The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

13 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Seriously? Is this a language problem or something? Separately - normal trades\moves. Together - a mistake of management and planning.

Where is the mistake?  I just explained how two of the moves were not mistakes that made sense (even if neither one works out, which sadly that looks like the direction the Johnsson deal is headed, though it's not like Anderson has done much).  Re:  Bastian...again, who did you want to see exposed instead?  

It feels like you're really reaching to find some negative trend.  I'm just not seeing dealing Anderson and Maltsev and losing Bastian as an expansion draftee as some indictment on the front office.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Where is the mistake?  I just explained how two of the moves were not mistakes that made sense (even if neither one works out, which sadly that looks like the direction the Johnsson deal is headed, though it's not like Anderson has done much).  Re:  Bastian...again, who did you want to see exposed instead?  

It feels like you're really reaching to find some negative trend.  I'm just not seeing dealing Anderson and Maltsev and losing Bastian as an expansion draftee as some indictment on the front office.    

I explained the same thing which seems pretty fair and basic.

He's then just claiming we don't understand and he won't explain again.

I really don't know exactly what he expected there. Thing is he's projecting that Graves and Johnsson we're "temporary" players. Which i'm sure wasn't the goal at all getting them.

The rumour about us trading Boqvist for Tarasenko. Now that's trading a prospect for a temporary player. But Graves and Johnsson? i really don't think so

Edited by SterioDesign

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I explained the same thing which seems pretty fair and basic.

He's then just claiming we don't understand and he won't explain again.

I really don't know exactly what he expected there. Thing is he's projecting that Graves and Johnsson we're "temporary" players. Which i'm sure wasn't the goal at all getting them.

The rumour about us trading Boqvist for Tarasenko. Now that's trading a prospect for a temporary player. But Graves and Johnsson? i really don't think so

Agree in that the goal with Graves and Johnsson was to get two players who could hopefully become part of the core.  Not looking good with Johnsson for far, but with that 33 points in 38 GP stretch he enjoyed with the Leafs, I get why Fitz took a shot there (especially given the price...and it's not like the Devils can hang onto EVERY young forward in the system.  The fact is that Anderson and Maltsev were never going to rank that high on the depth chart here, especially as the "next wave" of youth (Holtz, Mercer, etc) make their way onto the big club.  We'll see with Graves, but another deal that made complete sense. 

But yeah, there was nothing "temporary" about either guy...unfortunately, as we saw with Shero and have now seen with Fitz, these kind of deals just seem to have a way of not working out for the Devils...I'm not talking about the player or assets that go the other way turning into anything, but the end results from the players who come here.  I have my fingers crossed incredibly hard that Graves is the beginning of the end of that trend.  

So since the other thread is being dominated (rightfully so) by today's offseason action, I figured I'd come here to post this (and fvcking brag):

With the embarrassment that Chicago is, and the other conversations we've had on this board about people feeling empowered to come forward to report things, I could not be any more proud of a group of individuals who essentially work under me. Something happened, they reported it to me, within an hour  it was being handled by my bosses.

I told them I was beyond proud they had the confidence in both myself and those above me to take care of the problem while also protecting them and that it showed their trust.

God felt freaking good.

• Like 6

I mean, not that i still think that we're a shoe in for Hamilton. Yesterday helped us a lot in that regard. Philly, Chicago, Vancouver took themselves out of the race. Ive read GMs saying they hear a lot of players not wanting to go to canada because of the taxes, social media and covid restrictions. So that's helping too.With the moves Carolina made yesterday, not sure he'd want to go back there either. Seattle... they drafted so poorly i feel, they barely have an NHL roster at the moment, not that attractive for a top free agent

There's only so many teams who could actually sign him or need him so id say there's a slim chance

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

I mean, Hamilton is sort of known as a more reserved person, right?  One that perhaps wouldn't appreciate an obnoxious media market.

We have money, we have an up-and-coming team, we have a smaller media following... worst sort of grilling he'll ever get are softball questions from Amanda.

Makes a lot of sense to me.  Trying to not get my hopes up.

Edited by Devilsfan118

29 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean, Hamilton is sort of known as a more reserved person, right?  One that perhaps wouldn't appreciate an obnoxious media market.

We have money, we have an up-and-coming team, we have a smaller media following... worst sort of grilling he'll ever get are softball questions from Amanda.

Makes a lot of sense to me.  Trying to not get my hopes up.

It is a flat cap situation. This isn’t 2002 where he’ll have his pick of a rich team that’s on the upswing. 

You need teams that can: afford him, need his services (terribly), and see him fit their window. I don’t see many teams not named the Devils who fit that mold. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

and being down 2 first round picks

2 first round picks, a 2nd round pick and a top-20 prospect in the NHL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Adam Boqvist is a top 20 prospect? What the fvck happened to Jesper??

Adam was a top-10 pick who has arguments for being a top-5 pick in the draft. He was always the better player.

Jesper took a big leap between his 18 and 19 year old season, and then improved 0.0% about his game. Sucks, because he was my training camp pet 3 years in a row. 

So we're getting to a point where in 2 years... we should look like this. So we're reaching the point where we have an actual full NHL roster and it's up to players to lose their spots. Only a few spots that i feel we should target

This year i'd really target Hamilton (obviously), Danault for our 3rd line center position and Coleman for the RW.

Holtz - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha - Hischier - ???

Wood - ??? - Bratt

Foote - McLeod - Johnsson

Smith - ???

Graves - Severson

Hughes - Siegenthaler

Blackwood

???

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we're getting to a point where in 2 years... we should look like this. So we're reaching the point where we have an actual full NHL roster and it's up to players to lose their spots. Only a few spots that i feel we should target

This year i'd really target Hamilton (obviously), Danault for our 3rd line center position and Coleman for the RW.

Holtz - Hughes - Sharangovich

Zacha - Hischier - ???

Wood - ??? - Bratt

Foote - McLeod - Johnsson

Smith - ???

Graves - Severson

Hughes - Siegenthaler

Blackwood

???

I understand the idea behind not signing players top players until you're ready to challenge, but we also have to encourage a winning culture, and we need experienced, quality players to help with the growth of the young 'uns. IMO Fitz not only has to sign someone like Hamilton but has to sign one or two decent forwards as well. It'll be another wasted season if he doesn't.

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

I understand the idea behind not signing players top players until you're ready to challenge, but we also have to encourage a winning culture, and we need experienced, quality players to help with the growth of the young 'uns. IMO Fitz not only has to sign someone like Hamilton but has to sign one or two decent forwards as well. It'll be another wasted season if he doesn't.

The whole winning culture thing is mostly something fans are projecting more than anything cause THEY want the team to win.

Every interviews i heard from coaches, Fitz or the players. They are all on the same page knowing it's a process and that they are growing together. They are fighting until the last second and not giving up. Also showed good progress. There's no "losing culture" or anything like that. Those kids want to win but understand it's a process.

And obviously Fitz is going to offer a contract to Hamilton. But to set expectation that he HAS to sign him or its a wasted season is kind of a toxic mentality and a terrible way to see it. The team IS progressing, it's certainly not wasted, you HAVE to go through that. Plus It's totally outside of Fitz control if Hamilton want to sign here or not. So to fault him for players not wanting to be here is a bit silly.

We're a lot closer than it appears. Remember we lost SO many of our games by 1 goal. Mostly all tight games and basically our whole group should take a step forward and be a little better next year, just that natural progression will help a lot. Having Graves will also help our D a lot. 

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The whole winning culture thing is mostly something fans are projecting more than anything cause THEY want the team to win.

Every interviews i heard from coaches, Fitz or the players. They are all on the same page knowing it's a process and that they are growing together. They are fighting until the last second and not giving up. Also showed good progress. There's no "losing culture" or anything like that. Those kids want to win but understand it's a process.

And obviously Fitz is going to offer a contract to Hamilton. But to set expectation that he HAS to sign him or its a wasted season is kind of a toxic mentality and a terrible way to see it. The team IS progressing, it's certainly not wasted, you HAVE to go through that. Plus It's totally outside of Fitz control if Hamilton want to sign here or not. So to fault him for players not wanting to be here is a bit silly.

We're a lot closer than it appears. Remember we lost SO many of our games by 1 goal. Mostly all tight games and basically our whole group should take a step forward and be a little better next year, just that natural progression will help a lot. Having Graves will also help our D a lot. 

Maybe "winning culture" was a bit of a clumsy phrase. What I mean by that is that the team needs to start winning more games. No, I'm not saying there is a losing culture because I don't think there is, but players (both the ones we have and the ones we want to attract to the club) need to see progress, that the team is moving in the right direction. That is ultimately measured by how successful the team is on the ice. Likewise, I never blamed Fitz for players choosing to sign in NJ or not. But do I think we'll be largely treading water if we don't make a couple of significant additions?  Yes. That is in no way a toxic mentality, and neither is it an unreasonable expectation. I'm under no illusions about winning the cup anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Maybe "winning culture" was a bit of a clumsy phrase. What I mean by that is that the team needs to start winning more games. No, I'm not saying there is a losing culture because I don't think there is, but players (both the ones we have and the ones we want to attract to the club) need to see progress, that the team is moving in the right direction. That is ultimately measured by how successful the team is on the ice. Likewise, I never blamed Fitz for players choosing to sign in NJ or not. But do I think we'll be largely treading water if we don't make a couple of significant additions?  Yes. That is in no way a toxic mentality, and neither is it an unreasonable expectation. I'm under no illusions about winning the cup anytime soon.

Well i didnt really target you directly either but there's been a lot of talks on here about losing culture and as if the team was okay with losing etc.

I mean it's really hard to look at this year and not realize that we're better than where we ended up. We were missing our captain for basically the whole season, which means other players have bigger roles they are not ready to fill. We got covid and missed a lot of time. We're a super young team not even used to the NHL and we barely had practices between games. Etc etc plus we were always competitive and close in games. We had 3 rookies, 3. in the top rookies. All those guys will obviously get better. Johnsson may even get his sh!t together and contribute. I think just as is if we went into the season with this exact roster that we'd obviously do better, assuming there's no big injuries or wtv of course.

Edited by SterioDesign