Jump to content

The 2021 Offseason Thread


jagknife
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Imagine going from Tampa to Calgary lol I just can't see this, hell I'd take less money to stay in Tampa at that point lol... 

 

If Coleman wants to go to a place where he can win, why on earth is he considering Calgary? They only had 7 more wins than us. They must be backing up the money truck

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you have seen it and you feel that way, you’re the first person I met who did. 

I saw it on Broadway and I do, would have left at intermission if I was by myself. No offense not that I'd think you ever take offense anyway lol but the majority of the theatre was either middle school theatre kids or middle aged to old white people so I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that most of the people who end up seeing this show or listening to it are listening to rap and hip hop on a regular basis. 

I compare the show itself to MSG, absolutely fantastic at marketing itself both they are both still overrated and awful. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou always gets his man. Even if it's a shell of that man 10 years later. 

He's definitely gone to the former player well quite a bit, and suffice it to say the results have been rather mixed.  I could actually see Parise get off to a fairly quick start, but the problem with aging players like him is that they simply wear down over the course of the season, more than younger guys...and I could see that happening after 20-25 games with Parise (assuming he stays healthy enough to play in 70+ games)...I could see him, say, put up 8 G and 7 A through his first 20 games or so, then wind up with 30-something points in 65-70 games.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I saw it on Broadway and I do, would have left at intermission if I was by myself. No offense not that I'd think you ever take offense anyway lol but the majority of the theatre was either middle school theatre kids or middle aged to old white people so I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that most of the people who end up seeing this show or listening to it are listening to rap and hip hop on a regular basis. 

I compare the show itself to MSG, absolutely fantastic at marketing itself both they are both still overrated and awful. 

I mean, it doesn’t star Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, I’m not sure what you expected hip hop wise. It’s a Broadway show. 

And I don’t take offense, I’m aware of how middle aged and white I am lol. As evidenced by my 90’s example of rappers above (intentional, I went back and changed them lol). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's definitely gone to the former player well quite a bit, and suffice it to say the results have been rather mixed.  I could actually see Parise get off to a fairly quick start, but the problem with aging players like him is that they simply wear down over the course of the season, more than younger guys...and I could see that happening after 20-25 games with Parise (assuming he stays healthy enough to play in 70+ games)...I could see him, say, put up 8 G and 7 A through his first 20 games or so, then wind up with 30-something points in 65-70 games.   

One of the things that was brought up about Zach even back when we were speculating contract scenarios a decade ago was how his body would handle the kind of game he plays. Going to the crease and taking that pounding for the ugly goals can do a number on a player. 

I don't think it's a great move, but Lou is gonna Lou. I'm sure he feels Zach fills leadership roles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion but to me Hamilton is like those teachers we had back in school who always try to be cool except here they rap and it comes across corny as hell. Miranda is the worst of the bunch to me with his whiney nasally voice and I think it's awful. 

I think a lot of people paid a stupid amount of money for those tickets and didn't want to admit that the raps are actually awful. At the same it seems to be the majority of the people who actually like this show don't listen to any rap or hip hop to begin with so another explanation as to why they think this show is just so amazeballs. 

Man this is the most jarring thing I’ve ever read haha. I have paid $0 to Hamilton; I listen to the soundtrack WEEKLY on spotify and I’ve watched it a dozen times on Disney+. 

I’m someone who likes to pretend to himself that he has great taste in music. I listen to podcasts that break down some of the best albums of all time and feel like I know “what to look for” when a new artist drops a new album, and specifically in the rap genre it’s rare that a major label drops an album I won’t listen to. 

Hamilton is just... perfection. Laugh out loud funny at parts. Legitimately weeping at other parts. Stupidly entertaining, like “It feels like it’s been 15 minutes but we’re in the 2nd hour of the play” entertaining. Historically accurate for the most part which is unique for Broadway. Brilliant, brilliant writing, choreography, vocals. 

It is the best thing I have ever watched and it is not close. Different strokes for different folks and if you really just didn’t like it, I’m not going to convince you otherwise. But this made me feel like I was in 4th grade and someone told me they hated Christmas. My only reaction is.... “how?”. 

EDIT: and since you’re talking about middle aged white dudes, it feels like I should at least list my favorite Hip Hop / rap albums of all time. “Hamilton” would slot in at number 4. just ahead of Dre.

1. To Pimp A Butterfly

(huge gap)

2. The Marshall Mathers LP

3. Illmatic 

4. The Chronic

Edited by MB3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Man this is the most jarring thing I’ve ever read haha. I have paid $0 to Hamilton; I listen to the soundtrack WEEKLY on spotify and I’ve watched it a dozen times on Disney+. 

I’m someone who likes to pretend to himself that he has great taste in music. I listen to podcasts that break down some of the best albums of all time and feel like I know “what to look for” when a new artist drops a new album, and specifically in the rap genre it’s rare that a major label drops an album I won’t listen to. 

Hamilton is just... perfection. Laugh out loud funny at parts. Legitimately weeping at other parts. Stupidly entertaining, like “It feels like it’s been 15 minutes but we’re in the 2nd hour of the play” entertaining. Historically accurate for the most part which is unique for Broadway. Brilliant, brilliant writing, choreography, vocals. 

It is the best thing I have ever watched and it is not close. Different strokes for different folks and if you really just didn’t like it, I’m not going to convince you otherwise. But this made me feel like I was in 4th grade and someone told me they hated Christmas. My only reaction is.... “how?”. 

Would you mind naming a couple of those podcasts that break down great albums? I love that kind of stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Would you mind naming a couple of those podcasts that break down great albums? I love that kind of stuff

There is one, clear cut best podcast on the planet. It’s called “Dissect”, and I am legitimately jealous that you have 100+ episodes to listen to without having already heard them.

Also, if you aren’t a big fan of To Pimp A Butterfly, listen to their episode on that. It’s like being told how to fvck. You already know you like it, but you don’t know why.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

One of the things that was brought up about Zach even back when we were speculating contract scenarios a decade ago was how his body would handle the kind of game he plays. Going to the crease and taking that pounding for the ugly goals can do a number on a player. 

I don't think it's a great move, but Lou is gonna Lou. I'm sure he feels Zach fills leadership roles

I think his deal will be cheap enough that people will say "At least it didn't cost much."  But I don't think he's going to bring much to the table at all.

And yeah I remember when we were all talking about how he'd hold up...I'd say his career went right about the way we thought it would...he now looks like a 37-year-old without much left.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, titans04 said:

never say never kids!!

 

gotta be fake, right?

Unless by attention, you mean multiple teams noticing him and saying "do not sign him", them yes. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Both of these are fine. 

Yeah, can't see Bernier being anything less than solid in his role, really.  Good signing.

And someone will need a new autograph to add to his collection... 😉

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, can't see Bernier being anything less than solid in his role, really.  Good signing.

And someone will need a new autograph to add to his collection... 😉

Well, he has to play a fvcking game first...looking at you Crawford. 

Collection has exploded somewhat, I had to order another display case. 

 

236DDE6C-7280-436E-A01E-7BF8BB5824F3.jpeg

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.