Playoffs

point

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

He'll be back, don't feel too bad.

Pray he retires after realizing  he can't make the lineup on a good team.

Honestly, I like the dude, seems like a good guy, but I also don’t really want him back. 

Unless he wants Nas or Recchi’s job, I might be willing to talk about that 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, I like the dude, seems like a good guy, but I also don’t really want him back. 

That would be cool, but we'll have none of that we're all set in the ass coaches dept.

27 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Don't know that I agree with this but I also don't play in the NHL so

For what it’s worth, Perry was shaking the gloves and was ready to go, but as I said, he kind of just took it. 

I also don’t agree. I am 100% in favor of this stuff when a guy is taken out maliciously, but this wasn’t that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Weird how quickly things can change.  Travis was enjoying one of the most productive runs of his latter career, just before he was dealt...5 G and 9 A in 16 GP.  Now he's a healthy scratch.

I get that sometimes you roll the dice when you're a team like the Isles...and of course it's not like that series is over by any stretch.  But I'm glad that Fitz was able to finagle a first-rounder out of that deal...solid job there.  I also get the feeling more and more than Fitz has completely turned the page, when it comes to either Palms or Zajac have any chance of returning as players.  And that's fine.      

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Don't know that I agree with this but I also don't play in the NHL so

This is where hockey is about 4 decades behind other sports IMO.   What does a half assed fight where one guy knows it was unintentional and the other guy just kind of takes his lumps, in the middle of an empty building with no fans, actually “settle”?  

Not to be overlooked, Montreal scored about a minute after the “fight”.  

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

This is where hockey is about 4 decades behind other sports IMO.   What does a half assed fight where one guy knows it was unintentional and the other guy just kind of takes his lumps, in the middle of an empty building with no fans, actually “settle”?  

I don’t think it really compares to other sports, maybe in baseball with pitchers throwing at guys or hard sliding, but it definitely is an old, outdated mentality. 

If Perry hit him from behind into the boards and knocked him unconscious, and someone wants to step up and fight him, I’m all for that kind of self policing. But this play was so far from that, Perry didn’t even knock him down, he was already down and Perry couldn’t avoid him. There was no retaliation needed in that situation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

4 decades behind what, exactly?  What's the alternative to Foligno dropping the gloves with Perry in a customary fashion?  Just....not dropping the gloves, and continuing the game?  I don't really get your point.  

Maybe you're right, and it doesn't actually settle anything, but even if it's not really "helping" the game in any way, does that necessarily mean it's "hurting" the game?  Are you suggesting Foligno should have received something more than a major penalty for enticing Perry to fight after the injury?

Edited by NJDfan1711

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

4 decades behind what, exactly?  What's the alternative to Foligno dropping the gloves with Perry in a customary fashion?  Just....not dropping the gloves, and continuing the game?  I don't really get your point.  

Maybe you're right, and it doesn't actually settle anything, but even if it's not really "helping" the game in any way, does that necessarily mean it's "hurting" the game?  Are you suggesting Foligno should have received something more than a major penalty for enticing Perry to fight after the injury?

i think he's just sayin the fight wasn't needed (i agree) and that it makes the league look like a joke(disagree, because not many people watch hockey)

my personal opinion.. fight was pointless. i actually felt bad for perry. guy almost killed someone and then someone wants to fight over it when it was obviously accidental. 

23 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

i think he's just sayin the fight wasn't needed (i agree) and that it makes the league look like a joke(disagree, because not many people watch hockey

I do t worry about this “how the league looks” concept. I don’t necessarily think a fight between two guys makes a league look any way in particular. It did make Foligno look bad in my opinion, although as I said, Perry was ready to do it AND you could say his team got a boost from it since they scored right after. 

51 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

4 decades behind what, exactly?  What's the alternative to Foligno dropping the gloves with Perry in a customary fashion?  Just....not dropping the gloves, and continuing the game?

That’s pretty much what should have happened. 

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It’s a simple point.   Every other sport can handle freak and accidental injuries without having a staged fight afterwards.  It absolutely makes the league look like a joke.   The old (really old) excuse is that you have to let the players police themselves.  This wasn’t  Domi on Niedermayer where I would have been all for letting Steven’s out of the box to rip his head off and sh!tting down his neck in that moment.  To me, this would be like if someone on the Washington Redskins felt like they had to step up and fight Lawrence Taylor on the next play after he accidentally broke Joe Theissmans leg.  

What did it accomplish?  Now that Nick Foligno stepped up and challenged Corey Perry to a half assed fight, will it make Perry think twice before the next time he unavoidably collides with someone’s head while they’re in a prone position?   

Edited by Lateralous

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

It’s a simple point.   Every other sport can handle freak and accidental injuries without having a staged fight afterwards.  It absolutely makes the league look like a joke.   The old (really old) excuse is that you have to let the players police themselves.  This wasn’t  Domi on Niedermayer where I would have been all for letting Steven’s out of the box to rip his head off and sh!tting down his neck in that moment.  To me, this would be like if someone on the Washington Redskins felt like they had to step up and fight Lawrence Taylor on the next play after he accidentally broke Joe Theissmans leg.  

What did it accomplish?  Now that Nick Foligno stepped up and challenged Corey Perry to a half assed fight, will it make Perry think twice before the next time he unavoidably collides with someone’s head while they’re in a prone position?   

I agree with you that it wasn't really necessary for Foligno to go after Perry since it was an accident, but what I strongly disagree with is that because he did go after him, that it somehow damaged the league's reputation and makes the NHL a "joke".   I mean really, what's the harm?   It was a 30-45 second "fight' that, if anything, was more customary than an actual fight.   Again, from a logical perspective I agree that he shouldn't have had to go after Perry since he admitted it was an accident and therefore no real "revenge" was needed, but in the sense that he wanted to set a tone for his fallen captain and raise the morale of his teammates, I don't really see a problem with that.  How exactly does the small fight make the league a "joke"?  I think that's a huge overreaction on your part, and I really think the incident is pretty insignificant.   I think you're making it out to be way more than it actually is/was.  As I said in my original post....it doesn't help the league, but it doesn't hurt the league either.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree with you that it wasn't really necessary for Foligno to go after Perry since it was an accident, but what I strongly disagree with is that because he did go after him, that it somehow damaged the league's reputation and makes the NHL a "joke".   I mean really, what's the harm?   It was a 30-45 second "fight' that, if anything, was more customary than an actual fight.   Again, from a logical perspective I agree that he shouldn't have had to go after Perry since he admitted it was an accident and therefore no real "revenge" was needed, but in the sense that he wanted to set a tone for his fallen captain and raise the morale of his teammates, I don't really see a problem with that.  How exactly does the small fight make the league a "joke"?  I think that's a huge overreaction on your part, and I really think the incident is pretty insignificant.   I think you're making it out to be way more than it actually is/was.  As I said in my original post....it doesn't help the league, but it doesn't hurt the league either.  

We’re talking about a league that is forever chasing the casual sports fan as their holy grail, so I think things like this do hurt the overall perception.  

I was primarily watching Tampa vs Florida last night but for whatever reason I caught this live.   Personally, after 2 scary minutes of thinking I might have just watched someone’s career end (or worse), Toronto’s GM running down the stairs from his booth in a total panic, another 10 minutes of replays and them cleaning him up off the ice, and then the relief after all of that of seeing him give the thumbs up on the way out, the staged fight afterwards just seemed completely lame. 

My wife was asleep but if she were watching I could imagine her looking at me and sarcastically saying “was that part of the code?”  We can agree to disagree here but I think that stuff makes the NHL seem like a 2nd rate sport.   

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I don't think it was necessary but i don't see how it's making the league look like a joke.

Theres casually fights around the league ALL THE TIME after like... a team gives up a goal or anything.. just to give a moral boost to the team. That's actually part of the freagin video games lol

So how is trying to fight to give a boost to your team after all your teammates just saw their captain and good buddy go down like this? Some were fvcking crying on the ice.

So how is it dumb to try to give them a boost then? When we see it all the time after a goal or a simple hit to a top player or wtv? 

Just now, Lateralous said:

We’re talking about a league that is forever chasing the casual sports fan as their holy grail, so I think things like this do hurt the overall perception.  

I was primarily watching Tampa vs Florida last night but for whatever reason I caught this live.   Personally, after 2 scary minutes of thinking I might have just watched someone’s career end (or worse), Toronto’s GM running down the stairs from his booth in a total panic, another 10 minutes of replays and them cleaning him up off the ice, and then the relief after all of that of seeing him give the thumbs up on the way out, the staged fight afterwards just seemed completely lame. 

My wife was asleep but if she were watching I could imagine her looking at me and sarcastically saying “was that part of the code?”  We can agree to disagree here but I think that stuff makes the NHL seem like a 2nd rate sport.   

I get where you're coming from (I too was watching TB/FL so I didn't see the incident live), but while I agree that the fight wasn't necessary, I just fail to see the harm, even if it was in fact unnecessary.   

I mean, if I was a casual fan, tuning in for the first time, or the fifth time, do you really think that fan, after seeing that fight, is going to say "oh wow, that was so unnecessary, it was clearly an accident, I am never watching this sport again!"?   I think a reasonable person, understanding the game of hockey and how fights, while not "allowed" (if you fight, you get a 5 minute penalty, so fights are not "allowed" in hockey, despite how much some people say they are), are still a prevelant part of the sport and it makes sense for someone to feel empowered and fired up after their captain just went down, and take our their aggression on an opponent.  

In all honestly, I wouldn't have blamed Foligno if he went after anyone on the Habs, but of course it made sense for him to go after Perry, since the incident just happened to involve him.   Put yourself in Foligno's shoes.  Your role on the team is a veteran enforcer. It's the playoffs.  You just saw a teammate get seriously hurt.  He is your captain.  Hockey is a physical and contact sport; and, accident or not, if that doesn't fire you up and want to get your juices flowing, I question whether or not you're a "foxhole guy" and if I'd want you in my corner when it matters most.  

That's just my opinion though, obviously; and I respect your opinion on the matter. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't think it was necessary but i don't see how it's making the league look like a joke.

Theres casually fights around the league ALL THE TIME after like... a team gives up a goal or anything.. just to give a moral boost to the team. That's actually part of the freagin video games lol

So how is trying to fight to give a boost to your team after all your teammates just saw their captain and good buddy go down like this? Some were fvcking crying on the ice.

So how is it dumb to try to give them a boost then? When we see it all the time after a goal or a simple hit to a top player or wtv? 

1000000% agreed.

Foligno told Perry before fighting that he knew it was an accident but that its their captain so he has to do something, thats it.

I mean.. people can think its dumb and i totally get it. But then if that's dumb... how dumb is... 3 fights right off the faceoffs against the Rangers? literally nothing happened before right? So how is that celebrated and amazing. But a player fighting to boost his team after they all think that their captain may be seriously fvcked or suffered a career ending injury, it was fvcking scary

• Like 1