Jump to content

The 2021 Offseason Thread


jagknife
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I can "understand" doom and gloom fans that just doesn't know any better and assume our GM simply sit on his hands and didn't even try to sign or reach out to anyone when we havent signed any top free agents during free agency. Or make trades during the trade deadline or wtv. Level headed fans actually understand that a GM must have reached out to 15 guys or GMs but nothing came out of it. I mean, it's incredibly dumb but at least i see where they are missing logic and where they make assumptions.

But when we've been linked to the top free agent Hamilton, to fleury, to holtby, to Ristolainen, to Tarasenko, to Lehner, to Meier, etc etc and that some people go "our GM is not doing anything"... well wtf. 

Being "linked" to a bunch of names doesn't really mean all that much...the Devils have SO much cap space that it makes perfect sense to speculate that they could land one of those players.

That being said, Fitz does strike me as not only a guy who will absolutely make a VERY concerted effort to land at least one big target this offsesaon (and in a good way...he's not going to spend money just to do it, or to land some consolation prize that he's not bullish on), but who realizes that he will have to go several extra miles, due to who he works for...I think he absolutely knows the Devils currently aren't one of those teams that can hope to attract players by its brand name alone (the way that the Rangers and some other select teams can).  

What has me hopeful is that I don't see Fitz pulling a Wilpon-era Mets kind of move, once he decides there's someone that he really wants...for example, when it comes to Hamilton, if he doesn't get him, it won't be because he didn't go above and beyond with an offer, or didn't do all that he possibly could...it will be because Hamilton simply chose to go elsewhere.  The Mets used to have a way of doing just barely enough but almost hoping to lose out, so they could say "Hey, we tried, we did have discussions."  I think Fitz will have a 7-year, high AAV offer ready to go immediately for Dougie...I just have a feeling that Fitz ain't screwing around here.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I can "understand" doom and gloom fans that just doesn't know any better and assume our GM simply sit on his hands and didn't even try to sign or reach out to anyone when we havent signed any top free agents during free agency. Or make trades during the trade deadline or wtv. Level headed fans actually understand that a GM must have reached out to 15 guys or GMs but nothing came out of it. I mean, it's incredibly dumb but at least i see where they are missing logic and where they make assumptions.

But when we've been linked to the top free agent Hamilton, to fleury, to holtby, to Ristolainen, to Tarasenko, to Lehner, to Meier, etc etc and that some people go "our GM is not doing anything"... well wtf. 

 

Bro it was a meme. Take your pomposity and go fvck yourself

I took you off my ignore list after 4 years and it only took you less than 48 hours to get back on it. Don't know why I even bothered. Your self-importance knows no bounds. You are literally THE MOST annoying fvcking poster I've ever met on ANY board. Pompous fvcking douchebag. fvcking pathetic.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Bro it was a meme. Take your pomposity and go fvck yourself

I took you off my ignore list after 4 years and it only took you less than 48 hours to get back on it. Don't know why I even bothered. Your self-importance knows no bounds. You are literally THE MOST annoying fvcking poster I've ever met on ANY board. Pompous fvcking douchebag. fvcking pathetic.

image.gif.0612087c5dc550c483abada9bbc029de.gif

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Bro it was a meme. Take your pomposity and go fvck yourself

I took you off my ignore list after 4 years and it only took you less than 48 hours to get back on it. Don't know why I even bothered. Your self-importance knows no bounds. You are literally THE MOST annoying fvcking poster I've ever met on ANY board. Pompous fvcking douchebag. fvcking pathetic.

12c8cfc9c8805802ce4f74980127536a.jpg.a24e4058d498c10a12dfac64e5a99029.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree Fitz will be aggressive w/ Hamilton. Not so much w/ Vladdy. There's a lot of tempting UFA's out there, costing us no assets. He might make a pitch for Wennberg? Danault, McCabe, M. Janmark, Blake Coleman, M. Rielly? Can't wait for Wednesday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Being "linked" to a bunch of names doesn't really mean all that much...the Devils have SO much cap space that it makes perfect sense to speculate that they could land one of those players.

That being said, Fitz does strike me as not only a guy who will absolutely make a VERY concerted effort to land at least one big target this offsesaon (and in a good way...he's not going to spend money just to do it, or to land some consolation prize that he's not bullish on), but who realizes that he will have to go several extra miles, due to who he works for...I think he absolutely knows the Devils currently aren't one of those teams that can hope to attract players by its brand name alone (the way that the Rangers and some other select teams can).  

What has me hopeful is that I don't see Fitz pulling a Wilpon-era Mets kind of move, once he decides there's someone that he really wants...for example, when it comes to Hamilton, if he doesn't get him, it won't be because he didn't go above and beyond with an offer, or didn't do all that he possibly could...it will be because Hamilton simply chose to go elsewhere.  The Mets used to have a way of doing just barely enough but almost hoping to lose out, so they could say "Hey, we tried, we did have discussions."  I think Fitz will have a 7-year, high AAV offer ready to go immediately for Dougie...I just have a feeling that Fitz ain't screwing around here.  

I hope you know that i know that. And you know my point was that it's not because there's no signings or trades that a GM didn't try to do anything. That's literally all i'm saying. 

He said he wanted to add a top 6 and a top 4 D. And those guys are available, it's 200% sure that he at least made a call to look into it. That's literally the job of a GM.

Last few years it didn't make sense either to go after top UFAs cause our team was too far from contending so it would just be wasting someone's prime years. But we're getting there now. We don't have a Hamilton in our system and we don't have the assets to get one or at least without sacrificing something else we'd need. So signing one even if the timing is slightly off maybe would still be a big win.

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I hope you know that i know that. And you know my point was that it's not because there's no signings or trades that a GM didn't try to do anything. That's literally all i'm saying. 

He said he wanted to add a top 6 and a top 4 D. And those guys are available, it's 200% sure that he at least made a call to look into it. That's literally the job of a GM.

Last few years it didn't make sense either to go after top UFAs cause our team was too far from contending so it would just be wasting someone's prime years. But we're getting there now. We don't have a Hamilton in our system and we don't have the assets to get one or at least without sacrificing something else we'd need. So signing one even if the timing is slightly off maybe would still be a big win.

And all I'm saying is that a team with mountains of cap space being linked to a list of names doesn't necessarily mean that the GM is being active...but in this particular case, I'm definitely of the very firm belief that Fitz is going to be as active as it gets (even if he doesn't land any of his top targets), regardless of who the Devils have been linked to in rumor mills.  Also in this particular case, it's not like UFAs can be signed yet anyway, so can't do anything there just yet.  And I think that Fitz really wants to see how he makes out with the UFA market before exploring trades.  I do think he has some kind of plan, and a feel for who is a realistic option for him...in other words, if he comes away relatively empty, I don't think it going to be due to lack of preparation or effort.      

If he's looking strictly at UFA options, obviously he can only be so active there, for now...last thing he'll want to deal with is tampering charges.  But it won't surprise me one bit (as soon as it's legal) if he calls Hamilton's and Coleman's agents with ironclad "I'm not fvcking around, the Devils want YOU" offers and gets those deals done quickly...and if neither party wants the Devils, he'll pivot to some other plan that won't be as sexy, but will still make plenty of sense and will help the Devils improve. 

 

And on one more note...if Fitz throws legit money at guys like Hamilton and gets shot down...man, it really is going to feel like the Devils (and/or NJ itself) are that undesirable of a destination.  Yeah, they play in Newark, which never be thought of as glamorous...but there's a legit GM in place (he'd absolutely get another gig if he wasn't here...he's been highly thought of for years), the Devils both have the money to spend and a willingness to spend it, there's a crop of promising young players who hopefully will soon start to hit their peak years...if it has be built solely from within and through trades, so be it I guess, but it really feels like a guy like Hamilton is the right player at the right time for this team...and he'll get paid extremely well to boot.  It's not like the Devils ever had him of course, but if he shoots down a legit offer...man, it's going to feel like a wide-toed boot to the balls (at least initially).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And all I'm saying is that a team with mountains of cap space being linked to a list of names doesn't necessarily mean that the GM is being active...but in this particular case, I'm definitely of the very firm belief that Fitz is going to be as active as it gets (even if he doesn't land any of his top targets), regardless of who the Devils have been linked to in rumor mills.  Also in this particular case, it's not like UFAs can be signed yet anyway, so can't do anything there just yet.  And I think that Fitz really wants to see how he makes out with the UFA market before exploring trades.  I do think he has some kind of plan, and a feel for who is a realistic option for him...in other words, if he comes away relatively empty, I don't think it going to be due to lack of preparation or effort.      

If he's looking strictly at UFA options, obviously he can only be so active there, for now...last thing he'll want to deal with is tampering charges.  But it won't surprise me one bit (as soon as it's legal) if he calls Hamilton's and Coleman's agents with ironclad "I'm not fvcking around, the Devils want YOU" offers and gets those deals done quickly...and if neither party wants the Devils, he'll pivot to some other plan that won't be as sexy, but will still make plenty of sense and will help the Devils improve. 

 

And on one more note...if Fitz throws legit money at guys like Hamilton and gets shot down...man, it really is going to feel like the Devils (and/or NJ itself) are that undesirable of a destination.  Yeah, they play in Newark, which never be thought of as glamorous...but there's a legit GM in place (he'd absolutely get another gig if he wasn't here...he's been highly thought of for years), the Devils both have the money to spend and a willingness to spend it, there's a crop of promising young players who hopefully will soon start to hit their peak years...if it has be built solely from within and through trades, so be it I guess, but it really feels like a guy like Hamilton is the right player at the right time for this team...and he'll get paid extremely well to boot.  It's not like the Devils ever had him of course, but if he shoots down a legit offer...man, it's going to feel like a wide-toed boot to the balls (at least initially).

Well yes and no. It may not be as much that NJ is not a good destination for him. But if he's okay with the money in Carolina and that he liked it there and loved the coaching and who he played with. Can't really fault him, the team WAS contending last year and did really good. Coming to NJ means taking a gamble that the team will be good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well yes and no. It may not be as much that NJ is not a good destination for him. But if he's okay with the money in Carolina and that he liked it there and loved the coaching and who he played with. Can't really fault him, the team WAS contending last year and did really good. Coming to NJ means taking a gamble that the team will be good.

That’s different.  If he chooses to stay put, I get that (and if he somehow never makes to UFA, can’t do sh!t about that).  I mean if he makes it to UFA and takes less to go to another team.  That would sting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s different.  If he chooses to stay put, I get that (and if he somehow never makes to UFA, can’t do sh!t about that).  I mean if he makes it to UFA and takes less to go to another team.  That would sting.

It would. But I have to say, a lot of the league seems to now be looking at the Devils as a team on the upswing like Colorado a few years ago. That might start to filter to free agents as well. Assuming Hamilton doesn't re-sign with Carolina, Fitz may be able to convince him that he's a major part of this team becoming a contender

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It would. But I have to say, a lot of the league seems to now be looking at the Devils as a team on the upswing like Colorado a few years ago. That might start to filter to free agents as well. Assuming Hamilton doesn't re-sign with Carolina, Fitz may be able to convince him that he's a major part of this team becoming a contender

That’s the exact argument he needs to be making. He needs to make a guy like that feel like he is going to be king. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It would. But I have to say, a lot of the league seems to now be looking at the Devils as a team on the upswing like Colorado a few years ago. That might start to filter to free agents as well. Assuming Hamilton doesn't re-sign with Carolina, Fitz may be able to convince him that he's a major part of this team becoming a contender

Yeah i think we might be seeing more and more people warming up to NJ being a good place to play based on the players we have and our potential.

All we ever had to be attractive for UFAs in the past was that we were a consistant playoffs team and had a good roster that a free agent would wanna join.

Then this was taken for granted and when we started losing on the ice and losing all our top talent. Why in hell would anyone come here? Well... we now. Over the hill guys would come to NJ with a chip on their shoulders to prove they had something left and patch holes.

We also didn't have players that were attracting. In 2015, no top wingers in the NHL were like "oh man here's my chance to be on Adam Henrique's wing on a top line".

Then we were obviously rebuilding and no 25-27 years old want to join a rebuilding team years from contending and wasting their prime years.

We're FINALLY in a spot where we have players that guys would want to play with. I can see players wanting to play with Hughes or Smith for example. And we're obviously trending up. Also from the outside looking it, it appears to be fun to play for NJ, it truly looks like the boys are having fun

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s different.  If he chooses to stay put, I get that (and if he somehow never makes to UFA, can’t do sh!t about that).  I mean if he makes it to UFA and takes less to go to another team.  That would sting.

Yeah obviously it would sting but it's still somewhat understandable if the player goes to a playoffs team. Unless a free agent would sign with like... detroit (and that he's not from there) or another team not in the playoffs... then that'd be the ultimate slap in the face lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

depth forward for depth defense. fine trade, i didn’t like merkley at all and this opens a 4th line slot for someone who might actually be worth a sh!t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About as "so what" as it gets, but teams make little "depth for depth" deals like this all of the time.  With guys like Sharangovich and Kuokkanen showing some promise (and other forwards coming through the ranks), Merkley was expendable.  Didn't feel like he was going to have much of a future here (unless a ton of guys get hurt, and he gets some time with the big club as a result).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wasn't long ago that Devils fans, including ones here, were calling Merkley part of our future after his first 4 games.

He was as expendable as they come and he was the one I really wanted the Kraken to take in the expansion draft.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It wasn't long ago that Devils fans, including ones here, were calling Merkley part of our future after his first 4 games.

He was as expendable as they come and he was the one I really wanted the Kraken to take in the expansion draft.

In fairness, last season other players simply climbed over him on the depth chart.  Not that I thought that he was a star in the making, but enough's happened that there wasn't much reason to keep giving him looks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It wasn't long ago that Devils fans, including ones here, were calling Merkley part of our future after his first 4 games.

He was as expendable as they come and he was the one I really wanted the Kraken to take in the expansion draft.

yes I too find it absolutely appalling that people change their opinion on a player after a full calendar year of poor and uninspired play. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, last season other players simply climbed over him on the depth chart.  Not that I thought that he was a star in the making, but enough's happened that there wasn't much reason to keep giving him looks. 

The other players who climbed over him were rookies and other players who were simply better.  Players who are worth keeping around actually stick around and not get penciled in as part of the future after 4 games.

Edited by DevsMan84
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.