The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I am not mistaken, he would be UFA eligible after the 2022-23 season because he will have played 7 seasons. 

Rfa. Check capfriendly.

Zacha is one year older and he may played his best season. Even if he turn the corner and this is his new level, he is older anyway and he is worse than Tkachuk.

If they ask less - ok. But Zacha+Holtz or Zacha+4th is a real price for him, they can ask more. Easily. And if they ask, I will give, hope Fitz too. Because this enough of safe Johnsson/Gusev/Siegentahler trades. It doesn’t make us better. It was working with palmieri, it doesn’t work in other cases.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I just double-checked, he is a RFA after 21-22 season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/calgary-flames/matthew-tkachuk-20286/  

Yes. And as I mentioned above, his first UFA Year would be 2023, unless he were signed to a longer term deal that extends into his UFA years. 

So unless he signs a deal that extends well past 2023, that package isn’t worth it. If he signs a 7 or 8 year deal as an RFA, he would be giving up 6-7 UFA years, it’s a different story. 

My concern being he would not want to lock in here, would play out his contract, sign a very short deal as an RFA, and then bounce as a UFA in 2 years. 

Edited by mfitz804

Something we should keep in mind about last season. Sure it was frustrating and all and many wished we could have got more skilled players or sign or trade for someone.

Well, with the upcoming expansion draft... we're already going to lose a player we didn't want to lose like Bastian or borderline okay with losing like Butcher or wtv.

But if we would have landed a better player than those guys.. when we would have lost someone we didnt wanna lose even more. So yeah it was a sh!tty year to go through but when its all said and done i think it was ideal.

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not sure who you had in mind, but there are plenty of better players that if we had them, I wouldn’t give a sh!t about losing Bastian. Consider it a straight up trade, would be no issue 

i think you missed the point. Right now, with the players we have... the "worst case" is losing bastian and the best case is losing Johnsson. But if we'd have just one better forwards. It means we'd have to either expose him or one of Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, McLeod, Kuookannen, wood or hischier.

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i think you missed the point. Right now, with the players we have... the "worst case" is losing bastian and the best case is losing Johnsson. But if we'd have just one better forwards. It means we'd have to either expose him or one of Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, McLeod, Kuookannen, wood or hischier.

I think you missed the point. If we brought in a stud offensive player I wouldn’t give a fvck about exposing Bastian. 

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you missed the point. If we brought in a stud offensive player I wouldn’t give a fvck about exposing Bastian. 

You're officially missing the point. If we'd have ANOTHER offensive player. The problem would NOT be about exposing Bastian anymore. It would be about exposing one of Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, McLeod, Kuookannen, wood or hischier. OR WHOEVER THAT NEW OFFENSIVE PLAYER WOULD BE. YOU CAN ONLY PROTECT 7.

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You're officially missing the point. If we'd have ANOTHER offensive player. The problem would NOT be about exposing Bastian anymore. It would be about exposing one of Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, McLeod, Kuookannen, wood or hischier. OR WHOEVER THAT NEW OFFENSIVE PLAYER WOULD BE. YOU CAN ONLY PROTECT 7.

I see. 

59 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

“Him” meant whoever the new guy was, not Bastian. It read a little weird in context.

Insert Kuokkanen or McLeod in place of Bastian then. If we had a bona fide  stud player, I wouldn’t care if either of them were unprotected as well. Not having room to protect guys like that is not a bad thing. 

I do appreciate the condescending attitude and mocking my not getting what you said with excessively large print. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I see. 

“Him” meant whoever the new guy was, not Bastian. It read a little weird in context.

Insert Kuokkanen or McLeod in place of Bastian then. If we had a bona fide  stud player, I wouldn’t care if either of them were unprotected as well. Not having room to protect guys like that is not a bad thing. 

I do appreciate the condescending attitude and mocking my not getting what you said with excessively large print. 

The big print is so you can see how correct it is. 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Would losing McLeod really be that big of a deal?  

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The big print is so you can see how correct it is. 

I thought it was to up the douche factor, thank you for correcting me!

9 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Out of what we have now, maybe. If we had literally anyone better than him, which is probably at least 150-200 guys in the league right now, then no. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Out of what we have now, maybe. If we had literally anyone better than him, which is probably at least 150-200 guys in the league right now, then no. 

I honestly think it's more like 300.  Everyone in the top nine on all 31 teams is probably better and then generously there has to be at least another 21 4th liners that are superior.   I might actually say 350   

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I honestly think it's more like 300.  Everyone in the top nine on all 31 teams is probably better and then generously there has to be at least another 21 4th liners that are superior.   I might actually say 350   

But the guy had a career year and was tied for 334th in scoring. You are going to let all that walk out the door for free??

29 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Well considering we're not exactly the Tampa Bay Lighting with insane depth. And that we're still rebuilding and really need our drafting to be on point and keep as many good assets as we can. Losing our first round pick from 2016 who proved he can be a solid 3rd-4th line center for years to come is certainly not a positive. Is it a huge deal? Wouldnt say it's terrible but i'd much rather lose someone like Johansson, which we got out of trading Anderson (3rd pick in 2016) or Bastian who was a 2nd round pick and a winger. Losing one of our first round pick who can play in the NHL would be taking a step back.

But my point is that we were obviously not going to make the playoffs this season anyway, so might as well hope the best out of it for the long run. So in hindsight and how everything went. Say Timeline A is us having another top 6 players giving us a few extra wins last season. Then the results of that is us picking  around 5-10 maybe? And then we have to expose that player, Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, McLeod, Kuookannen, wood or hischier.

Or Timeline B. Which is what we got this season. We might lose Bastian, Butcher or Johansson. The only one i'd be bummed from losing is Bastian and its simply cause he's big and has good chemistry with McLeod but he'd be easily replaceable... we have the 4th overall pick. And we can protect all those guys which i feel are all players we NEED to protect.

Personally im picking timeline B 10 times out of 10.

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well considering we're not exactly the Tampa Bay Lighting with insane depth. And that we're still rebuilding and really need our drafting to be on point and keep as many good assets as we can. Losing our first round pick from 2016 who proved he can be a solid 3rd-4th line center for years to come is certainly not a positive. Is it a huge deal? Wouldnt say it's terrible but i'd much rather lose someone like Johansson, which we got out of trading Anderson (3rd pick in 2016) or Bastian who was a 2nd round pick and a winger. Losing one of our first round pick who can play in the NHL would be taking a step back.

But my point is that we were obviously not going to make the playoffs this season anyway, so might as well hope the best out of it for the long run. So in hindsight and how everything went. Say Timeline A is us having another top 6 players giving us a few extra wins last season. Then the results of that is us picking  around 5-10 maybe? And then we have to expose that player, Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, McLeod, Kuookannen, wood or hischier.

Or Timeline B. Which is what we got this season. We might lose Bastian, Butcher or Johansson. The only one i'd be bummed from losing is Bastian and its simply cause he's big and has good chemistry with McLeod but he'd be easily replaceable... we have the 4th overall pick. And we can protect all those guys which i feel are all players we NEED to protect.

Personally im picking timeline B 10 times out of 10.

I think it might just be easier to say that the silver lining to rebuilding/generally sucking ass during the most recent expansion era is that we’re not really losing much.  

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I think it might just be easier to say that the silver lining to rebuilding/generally sucking ass during the most recent expansion era is that we’re not really losing much.  

Thank god we don’t have good enough players to protect. 

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

yes that's a sorter way to say it lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Lou wins GM of the year, again.

I generally agree with Sterio that Lou sucked at managing free agent situations, he sucked with the cap and he let Conte have a job for about a decade longer than he deserved to be employed, but I don’t think there’s ever been someone better at actually assembling a “team”.  

You know who could really use him right now to fill out their roster?  Toronto😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I generally agree with Sterio that Lou sucked at managing free agent situations, he sucked with the cap and he let Conte have a job for about a decade longer than he deserved to be employed, but I don’t think there’s ever been someone better at actually assembling a “team”.  

You know who could really use him right now to fill out their roster?  Toronto😂😂😂

You know who else? NJD. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Lou will go down as one of the best GM ever obviously. I know it appears that i hate him but its not true. And you're right Lou is really good a adding "missing pieces" to a strong core. When he took over the Islanders. He already had Barzal, Eberle, Beauvillier, Nelson, Bailey, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Pelech, Pulock, Leddy, Mayfield and Sorokin. So he had a VERY VERY solid core already. He added Palms, Zajac, Komarov, Pageau, Zajac, Martin, Green, Dobson and Varlamorv, which seem to be fitting nicely.

The thing with Lou is that, like i said, he's already going to be one of the best ever. But we'll always be wondering how much better he could have been if he would have just been willing to adjust even just slightly at times with some of the things he'd do just for the sake of doing it his way. Guys like Shero for example lost their jobs afterbeen insanely unlucky with almost all his "good paper moves" not panning out at all. Lou's downfall were always self-inflicted and more often than not could have been avoided very easily, that's what is frustrating me so much.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:
38 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Lou will go down as one of the best GM ever obviously. I know it appears that i hate him but its not true. And you're right Lou is really good a adding "missing pieces" to a strong core. When he took over the Islanders. He already had Barzal, Eberle, Beauvillier, Nelson, Bailey, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Pelech, Pulock, Leddy, Mayfield and Sorokin. So he had a VERY VERY solid core already. He added Palms, Zajac, Komarov, Pageau, Zajac, Martin, Green, Dobson and Varlamorv, which seem to be fitting nicely.

Don’t forget the most important thing Lou has done since going to the Islanders- hiring Barry Trotz.

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Don’t forget the most important thing Lou has done since going to the Islanders- hiring Barry Trotz.

Well lol I mean... Trotz decided to move on from Washington after winning a cup. One of not THE best coach in the NHL. Didn't have a job. The Islanders were the only team without a coach at that time and had a very strong roster.

Literally anyone in the world is making that call lol And with the roster the Islanders had then, plus they had Tavares still. Who would turn down that job if you're a coach without a job? 

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well lol I mean... Trotz decided to move on from Washington. Didn't have a job. The Islanders were the only team without a coach at that time and had a very strong roster.

Literally anyone in the world is making that call lol And with the roster the Islanders had then, plus they had Tavares still. Who would turn down that job if you're a coach without a job? 

Yep. But Lou still hired him, and it’s far and away the most important move he’s made there.

Edited by MadDog2020