The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not irrelevant at all. Do you just tell people their opinion is irrelevant in Canada and people don’t think that’s a d!ck move?

Sure, it’s not 100% effective. Not having a vaccine is 100% ineffective. 

Transmission rates are low now, and reduce that by 98% and I would be comfortable going to the arena. But you don’t have that reduction with unvaccinated people.

I didn't mean that your opinion was irrelevant, i'm actually more on your side than you might think. I meant the whole vaccinated vs not vaccinated "passport" thing that i can't really wrap my head around at the moment.

I'd understand people having to present some sort of proof that they tested negative in order to get on a plane or attend a public event. That checks out scientifically to me. Not saying it's realistic, but at least i'd get the reasoning. 

But the fact that someone just has to be vaccinated twice and they can walk in anywhere like they can't possibly carry the virus and spread it. When we know it's 100% possible that they have it, don't know at all and do spread it... it just doesn't make sense to me.

So my point was that its almost irrelevant to be vaccinated or not from some angles.

edit: Actually, MTL's coach was vaccinated and tested positive and had to stay home and couldnt coach in the playoffs... how is that different from someone going to the game while being positive even if vaccinated?

Edited by SterioDesign

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I didn't mean that your opinion was irrelevant, i'm actually more on your side than you might think. I meant the whole vaccinated vs not vaccinated "passport" thing that i can't really wrap my head around at the moment.

I'd understand people having to present some sort of proof that they tested negative in order to get on a plane or attend a public event. That checks out scientifically to me. Not saying it's realistic, but at least i'd get the reasoning. 

But the fact that someone just has to be vaccinated twice and they can walk in anywhere like they can't possibly carry the virus and spread it. When we know it's 100% possible that they have it, don't know at all and do spread it... it just doesn't make sense to me.

So my point was that its almost irrelevant to be vaccinated or not from some angles.

edit: Actually, MTL's coach was vaccinated and tested positive and had to stay home and couldnt coach in the playoffs... how is that different from someone going to the game while being positive even if vaccinated?

The vaccine is 98% effective. The other 2% of the time, whether the person has received it is irrelevant. 

I’m not sure what doesn’t make sense about that. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The vaccine is 98% effective. The other 2% of the time, whether the person has received it is irrelevant. 

I’m not sure what doesn’t make sense about that. 

Well it's a different discussion. 98% effective means you will be able to fight it and not die if you get it, it doesn't prevent you from getting it.

And you can still spread it if you have it. That's the thing, so i don't know what you don't understand from what i said. 

Why is someone who's vaccinated could potentially attend a game when an NHL coach couldnt coach while being positive and vaccinated? Where's the logic there

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it's a different discussion. 98% effective means you will be able to fight it and not die if you get it, it doesn't prevent you from getting it.

Uhh no. That’s completely wrong. That’s literally what it does, it generates a protein that stimulates the production of antibodies that prevent you from becoming COVID positive. 

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And you can still spread it if you have it. That's the thing, so i don't know what you don't understand from what i said. 

Yes, you can spread it if you have it. If you have been vaccinated, you are far less likely to “have it”. It does happen, because it’s not 100% effective. 

37 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Why is someone who's vaccinated could potentially attend a game when an NHL coach couldnt coach while being positive and vaccinated? Where's the logic there

Because, as you already pointed out, you can spread it if you have it. Their coach had it. He could spread it. The fact that he was vaccinated became irrelevant once he tested positive, he was in the very small group of people who were vaccinated and still tested positive. 

A person who has been vaccinated is far less likely to be positive, and far less likely to spread it, than someone who has an active positive COVID infection. That’s the logic. 

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Uhh no. That’s completely wrong. That’s literally what it does, it generates a protein that stimulates the production of antibodies that prevent you from becoming COVID positive. 

Yes, you can spread it if you have it. If you have been vaccinated, you are far less likely to “have it”. It does happen, because it’s not 100% effective. 

Because, as you already pointed out, you can spread it if you have it. Their coach had it. He could spread it. The fact that he was vaccinated became irrelevant once he tested positive, he was in the very small group of people who were vaccinated and still tested positive. 

A person who has been vaccinated is far less likely to be positive, and far less likely to spread it, than someone who has an active positive COVID infection. That’s the logic. 

Well you're making my point here on why i said it's irrelevant lol

The only difference is that he got tested cause he had to but nobody in the crowd has to and they could also be positive and not know about it

Plus there's the whole variants talk that is a whole other discussion and that we don't even know everything about

Edited by SterioDesign

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, you can spread it if you have it. If you have been vaccinated, you are far less likely to “have it”.

Not to mention, most if not all folks who are vaccinated and contract the virus have a very hard time spreading it due to lack of severe symptoms & reduced presence of virus particles being generated in your mucus membranes 

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you're making my point here on why i said it's irrelevant lol

The only difference is that he got tested cause he had to but nobody in the crowd has to and they could also be positive and not know about it

Plus there's the whole variants talk that is a whole other discussion and that we don't even know everything about

Ok. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

on tonight’s episode of “SD backtracks and then says ‘yes you’re literally making my point’ while cringing at his computer screen”...

There’s no way he is doing that because he’ll never realize he was wrong. 

14 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Would you guys want Eichel?

Not at what I assume the cost would be and it knowing the state of his injury. 

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

on tonight’s episode of “SD backtracks and then says ‘yes you’re literally making my point’ while cringing at his computer screen”...

I wasn't backtracking, my initial post was actually supporting mfitz stance on the whole angle of being extra safe and not wanting to expose his daughter or wtv. But he obviously took the "irrelevant" part as some sort of personal attack on his opinion and locked in defensive mode wtv i said after like he often does and it turned into a semantic argument about vaccines. Even after i said i wasn't talking about his opinion when i said irrelevant.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s no way he is doing that because he’ll never realize he was wrong. 

Dude even if some things i said were technically wrong to some level it doesnt change the fact that what i said was meant to agree with you that it was fine to be extra safe after you even said yourself that maybe it was irrational thinking. Cause there's still risks no matter what and the measures doesn't always account for that. But if you wanna get all smartass and defensive for nothing, well have a day. I was actually trying to say that you didn't have to feel like you were irrational and all that. But sure, convince yourself that im backtracking and won't admit that im wrong instead of believing that i was actually trying to be on your side, wouldnt be your first time

Edited by SterioDesign

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

IDude even if some things i said were technically wrong

There’s no “if” on that…

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Cause there's still risks no matter what and the measures doesn't always account for that.

Yes. Greatly reduced risks, which is why it’s not “irrelevant” as you claimed. Which is 1000% not agreeing with my position. You actually asked what the difference was between a vaccinated person attending a game and a guy coaching the team with an active COVID infection, and that the vaccine doesn’t prevent COVID,  it’s proof positive that you have no clue what you are talking about. 

That’s all I’m saying, I’m not “convincing myself” of anything. I wish you would backtrack because you were so obviously wrong and it’s thinking like that which allows the virus to continue to proliferate.

But as I said, there is no way that you are backtracking because you will never realize you were so wrong. But yet, you accused me of “convincing myself” you are backtracking, after I specifically said you were not. 

This is what you do. 

Edited by mfitz804

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s no “if” on that…

Yes. Greatly reduced risks, which is why it’s not “irrelevant” as you claimed. Which is 1000% not agreeing with my position. You actually asked what the difference was between a vaccinated person attending a game and a guy coaching the team with an active COVID infection, and that the vaccine doesn’t prevent COVID,  it’s proof positive that you have no clue what you are talking about. 

That’s all I’m saying, I’m not “convincing myself” of anything. I wish you would backtrack because you were so obviously wrong and it’s thinking like that which allows the virus to continue to proliferate.

But as I said, there is no way that you are backtracking because you will never realize you were so wrong. But yet, you accused me of “convincing myself” you are backtracking, after I specifically said you were not. 

This is what you do. 

No this is what you do. I meant whatever rules was in place, if you were not feeling rational for not trusting the safety measures fully and making a decision cause you were not comfortable with the situation, that it was perfectly fine cause the fact that you can still spread it even if you're vaccinated makes the rules in place not really bulletproof and there's still risks anyway.

But sure, focus on the semantics i said that were wrong cause you'd rather be a smartass instead of understanding i was trying to support your decision and be thankful for that.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Im Out GIF

It's why my initial response was "ok". 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

No this is what you do. I meant whatever rules was in place, if you were not feeling rational for not trusting the safety measures fully and making a decision cause you were not comfortable with the situation, that it was perfectly fine cause the fact that you can still spread it even if you're vaccinated makes the rules in place not really bulletproof and there's still risks anyway.

But sure, focus on the semantics i said that were wrong cause you'd rather be a smartass instead of understanding i was trying to support your decision and be thankful for that.

It's not semantics, you have no understanding of the virus, its transmission, the vaccine, or the risks associated with vaccinated, non-vaccinated, or COVID positive people. Your position was that the rules are irrelevant because people who are vaccinated can spread it anyway. That's 100% not accurate and not at all what I was saying. 

I honestly don't want to argue with you, I like you, but when one gives their opinion and someone quotes them and says its irrelevant, that's a good reason to be annoyed. All of the other stuff just kind of blew my mind, its scary that we are this deep into the pandemic and people still don't understand what's going on. Perhaps part of that is my fault, I read a lot more medical literature than anyone on this site who doesn't have a medical degree, that I can guarantee. I should be more cognizant of the fact that most people don't do that. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's why my initial response was "ok". 

It's not semantics, you have no understanding of the virus, its transmission, the vaccine, or the risks associated with vaccinated, non-vaccinated, or COVID positive people. Your position was that the rules are irrelevant because people who are vaccinated can spread it anyway. That's 100% not accurate and not at all what I was saying. 

I honestly don't want to argue with you, I like you, but when one gives their opinion and someone quotes them and says its irrelevant, that's a good reason to be annoyed. All of the other stuff just kind of blew my mind, its scary that we are this deep into the pandemic and people still don't understand what's going on. Perhaps part of that is my fault, I read a lot more medical literature than anyone on this site who doesn't have a medical degree, that I can guarantee. I should be more cognizant of the fact that most people don't do that. 

Dude holy fvck you're completely misunderstanding my stance even if i told you like 5 times now. And it's not your first time doing this with me. You're not AT ALL trying to understand what im saying.

I'm fully vaccinated. I'm not saying the rules are irrelevant at all. Honestly, can you take just 10 seconds to fvcking try to understand what im saying instead of staying in that defensive mode you're in?!

YOU said you were not comfortable taking a risk with your daughter or wtv and that you felt that maybe it was irrational to think that way but you wanted to be extra safe. And wanting to SUPPORT your fvcking stance which i assumed and projected being "i dont care what are the chances of something bad happening even if its small, im not putting myself or my family at risk if i can help it". So i said that with that mindset at the end of the day it was irrelevant what rules they had in place since we know you can still have it while vaccinated, so there's still risks. If MTL's coach had it it means the person sitting next to you in a vaccinated section could potentially also have it. Justifying you wanting to be safe and not go to games. 

Edited by SterioDesign

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Dude holy fvck you're completely misunderstanding my stance even if i told you like 5 times now. And it's not your first time doing this with me. You're not AT ALL trying to understand what im saying.

This happens constantly with whatever point you argue, with just about everyone on this site. Ever stop to think and say ‘hmmm, maybe it’s me?’

• Thanks 1

I don’t wanna use my psychology/social work training, but there’s something to be said about why he believes people aren’t listening to him/taking the time to listen to him.

I believe that in his mind he believes he has explained what he is thinking, but that his actual words “spoken” (typed in this instance) do not actually convey his thoughts. 

He’s a good enough dude, I just don’t think he realizes what he does sometimes. 

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This happens constantly with whatever point you argue, with just about everyone on this site. Ever stop to think and say ‘hmmm, maybe it’s me?’

Yeah well no sh!t, english isn't my main language and i said multiple times that i know it can make me frame things in a way that can be misleading to what i'm actually trying to say and that's understandable. But when im trying over and over to make a point, repeating that there's a misunderstanding and that the other person keep on ignoring me saying that what they are saying i said isn't what i meant and that me trying to explain it means that im backtracking, that's frustrating

You fvcking try to have tricky discussions on a daily basis in a different language and we'll see how that goes

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah well no sh!t, english isn't my main language and i said multiple times that i know it can make me frame things in a way that can be misleading to what i'm actually trying to say and that's understandable. But when im trying over and over to make a point, repeating that there's a misunderstanding and that the other person keep on ignoring me saying that what they are saying i said isn't what i meant and that me trying to explain it means that im backtracking, that's frustrating

You fvcking try to have tricky discussions on a daily basis in a different language and we'll see how that goes

If it's that, I am sorry for being too aggressive. I will try to keep that in mind. It's easy to forget because you generally do express yourself fairly well in English. It's easy to forget your ability may be limited, in some manner. 

As I said, not at all a reflection on how I feel about you, you're a good dude. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t wanna use my psychology/social work training, but there’s something to be said about why he believes people aren’t listening to him/taking the time to listen to him.

I believe that in his mind he believes he has explained what he is thinking, but that his actual words “spoken” (typed in this instance) do not actually convey his thoughts. 

He’s a good enough dude, I just don’t think he realizes what he does sometimes. 

I have no problem to admit that i'm often struggling to explain fully what im thinking cause it's not my main language. At least i can admit that.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Maybe try to explain it in in your language.  I speak a little French myself.  My kids have been really into Ratatouille lately.

I mean i'm trying to be serious and resolve this, you had to make me laugh and play the Ratatouille card??