The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Another ‘who gives a fvck’ signing. 

I’m assuming Colton White and literally nobody else. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

‘Marginally good’ is not what you trade #4 for. So whoever it is better be fvcking fantastic.

Definitely not happening unless it’s a package. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Whoooooooooo's ready for another "MB's dream acquisition" post?

Look at San Jose. As of right now, they will have to leave TWO of these names unprotected for Seattle: Logan Couture, Evander Kane, Timo Meier, Tomas Hertl, Kevin Lebanc. It is guaranteed at this point that they are going to lose a very good hockey player, and it's likely to be in the Meier/Couture/Hertl range of talent. 

One name on that list should leap out at you. Timo Meier; a former 30-goal scorer, 24 years old, right wing. His chemistry with Nico at the World's was legitimately beautiful to watch. He had a down season (only 31 points in 54 games this year) but is an obvious top-6 winger with a bright future and will still be a RFA when his current contract expires after the 2023 season. 

The Devils should trade a "B" prospect, a low-grade prospect, and the Islanders first round pick to get it done. Let's say: Tyce Thompson, Artseni Gritsyuk, and the Islanders 1st for Timo Meier. 

Imagine solving our 1st-line RW before the NHL draft even kicked off?

This is another outside the boxer, and it’s a good one. Totally on board. 

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Look at San Jose. As of right now, they will have to leave TWO of these names unprotected for Seattle: Logan Couture, Evander Kane, Timo Meier, Tomas Hertl, Kevin Lebanc. It is guaranteed at this point that they are going to lose a very good hockey player, and it's likely to be in the Meier/Couture/Hertl range of talent. 

One name on that list should leap out at you. Timo Meier; a former 30-goal scorer, 24 years old, right wing. His chemistry with Nico at the World's was legitimately beautiful to watch. He had a down season (only 31 points in 54 games this year) but is an obvious top-6 winger with a bright future and will still be a RFA when his current contract expires after the 2023 season. 

The Devils should trade a "B" prospect, a low-grade prospect, and the Islanders first round pick to get it done. Let's say: Tyce Thompson, Artseni Gritsyuk, and the Islanders 1st for Timo Meier. 

I like it but I'm sure it will cost us more than what you propose or it should if the SJ GM is doing his job properly.   How about Holtz straight up?  I mean, Meier is kind of what we hope Holtz turns into, right?        

Edited by Lateralous

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If this were the 2020 off-season it would cost more. But Meier is coming off a down year and SJ is running the risk of losing him for free. 

No, I do not give up Holtz. 

Didn't you just say he's an RFA after next year?  There's no risk that they are losing him for free.   

It's fine if you don't want to give up Holtz but I don't think your proposal comes anywhere close to landing Meier just because he had a rough season during a pandemic. I mean he still would have tied for 2nd on our team in points this year.   

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Meier would be a nice add but I’m afraid he’d cost a bit more than that. Probably need higher prospects added.

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

As it stands today, he is a leading candidate to be exposed. That's what I mean for free. 

It's not just the rough season. It's not just "he'll want a raise soon and we have a flat cap." It's not just "San Jose will likely be entering a re-build." It's not just "San Jose might lose him in an expansion draft." 

It's all 4 of those things together. 

Well, if we could really get him for the price you recommended based on those factors, I would be all for it.   He can have our 7th protection slot at the expense of McLeod or Bastian. 

11 minutes ago, devlman said:

Meier would be a nice add but I’m afraid he’d cost a bit more than that. Probably need higher prospects added.

SJ has absolutely no leverage here if they potentially have to expose Meier, so maybe a lowball offer could actually get it done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MB3 said:

As it stands today, he is a leading candidate to be exposed. That's what I mean for free. 

It's not just the rough season. It's not just "he'll want a raise soon and we have a flat cap." It's not just "San Jose will likely be entering a re-build." It's not just "San Jose might lose him in an expansion draft." 

It's all 4 of those things together. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

SJ has absolutely no leverage here if they potentially have to expose Meier, so maybe a lowball offer could actually get it done.

Wait a second.  What am I missing here?   This article doesn't seem to indicate they will have any issue protecting Meier.  Are they debating going the 4 and 4 route?   

https://www.fearthefin.com/2021/7/11/22571572/san-jose-sharks-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-primer-rules-seattle-kraken

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well, sure, but you’d have to assume if they were interested in pursuing a trade for him, we wouldn’t be the only call. So there may not be leverage, but there would be competition. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, sure, but you’d have to assume if they were interested in pursuing a trade for him, we wouldn’t be the only call. So there may not be leverage, but there would be competition. 

Probably, but it’s still a deal that’s actually in the realm of reasonable possibility. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Probably, but it’s still a deal that’s actually in the realm of reasonable possibility. 

Yes, all teams would be trying to lowball the Sharks. It could definitely get done, I just think they would probably have their choice of offers, which could push up the asking price. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I think you're overestimating how many teams can afford his contract (and his next one after that) in a flat cap with available expansion-slots. 

How many am I estimating? And how many parties does it take to open a bidding war?

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

They would be exposing Burns/Simek if they go the 7-3-1 route, which seems unlikely. 

From their standpoint, I just don't see why they don't trade the 36 year old Burns for futures and keep the 23 year old or even leave BB exposed if necessary.   If they are going into rebuild, a 36 year old does you no good anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

From their standpoint, I just don't see why they don't trade the 36 year old Burns for futures and keep the 23 year old or even leave BB exposed if necessary.   If they are going into rebuild, a 36 year old does you no good anyway.  

Burns makes a lot of money. And he’s old. So he may not be as easy to move.

I saw someone reported yesterday that Hymen wants a 7yr deal and that NJ isn't one of the teams rumored to be in on him. 

I also may need to walk back what I said about Landeskog/Avs negotiations. Lowballing your captain is a surefire way to Pietrangelo him to Vegas.

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I saw someone reported yesterday that Hymen wants a 7yr deal and that NJ isn't one of the teams rumored to be in on him. 

Damn. Even the team that doesn't exist yet is higher than us on players' lists. Bummer 

Edited by Devil Dan 56