The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Right but does the coach want to come to you is the question. Enter Lou Lamoriello and the answer becomes yes.

And that’s not speculation and hindsight, Trotz said that Lou was a big part of his decision. I don’t get why he’s overlooking that.

Also that if he remained available, multiple teams would have been willing to fire their existing coach to bring him in.

He had a sh!tload of options, he 100% did not say “only the Islanders need a coach, so I guess I will coach them”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

lol yes. Lou could have convinced Tortz to come to coach the 2014 devils and bring us to the conference finals. Totally.

And then you get mad when the Lou hater comments get thrown around lol

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

And then you get mad when the Lou hater comments get thrown around lol

Just answer. Say Tortz became available in 2014. Do you think Lou could have convinced him to take the job? And were we making the conference finals with tortz as a coach and that roster? You made a blank statement that basically Lou could hire anyone he wants no matter what roster he has.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Just answer. Say Tortz became available in 2014. Do you think Lou could have convinced him to take the job? And were we making the conference finals with tortz as a coach and that roster? You made a blank statement that basically Lou could hire anyone he wants no matter what roster he has.

No. Nor did I make any statement about roster. And not once did I say Lou was the sole factor for Trotz joining the Isles. Very weird direction to take a hypothetical. Grasping at straws now bro.

I’ll give you an out though. You agree Lou deserves credit for pulling Trotz. That’s it. You don’t even have to think it was his biggest obstacle to achieve. But Lou helped make it happen so he gets credit.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

No. Nor did I make any statement about roster. And not once did I say Lou was the sole factor for Trotz joining the Isles. Very weird direction to take a hypothetical. Grasping at straws now bro.

"Right but does the coach want to come to you is the question. Enter Lou Lamoriello and the answer becomes yes."

Well then you should specify cause you're statement was pretty damn black and white

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well then you should specify cause you're statement was pretty damn black and white

That statement is black and white, you’re right. Lou was the GM Trotz agreed to work for. That’s all that statement says and is 100% fact.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Long Island is not NYC. Just like NJ is not NYC.

It’s even worse because it’s more annoying to drive to/from Long Island. Nobody wants to do that sh!t. Every Islander fan I know was so excited they only had to drive to Brooklyn to go to games. 

Obviously, none of them live in Long Island. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He wants St. Louis, so that’ll be that. Although he does not have a NTC/NMC, so who knows. 

Tarasenko does have one, will he waive it to go to Calgary? And, does he have any gas left in the tank post-injury?

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm not really a fan of a 23 year old picking what team he wants to play for. The flames can do him a solid and get him to St Louis but just Tarasenko with his injury history and being so much older is never gonna happen unless Chiarelli is the Calgary GM suddenly

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not really a fan of a 23 year old picking what team he wants to play for. The flames can do him a solid and get him to St Louis but just Tarasenko with his injury history and being so much older is never gonna happen unless Chiarelli is the Calgary GM suddenly

I think Tarasenko needs to have a “show me” season. Show me you can play, produce and not get injured. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m tired of these guys wanting to ‘go home’. Shut the fvck up and play for the team that drafted you until you’re a UFA. I don’t need the NHL becoming the NBA where players start dictating where they go. fvck that noise.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because he’s 23 with barely four years in the league. He needs to chill.

It’s 5 seasons now, but indeed, he does need to chill. 

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m tired of these guys wanting to ‘go home’. Shut the fvck up and play for the team that drafted you until you’re a UFA. I don’t need the NHL becoming the NBA where players start dictating where they go. fvck that noise.

Yup. Go home when you are a UFA. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:56 PM, MadDog2020 said:

We are already well on our way to that becoming the norm here in the NHL - and you can thank Dubas for really getting the ball rolling by giving Matthews and Marner ridiculous RFA deals.

Players have way, way too much power right now.  RFAs should have zero real leverage until arbitration rights kick in - instead you have players coming off ELCs effectively calling the shots.

I worry about Jack's next deal.  We'll see how that ends up going soon enough.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

To me Jacks potential is still sky high but at this point that’s all his contract would be based on. Potential. I don’t think he’s been underwhelming whatsoever but I also don’t think he’s played up to the guy we’re going to eventually overpay for.

I can see a shorter deal if he doesn’t light it up next season. Like 6 mil per for 1-2 years. Then I’m guessing once he starts putting up numbers he’ll get 8x8 or something. Maybe even 9x8.

Edited by Jerzey

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you had to set a number for Jack right now, what do you pay him? Nico’s deal?

Sounds about right, if he wants to go long-term, and like Jerzey just posted, it's absolutely a "pay for potential" contract.  I like Nico and I like Jack a lot and still think they're going to be terrific players (in different ways), but man is it going to suck having both of them locked up if Nico turns out to be an injury-prone "never quite got there", and Jack never puts it all together.  But sometimes you roll the dice and hope that in Year 4 or so of their respective deals (assuming Jack is interested in a Nico-type deal), that both players are relative bargains for what they're bringing.  

• Like 1

Just for reference, Nico was 0.66 PPG in his first two years, Jack is 0.45. Granted, I do believe Nico’s rookie stats were inflated by centering the MVP, but still. 

I get the whole “production isn’t everything” people won’t care about this, but production is surely something. 

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I can see a shorter deal if he doesn’t light it up next season. Like 6 mil per for 1-2 years. Then I’m guessing once he starts putting up numbers he’ll get 8x8 or something. Maybe even 9x8.

This might be a really good idea actually. Give him that deal for 2 years and he still has 2 RFA years left. Assuming he has continued to progress in the next two years as he has the past two, he’d be looking pretty good at 8-9m per year for as long a term as he’ll agree to. 

• Like 1