has potential to be great but really couldn’t care less about trying?

Lou was bringing in 38 year Olds, Laine is young and has out scored everyone on our team by 50% except for last year. he scores 30 Uninterested goals in his sleep.. But im not trading for him im buying

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

If what you say is true, then I would rather not have him. 

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Lou was bringing in 38 year Olds, Laine is young and has out scored everyone on our team by 50% except for last year. he scores 30 Uninterested goals in his sleep.. But im not trading for him im buying

You are trading though. Compensation to get Laine would be either our 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2022 or 2 firsts (2022 and 2023), a 2nd and a 3rd depending on the contract. 

Here is the table for offer sheets.  I can't imagine Kekalainen doesn't match anything in the top or middle tiers here after just trading away Dubois for him.  You would have to go $11m and I personally do not think Laine is worth that much cap % and 4 first rounders.

image.png.e29fd85d6ebb7dbee143d5faeb9e525c.png

34 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You are trading though. Compensation to get Laine would be either our 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2022 or 2 firsts (2022 and 2023), a 2nd and a 3rd depending on the contract. 

My bad , thats ridiculous compensation . I thought it was next years 1st

15 hours ago, jagknife said:

And I am over keeping less talented players because they are "nice guys" and "team players."

This team is starving for goal scorers and Laine fits the bill nicely.  I am not going to say to acquiring him because he lacks some Zajac-esque qualities to his game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Bingo.  I remember when we traded for Mogilny he had the "lazy Russian" wrap on him.  I didn't see too many people complain when he scored 43 goals the following season.

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Here is the table for offer sheets.  I can't imagine Kekalainen doesn't match anything in the top or middle tiers here after just trading away Dubois for him.  You would have to go $11m and I personally do not think Laine is worth that much cap % and 4 first rounders.

image.png.e29fd85d6ebb7dbee143d5faeb9e525c.png

Let's say the Devils offer sheet him for $7-8M a season.  If Laine absolutely doesn't want to play in Columbus, do you think they would get any better offer than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him via trade?  I doubt it.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Let's say the Devils offer sheet him for $7-8M a season.  If Laine absolutely doesn't want to play in Columbus, do you think they would get any better offer than a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him via trade?  I doubt it.

No, in fact I’m not entirely sure that coming off a down year he should even get that kind of return. You have to be banking on last year being the outlier as opposed to a new norm. 

32 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

And I am over keeping less talented players because they are "nice guys" and "team players."

This team is starving for goal scorers and Laine fits the bill nicely.  I am not going to say to acquiring him because he lacks some Zajac-esque qualities to his game.

I’m not saying keep any of our guys outside of Hughes or Nico, but we (collectively) bitch about effort and people not giving a sh!t. Laine has literally worn out his welcome, twice, and frankly I wouldn’t put him on the same plateau as Mogilny, at all.

I may be dilusional, but if I’m giving up “good” assets for a solid player, I’d rather go for someone who doesn’t have a history of not caring.

• Like 2