Jump to content

The 2021 Offseason Thread


jagknife
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Canada has five federal political parties at the moment actually, although number five had maybe one seat only in parliament and one of the parties is Quebec only.

I prefer it to yo-yo democrat/ republic swings myself where you put a party into power just because 'its their turn'.

 

This is the extent of what I know about Canadian politics…lol

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the rangers didn't qualify Rykov today. So smaller loss on our end other than had memories about Grabner

I remember a few people being upset about losing Rykov.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya Rob ford was crazy, but we are discussing federal politics and he was a city Mayor who is now quite dead 

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:
  • This is the extent of what I know about Canadian politics…lol
  •  
Edited by Rob_Ottawa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I the only one here who keeps Googling the Devils at almost midnight somehow magically expecting the Devils to make some kind of move right about now?  In addition to checking tsn too often?  Yeah I know there’s no way but also don’t want to have to wait until Wednesday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Am I the only one here who keeps Googling the Devils at almost midnight somehow magically expecting the Devils to make some kind of move right about now?  In addition to checking tsn too often?  Yeah I know there’s no way but also don’t want to have to wait until Wednesday.

what i use is the app TweetDeck on my desktop. You can have your twitter feed, then you can add rows for specific searches. So i got my feed, then NJ Devils, then Dougie Hamilton, then Tarasenko.. so i got all those live feed open all day on my side monitor lol 1433778011_ScreenShot2021-07-27at12_51_57AM.thumb.png.f138f8b8788eceb81f1134491892b16e.png

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Saw it on NHL Tonight. Interview here:

 

Fitz is trying to add a goalie, add a Dman, and add someone up front that can score... 

Muh lort.... Just keep expectations... In... Check 

hot in herre fan GIF

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i want names

Okie dokie. 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:37 PM, sundstrom said:

2nd and Rykov. Seems a high price. 

Rykov - who knows if he even ever comes over. 

I will view after context of other trades and what they cost. 

 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:37 PM, Nicomo said:

I also am not crazy about dealing away Rykov, but they desperately needed this. Grabner scores a lot of goals. His 25 puts him 2nd on the team right behind Hall. 

 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:40 PM, Derlique said:

Yeah this will help a ton but not crazy about giving up a mid 2nd and probably our best d prospect for 20 games

 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:42 PM, mikemarc1 said:

With Sheri saying we are still in rebuild mode, that’s a pretty high price for a rental. 

Hopefully he will sign here. 

 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:56 PM, Mike Brown said:

Value wise it's a good trade.  He'll fit right in with our speed game.  Giving up Rykov and a 2nd though is a bit pricey, but if he re-signs it'd be well worth the trade.  Overall, I like it.

 

On 2/22/2018 at 10:58 PM, Daniel said:

Well, Shero wasn’t kidding.  Can’t see us making any other trades at this point.  Don’t love the idea of giving Rykov to the Rangers.  Let’s hope he’s just a replacement level guy if he ever makes it over here.

 

On 2/23/2018 at 6:18 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Holy fvcking sh!t, I just woke up to find out we traded with them? I like the move from a strictly hockey perspective, Grabner is a great fit.... but this is different than trading Rykov anywhere else. If Rykov turns out to be any good, I'm going to be pissed.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

And then there’s me. 

On 2/23/2018 at 7:16 AM, mfitz804 said:

This is kind of the exact type of move I didn’t want to see, unless Shero has a pretty good idea he can be re-signed. Not having to uproot himself and his family (if applicable) helps toward that I suppose. 

Of course, he could re-sign with them too, then the joke is on us. I’m not otherwise concerned about trading Rykov, you have to give something to get a 25 goal scorer. 

I don’t mind Grabner at all, but I’m not a fan of this move. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't live in Quebec lol

I meant Canada.

9 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Canada has five federal political parties at the moment actually, although number five had maybe one seat only in parliament and one of the parties is Quebec only.

I prefer it to yo-yo democrat/ republic swings myself where you put a party into power just because 'its their turn'.

 

I absolutely loathe the current climate of “with us or against us” extremism politics in the States. It’s embarrassing. Yea, I get that a ton of it is just based on what’s portrayed in the media and that the average American can have a civil conversation with one another, but the way the world sees us is through that projection. No side is innocent of it, either.

 

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

feels like we’ll find out today if hamilton is 80% going to be a Devil or 100% going to be a cane.

The top tweet in the Hamilton/Devils columns on Sterio’s tweet deck gave me far too much hope, and then factor in Frieds… ugh…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you’re the Devils and Hamilton’s agent says to you “trade for him, give him 8x8 and he’s yours” and Carolina offers him up for a 3rd round pick, do you do it? Does Carolina?

Youre potentially losing a 3rd round pick and adding a year of contract that you don’t “need” to, but if it guarantees the Devils the best defenseman they’ve had on their team since Brian Rafalski in 2006... seems like it might be worth it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If you’re the Devils and Hamilton’s agent says to you “trade for him, give him 8x8 and he’s yours” and Carolina offers him up for a 3rd round pick, do you do it? Does Carolina?

Youre potentially losing a 3rd round pick and adding a year of contract that you don’t “need” to, but if it guarantees the Devils the best defenseman they’ve had on their team since Brian Rafalski in 2006... seems like it might be worth it?

Considering the risks this team has taken with 3rd round picks over the last few years, I feel this is more of a certainty than a risk. Therefore, as the obvious representative of the New Jersey Devils, I’m in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If you’re the Devils and Hamilton’s agent says to you “trade for him, give him 8x8 and he’s yours” and Carolina offers him up for a 3rd round pick, do you do it? Does Carolina?

Youre potentially losing a 3rd round pick and adding a year of contract that you don’t “need” to, but if it guarantees the Devils the best defenseman they’ve had on their team since Brian Rafalski in 2006... seems like it might be worth it?

I would do that in a heartbeat.

That being said, CAN an agent do that, while Carolina still has exclusive negotiating rights?  Isn't that tampering?  I'm guessing Hamilton's agent could suggest that to Carolina that if they want to get something for a player they're almost certain to lose, that they offer Hamilton's rights to the Devils for the third-rounder...and then the Devils and Carolina could talk.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This is the extent of what I know about Canadian politics…lol

 

To explain the political climate in Canada... Its way calmer cause there's one HUGE media echo chamber and a way way smaller one. So the media are not dividing people as much like we're seeing in the US, where you basically have the CNN echo chamber and the Fox echo chamber. 

In canada we basically just have one left leaning narrative allowed and that's why we don't have freedom of speech like you guys have. Social pressure only comes from the left without much push back from the media cause they barely exist so there's no healthy balance. Plus the The overwhelming bulk of Canada’s media is bought, and paid for, by the federal government.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I meant Canada.

I absolutely loathe the current climate of “with us or against us” extremism politics in the States. It’s embarrassing. Yea, I get that a ton of it is just based on what’s portrayed in the media and that the average American can have a civil conversation with one another, but the way the world sees us is through that projection. No side is innocent of it, either.

Yeah i just addressed this in my other post and this will be my last "political" post cause this is a hockey forum lol

But yeah the divided climate sucks big time and its brainwashing everyone on both sides. But the pros of that is that there is a balance. In canada its not as much of a mess because the media, schools, everything is leaning left. So its like religions, if everyone followed the same religion and rules things would be fine, it's when you mix those and some can't accept different opinions and lifestyles than theirs thats its becoming messy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would do that in a heartbeat.

That being said, CAN an agent do that, while Carolina still has exclusive negotiating rights?  Isn't that tampering?  I'm guessing Hamilton's agent could suggest that to Carolina that if they want to get something for a player they're almost certain to lose, that they offer Hamilton's rights to the Devils for the third-rounder...and then the Devils and Carolina could talk.  

Did they do away with the open window leading up to free agency? I know the last few years there were a few days before the actual free agency period where agents were allowed to talk to other teams 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Did they do away with the open window leading up to free agency? I know the last few years there were a few days before the actual free agency period where agents were allowed to talk to other teams 

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/why-eliminating-the-ufa-negotiation-window-is-a-huge-win-for-the-players

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Did they do away with the open window leading up to free agency? I know the last few years there were a few days before the actual free agency period where agents were allowed to talk to other teams 

Assuming that the open window is still in play, then it sounds like Hamilton's agent could indeed make a proposal to the Devils...I haven't heard squat about agents talking to other teams though.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Ah, no longer a thing...makes sense why there's been no chatter with other teams then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.