The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My daughter (almost 13) won't drop F-bombs in front of me, but I've gotten her to admit to me that she curses among her peers...I've basically told her, "Look, watch yourself around adults and your friends' parents, but if you're just hanging out with your pals and your cursing, well...I'm not stupid, I know you do it, I've heard your friends at times, and when I was your age we cursed plenty (and I can't say that I've ever stopped)"

Basically I've told her if she slips with some bad language in front of me, I'm not going to get angry...they're just words, and a lot of people say them on a daily basis (and they're on TV constantly).  But I double-down on the "Watch it in front of others" stance.  I'm a bit desensitized, but a kid cursing left and right can sound really cringey to some people.

It’s not just the cursing, it’s the raunchy stuff. Every kid has a friend that does the whole “have you ever heard of a…?” thing. Even the girls. Which reminds me, one of the draftees this year had a name that could fill in that blank, I have to go back and look. 

4 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

That is about to happen in my neighborhood, literally across the street from one of the best pizza places in the area. Like who the hell wants Dominos in Jersey? Its like getting dunkin donut bagels, what's your malfunction?

Man this makes me miss the more "real" Bagels 4 U bagels. The only bagels down here are the DD kind. Blah.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I laughed way too hard at that.

Yeah me too. The kid shows promise. 

Imagine getting that call that your kid has been suspended…and that’s what he did. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It’s not just the cursing, it’s the raunchy stuff. Every kid has a friend that does the whole “have you ever heard of a…?” thing. Even the girls. Which reminds me, one of the draftees this year had a name that could fill in that blank, I have to go back and look. 

Yeah the raunchy stuff is a lot harder to take...when she made it clear she knew what "WAP" stands for (rapper term, I won't elaborate), that was a bit jarring.  Kids in my area tend to be on the more "innocent" side...in some ways my daughter is very mature, but in others her and her friends seem younger than they are mentally.  Her bestie looks like she's 15 but acts like she's 9 or 10.  

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, but @MB3offered to do it himself, which is nothing two consenting adults can’t just agree to. Assuming Hall would consent, which of course, how could he not?

Yeah but in this case since i'd be that girl's parent / legal gardian and that she'd be underage. Then it would require my consent. Right? 

8 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

That is about to happen in my neighborhood, literally across the street from one of the best pizza places in the area. Like who the hell wants Dominos in Jersey? Its like getting dunkin donut bagels, what's your malfunction?

My parents have a house upstate where they go for the Spring and Summer, and there are no bagel places there, so they get them from Panera. Ok, I get that. 

But then they come here, where there are bagel stores churning out hot fresh bagels all day, and they STILL go to Panera because they feel like they have to be consistent. 

We make fun of them all the time for this. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but in this case since i'd be that girl's parent / legal gardian and that she'd be underage. Then it would require my consent. Right? 

Maybe in Canada it works that way. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One time the bagel shop that I usually buy bagels from was simply unexpectedly closed...and a second bagel shop (that's solid but not my fave) was beyond packed, so I went to a nearby DD's to buy my daughter a bagel (she was maybe 7 at the time...she likes 'em plain, nothing on them at all).  She ate it, but gave a WTF is THIS?! look that made it clear that I should not buy her another DD bagel ever again.  Lesson learned.

DD has some of the best coffee around, imo, but the donuts and bagels are pretty mediocre. I think I might have actually been more impressed with the bagels you guys have up there during my first trip to NYC than I was with the pizza (although that was really good, too). I remember just even getting bagels from food trucks in the city that were amazing. I guess it has something to do with the water up there. Or so I’m told. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the raunchy stuff is a lot harder to take...when she made it clear she knew what "WAP" stands for (rapper term, I won't elaborate), that was a bit jarring.  Kids in my area tend to be on the more "innocent" side...in some ways my daughter is very mature, but in others her and her friends seem younger than they are mentally.  Her bestie looks like she's 15 but acts like she's 9 or 10.  

Do you monitor her texts? Always wonder how deep other people go into this stupid. If you do, you know which friend is the a-hole. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

DD has some of the best coffee around, imo, but the donuts and bagels are pretty mediocre. I think I might have actually been more impressed with the bagels you guys have up there during my first trip to NYC than I was with the pizza (although that was really good, too). I remember just even getting bagels from food trucks in the city that were amazing. I guess it has something to do with the water up there. Or so I’m told. 

That is what they say. I’m not sure how true that is. But sometimes the most hole in the wall place has the best bagels. There is a place here by work that looks like you are pretty likely to get stabbed if you go anywhere near it, but the bagels are worth the risk. 

Coming up on 20 years working here, have yet to be stabbed. 

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Man this makes me miss the more "real" Bagels 4 U bagels. The only bagels down here are the DD kind. Blah.

There's one near my work and I love their bagels...every now and then I'll treat my employees to a batch.

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah me too. The kid shows promise. 

Imagine getting that call that your kid has been suspended…and that’s what he did. 

When I was 12, in Health class we had to come up with an alliterative name that said something about who we were ("Active Alex", "Crazy Craig")...of course, I couldn't let an opportunity like that slide by, so for myself I came up with "Edible Eric".  The teacher said "What...Edible Eric?"  Of course I said, "Yep, that's right...Edible Eric...NOW EVERYONE IN HERE CAN EAT ME!"  The class lost it for a good 3-4 minutes.  I got a week's worth of detentions...the teacher later admitted than she had to concentrate fully on not cracking up herself, and only gave me such a harsh punishment because she didn't want anyone to think she was too soft.  My parents were kinda sorta ticked, but I could tell they thought it was pretty funny too.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's one near my work and I love their bagels...every now and then I'll treat my employees to a batch.

I thought we were supposed to be keeping it PG-13??

😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Do you monitor her texts? Always wonder how deep other people go into this stupid. If you do, you know which friend is the a-hole. 

Yeah we both check.  She does have a great circle of friends, I gotta admit.  The only two that we weren't fond of moved away.  

Some of you guys have insane memories about specific arguments. All going like 6 years ago you said this about Schneider and i said this about Greene etc etc I usually remember what's been said but not who said it.

Hell all i remember is mostly my arguments with @Colorado Rockies 1976 because we've been having the same exact debate for about 10 years now and we're just saying the same exact thing every time.

Then most of the time there's posters getting upset at me bringing up a bunch of stuff i told them in the past and i don't even know who they are and couldn't even say one thing they ever said lol 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When I was 12, in Health class we had to come up with a alliterative name that said something about what we were ("Active Alex", "Crazy Craig")...of course, I couldn't let an opportunity like that slide by, so for myself I came up with "Edible Eric".  The teacher said "What...Edible Eric?"  Of course I said, "Yep, that's right...Edible Eric...NOW EVERYONE IN HERE CAN EAT ME!"  The class lost it for a good 3-4 minutes.  I got a week's worth of detentions...the teacher later admitted than she had to concentrate fully on not cracking up herself, and only gave me such a harsh punishment because she didn't want anyone to think she was too soft.  My parents were kinda sorta ticked, but I could tell they thought it was pretty funny too.   

Yeah that’s pretty good lol. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah we both check.  She does have a great circle of friends, I gotta admit.  The only two that we weren't fond of moved away.  

Yeah I’m hoping for a little luck in that regard also. They aren’t too bad, but they love to make plans and then decide to break them. They had plans to go out on Halloween last year, talked about it for months, got coordinating costumes, and the night before one of them was just lol “I think I’m going to stay home instead”. Then my daughter had to scramble to find something to do. 

That was one of at least 50 times that has happened since quarantine. If you want to sit in your house all day, don’t make plans. I don’t have that kind of kid. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Some of you guys have insane memories about specific arguments. All going like 6 years ago you said this about Schneider and i said this about Greene etc etc I usually remember what's been said but not who said it.

Hell all i remember is mostly my arguments with @Colorado Rockies 1976 because we've been having the same exact debate for about 10 years now and we're just saying the same exact thing every time.

Then most of the time there's posters getting upset at me bringing up a bunch of stuff i told them in the past and i don't even know who they are and couldn't even say one thing they ever said lol 

Right I definitely don’t remember most of that. I like when someone remembers, the person denies it, and then BOOM, quote from 10 years ago!

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Not really, we haven't really been doing that all that much since you've been back on...and some of the times we have, you've jumped into that "But we'll never see things the same way!" box when it wasn't truly warranted.  It's fine, we get on great in a lot of other areas.  

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nah, kids are still learning their profanity the old fashioned way: half from their parents, half from school. Even virtual school. There was a kid in my daughter’s class who was suspended for logging into virtual class with the name “Harry Balls”. 

My go-to alias was Dixon Cider

Nah, kids are still learning their profanity the old fashioned way: half from their parents, half from school. Even virtual school. There was a kid in my daughter’s class who was suspended for logging into virtual class with the name “Harry Balls”. 

My go-to alias was Dixon Cider

Nah, kids are still learning their profanity the old fashioned way: half from their parents, half from school. Even virtual school. There was a kid in my daughter’s class 

Edit:help

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Every day that ends in "y" is a day that I want pizza.  And as we've been over, thank god we live in part of the country that good pizza is easily accessible.  My personal trainer grew up in Kentucky and Illinois (he's been here for about 10 years now), and he said he didn't realize how good pizza really was until he moved to this area.  Still can't figure out how chains like Domino's, Little Caesar's, Papa John's etc actually survive here...there's SO many good mom and pop options to choose from.  

I have to admit there are some mom and pop pizzerias that are just terrible.  They either undercook the pizza or burn it to the crisp.  Another is either making the sauce way too sweet or saltier than the ocean.  When I used to live in Hillsborough, we had a solid 10 pizza joints and I would rank Dominos in the middle, unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Back when I was in HS, there was a (in)famous substitute teacher who was a woman who looked like she had one foot in the grave.  She was completely out of it in the last few years.  Her way of taking attendance was to pass a sheet of paper around, have us write our names and then she would read them.  It was always amusing to hear an 80-something year old woman call out "Dirk Diggler" for attendance.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not really, we haven't really been doing that all that much since you've been back on...and some of the times we have, you've jumped into that "But we'll never see things the same way!" box when it wasn't truly warranted.  It's fine, we get on great in a lot of other areas.  

I wasnt saying its bad or anything. I'm just saying i remember this topic and with who ive had it cause we've been having the same exact debate for a decade now lol 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Bagels 4 U are always awesome.  Problem is every location I have been to of theirs have the slowest employees ever.  Still worth it as their bagels are great.

There is also a good small chain of bagel places near me called O'Bagels.  They have a line out the door most mornings but it is a well-oiled machine and the line goes quick.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Back when I was in HS, there was a (in)famous substitute teacher who was a woman who looked like she had one foot in the grave.  She was completely out of it in the last few years.  Her way of taking attendance was to pass a sheet of paper around, have us write our names and then she would read them.  It was always amusing to hear an 80-something year old woman call out "Dirk Diggler" for attendance.

In high school we had a sub who would pass around an attendance sheet. She would catch all of the “Ben Dover” stuff and wouldn’t read those, but would read out Harley Davidson, Edward Van Halen, etc. 

I remember she covered our band class once and 45-50 kids wrote about 120 extra names on the list lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It definitely took me a while to be able to differentiate all the “Devils/NJ fan xxxx” members here lol. Avi’s help, but then you have people that don’t have one. 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I wasnt saying its bad or anything. I'm just saying i remember this topic and with who ive had it cause we've been having the same exact debate for a decade now lol 

Obviously he thinks you are completely wrong lol.